HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looks like we are playing Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2007, 04:31 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
Not realy, considering Ottawa had a BRUTAL start to the season adjusting to their many different chamges to their team over last year. Since December, no teams had better record than Ottawa, Vancouver, and the Pens Also not ws Ottawa and all the teams above playing better hockey than the Sabres, but Ottawa was the only team in the east to bash around the Sabres this season throught 5 to 3 including some blowout games, 3 wins in Buffalo ice. But then again that was only regular season.

That said, Ottawa is basicaly the Sabres except with better higher end talent both up front and on defense as well. They are also massively more physical than the Sabres as well as being just as fast. When you add speed, talent, and hitting all together it is lethal as the pens who just couldn't lose since December found out.

But the most impressive thing about them was that they can be extremely physical WITHOUT taking themselves out of the play deffensively, mostly on the forecheck. So whomever is playing them in rounds 2 and 3 had better well have Dman that excell in moving the puck quickly and not afraid to take punishment/pay teh price to make quick plays. Otherwise you are one and done against them.

I just think whoever earned the 1st seed, usually didn't do it sleep walking, so until they are bested they're still number 1. I do agree that Ottawa is a scarier team to face right now.

Then again, whoever takes us for granted, might run into a few difficulties of their own.

Old
04-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Phil333

Should be a great series. I think we are playing better than them right now but it will be no cake walk. I'll go Rangers in 6 but could easily be Sabres in 6. They are a very impressive club.

Old
04-21-2007, 04:36 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Like Kurt Russell said in "Miracle"

" We can beat these guys"

Old
04-21-2007, 06:44 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
If we play Buff..its going to be TOUGH. No questions asked. If anyone thinks we have the upper hand they are mistaken.

Lundqvist is going to have to play like he has been, the defense is going to have to play as well as they did vs ATL and the offense is going to have to play just as good for us to win this. A lot of things have to come together for us to advance. This is going to be the complete opposite almost of the first round which featured a very physical team.

We play smart, aggressive hockey vs Buffalo and we will have a chance.

I could easily see this game hitting game 7..but at the same time I could see this being a short series if one team doesn't play their A game while the other does.

I'm not too Thrilled about playing Buffallo either, But I suppose Tampa could pull out a miracle, assuming they dont than we have to face the music, Buffallo could really kill us with speed & passing, The Defense is going to have to stay tight & not get beaten to the outside or oddman rushs, The forwards have to forecheck and get the puck in deep each & everytime the puck is carried in, Netural zone turnovers will kill us!
As always, we have to shoot the puck!
our grinders & hitters have to hit people, I would dress Hollweg for a couple of games as well.
This is no time to be changing up the defensive pairings either, Rachunek does not play unless he has too.
Lundquist will have to steal the series buy standing on his head.

Old
04-21-2007, 06:47 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Like Kurt Russell said in "Miracle"

" We can beat these guys"

Sure we can beat these guys, but we could easily lose to them too, we can't forget what got us here & have to continue to do all the little things that carried us this & far & not forget to change things up when we need to adapt.

Old
04-21-2007, 06:47 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
I just think whoever earned the 1st seed, usually didn't do it sleep walking, so until they are bested they're still number 1. I do agree that Ottawa is a scarier team to face right now.

Then again, whoever takes us for granted, might run into a few difficulties of their own.

I dont think anyone is taking us for Granted anymore!

Old
04-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
If the Rangers try to skate with the Sabre's, you won't last, but if they get physical in their own zone, and in front of the Buffalo net, then it could be a tough series for us.
I don't think there is any risk that we will play a run and gun type of game, we will slow down the tempo as usual with our 1st line, they will create allot of offense. I think we saw that during the season too, our top line were defenitly able to push down Buffalo.

I think the key for us is to just keep it thight defensivly. You guys have so many players that can finnish off plays, so thats a tremendous challenge for our blueline and Lundqvist.

I think there is a great risk that NYR will have a slight advantage in terms of shots and puckpossesion, but Buffalo will be the more effective team. So I would give a slight edge to Buff if I were betting. But on the other hand, if one team will dominate this series, I think it will be NYR. If we can be effective offensivly and get proportional offense from our puckpossesion. I don't think you guys will run over us unless something major happends...

Old
04-21-2007, 08:20 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'd tell you the lineup change I wouldn't make is Rachunek for Pock. I'm not a big Pock but he has played better then Rachunek..
Agreed. At this point, especially against a team like the Sabres, you just cannot take the chance that Rachunek comes back rusty. More to the point, even at his zenith, I do not believe that Rachunek played better than Pock.
Quote:
The Sabres to me are a better version of the Rangers....
Interesting comparison. I would probably agree, save for the fact that I believe that the Rangers have the goaltender who is playing the best in the playoffs. The Sabres have such a deep lineup. One would hope that Avery can do enough to throw them off their game. And Hollweg too for that matter. He may take a penalty for a borderling hit and the result could be a PP goal against, but done at the right time and with the right player, it may be enough to get some of their players running around and chasing him.

Old
04-21-2007, 08:23 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Buffallo could really kill us with speed & passing,
As shown time and time again, the most skilled team is not the one that frequently wins. Ottawa learned their lesson. For several years, they were the most skilled team in the league and the 'Leafs physically beat them out of the playoffs. Now, look at the way that they handled the more skilled 'Pens. Ottawa is built to win when it counts the most.

One can hope that the Rangers are taking a similar path. They are much tougher to play against and much more grittier than the version that got swept out of the playoffs last year, but are they tough/gritty enough to win a 2 month-long war of attrition? We shall see.

Old
04-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Just a hunch, but I think Avery will torment Briere. Briere has a past of being a cheapshotter and someone who can't take a hit. God forbid he crosses paths with Sean.
Briere can take a hit (he's very good in the corners); he just can't dish 'em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
Is this guy the next Cam Neily or something?

How effective will a 4th liner with little talent who hasn't played for the better part of the season be against the Rangers??
You highly underestimate Gaustad. He is the Sabres best faceoff guy, grittiest forward, and can pot 10-15 goals a season.

The big quandary now is who sits for him.

I'm still hoping Tampa wins their series; I don't want to face the Rangers until you knock off Ottawa

Old
04-21-2007, 09:11 AM
GeorgiaSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I'm more scared of Ottawa than Buffalo. I think Ottawa has a much better "Playoff team" than Buffalo does. With that said, Buffalo is still a massive favorite over the Rangers.
Everyone is scared of Ottawa. I was pumped when you beat Atlanta so we wouldn't have to play them. But whoever wins this series will likely have to play them in the ECF.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:14 AM
GeorgiaSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
As shown time and time again, the most skilled team is not the one that frequently wins. Ottawa learned their lesson. For several years, they were the most skilled team in the league and the 'Leafs physically beat them out of the playoffs. Now, look at the way that they handled the more skilled 'Pens. Ottawa is built to win when it counts the most.
The Pens may have a couple of young skilled superstars, but Ottawa has far more skill throughout their 4 lines overall.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

Hey, choosing between OTT and BUFF is choosing between the lesser of two evils...I wanted no part of OTTAWA yet and glad it will be Buffalo...BUT, they are still a damned good team that scares the hell out of me

SPeed and skill, with enough grit throughout the line-up..All four lines can skate and play...It would be assinie to dress ORR unless Peters is brought in...Isbister is also on the slow side, so it means Holly should play UNLESS the Rangers decide to bring up a WOlfpack forward despite what it does to the Pack's chances..

However, the big change from the ATlanta series will be on the defense...The Sbares have 6 D-men that can smartly play Defense and hit a little and, more important, all can smartly move the puck...There will be so much more transiton from them--and with speed--compared to the Thrasers....Also, their forwards will be on our D so much quicker and faster then the Thraser forwards which will maximize the importance of our decison making back there..It will take a great effort to beat the Sabres (same thingwith Ottawa!)

Old
04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'd rather play Buffalo, but that's just me.

Either way I think NJD Vs. TBL is going to 7 games. I think Tampa's gonna with at home.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreDr View Post
This will be an exciting series. Just some things Rangers fans might consider about how the Sabres played against the Islanders. Max Afinogenov, Tim Connolly and Al Kotalik had just returned prior to the end of the season due to long term injuries. I think they will improve now that they have had some playing time and conditioning during the NYI series. Also, the Sabres coasted for the last part of the season. I think this playoff series got the fire back in them. Finally, the Islanders were not your typical 8th seed. If they had Ryan Smyth and Bergeron all year long and Dipietro didn't get injured they would have been a higher ranked team...Anyway, it should be an exciting series. Both teams have a lot of skill and the games should be fast paced.
The Isles atleast was a good 8th seed. If you look closely at them though, they were outshoot for a vast majority of games the entire season, even late in the season with Smyth and Bergeron.

But they are a tough team to beat. They got a dangerous mix with Blake, Smyth, Hunter and Asham among others who works really hard, along big and nifty guys like Kozlov, Satan and Yashin. They worked hard all season.

I do think NYI put up a much better fight then what Pitts did against Ottawa.

I would take Ottawa over Pitts. They haven't proven me much, IMO that series had the lowest quality of all QF's, or atleast the little I've seen of it. Ottawa were skating hard, but it didn't take anything extra for them to beat Pitts, Pitts only had a few solo attacks from Crosby and not much else.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Hey, choosing between OTT and BUFF is choosing between the lesser of two evils...I wanted no part of OTTAWA yet and glad it will be Buffalo...BUT, they are still a damned good team that scares the hell out of me

SPeed and skill, with enough grit throughout the line-up..All four lines can skate and play...It would be assinie to dress ORR unless Peters is brought in...Isbister is also on the slow side, so it means Holly should play UNLESS the Rangers decide to bring up a WOlfpack forward despite what it does to the Pack's chances..

However, the big change from the ATlanta series will be on the defense...The Sbares have 6 D-men that can smartly play Defense and hit a little and, more important, all can smartly move the puck...There will be so much more transiton from them--and with speed--compared to the Thrasers....Also, their forwards will be on our D so much quicker and faster then the Thraser forwards which will maximize the importance of our decison making back there..It will take a great effort to beat the Sabres (same thingwith Ottawa!)
But, when the IceHoles we able to get the puck deep and drive the net, Buffalo looked ordinary. Again, I have a lot of confidence in this team right now. I have no fear playing any of the teams left in the playoffs. We've been playing pressure hockey for almost three months, and we've got a goalie who's been as good as anyone since Christmas.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:29 AM
bubba5

We can't go run and gun with Buffalo, we need to cycle in the offensive zone and not have any turnovers on the blue line. Keep the puck deep and we will have a good series, start throwing the puck blindly and up the middle and Lundqvist have target practice on him.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:31 AM
NYRchick

Well,it is like choosing the lesser of two evils when it's between Ottawa and Buffalo. I'd imagine either will be favored over the Rangers,despite how they took care of the Thrashers.It'll obviously get tougher now,no matter who they face,and I'm dreading facing either of them. Given how close the Islanders played Buffalo,those games coulda gone either way.I guess I'm banking on that happening this time too(with obviously the Rangers prevailing),especially with the way Hank is playing in net.The only thing the Rangers can do is just stick to what got them this far,and not deviate from that.

Does it seem as if I'm worried? Well,yes,I am.I know there are some fans that are confident in this team.I prefer to be...cautiously optimistic

Old
04-21-2007, 09:36 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
This thread is kinda pointless.

Everyone on this site are saying the same things.

Buffalo fans saying " The Rangers are scary ".
Rangers fans saying " Ottawa is scary ".
Ottawa saying " Both are scary ".

etc. Its all going around.

Old
04-21-2007, 09:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The Rangers will beat everyone and no one is scary. Just give us the damn Cup!

Old
04-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
But, when the IceHoles we able to get the puck deep and drive the net, Buffalo looked ordinary. Again, I have a lot of confidence in this team right now. I have no fear playing any of the teams left in the playoffs. We've been playing pressure hockey for almost three months, and we've got a goalie who's been as good as anyone since Christmas.
True, but driving to the net isn't our strong suit!

But seriosuly, while I agree that this team is playing about as well as it can, I'm not crazy about playing a fast, deep, all around team.Not saying we can't beat them, but it is going to be a HUGE step up from Atlanta and anything else from the past two months..It will be great to watch!

Old
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Sabres have to step their game up to another level and tighten their play or you guys can easily win this series.

Old
04-21-2007, 10:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think this series will also come down to damage control for both teams...

Staying tight on defense for the full 60 minutes.
Making quick changes and getting the right matchups out quickly.
Limiting back to back power plays and 5 on 3's
Not letting goals in 2 at a time.

I know these things sound like no brainers and they are, but when things go right for either of these teams they usually lay it on for the rest of the night. Both teams thrive on confidence they build during games, especially early.

Interesting stat: Buffalo was the best team in the league winning more than 50% of the games when trailing first. Thats well beyond the rest of the league, no where close to 50%.

The first goal, which proved to be huge for the Rangers in the series against Atlanta, cannot be relied on as a sort of a fail-safe in this series. Has to be balls to wall for the entire game for the Rangers if they wanna win. Building on the lead is imperative.

Old
04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I think Hollweg has to play instead of Orr. I don't think Buffalo has many tough guys unless Renney feels Orr is better defensively than Hollweg.

Old
04-21-2007, 11:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Nothing has changed for me since the start of the playoffs. The Rangers can beat any team right now. And they could lose to any team right now.