HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top 8 defensive teams ever

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 01:17 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Top 8 defensive teams ever

Yeah, that's right... top EIGHT

Old
12-23-2003, 05:20 AM
Darz

Top eight??

Off the top of my head I would have to include. I might be missing one or two obvious ones, but....

76-77 Canadiens. With Robinson, Savard, and Lapointe on d, the guy they created the Selke trophy for up front, and Dryden in net, they have to be one of them.

94-95 Devils. The team that took the league out of the scoring era of the 80's and early 90's and started the defensive trend that is still happening today. It helps when you have Broduer, Stevens, Danekyo and Lemaire as coach mind you.

43-44 Canadiens. In a 50 game season the habs allowed 65 less goals than the next best defensive team. That's pretty darn good, if you ask me.

73-74 Flyers. The Broad Street Bullies really knew how to shut down an opponent. Good defensive forwards, a good d group and a great goalie.

55-56 Canadiens. 131 GA's in 70 games played. How can they not be on the list. Great goalie, great dmen, great team.

29-30 Bruins. Tiny Thompson in net. Eddie Shore and Dit Clapper on D. 38-5-1 record and the least goals allowed in the league.

68-69 Blues. Featuring an old Doug Harvey, Al Arbour, Jean-Guy Talbot, Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante, they proved that old guys can play D.

82-83 Islanders. With all the fire power they had they also had a pretty impressive group of dman and defnsively responsible forwards.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Top eight??

73-74 Flyers. The Broad Street Bullies really knew how to shut down an opponent. Good defensive forwards, a good d group and a great goalie.

Made even more impressive when you conside how many penalties they had to kill.

Parent & the PK of Clarke, Barber, Crisp etc. allowed the Flyers to play on the edge (they may have corssed the edge once in a while ).

Old
01-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Malefic74

If memory serves the 59-60 Canadiens (the Fifth Cup edition) were the first and only team to ever lead the league in goals for AND allow the fewest goals in the league. Where they fit I have no idea, but that does at least deserve a mention.

Closed Thread