Notices

A New Rivalry?

Old
04-22-2007, 07:58 AM
a79krgm

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
A New Rivalry?

The Ducks have humiliated the Wild in now two playoff series. What's more the May incicent has fueled an anger that won't soon be extinguished. As it stands for the 2007-2008 season things seem to be ripe for a red hot rivalry.

Anybody looking forward to seeing the Ducks come to St. Paul next season? http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/fight.gif

From TSN (Canadian Press) ...

... "Burke also said he wasn't surprised that Boogaard and Wild coach Jacques Lemaire didn't participate in the traditional post-game handshake at the end of the series. Burke pointed to Lemaire's absence from the line following the 2003 Western Conference semifinal victory over the Canucks.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
LamborGREENie

I am sick and tired of Burke talking against NHL GMs, Players and Coaches, he should just shut up and focus on his team.

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:08 PM
kwanjie

He's got a bigger head now that he has a killer team. Didnt see Burke's ass express much of his frustration when he was with the losing Canucks

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I think the rivalry with Canucks is dying down while the rivalry with the Ducks has grown. Its all Burke's work, wherever he goes, we hate

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:39 PM
31AVSFan

The playoffs are really good at creating rivalries - not simply teams in the same division (sorry Bettman).

31AVSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
I would like to see a nice rivalry develop with the Ducks. The ingredients are there, but I'm wondering if there will be enough match-ups for the rivalry to grow...

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I think the rivalry with Canucks is dying down while the rivalry with the Ducks has grown. Its all Burke's work, wherever he goes, we hate
Yeah no kidding. Same for the Avs.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Ducks and Avs have a rivalry?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
Burke's a reviled figure amoung our fan base, even before he went to Vancouver.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 08:39 PM
hockeyhockey

Burke is an excuse maker. I'm glad you guys don't care for him either. Most idiotic thing I heard out of his mouth this season: "we don't have a problem selling tickets we just have an attendance problem and that is why you see empty seats". Excuse maker!

I look forward to watching this rivalry grow next season. I want to see Boogard lay out Pronger.

Go Wild (unless you are playing the Yotes)!

hockeyhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
We apparently have a lot of 1-sided rivalries directed at us. The only mutual rivalries I think we have is Sharks and Kings.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Surly Furious

The Wild would have to beat them to make it a rivalry. Their just the Ducks' *****es as it stands.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Jbcraig1883

Wherever May goes is probably where there will be a rivalry. If May isn't in the lineup or isn't with the Ducks, then I doubt there will be a rivalry.

The Canucks rivalry (was more of a 2 year one-sided rivalry--doesn't really exist anymore) was developed from several cheapshots and the fact we play them a lot more.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Karl

Not really. A couple one sided playoff series doesn't really make us rivals. I personally want nothing more to do with the Ducks. I want a realignment of divisions so we can be rivals with the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blues, and expansion brothers the Blue Jackets.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:26 AM
a79krgm

Yeah, it seems like a good rivalry can't be one sided and the Ducks beat us pretty good ... But, this is how the Chicago-North Stars rivalry got started. The Hawks upset the highly favored North Stars in the '82 playoffs and then beat the Stars again in '83.

From Start Trib ....

'A skirmish between the teams broke out during Game 5 warmups, after Derek Boogaard admittedly elbowed defenseman Chris Pronger.

"Yeah, I did," Boogaard said. "He crossed over the red line, so I got in his way just on their side of the ice and then he shot a puck at me. And then [George] Parros came flying over the line. It just escalated from there."

Old
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
The Big E

Basil McCrae

Brings back fond memories of Basil McCrae instigating a pre-game brawl with the Blackhawks. Basil's warm-up was two laps then stand at center ice jawing at the Hawks. It was a slapshot quality moment.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 08:50 AM
a79krgm

More fuel .... From Star Trib

Ducks coach Carlyle cant move on

"Out of the blue, Carlyle accused the Wild (or technically a Wild player) of intentionally shooting the puck that hit right winger Teemu Selanne over the right eye during warmups before Game 5"

Old
05-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Pepper

Looks like it's Minny media that can't move on, here's the quotes from Carlyle after he was asked about it.

Asked about Selanne's sliced-up face (he took three high-sticks in the Vancouver series and one in the Wild series), Carlyle said the puck incident especially "has everybody scratching their head. Where he got hit [left faceoff circle] and the position he was on the ice, it was like it had come from the other end."

When reporters laughed, Carlyle says, "Serious. [Selanne] was heading on the far side of the rink, with the glass over here [pointing left] and the net behind him. And he got hit on this side [above right eye], so it's Crime Scene Investigation. The trajectory of the puck had to come from the other end of the ice or from center. He was skating toward center. He got hit on this side [above the right eye]."

So they don't know how it happened but said it looked like it came from Wild's side of the rink.

What the hell was he supposed to say?

Btw, Tom Lynn's description of the accident was quite incredible. Some Ducks player shot the puck so hard at the glass that it traveled around the rink, hit one of the stanchions and still had enough energy to draw a deep wound under Selanne's eye? How plausible does that theory sound?

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Wild Thing

Yeah, right. A team that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the whole week suddenly nails Selanne with a pinpoint shot from the other end of the rink. I can't believe that two weeks after the series ended, I'm still finding more reasons to hate that team.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Yeah, right. A team that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the whole week suddenly nails Selanne with a pinpoint shot from the other end of the rink. I can't believe that two weeks after the series ended, I'm still finding more reasons to hate that team.
No kidding. I'm thinking that even if Selanne was standing completely still, no Wild player could have hit him even if they were standing ten feet away. But with Selanne moving? And from the other side of the rink? Doubtful.

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
12 oz Papa*

Accidents happen. No one ever said a Wild player did it on purpose?

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 03:54 AM
bayrider

There's no such thing as rivalries in Buttman's new NHL. Though he'd have us believe the divisional matchups 8x a year is to build rivalries, calling penalties on every bump makes for no rivalries

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 09:08 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballard4Captain View Post
Burke is an excuse maker. I'm glad you guys don't care for him either. Most idiotic thing I heard out of his mouth this season: "we don't have a problem selling tickets we just have an attendance problem and that is why you see empty seats". Excuse maker!
You do understand there is a difference between attendance and ticket sales, don't you?

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
I think you should pay a little more attention...

1) Nobody said any Wild player was aiming at Selanne

2) Nobody said that it was even done in purpose

Those who have played hockey know that there are certain unwritten rules in warm-ups. You don't cross the red line and you don't shoot pucks at opponents end. Who knows, maybe some Wild player was just trying to agitate Ducks by throwing a puck at their end?

We don't know where the puck came, there's no footage from the incident. Carlyle was ASKED about the incident (it's not like he brought it up himself) and he answered.

Maybe it's Minny who should move on?

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Looks like it's Minny media that can't move on, here's the quotes from Carlyle after he was asked about it.

Asked about Selanne's sliced-up face (he took three high-sticks in the Vancouver series and one in the Wild series), Carlyle said the puck incident especially "has everybody scratching their head. Where he got hit [left faceoff circle] and the position he was on the ice, it was like it had come from the other end."

When reporters laughed, Carlyle says, "Serious. [Selanne] was heading on the far side of the rink, with the glass over here [pointing left] and the net behind him. And he got hit on this side [above right eye], so it's Crime Scene Investigation. The trajectory of the puck had to come from the other end of the ice or from center. He was skating toward center. He got hit on this side [above the right eye]."

So they don't know how it happened but said it looked like it came from Wild's side of the rink.

What the hell was he supposed to say?

Btw, Tom Lynn's description of the accident was quite incredible. Some Ducks player shot the puck so hard at the glass that it traveled around the rink, hit one of the stanchions and still had enough energy to draw a deep wound under Selanne's eye? How plausible does that theory sound?
Lynn didn't say it went around the rink. Went around the glass behind the net, is what he was saying. Pucks take funny bounces quite often, it's not that unlikely.

And it's not like it was a Star Trib guy who asked about Selanne and prompted the CSI comments.. this apparently happened on Thursday. Burke called the league? I mean, come on. For a team full of tough guys they sure go nuts when another team finally stands up to them. It's too bad Vancouver just rolled over.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote