HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Holy *****, we are the winners of the Comrie sweepstakes!

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Holy *****, we are the winners of the Comrie sweepstakes!

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/

Old
12-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Dr Love

I don't really like this deal. Hopefully I'm proven wrong though. This move comes as a complete surprize.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
It really does come as a surprise. What is the difference between our deal and Anaheim's though? We are in the east and won't play Edmonton as much?

Could Woywitka play for the Oilers this season?

Old
12-16-2003, 11:00 AM
devildan

holy ****

Old
12-16-2003, 11:05 AM
ComrieFanatic

did bobby clarke not just say 2-3 weeks ago when there were rumours of him going there that there was no way they needed and or wanted a small centre, especially with Handzus, JR and Primeau already at centre....

Old
12-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Brad*

I really donít know what to think about this trade, except to be surprised. Wow, I really didnít expect this at all.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:08 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Well, as long as you sign him, congrats guys. Another consistent offensive weapon for an already potent group. Once he's ready, he'll contribute big-time. Once again we screw up the development of a young talent and trade him for "the future"......and not even a sure future.....

Old
12-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic
did bobby clarke not just say 2-3 weeks ago when there were rumours of him going there that there was no way they needed and or wanted a small centre, especially with Handzus, JR and Primeau already at centre....
Where have you been? He does that stuff all the time.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic
Remember when he said he wasn't going to trade for a goalie? The next day, Sean Burke was a Flyer.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:19 AM
JCD

Seems like a bad trade to me.

Where will Comrie play? Will he be half as effective in the East playing the trap? Why mortgage our future to improve what was already our strongest position?

Most importantly, does this really improve our chances of a Cup now or in the future?

Old
12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD

Where will Comrie play? Will he be half as effective in the East playing the trap? Why mortgage our future to improve what was already our strongest position?

Most importantly, does this really improve our chances of a Cup now or in the future?
Don't really see how this is mortgaging our future. We gave up a potentially good defensemen for a proven good young center. The guy is only 23 and is a fast, skilled center, it's not as if he is 32. Centers like him don't grow on trees. Perfect compliment for Gagne and Willy. Maybe one of the fastest lines in hockey. I can't wait!!!

Old
12-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD

Holy crap JCD posted on the Flyers board!

I think that this could improve the chances. As I said in another thread, the so called "big guns" on this team just don't get it done against the Devils and Sens. Comrie is a fresh face who doesn't have that mental block against those teams, and he could be a key player against them. In time we'll see.

I'm not too keen on this trade right now. But the Flyers needed a playmaker, and that is what Comrie is. I'm interested to see who he plays with.

Old
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Any word on when Comrie will start playing? Is he in game shape? Is he in Philadelphia...he was in Phoenix earlier this week...? Any chance he will play tonight against Calgary?

The deal is pretty even i guess...IMO.

Old
kastaure

Send a message via MSN to kastaure Send a message via Yahoo to kastaure
First congrats Guys.... you get a good player in that "small" Comrie.

Second, where the hells is he gonna play ? 4th line

With Roenick, Primeau secured for the upper 2 lines it make Handzus and Comrie for the 4th one...

My team will have problem playing their best line against your 4th line.

Is it the time to trade Primeau out of Philly ? Could it be the reason why they got Comrie ?

Old
12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Slats432

I think this trade is a help both teams trade. When you guys need a big goal, Comrie will be there to help with some offensive flair.

Up until training camp, everyone in Edmonton would have loved to have the kid back.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
Don't really see how this is mortgaging our future. We gave up a potentially good defensemen for a proven good young center. The guy is only 23 and is a fast, skilled center, it's not as if he is 32. Centers like him don't grow on trees. Perfect compliment for Gagne and Willy. Maybe one of the fastest lines in hockey. I can't wait!!!
Well, we did at least give up less for Comrie than we did for Oates
:p

Woywoitka and a 1st are two pieces of our future. Comrie is but one. We didn't get raked over the coals, but I don't see the point in this trade.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastaure
First congrats Guys.... you get a good player in that "small" Comrie.

Second, where the hells is he gonna play ? 4th line

With Roenick, Primeau secured for the upper 2 lines it make Handzus and Comrie for the 4th one...

My team will have problem playing their best line against your 4th line.

Is it the time to trade Primeau out of Philly ? Could it be the reason why they got Comrie ?
Hitchcock plays all four lines during the first two periods, and mixes and matches through out the game, so being a on line per se isn't as big of an issue as it is on other teams. Because he's coming in to the season so late, he'll start off with limited ice time most likely anyway.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:31 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Holy crap JCD posted on the Flyers board!

I think that this could improve the chances. As I said in another thread, the so called "big guns" on this team just don't get it done against the Devils and Sens. Comrie is a fresh face who doesn't have that mental block against those teams, and he could be a key player against them. In time we'll see.

I'm not too keen on this trade right now. But the Flyers needed a playmaker, and that is what Comrie is. I'm interested to see who he plays with.
I am not holding my breath on Comrie being the go-to player we need though. We didn't get a SuperStar, we got Comrie.

Honestly, I am not too keen on the Flyers chances this year even with Comrie. Devils and Sens are still the better teams.

As for combinations, we have some latitude. Primeau played LW in Detroit, but we need his face-off skill at center. JR didn't play well on the wing and neither did Handzus. It could be another Gratton situation where we have to many at the same position and not enough flexibility to get them into the line-up.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:17 PM
leafaholix*

Wow, talk about overpaying.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
So...

Roenick
Primeau
Handzus
Comrie
Eric Chouinard

Are the flyers going to trade one of their center's?

Cuz as it is, when Comrie is signed, i'm sure you flyer nuts will go even nuttier with a line like Gagne, Comrie, Kapanen or whatever, the amount of speed on that line would be nuts.

So would you guys be unloading a pricey centerman like Primeau or Roenick to shore up something else like a better defensemen than Weinrich?
Chouinard isn't a centerman. I don't think they are gonna unload anyone. I think Zues will play the 4th line like he has been playing the last few games. Prim is an UFA at the end of the year so who knows waht his future holds. I would look for a line like Comrie - Williams - Gagne, big time speed and talent.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:57 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I am heading to the airport now to say goodbye and good riddance to Mike Comrie. Hopefully you guys enjoy him as much as I have in the past few months! See ya Mike, have fun in Philly! Don't come back now you hear?

Old
12-16-2003, 12:58 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
SW: Since the Sens fan forum on their official site (posted over there under a different ID) has been down for some time I figured I'd catch up to you over here.

What are your thoughts on the Comrie deal?

I'm not too familiar with the prospect that went to Edmonton so I can't weigh on the subject objectively.

However, Comrie would seem to be a huge sparkplug type player that could really hurt the rest of us in the East (All Sens shooting ourselves in the foot aside).

Thoughts.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Stonehands77

I really don't get this deal at all. First, because I'm not sure where they'll play Comrie, considering they now have 4 centers (excluding Sharp who was just called up) who all should get fairly good ice time. Second, Woywitka was a highly regarded prospect, and while they do have other D prospects who are quite good (Pitkanen, Vandermeer, and Seidenberg although he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth), he was supposedly #2 and with an aging D corps, I'd have looked to keep some youth. Third, we really cannot expect much out of Comrie this year at all. It always seems like players returning from holdouts suffer that season, and we probably won't see the true abilities of Comrie until next season at the earliest. So why do this now? I really, really, REALLY hope this was not one of those "Holy cow, we just had a not-so-good series against the Devils so we need to PANIC!!!" type situations. There's really no need for that.

However, if this is part of another move, as suggested by several people on the boards, this gets much more interesting. I guess we'll have to see how things shake out before I settle on how I feel about this, but right now, it's mainly head scratching. Comrie's a good talent, no doubt, but is he the right piece for this team? You've got me on that one...

Old
12-16-2003, 01:04 PM
smnhppu

Any chance of Clarke now moving one of those centers? If so... who's most likely to go?

Old
12-16-2003, 01:06 PM
barto

Oilers fan here... it should take Comrie a few weeks to really get back into NHL game-shape (not meaning before he'll step in the ice in a game, but to get back into form) - bear in mind he's been out of NHL action since last April. But he's young and worked hard in the off-season, so his conditioning shouldn't be a factor.

I'm surprised after this long of a wait that Lowe didn't get a guy who could step in and help the team right away, but I've heard good things about Woywitka... I'm a little curious to see if any money from Clarke was part of the deal, otherwise this looks similar to the Ducks deal that was turned down without some good cash involved. In fact, the Ducks' first round pick next year will likely be a higher one (!!) than the Flyers', but then there's the extra pick for 2005. Hmmm...still... I guess we'll see how it works out, but if you're getting the Comrie of two years ago, you'll be very happy. He's feisty and talented, but last year was not very good at all defensively and it didn't look like his heart was in it to the same extent.

Good luck - hope we meet you in the Cup finals!!

Bart
Edmonton

Closed Thread