HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Survey by La Presse about the Canadiens

Old
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Absolutely. It just shows that despite what the media says the fans have a lot of faith in the GM, the coach and the players.
I wouldn't use a term like faith. Faith is unshakeable. One more season like the last and the numbers would drop.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:47 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Your supposition that 50% of those responding were women doesn't seem believable.
As I've said in my other post, we don't know how the survey was made. If it's on the phone and they ask questions to the first person who answer, there's 50% (or even more) this person was a woman and that this person answered to this survey.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 09:29 PM
tinyzombies

My problem with Gainey is that he didn't improve the defense and take a run at the Cup. You can't have five year plans anymore because by the time your young players have completely matured, they will all want pay raises and will take up cap space.

Gainey was too conservative under the old system (except for those ridiculous signings he made in Dallas at the end of his tenure), but he's ultra-conservative under the new system and that won't get it done.

Pittsburgh, with the best young talent in the league, only has a couple years to put it together before they won't be able to afford to have solid depth players because the frontline guys will take all the cap space.

We don't have that problem, but we do have several middling guys who score in the 20s and 30 who will all be in the $3-4 mil range pretty soon (which is ridiculous, but I digress).

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Carbonneau is one of the 10 best NHL coaches? Funny. Sixteen teams made the playoffs, but none had a coach named Carbonneau, although some had coaches named Lemaire, Julien, Vigneault, or Therrien.
Which team has a coach named Julien? As for Carboneau being a top 10 coach, I do agree that he and Therrien have some work to do before anyone can make that claim.

Empireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:17 AM
MathMan

Fun to read the accompanying articles in Cyberpresse and how they describe -- and decry -- the gap between media and fans. And then read Gagnon and Labbe explain how the fans are wrong and speaking with their hearts, rather paternalistically, I thought. It's as if they thought fans were silly to accept that the team might miss the playoffs, even though they admit it's the reality of the 30-team, salary-capped NHL (win Cup one year, miss playoffs next year.)

Or maybe they're just worried that people aren't just lapping up their words without question anymore?

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Fun to read the accompanying articles in Cyberpresse and how they describe -- and decry -- the gap between media and fans. And then read Gagnon and Labbe explain how the fans are wrong and speaking with their hearts, rather paternalistically, I thought. It's as if they thought fans were silly to accept that the team might miss the playoffs, even though they admit it's the reality of the 30-team, salary-capped NHL (win Cup one year, miss playoffs next year.)

Or maybe they're just worried that people aren't just lapping up their words without question anymore?
While I don't care mcuh for the media, Labbe and Gagnon are right. Those poll numbers are ridiculous. This team was an on the bubble team than regressed horribly this season, there woes directly linked to mismanagement of assets by Gainey and unexperienced man management of Carbonneau. Results do mantter. And we missed the playoffs (and deservedly so) after securely being in 4th place for most of the season.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 05:58 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
This team was an on the bubble team than regressed horribly this season, there woes directly linked to mismanagement of assets by Gainey and unexperienced man management of Carbonneau.
I don't particularly agree with this assessment, particularly where you say the team regressed "horribly". I don't think the team regressed at all, particularly given the adversity it had to face -- such as losing its all-star goalie for a significant length of time. There were moves by management that, in hindsight, turned out to be mistakes (Samsonov, Aebischer) but many fewer that could be blamed on Gainey based on the knowledge he had at the time. Nobody, but nobody expected Samsonov to be such a bust, for example, or that Aebischer would falter this badly down the stretch.

I'm just glad that the poll indicates people are thinking for themselves. The media have their own agenda, which largely involves their own perceived influence and importance, and the maintenance thereof. Even the articles discussing the poll carry that subtext. It's a very good thing that it's not being accepted without question.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:38 AM
SpreeEndaz

I think they did their survey in an institute of mental health.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
The resultats are surprising.

However, out of the 507 people, how many people are women ? Probably 50%. Of this 50%, how many knows something about hockey ? 10% ?
What exactly is your point? only 10% of women know something about hockey? thats a pretty bold statement right there

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
While I don't care mcuh for the media, Labbe and Gagnon are right. Those poll numbers are ridiculous. This team was an on the bubble team than regressed horribly this season, there woes directly linked to mismanagement of assets by Gainey and unexperienced man management of Carbonneau. Results do mantter. And we missed the playoffs (and deservedly so) after securely being in 4th place for most of the season.
Since when is mid to late December most of the season?

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
What exactly is your point? only 10% of women know something about hockey? thats a pretty bold statement right there
It's well known that women are not interested that much in hockey. I was making an estimation. Just think about all the women you know and you will see that it's probably close to 10 %.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark View Post
Which team has a coach named Julien? As for Carboneau being a top 10 coach, I do agree that he and Therrien have some work to do before anyone can make that claim.
By the time Julien was fired the Devils had clinched a playoff spot, so it's correct to say he coached them into the playoffs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
MXD

If a survey says 10% women are knowledgeable in hockey and 60% mens are knowlegdeable in hockey, the only conclusion we can draw is +- 40% of mens suffers from overconfidence.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
507 persons, that so representative

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/227735.html
It's a highly representative survey.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

To answer the survey on the La Presse site (in french only):

http://quiz.cyberpresse.ca/quiz.php?quiz=99

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:22 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

funny on cyberpresse.ca Habs section, there is 8 articles on that survey

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
funny on cyberpresse.ca Habs section, there is 8 articles on that survey
They weren't there when I first posted the results.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:39 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
They weren't there when I first posted the results.
I'm not shooting you, I just foud out funny that they have 8 articles on that freaking survey

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Since when is mid to late December most of the season?
Eastern conference.

And I was expecting us to finish between 6th and 8th. We regressed from playoff positioning regardless. Which is unacceptable considering we were up 8 points on Ottawa (finished 4th) in January.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 05:43 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
I'm not shooting you, I just foud out funny that they have 8 articles on that freaking survey
Ok then, sorry I misunderstood.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:56 PM
j52

Vote yes on proposition No! Today.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote