HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny, Part II

Old
04-22-2007, 07:22 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Shanny, Part II

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...fensive-2.html

Quote:
Of course, to hear linemate Martin Straka tell it, Shanahan's return would have been a bonanza for the Rangers even if he never regained his on-ice form.

"Shanny's always Shanny, whether he scores goals or not," Straka said. "He's just an unbelievable guy in the locker room. He gives you support and he knows what it takes to win the games and win the Cup.

"Whether he's playing his best or not, the presence he's got in the locker room and on the ice and in the defensive zone is unbelievable - we didn't have that before. When he talks, everybody shuts up and listens."
Yeah, Ryan Smyth can fill those shoes.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
yea, I mean, he is just not a leader at all, it's all just a joke this whole leadership thing, he doesn't bring anything to the table in the locker room

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:22 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...fensive-2.html

Yeah, Ryan Smyth can fill those shoes.
what does ryan smyth have to do w/this?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
what does ryan smyth have to do w/this?
Some people in rangerland feel that we should try to sign him next season and not resign Shanny

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
Some people in rangerland feel that we should try to sign him next season and not resign Shanny
Sounds like some folks in rangerland are on some serious drugs and are completely delusional.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:28 PM
True Blue

At this point, I would hope that all "Shanny should not be resigned" discussions can be put to bed. He is revered in the lockerroom and is the best influence on the younger teammates. I almost get the idea that Avery is afraid to let him down. With his performance in the playoffs, he has shown that he is more than capable of stepping up to the plate when the team needs him the most.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho, shanny should be offered 1 year contracts till he decides to hang em up.

the guy can still play, and is changing the personality, the look, and the feel of the team to one i think all ranger fans can, and should be proud of. hes a keeper.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Shanny should not be resigned....

not at 4 million a year..

Not when he is going to be 39 years old

Not when he showed a lack of scoring at even strength..

Not when the Rangers can replace HIM with guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, or other prospects...

His leadership IS OVERRATED...What else is Straka going to say?

Again to many Rangers fans consider shanny a close personal friend...Instead of looking at the guy for what he really is...

A 39 year old who can't handle a full 82 game schedule...

Avery doesnt' want to let Shanny down?

Funny because Avery played his best hockey with Shanny not in the lineup...

The whole team did down the stretch...

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 04-22-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Shanny should not be resigned....

not at 4 million a year..

Not when he is going to be 39 years old

Not when he showed a lack of scoring at even strength..

Not when the Rangers can replace HIM with guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, or other prospects...

His leadership IS OVERRATED...What else is Straka going to say?

Again to many Rangers fans consider shanny a close personal friend...Instead of looking at the guy for what he really is...

Avery is playing his best hockey right now...... Thats with Shanny in the line-up......

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:40 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Funny, I see a 39-year-old who would have scored 30 goals had he not been part on incidental violent collision which had nothing to do with ability to stay healthy for 82 games. I also saw a 39-year-old who scored 3 goals in his 1st four PO games, one of which was a GWer, while the other was a game-tying goal in the 1st round clincher. I also see him as someone teammates have openly claimed as having a profound influence on this club. I see a player who sets a great example both on and off the ice. I see a player who busts his butt in the same manner a Jed Ortmeyer does when the game is on the line, including diving to blocks shots AFTER coming back from a concussion. I see a smart player who understands the game comepltely and plays the game the way I want everyone of our young players to play. I guess we're not seeing the same player.

Last edited by jas: 04-22-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old
04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
The Thomas J.*

I had said earlier in the Year That Shanny Reminded me of Messier when he was here on & off the Ice, he did everything, score set up goals play D backcheck, kill pens stood up for the team, FIGHTS!
His injury may have inspired the team not to let him down!
Plus he wanted to be here, he took less money to be here, he saw a challenge & met it head on! Just like The Messiah!
his leadership qulaitys get him an extension right off the back, anyone who thinks he isn't resigning or does not want him to resign just is not seeing the big picture.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Fletch

SoS...

Shanny went through a dry spell that the coach did not help - you do not have a 38 year old playing 20+ minutes and killing penalties. That's one big reason for Shanny's tailing off - he was exhausted. As mentioned in a previous thread, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back if he's going to be in a bit of a reduced role - again, second PP unit, no PK time, and a bit less ES time - getting him around 16 or so per game total. I think the leadership skills are there and if a guy like Dubi makes it up, and with Callahan hopefully here all season, and a couple other younger guys, they can only benefit from having a guy like him in the locker room and on the ice and at dinner, etc. These guys can have a tremendous affect on yoots.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 05:12 PM
eco's bones

Shanny does seem to have a big influence off the ice. I've heard numerous remarks for instance from the young guys coming in that Shanny is the first one to take them under his wing--so to speak. He's a steadying influence. I do agree that we should sign him one year at a time as long as he's an effective player. He was very effective this year--his numbers suffering due somewhat to his injury and also to the numerous linemates he played with including some who weren't able effectively to create offense at the NHL level--maybe also from playing too much in situations in which he shouldn't have.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Dawes can replace Shanahan in NY about as good as I can replace Dawes in Hartford

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs

Last edited by Brian Boyle: 04-22-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Shanny went through a dry spell that the coach did not help - you do not have a 38 year old playing 20+ minutes and killing penalties. That's one big reason for Shanny's tailing off - he was exhausted. As mentioned in a previous thread, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back if he's going to be in a bit of a reduced role - again, second PP unit, no PK time, and a bit less ES time - getting him around 16 or so per game total. I think the leadership skills are there and if a guy like Dubi makes it up, and with Callahan hopefully here all season, and a couple other younger guys, they can only benefit from having a guy like him in the locker room and on the ice and at dinner, etc. These guys can have a tremendous affect on yoots.
less time at 4 million a year?

why would the Rangers do that?

You know for all the talk about Shanny and his leadership how come nobody can explain where it was until March?

How come the Rangers got hot RIGHT AFTER Shanny got hurt?

Was he still in the lockerroom giving his teammates his 20 years of wisdom?

no, he wasn't...

Look Shanny is an important part of THIS TEAM...It doesn't mean he has to be next season..If Shanny wants to make 2 million next year then Welcome back..Anything more then that can be spent on actual team needs...

We have seen other guys overstay there welcome on this team...Other players with that "leadership" pedigree..

Shanny had trouble scoring at even strength after December 1st...

Shanny scored 3 playoff goals...BUT one was a great setup by Avery...One went off a thrashers player and in the net...Lets not go crazy here.....

I like Shanny I always wanted him on this team...But at his pricetag he isn't worth another season....

Old
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
John Torturella

You think they should resign him?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Funny, I see a 39-year-old who would have scored 30 goals had he not been part on incidental violent collision which had nothing to do with ability to stay healthy for 82 games.
He would've scored 30 goals but his production was WAY DOWN before his injury..We are talking about a guy that scored 2 even strength goals from December 4th until he got hurt..A guy making 4 million bucks a year went two months with 2 even strength goals...2 months!!

Quote:
I also saw a 39-year-old who scored 3 goals in his 1st four PO games, one of which was a GWer, while the other was a game-tying goal in the 1st round clincher.
one was off a great setup by Avery...the other off a thrasher...

Quote:
I also see him as someone teammates have openly claimed as having a profound influence on this club.
where was this "profound influence" From October to March?

Quote:
I see a player who sets a great example both on and off the ice.
How does he set this example? Are you in the dressing room? come on tell me what he does off the ice...when things were at there worst this season..When guys like Jagr were pointing at themselves shanny was pointing at everybody else...in mid january when this team was struggling on the power play...wasn't it shanny that spoke to the media about it..wasn't it shanny that mildly pointed fingers at others..yup..it was..LEADERSHIP...
Quote:
I see a player who busts his butt in the same manner a Jed Ortmeyer does when the game is on the line, including diving to blocks shots AFTER coming back from a concussion
. so we are giving credit to shanny for playing the way he should...great job shanny...

Quote:
I see a smart player who understands the game comepltely and plays the game the way I want everyone of our young players to play. I guess we're not seeing the same player

I can appreciate what shanny has done but to pay him another 4 million a year when he can't handle major minute is crazy...It's stupid...It's something that happened from 98-04 to the Rangers...I hope they have learned there lesson about paying guys for there name vs what they are worth...It's clear some rangers fans haven't learned that lesson...

But hey what's the point in having young 2nd and 3rd line players when you can pay a guy 4 million bucks a year to do that job...

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 04-22-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old
04-22-2007, 07:10 PM
shoothepuck

While many of the above points are valid, don't see NY not signing him for another year.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:15 PM
philbo

Quote:
Funny, I see a 39-year-old who would have scored 30 goals had he not been part on incidental violent collision which had nothing to do with ability to stay healthy for 82 games. I also saw a 39-year-old who scored 3 goals in his 1st four PO games, one of which was a GWer, while the other was a game-tying goal in the 1st round clincher. I also see him as someone teammates have openly claimed as having a profound influence on this club. I see a player who sets a great example both on and off the ice. I see a player who busts his butt in the same manner a Jed Ortmeyer does when the game is on the line, including diving to blocks shots AFTER coming back from a concussion. I see a smart player who understands the game comepltely and plays the game the way I want everyone of our young players to play. I guess we're not seeing the same player.
Very Well Said!

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
how much do powerplay goals count for in a game? I know that ES and SH goals count for one goal each, but how much are powerplay goals worth? must be like .4 or .5 of a goal reading this thread...

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Fletch

SoS...

leadership may not always lead to direct victories, but there are few in professional sports who would deny it exists. While it's tough to take what everyone says at face value, I'm going under the assumption that Shanny was a positive influence on this team and that he will be a positive influence on any kids that may come through the system. You can point to the team taking off post-Shanny (as if somehow holding Henke back, who was a primary reason for the surge, among others), but this team also wiped up in the first round, which it couldn't do last season. I'm not going to say he's the reason, but if one can say the team surged without him, then one can say that it surged with him. So to me, that's a wash, and as I mentioned, I'm going on good faith that this guy will be a positive influence and that leadership means something. $4MM? I dunno - gotta see where the cap is, where other players are, and what the budget is.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

Shanny scored 3 playoff goals...BUT one was a great setup by Avery...One went off a thrashers player and in the net...Lets not go crazy here.....
Someone STILL has to put the puck in the net. As good as Avery passed the puck, it means nothing until Shanny uses his release. Which we all know is elite.

Old
04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

also he woulda had 5 goals had it not been for 1 amazing save by hedberg and one helluva whiff by him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
leadership may not always lead to direct victories, but there are few in professional sports who would deny it exists. While it's tough to take what everyone says at face value, I'm going under the assumption that Shanny was a positive influence on this team and that he will be a positive influence on any kids that may come through the system. You can point to the team taking off post-Shanny (as if somehow holding Henke back, who was a primary reason for the surge, among others), but this team also wiped up in the first round, which it couldn't do last season. I'm not going to say he's the reason, but if one can say the team surged without him, then one can say that it surged with him. So to me, that's a wash, and as I mentioned, I'm going on good faith that this guy will be a positive influence and that leadership means something. $4MM? I dunno - gotta see where the cap is, where other players are, and what the budget is.
$4 million for no further commitment than one year at a time, especially when the production was there, makes a lot more sense than trying to sign a Ryan Smyth, especially when somebody, be it Wang, one of Montreal or Toronto, or a Western team with cap space, is bound to give him a 6 year, $36 million contract.

Old
04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
eco's bones

I don't see the Rangers going heavy in the UFA market in the off season. Too many prospects coming up who are close to fill up the gaps. Maybe a 2nd line type of center. Our D looks okay and Kaspar, Weekes and Ozo's contracts are off the books. Give Nylander a nice raise. Ditto for Avery. Qualify Rachunek. Shanny about the same as he's getting now and a big one for Henrik and that should about do it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote