HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Timonen Tidbit

Old
04-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Interesting Timonen Tidbit

I was looking at some of the UFA d-men on the market and I figured that Schneider was the only one with any sort of a connection to montreal. I wouldn't mind Schneider coming to montreal but I doubt he wants to come here at this point in his career.

Well, It turns out that Timonen also has a bit of a connection to montreal. Apparently, Kimmo and Saku are pretty good friends. Infact, Timonen phoned to ask saku what the habs secret was for coming back from a 3-1 series defecit against the bruins. Timonen relayed the message from saku to his team. (I caught Chris Cuthbert telling this story on TSN tonight.)

Now, I know that just because they are friends, it doesn't mean he will sign here (ie Selanne).... but it doesn't hurt to have a connection anyways. Hopefully saku does a good selling job because Timonen is the kind of puck moving D that can make these forwards better.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Chris Cuthbert says that Timonen called Saku?

I dont know... skating on very thin ice there. This aint 'American Idol', hehe...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I'd venture to say Timonen is as important to Nashville as Markov is to the Habs. He's a great Dman and the team captain. I'm guessing they'd let Kariya walk if it meant they could sign Timonen. I'm sure he's going to sign well before July 1st. If he doesn't, well he's one more guy, along with Rafalski, who will generate a massive bidding war among almost all teams with money to spend.

I think we might want to aim lower. If Souray and Markov are re-signed, I wouldn't be against the idea of going after Tom Preissing to complete the top-4. All depends on what Ottawa's plans are for him, but I would assume with the numbers he's been putting, he'll get quite a substancial raise over his actual 600K salary. Don't think Ottawa can afford that if they plan on keeping Redden too. Plus they have a very strong D even without Preissing.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
I also think Preissing would be a good guy to get but i dont think Ottawa wouls let us have him since they kno wthat with our youg talent we'll be breathing down their necks starting next year.

Yeah: Pittsburgh ahve a lot of talent since thye managed to finish last a couple of times but our picks are quite good too. And we did it without making efforts to finish last.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
I'd venture to say Timonen is as important to Nashville as Markov is to the Habs. He's a great Dman and the team captain. I'm guessing they'd let walk Kariya if it meant they could sign Timonen. I'm sure he's going to sign well before July 1st. If he doesn't, well he's one more guy, along with Rafalski, that will generate a massive bidding war among almost all teams with money to spend.

I think we might want to aim lower. If Souray and Markov are re-signed, I wouldn't be against the idea of going after Tom Preissing to complete the top-4. All depends on what Ottawa's plans are for him, but I would assume with the numbers he's been putting, he'll get quite a substancial raise over his actual 600K salary. Don't think Ottawa can afford that if they plan on keeping Redden too. Plus they have a very strong D even without Preissing.
Nashville may well sign timonen, you make a good point. Its just that they have such a great d-core and a couple solid prospects on D coming up as well. It makes sense that they will do what they can to sign timonen but they may have something else up their sleeve as well considering their depth on D.

Guys like Hamhuis, Suter, Weber and such are getting a bit more seasoned and experienced. As they continue to progress, their roles and responsibilities will become bigger and larger. Perhaps, in the cap world, they can afford to let timonen go for this reason.... or maybe its just wishful thinking on my part.

But like you said, if markov and souray are back, its all moot point because the habs will likely not have the dough required to entice timonen.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Nashville may well sign timonen, you make a good point. Its just that they have such a great d-core and a couple solid prospects on D coming up as well. It makes sense that they will do what they can to sign timonen but they may have something else up their sleeve as well considering their depth on D.

Guys like Hamhuis, Suter, Weber and such are getting a bit more seasoned and experienced. As they continue to progress, their roles and responsibilities will become bigger and larger. Perhaps, in the cap world, they can afford to let timonen go for this reason.... or maybe its just wishful thinking on my part.

But like you said, if markov and souray are back, its all moot point because the habs will likely not have the dough required to entice timonen.
solution...let souray go

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:32 AM
le_sean

Quote:

Not to mention they still have Marek Zidlicky and Cody Franson/Kevin Klein (both transition defencemen) have the chance of coming up next year. Still a very solid group. This way they can re-sign Kariya and another player if need be, like the centreman that they want (could you imagine Briere with that team? Wow).

The Habs really need a Timonen, help the transition game past Markov. If you can have Markov, Timonen and Streit on different pairings, than your transition game is going to look damn good and balanced. Plus if Souray goes, we get a really good player to replace him on the PP. Obviously not the same shot, but still has a good one. Teams will probably be paying the same for both guys, and at a high price I would rather have Kimmo.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:47 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I was looking at some of the UFA d-men on the market and I figured that Schneider was the only one with any sort of a connection to montreal.
Chelios?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Chelios?
He said UFA, not players with OASDI.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Timonen will be re-signed by the Predators, sadly. As others say, they'd let guys like Kariya (or Hartnell!?!? ) walk first, then if for whatever reason they still felt budget constraints, they'd trade Zidlicky, etc. Well, one never really knows. But it's hard to see Timonen hitting the open market. I actually wouldn't mind if he signed fast with the Preds, 'cuz it could set a decent precedent for our guys signing too.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 04-23-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:05 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Chelios?
Chelly will soon be the only guy playing,drawing a salary, and be able to activate his PA Pension...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Timonen will be re-signed by the Thrashers, sadly. As others say, they'd let guys like Kariya (or Hartnell!?!? ) walk first, then if for whatever reason they still felt budget constraints, they'd trade Zidlicky, etc. Well, one never really knows. But it's hard to see Timonen hitting the open market. I actually wouldn't mind if he signed fast with the Preds, 'cuz it could set a decent precedent for our guys signing too.
*whistles sweet melody*

Lapsus

I think Nashville is in a situation where they could push for their prospect to take more place on the team, allowing them to keep their offensive punch.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:22 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
I'd venture to say Timonen is as important to Nashville as Markov is to the Habs. He's a great Dman and the team captain. I'm guessing they'd let Kariya walk if it meant they could sign Timonen. I'm sure he's going to sign well before July 1st. If he doesn't, well he's one more guy, along with Rafalski, who will generate a massive bidding war among almost all teams with money to spend.

Ask to nomorekids.

They weren't that impress by his play this season. Their priority appear to be Hartnell. Then, they'll likely have to choose between Timonen and Kariya. Their captain versus the fan favorite.

If they really had the choice, they would obviously retain Timonen. That said, they know that he will likely get a big contract on the market and they don't feel good about giving him such a contract. They also feel that Kariya would gladly resign for a little raise.

I don't know what will happen for sure but I wouldn't say that Timonen will stay in Nashville. That's about 50/50 right now.

At 5M$, I would take him for sure before Souray. No doubt about that.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

I'd be very happy if we could get Timonen. If Souray chooses to leave I would be very happy with Markov and Timonen. I'd even say I'd probably rather Timonen over Souray. But we need that slapshot from the point...

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:48 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'd be very happy if we could get Timonen. If Souray chooses to leave I would be very happy with Markov and Timonen. I'd even say I'd probably rather Timonen over Souray. But we need that slapshot from the point...
Let's do like a lot of clubs and put a forward as our QB; I even dare to say that Kovalev has more quality as a QB on PP than as a RW.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn....

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
GNick42

Quote:
I was looking at some of the UFA d-men on the market and I figured that Schneider was the only one with any sort of a connection to montreal. I wouldn't mind Schneider coming to montreal but I doubt he wants to come here at this point in his career.

Well, It turns out that Timonen also has a bit of a connection to montreal. Apparently, Kimmo and Saku are pretty good friends. Infact, Timonen phoned to ask saku what the habs secret was for coming back from a 3-1 series defecit against the bruins. Timonen relayed the message from saku to his team. (I caught Chris Cuthbert telling this story on TSN tonight.)

Now, I know that just because they are friends, it doesn't mean he will sign here (ie Selanne).... but it doesn't hurt to have a connection anyways. Hopefully saku does a good selling job because Timonen is the kind of puck moving D that can make these forwards better.
Yeah...I was watching that also. Timonen is one of the UFA I would definitely be watching if I was Gainey. Montreal is in a position to offer him big money if we do not resign Souray

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yann View Post

You should be a humorist
I'd like to thank you for bringing what you did to our discussion . Now get off our board.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 02:43 PM
FF de Mars

If we dump the proper players, we have enough money to build the perfect defence (or what could be the perfect defence in two years) :

Timmonen-Komisarek
Markov-Emelin
Souray-O'Bryne

Souray plays on the third pairing, so he plays less at 5 on 5, but plays every single minute of powerplay we have, even when we alternate lines.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 04:42 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

If we do sign Timonen, Souray will go, we need a forward too so we can't afford Kimmo and Sheldon. I would gladly take Kimmo over Sheldon cuz Kimmo is so good in the transition game and much better defensively than Souray and can let a cannon go as well (maybe not as good as Sheldon though).

Just imagine...

Markov-Komisarek
Timonen-Emelin
Streit-Gorges
Cote/O'Bryne

bye bye Dandy and Bouillon.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn....
Not a bad choice, he definitely has the shot.

04-21-2007, 06:52 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn....
Of course there is always Kovalev who had a career year playing the point on the PP in Pittsburgh.

Old
04-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Of course there is always Kovalev who had a career year playing the point on the PP in Pittsburgh.
Almost forgot about poor Kovy...he would definitely be a good choice.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Almost forgot about poor Kovy...he would definitely be a good choice.
I don't think it's Gainey's style to rely on a forward to QB a PP, if he doesn't get Souray he will get someone with a shot, to at least go on the 1st unit with Markov.

Plus we can't forget Streit, he has a nice blast, he just needs to work on the accuracy in the offseason as it is a little sporadic. I'd rather him on the 2nd unit though.

Old
04-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He was good in Pitts on the point, but the Pens had such a different PP. With Lemieux, jagr..changes everything.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote