HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gratton recalled!!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Subban Fan

vCash: 500
Gratton recalled!!!

He will play tomorrow against the Leafs...Good move!

CKAC

Old
12-19-2003, 08:57 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Good for him. The only thing I worry about is losing him to waivers if Gainey tries to send him down again. Hopefully he plays with Ward, see if they've still got it together with eachother.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Habber

Great news. Good to see the kids get a chance.

This could mean the end of Audette, or at the very least I'm sure Audette will be the one scratched tomorrow night. I hope he never makes it back into the lineup.
Also indiactes that Perrault won't be ready either.

Will Gratton play 2nd or 4th line?

Bulis Koivu Ryder
Zed Ribs Dags/Gratton
Sunny Juneau Dackell
Langdon Kilger/Gratton Dags/Gratton/Kilger

Old
12-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Guy!

Two trains of thought here: he's here to replace Audette for a significant period of time or he's here in place of Ward who may not be returning.

I would guess that it's probably the former, though I wonder how well he'll do in the long run in the NHL. He's another guy who, while he does well in the AHL, might just not have what it takes to be successful at the NHL level. Certainly, at his age you have to start to wonder why he's never had much more than a glimpse.

Having said that, there's no denying that either Gratton or a pet of his would probably work harder and be more useful in the scheme of things than was Audette. He's going to work withing Julien's system and will bring a work ethinc to the table which is something that poor Donald seems to have checked at the door.

Short term it seems more injury replacement than anything else - probably Perreault not being able to go for tomorrow night, but since he has to hit the waiver wire if he's sent down, then I would guess that Gratton is here for some time, perhaps even for showcasing. Time will only tell, but he's an upgrade on any number of non-achievers at this point and someone who will bring positives to the table, even if they're limited.

Personally, I think the best part of this callup is what it does with the 'Dogs. We now take off the elder statesman and, depending on what they do with Ward, who I have to assume is on his way to Montreal in the coming days, that leaves a whole on the top line for another of our youngsters to step in. Good news for the Milroy's et al who are needing more ice time.

ACF

Old
12-19-2003, 09:01 AM
habsfan19

maybe the end of Kilger too, he hasn't really done anything this year
but we'll see how it goes with Gratton in lineup, what type of player is he? I don't think I've actually seen him play before but I know he's doing very well in the AHL

Old
12-19-2003, 09:05 AM
BigM1ke

Has Ward been called up too?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Komi, did CKAC give any update on Perreault's condition? is Gratton up because YP can't go and they want to sit Audead and Kilger's *****?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:07 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan19
maybe the end of Kilger too, he hasn't really done anything this year
but we'll see how it goes with Gratton in lineup, what type of player is he? I don't think I've actually seen him play before but I know he's doing very well in the AHL
I've always thought of Gratton as a hard working guy, with some decent skills who is strong on his skates and not afraid to get his nose dirty.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
Has Ward been called up too?
They didnt mentionned it...

Old
12-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Komi, did CKAC give any update on Perreault's condition? is Gratton up because YP can't go and they want to sit Audead and Kilger's *****?
They said that Perreault and Brisebois followed the team but they are questionnable for tomorrow...Gratton will play even if Perreault is in the lineup...

Old
12-19-2003, 09:12 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
I've always thought of Gratton as a hard working guy, with some decent skills who is strong on his skates and not afraid to get his nose dirty.
Well that's exactly what he is

Old
12-19-2003, 09:13 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
They didnt mentionned it...
Damn.. I would have really loved to see both Gratton and Ward play vs the Leafs... We need Ward's bodychecks badly cuz the Chad ain't able to bodycheck a fly on the ice!

Old
12-19-2003, 09:15 AM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Is that Marc from HabsRus? If so, pm me, will you?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Démon Blond

Quote:
the Chad
Why is it that every time you call Kilger like that I see that loser in Charlie's Angel?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:16 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Démon Blond
Why is it that every time you call Kilger like that I see that loser in Charlie's Angel?
hahaha you're talking about Tom Green

Old
12-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Well that's exactly what he is
Yep, and he's like _really_ hard to knock off the puck from what I've seen. The only thing he does wrong is sometimes he does those little passes where there's no one, for no reason.. Other than that, he's a good player. I can't wait to see how he will look in an NHL game!

Old
12-19-2003, 09:19 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Actually Gratton is alot like Steve Begin, heart and soul player, not too big, they're the same height actually at 5ft11, but they both play with grit/heart/intensity, they're the same age too, come to think of it, they are former teammates

Btw i am REALLY happy about Gratton getting recalled. This adds grit and intensity and character!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Yep, and he's like _really_ hard to knock off the puck from what I've seen. The only thing he does wrong is sometimes he does those little passes where there's no one, for no reason.. Other than that, he's a good player. I can't wait to see how he will look in an NHL game!
Dagenais already said earlier this month that he has never seen a hockey player playing with his heart like Gratton is doing.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

During the last Hamilton game, they said that Ward would be up for the leafs game saturday, but that he would play friday night in Rochester against the Amerks. I hope that's still the plan. I'm not a big Gratton fan, but it's about damn time they called him up. You have to give the guy a chance when he's one of you top AHL players two years in a row. Gratton has really picked up the scoring over the last two years, but his size will cause him trouble.

Gratton Ward would be really cool to see. Sit Audette, sit Kilger or Langdon (who needs to stop talking stupid penalities) Play Ward and Gratton together!

Old
12-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Fla15

Is it possible he was brought up because we're making a trade tonight? This is pure speculation (wishful thinking) on my part but why bring up another centerman. Even with Begin on the shelf we've got Koivu, Ribero, Juneau and Yannic. Heck, Kilger can play centre as well. It just seems odd. True, they could throw him on the wing but why? That just displaces someone else. I don't think they brought him up to showcase, it would make no sense with the Christmas trade freeze going into effect at midnight. I would think they would just leave him in Hamilton until the freeze is over and then bring him up if they were thinking about showcasing.

Oh to be fly on the wall.

Seasons greetings everyone.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:26 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla15
Is it possible he was brought up because we're making a trade tonight? This is pure speculation (wishful thinking) on my part but why bring up another centerman. Even with Begin on the shelf we've got Koivu, Ribero, Juneau and Yannic. Heck, Kilger can play centre as well. It just seems odd. True, they could throw him on the wing but why? That just displaces someone else. I don't think they brought him up to showcase, it would make no sense with the Christmas trade freeze going into effect at midnight. I would think they would just leave him in Hamilton until the freeze is over and then bring him up if they were thinking about showcasing.

Oh to be fly on the wall.

Seasons greetings everyone.
Perreault is injured and he probably won't play. And the Chad sucks.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:28 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Démon Blond
Tom Green aint no loser!

Old
12-19-2003, 09:32 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
Tom Green aint no loser!
Well in this movie he sure is

Old
12-19-2003, 09:37 AM
crakced

He is probably being called up because of the injury to Begin, the ineffectiveness of Kilger and Audette and the unknown extent of the injury to Perrault.

Ward was sent down on a conditioning stint, meaning he didn't have to go through waivers...but he can only be sent down for 2 weeks at a time. So Ward will be back up.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Wow, i'm really surprised by this move. It came out of nowhere. I'm also surprised it happened before Gainey moved anyone(Audette, Perreault, Kilger). I'm hoping they're going to give him a decent chance, but if its for only 1 game or 2, its not worth bringing him up at all.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:45 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Wow, i'm really surprised by this move. It came out of nowhere. I'm also surprised it happened before Gainey moved anyone(Audette, Perreault, Kilger). I'm hoping they're going to give him a decent chance, but if its for only 1 game or 2, its not worth bringing him up at all.
If Gratton is doin' his job fine when Perreault comes back, expect a trade or Audette being put to Waivers.

Closed Thread