HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on this trade idea: NYR-EDM

Old
04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Thoughts on this trade idea: NYR-EDM

Had an exchange going on the Oliers board. What are everyone's thoughts on this trade:

To NYR:
Ryan O'Marra
NYI's First Round Pick

To EDM:
Al Montoya

Thoughts? Good value?

04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I always liked O'Marra, and how tough would that be that every time he scored against the Islanders they would have to be reminded of giving him away for one win in the postseason... thats tough.

Not sure. What have the Oilers fans said about getting Monty?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Had an exchange going on the Oliers board. What are everyone's thoughts on this trade:

To NYR:
Ryan O'Marra
NYI's First Round Pick

To EDM:
Al Montoya

Thoughts? Good value?

Wow..that very even IMO.

Getting O'Marra would give us a GREAT 3rd line center and a leader for the future..(when I mean great I mean a top 3rd liner in the NHL). We also get a 15th overall pick with our 17th pick.

We give up Montoya but we have Lundqvist...(but ((Knock on wood)) if he gets injured or something, we have nothing to fall back on).

I wouldn't by any means jump on it..but its worth thinking about...which is more then I can say about pretty much all the Montoya proposals.

Again, IMO...Montoya will sooner or later..will be moved...when the best deal comes up I hope Sather pulls that trigger.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

sorry i wont do that....

my guarantee to you all is:

Sather will bring up montoya and have him back up lundqvist, he will obviously shine and the trade him by the deadline or end of next year for a top prospect or young legit player

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Sooner or later the Rangers will have to address the lack of goaltending prospect depth by either making or trade in the draft for a goalie selection or trading for a prospect straight up.

The problem is what Fly just mentioned with Hank and Montoya. Tough Call.

The Montoya situation is getting more and more pronounced.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HAPPY HOUR

I have seen Montoya play live about 7 or 8 times( including tonight), and based on those looks it is easy to say that Al is no Henrik, so I like that deal as long as we pick up a goalie in the first 4 rounds of this years draft. And try to get Hedberg as a back-up that can actually ....well back-up....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Wow..that very even IMO.

Getting O'Marra would give us a GREAT 3rd line center and a leader for the future..(when I mean great I mean a top 3rd liner in the NHL). We also get a 15th overall pick with our 17th pick.

We give up Montoya but we have Lundqvist...(but ((Knock on wood)) if he gets injured or something, we have nothing to fall back on).

I wouldn't by any means jump on it..but its worth thinking about...which is more then I can say about pretty much all the Montoya proposals.
It's a pretty fair deal but I'd be hesitent about giving up Montoya...Not because I don't believe in Lundqvist but I think Montoya serves the Rangers better as a backup next season...It's going to be very hard to actually get FAIR value for Montoya...

With or without Montoya in the cards I would still take a goalie in the upcoming draft..The Rangers can't go 3 drafts without taking one...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Schremp

04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
isn't this kind of excess for excess? while taking quantity over quality in the process?

Old
04-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

hey 31 when is that Avery quote from?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
hey 31 when is that Avery quote from?
after game 3

Dellapina Blog

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Schitzo

From an oilers point of view, the only problem with that proposal is that the oil are already trying to sort out their goaltending with both Delauries and Dubnyk a few years away from prime time. We really are overloaded at centre, though, so losing O'marra would not be the end of the world for us.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

To NYR:
Ryan O'Marra
NYI's First Round Pick

To EDM:
Al Montoya

Thoughts? Good value?
I think from value consideration it looks about even, but I think I'd rather see Montoya backing up Lundqvist sort of how it was with Beezer and Richter, you can't trade him before you've seen him on Broadway for a season or two.

I think eventually he will be the one traded, but just as with Blackburn, you never know and it's better to be safe than sorry. There shouldn't be any rush to trade Montoya, unless an unreal offer is put on the table, which I highly doubt.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 05:46 AM
johnny_rudeboy

If Monty can handle him self in the NHL, and everything suggest that he can do that, then it is better to wait 2 seasons and let him play some games so that his value can rise even more. Then we could perhaps get an even better player then O´Marra. But O´Marra (with only having read about him) is a player that every team needs.

But I would wait, no need to rush dealing a gem like Monty.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:03 AM
The Thomas J.*

Im in no rush to move Montoya, Its a decsion that can be put of 2 or 3 more years, He can back up the Lundquist & learn the trade, but when Lundquist is in a groove Renneys isn't going to sit him down, so how many games does Montoya get? 10? 20? the way Lundquist is playing that number seems high to me.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I always liked O'Marra, and how tough would that be that every time he scored against the Islanders they would have to be reminded of giving him away for one win in the postseason... thats tough.

Not sure. What have the Oilers fans said about getting Monty?
There were a couple of ideas thrown around by one fan. One proposal involved a lot of picks (two first) for Montoya. I responded by wondering what they take out of that proposal (meaning what picks) and replace with Schremp or O'Marra.

The other deals that were floated were:

Schremp + Ana 1st + Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers

for
Al Montoya + 3rd (which the Rangers don't have)

OR

NYI 1st + Ana 1st + Ana 2nd + Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
for
Al Montoya

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-21-2007 at 08:37 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Wow..that very even IMO.

Again, IMO...Montoya will sooner or later..will be moved...when the best deal comes up I hope Sather pulls that trigger.
That's exactly how I feel, FLY. I wouldn't jump all over it. But I would have to consider it.

Figure the Rangers get two first rounders for one. Add in Bourret and that Rangers will have added four first rounders (Bourret, O'Marra, the Rangers #1 and the Isles #1) by the end of the draft while giving up one (Montoya). Our you can try and move up.

You have to consider it.

Old
04-21-2007, 08:28 AM
True Blue

Great idea, however I do not know if the time is appropriate to move Montoya. I believe that the time to trade a goalie (and other prospects) will be in two years when Jagr & Co. exit. The deal will probably be for a front-line player. Right now, we all know how good Montoya is, but does the rest of the world view it as that? Plus, I am not so comfortable with the next-in-line for goal, in case of a Henke injury.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
It's a pretty fair deal but I'd be hesitent about giving up Montoya...Not because I don't believe in Lundqvist but I think Montoya serves the Rangers better as a backup next season...It's going to be very hard to actually get FAIR value for Montoya...

With or without Montoya in the cards I would still take a goalie in the upcoming draft..The Rangers can't go 3 drafts without taking one...
I agree that if you deal Monty, you do need to draft a goalie. But with two first round picks you can do that (or use the second round pick).

I guess where I get caught up is what exactly is fair value for Montoya? I would think that two first round picks would be a good starting point.

The other deals that were floated were:

Schremp + Ana 1st + Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers

for
Al Montoya + 3rd (which the Rangers don't have)

OR

NYI 1st + Ana 1st + Ana 2nd + Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
for
Al Montoya

Are any of those closer to fair value? I really don't know. That's why I posted this.

Old
04-21-2007, 08:35 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Interesting. My only problem is that I think we need to focus on acquiring a young offensive forward. Now if we do this trade and sign Ryan Smyth I think I might do that deal. As pointed out earlier in this thread that would give us 4 young first rounders for Hall & Montoya, plus signing Smyth, getting O'Mara and the isles 1st round pick would be the ultimate in your face baby!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
isn't this kind of excess for excess? while taking quantity over quality in the process?
I don't see it that way. The Rangers are not deep at center. And they add another first round pick.

Old
04-21-2007, 08:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Schremp
Yeah, I mentioned him too. I'm not sure what Sather and Co. feelings are about him. They did pass over him twice.

Old
04-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I think it's pretty fair in terms of value, but it's not the type of Montoya deal I'd look for. We have plenty of potential 3rd liners, and O'Marra and a mid-1st will just add to that stockpile. I'd rather deal Montoya with another player or two and get someone with a higher upside.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Interesting. My only problem is that I think we need to focus on acquiring a young offensive forward. Now if we do this trade and sign Ryan Smyth I think I might do that deal. As pointed out earlier in this thread that would give us 4 young first rounders for Hall & Montoya, plus signing Smyth, getting O'Mara and the isles 1st round pick would be the ultimate in your face baby!
Why do we want to give Ryan Smyth long term max money at his age? I don't see the value of giving any player, especially someone like Smyth the kind of contract it's going to take to sign him. In the short term, you get similar production and leadership from Shanny, who's embedded himself in the fabric of this organization. Unless a young stud, such as Horton, Kovalchuk or Nash become available, the 1st long term, big money deal given out by this franchise should be to Henke.

As much teeth-gnashing went on this year, the thruth is, things have gone as swimmingly as this management team could hope. We've seen continued growth amongst the young players throughout the organization, especially among key ones like Staal, Dupont and Sauer. The play in Hartford has provided a fertile training ground for a lot of these kids. And, two more youngsters have been integrated into the big club. You've got five quality prospects - Lundqvist, Tyutin, Prucha, Callahan and Girardi - now full time players. You've used two others - Moore and Cliche - to add a an integral part of the team, (Avery), and a superb prospect, (Bourret). When all is said and done, despite some hairy moments, this year is going to turn out to be an important year in the continued rebuilding of this franchise.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 09:02 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

My suggestion - Montoya and a 2nd for Edmonton's 1st and Dubnyk.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote