Notices

A New Rivalry?

Old
05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Those who have played hockey know that there are certain unwritten rules in warm-ups. You don't cross the red line and you don't shoot pucks at opponents end. Who knows, maybe some Wild player was just trying to agitate Ducks by throwing a puck at their end?
Word is Pronger threw a puck into the Wild's end which is what got the whole pre-game scrum going.

I think the Ducks should stop worrying about the past and worry about the team they face next.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
I think you should pay a little more attention...

1) Nobody said any Wild player was aiming at Selanne

2) Nobody said that it was even done in purpose
From the link:

Quote:
Out of the blue, Carlyle accused the Wild (or technically a Wild player) of intentionally shooting the puck that hit right winger Teemu Selanne over the right eye during warmups before Game 5.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
Lynn didn't say it went around the rink. Went around the glass behind the net, is what he was saying. Pucks take funny bounces quite often, it's not that unlikely.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I know pucks take funny bounces but seriously, think about the explanation given by Lynn. Selanne is at the left face-off circle, heading to the center ice and gets hit at the right side of his face?? That means the puck had to come from right side boards. For that to happen, it would mean that a Ducks player had to shoot the puck extremely hard to the glass from the left side (in a very small angle), travel around the glass from left side to right side, hit the stanchion and then fly over the air over 15 metres before hitting Selanne in the face with enough force to draw a deep gash. Yeah, that sounds very credible...

Quote:
And it's not like it was a Star Trib guy who asked about Selanne and prompted the CSI comments.. this apparently happened on Thursday. Burke called the league? I mean, come on. For a team full of tough guys they sure go nuts when another team finally stands up to them. It's too bad Vancouver just rolled over.
Star Trib guy did not ask the question (we don't know who it was) but he was the one who reported it with a stupid headline.

Btw, what were Ducks to do? Send the goons and beat up Wild players in the warm-up and draw suspensions?? Yeah, that sounds reaaaally smart.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Word is Pronger threw a puck into the Wild's end which is what got the whole pre-game scrum going.
"Word is"?? You probably have something else to back that up? From what we saw it was Boogaard who started it by crossing the red line and bumping Pronger.

Btw, if Pronger threw a puck into the Wild's end, how we do we know Wild didn't throw a puck at Ducks end which hit Selanne? Lynn's explanation is a very poor one.

Quote:
I think the Ducks should stop worrying about the past and worry about the team they face next.
In case you haven't noticed, Ducks haven't worried about Wild for 2 weeks now. Carlyle was asked a question and he answered. It was a Minny writer who made a big fuss about the answer with a stupid headline.

Old
05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
From the link:
You REALLY need to pay more attention, the part you highlighted was written by a MINNY REPORTER, Carlyle never said that a Wild player intentionally shot the puck at Ducks end. It's a stupid writer making stupid conclusions and stupid headlines.

Read Carlyle's comments again and stop paying attention to some hack journalist craving for attention.

Old
05-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
You REALLY need to pay more attention, the part you highlighted was written by a MINNY REPORTER, Carlyle never said that a Wild player intentionally shot the puck at Ducks end. It's a stupid writer making stupid conclusions and stupid headlines.

Read Carlyle's comments again and stop paying attention to some hack journalist craving for attention.
That may be, but your point was that nobody said that it was intentional. Whereas the article clearly says exactly that.

I don't know what Carlyle said, but Russo is no hack - he's a solid, credible beat reporter. If his interpretation is that Carlyle meant that it was deliberate, then he's probably got good reason for saying that. I've worked as a journalist myself, and I know that when you're trying to summarize a long conversation, you can only include a very few direct quotes. Russo's typically not the type of reporter who would make a statement like that unless the general tone of the conversation was such that he felt it was an accurate representation of what Carlyle was saying.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Pepper

Quote:
That may be, but your point was that nobody said that it was intentional. Whereas the article clearly says exactly that.
ARTICLE WRITTEN BY A MINNY WRITER. Sheesh, it shouldn't be that hard!! My point was that nobody from the Ducks said it was intentional, only an idiot writer made it look like they did.

Quote:
I don't know what Carlyle said, but Russo is no hack - he's a solid, credible beat reporter. If his interpretation is that Carlyle meant that it was deliberate, then he's probably got good reason for saying that.
No, all you have is a conclusion drawn by a journalist who has ZERO evidence to back up his conclusions. Carlyle basicly said that it's a mystery where the puck came from, he only said that judging by the position of Selanne and the direction the puck hit him suggest that it could have been shot by a Minny player. There's absolutely no comments from any Ducks personel that it was intentionally shot by a Minny player.

Quote:
I've worked as a journalist myself, and I know that when you're trying to summarize a long conversation, you can only include a very few direct quotes. Russo's typically not the type of reporter who would make a statement like that unless the general tone of the conversation was such that he felt it was an accurate representation of what Carlyle was saying.
What a load of crap. If you make an accusation that direct, you need something more than murky conclusions with ZERO evidence. Every journalist knows that, if you don't I really suspect you haven't been doing any real journalist work.

Besides, the direct quotes from Carlyle that Russo DID include contradict your theory big time. I mean if he says it's a mystery where the puck came from, how can he then say that it was intentional and how can Russo leave that from the article?

Come on, you know that your theory has huge holes in it.

Bad, attention-seeking headline, poor conclusions with zero evidence and generally a crappy article from an obviously bitter journalist.

Old
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
ceber

It's pretty obvious what the message behind the comment and Burke's asking for a review by the league is.

The story about Pronger came from guys on the ice, but was reported by a MINNY WRITER... so clearly it's intended to discredit the gem of a guy, Pronger, and that flawless organization, the Mighty Ducks.

Old
05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Pepper

Quote:
It's pretty obvious what the message behind the comment and Burke's asking for a review by the league is.
Based purely on Carlyle's comments, it's pretty ****ing far from being obvious.

Burke asked for league to check it out, nothing wrong with that. If that ridiculous theory by Minny's assistant GM is true, Minny has nothing to worry about.

Old
05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
ceber

Quote:
Based purely on Carlyle's comments, it's pretty ****ing far from being obvious.

Burke asked for league to check it out, nothing wrong with that. If that ridiculous theory by Minny's assistant GM is true, Minny has nothing to worry about.
Thompson just said what he saw.. if he saw something different, the safest thing to do is say "I didn't see what happened."

Old
05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Thompson just said what he saw.. if he saw something different, the safest thing to do is say "I didn't see what happened."
So his theory about puck going around the boards the whole Ducks' side of the rink, then hitting the stanchion and flying over 15 metres into Selanne's face with enough force to cut a deep gash seems credible to you?

Old
05-08-2007, 03:49 AM
vitogor

Quote:
So his theory about puck going around the boards the whole Ducks' side of the rink, then hitting the stanchion and flying over 15 metres into Selanne's face with enough force to cut a deep gash seems credible to you?
I'm just curious... Have you seen this incident with your own two eyes? Or are you getting the description of the incident from a third party?

I'm asking this for two reasons.

1) The only thing we were shown up here was Sellane laying on the ice, being attended by the trainers, then getting up and skating off the ice. I haven't seen any footage of where he was skating at the time of the incident, which way he was facing, etc. I'd really like to see that.

2) If your matter-of-factly description of the incident came from a third party, it wouldn't be somebody associated with the Ducks, would it? You've been telling us all along that we can't trust any source associated with the Wild (because they are biased and bitter), so if your description comes from the Ducks (or the Ducks media), why should we trust them? What if they are exaggarating the 15 meters, etc.?

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 04:18 AM
Pepper

I'm using the description of the incident given by Minny's assistant GM in the article (direct quotes) combined with the direct quotes of Randy Carlyle (Selanne's position & direction).

Old
05-08-2007, 04:48 AM
vitogor

Quote:
I'm using the description of the incident given by Minny's assistant GM in the article (direct quotes) combined with the direct quotes of Randy Carlyle (Selanne's position & direction).
But you have already dismissed Lynn's explanation as "ridiculous", yet you are still using him as a source? Or is it more accurate to say that you are using Carlyle's description alone?

It just seems to me that, according to you, everything that comes from the Wild side is automatically garbage, because it contradicts whatever comes from the Ducks side.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
ceber

Quote:
I thought Selanne was in the left faceoff circle. If the puck came of the glass near there it does't have to go 15 meters. That's almost 50 feet. Maybe his head was turned. Seems just as credible as thinking that someone would be down in the Wild end whipping pucks at the far end with enough force to cut a deep gash into someone and nobody saw them do it. Fans watching warmups would've noticed a guy shooting the puck that hard the wrong way.

Old
05-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Pepper

Well it will remain a mystery, it doesn't really change anything.

The point is that a hack Minny journalist claimed that Ducks had accused a Wild player for intentionally firing the puck at Ducks side which is blatantly untrue.

Russo has zero evidence to back up his claims.

Old
05-08-2007, 11:54 AM
ceber

I dunno man, you're the one resorting to attacking sources and the negative adjectives. I think there's a lot to it, and it condemns not only the team but all the team's fans to a 1000 years of cuplessness!

Old
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
I'd be satisfied with my lifetime.
Seeing Jiggy cry once more would be delicious.

Edit: I take that back. Boogaard would probably get blamed for pepperspraying.

Last edited by aylib: 05-09-2007 at 10:50 AM.
aylib is offline   Reply With Quote