HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

07/08 UFAs

Old
04-22-2007, 05:41 PM
GNick42

vCash: 500
Good work sthabs...I have been looking for a list of UFA by position. Sydor maybe a good veteran pickup for that price

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Sthabs

Thanx guys,
Niini and Downey are on the list now

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 02:28 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Taylor Pyatt is a smaller target UFA that I'd really like to see in a habs uniform, especially if Johnson doesnt re-sign...

Big (6'4, 230), still pretty young (25), potentially some untapped offensive upside (hit 23 goals this year), smooth skater and solid defensively...

I really like what I've seen from him in the Dallas-Vanc series, good two way play, physical, smart... plus he leads them in scoring with 4 points in 6 games (2 of which they got shut out in).

guy looks like he has a good chance of turning into one of those late blooming power forwards...
This is an inspired choice. I agree.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Taylor Pyatt is a smaller target UFA that I'd really like to see in a habs uniform, especially if Johnson doesnt re-sign...

Big (6'4, 230), still pretty young (25), potentially some untapped offensive upside (hit 23 goals this year), smooth skater and solid defensively...

I really like what I've seen from him in the Dallas-Vanc series, good two way play, physical, smart... plus he leads them in scoring with 4 points in 6 games (2 of which they got shut out in).

guy looks like he has a good chance of turning into one of those late blooming power forwards...
And looks like he may be had for relatively cheap. At 0.7 this year, wonder how much of a raise he's due... probably still less than Bonk-type salary, eh? See where I'm goin' with that?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
The only two players other then Markov I would like to see Montreal sign are:

Chris Drury
Ryan Smyth

You sign these two guys for 5 years each and say hello to Lord Stanley.
Exactly what I'm thinking!! (way below!!).
If we can't get Drury or Smyth (my first choices)..., I wouldn't cry if we obtained one of Briere, Forsberg ( max. 2 yrs even if he's a risk!), Gomez, Lang (little risky!), or Handzus (is he signed by Chicago? probably...).

Also...someone previously mentioned Taylor Pyatt...not sure if I'd be that excited if he would be the only pick-up this summer...
I've heard this before (probably from this forum boards...), Pyatt reminds me a bit of our Guillaume Latendresse!! (I guess Pyatt is a better/faster skater though?). This reminds me...!! I really hope that Latendresse is taking power skating lessons throughout the whole summer (or most of it!).

I think he (Latendresse) has all the tools to be a good/very good Power Forward..., he just needs to improve the speed/quality of his skating, that's all...
--------------------- --------------------------- ---------------------------- ---------------

Back to the topic (totally agreeing with HAB514)...we need to pick-up an excellent player/players this summer (also...if he's a leader in the dressing room...huge bonus!!). But, so many other teams will pursue them, too...anyways we can always hope Bob Gainey manages to sign a huuuuge player this summer:

Chris Drury (3, 4, heck...!! make it a 5 year contract!! but IMO 3 or 4 would be less risky!)
Ryan Smyth (3, 4, heck...!! make it a 5 year contract!! but 3 or 4 seems more logical!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Also...someone previously mentioned Taylor Pyatt...not sure if I'd be that excited if he would be the only pick-up this summer...

I've heard this before (probably from this forum boards...), Pyatt reminds me a bit of our Guillaume Latendresse!! (I guess Pyatt is a better/faster skater though?).
Yeah, wouldn't be the game breaker we're looking for. But, for those who think Bonk should be gone and that Pleks can handle the 3rd line duties (not so sure, but hey), Pyatt could be a very, very affordable addition to the third line. You guessed right. He is a faster and better skater than Guillaume, and he is a monster. Contributing quite a bit in the Van series, so he might be making enough of a name for himself that Van doesn't let him go. You're right though, the Habs can't stop there.

BTW
Pyatt - Pleks - Perez might not be so bad. Definitely tougher (hmm... more durable? guess both are arguable), faster, and cheaper than Johnson - Bonk - Perez.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Artie

C

Offensive Center Options

Daniel Briere 5 (will probably take 3-4 years @ 6M to 6.5M to sign...is it worth the gamble)
Chris Drury 3 (I believe he's more a Carbo type player and can be had for around 4.5M to 5.5M)

3rd Line Center Options

Eric Belanger 1.3
Todd White 1.47

I think we can do better in house, I wouldn't wste the money

W

Ryan Smyth 3.5 (It's going to take close to 6M to sign Smyth...He would definitely be an asset in the room as well as on the ice, just don't know if his heart is anywhere outside of AB)

Jason Blake 1.56 (He's going to be looking for a BIG pay increase...not sure he'll produce same returns in a defensive first system)

Dainus Zubrus 1.85 (may be an option to replace Bonk...I think he can play C...would have to take not more than 1.5 - 1.8 M)

Given that Higgins and Ryder, Kovalev are a lock, are the following really that much of an upgrade to Perez, Lats, Kosts, Begin given the $$$ involved and what they will be asked to do. Could Milroy step in on the 4th line instead?

Scott Hartnell 1.75
Taylor Pyatt .7
Mike Johnson 1.9

Defence

A lot will depend on what happens with Souray and Markov. But the choices in bold would be my targets in case we cannot sign one or both of them.

Kimmo Timmonen 2.28
Sheldon Souray 2.31
Brian Rafalski 4.2
Brad Stuart 2.15
Andrei Markov 2
Scott Hannan 2.16
Tom Preissing .55
Darryl Sydor 2.12
Vitali Vishnevski 1.55
Brent Sopel 2.4

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote