HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Colorado Rockies

Old
04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
David Puddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYMPIA STADIUM View Post
Here is the goaltender who guided the rockies to there only playoff apperance in the 1978 playoffs former philadelphia flyer and toronto maple leaf Doug Favell.he kept the rockies in those playoff games against the flyers.
They made the playoffs with a 19-40-21 record.

Twelve of 18 NHL teams made the playoffs. The four division champions received bies for the best-of-three preliminary round. The next four teams from each conference qualified also qualified, but they had to play a best-of-three. The Second Round was best-of-five, and the Semi-Finals and Stanley Cup Finals were best-of-seven.

The Rockies certainly did compete with the Flyers. The first game went to overtime in Philadelphia, and the second game of the best-of-three was 3-1. That was a very strong Philadelphia team, and the Rockies were not very good.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post

Twelve of 18 NHL teams made the playoffs. The four division champions received bies for the best-of-three preliminary round. The next four teams from each conference qualified also qualified, but they had to play a best-of-three. The Second Round was best-of-five, and the Semi-Finals and Stanley Cup Finals were best-of-seven.

The Rockies certainly did compete with the Flyers. The first game went to overtime in Philadelphia, and the second game of the best-of-three was 3-1. That was a very strong Philadelphia team, and the Rockies were not very good.
Though the Flyers won their opening round PO series in 1978, 1979 and 1980, they struggled in the opening game of each series against teams with bad records. In 1978 (Colorado) and 1980 (first year NHL -- Edmonton), the Flyers needed OT for the wins. In 1979 (Vancouver), they lost in the first of a best-of-three series then went to Vancouver and won a thrilling Game 2 with less than a minute to go.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Yep Lanny's full season he led the Rockies to a better record and this was after the Jersey talk cast a pall over the organization.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 01:21 PM
OLYMPIA STADIUM

Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Yep Lanny's full season he led the Rockies to a better record and this was after the Jersey talk cast a pall over the organization.
The fact here is that Lanny could not get the rockies into the playoffs but wilf paiement did get them into there only playoff apperance in the scouts-rockies history.

OLYMPIA STADIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
The fact here is that Lanny could not get the rockies into the playoffs but wilf paiement did get them into there only playoff apperance in the scouts-rockies history.
The key word with both teams was "goaltending". Lanny's team would have made the playoffs (I think this is in Don Cherry's book "Grapes") if they had had a number one goaltender. The 1978 Rockies had enough goaltending to get them into the playoffs.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
The key word with both teams was "goaltending". Lanny's team would have made the playoffs (I think this is in Don Cherry's book "Grapes") if they had had a number one goaltender. The 1978 Rockies had enough goaltending to get them into the playoffs.
Mike Jones!...WHO?....Mike Jones!

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Here is a Rockies-Bruins' battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ7dkna6CgM

priceless bald vs bald

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Kingsfan65

Wow, A Colorado Rocky Hockey thread. As a season ticket holder to the club from 79-81 they remain my all-time favorite team. Yeah, we sucked. Yeah Don Cherry was goofy, yeah Crazy George beat the hell out of an annoying drum and yeah we traded Barry Beck for who????

But those were great times. Nights at Big Mac are missed.

Kingsfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Barrasso35

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
I remember reading a Hockey News article about Durbano sometime around 97 or 98. Depressing story that ended up not having a happy ending.
Here's some info on Durbano from Wikipedia. That's almost as bad as Brian "Spinner" Spencer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan65 View Post
Wow, A Colorado Rocky Hockey thread. As a season ticket holder to the club from 79-81 they remain my all-time favorite team. Yeah, we sucked. Yeah Don Cherry was goofy, yeah Crazy George beat the hell out of an annoying drum and yeah we traded Barry Beck for who????

But those were great times. Nights at Big Mac are missed.
At least you have a team now, though... Kansas City is still waiting for one. (For the record, I'm very glad the Penguins didn't move to KC.)

Why is it that the KC-CO-NJ teams had really, really ugly uniforms until the Devils changed the green to black? Who designed those color schemes?

Barrasso35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Kingsfan65

What do you mean Colorao had ugly uni's. They ruled. Loved em'. Chico Resch never looked so good.

Old
05-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Barrasso35

Quote:
What do you mean Colorao had ugly uni's. They ruled. Loved em'. Chico Resch never looked so good.
LOL! Well, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I don't think they looked very good... but they're better than some modern NHL jerseys. I think it was the red pants that did it for me... hideous.

Old
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Pwnasaurus

The all sewn-on durene jerseys from 1981-82 are really nice. The screened on mesh ones are horrible.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Kingsfan65

Where do you get all these classic Rockies pics?????
What ever happened to Lucien DeBlois???

Old
05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Barrasso35

Quote:
Where do you get all these classic Rockies pics?????
Google image search for "Chico Resch Rockies."
Quote:
What ever happened to Lucien DeBlois???
He was an assistant coach for the KC Blades of the IHL (then head coach, if I remember correctly) then I don't know what happened to him. I have his Blades card, though.

EDIT: Found it... google again.

Wikipedia Entry

DeBlois later on became an assistant coach with the Kansas City Blades in the IHL during two seasons. Notably one as Co-coach during the second year. Following this stint in the IHL, he was hired as a Pro scout for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. He later signed with the Vancouver Canucks a few years later and is currently still under contract with the same team. He currently lives in Montreal.

Old
05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrasso35 View Post
LOL! Well, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I don't think they looked very good... but they're better than some modern NHL jerseys. I think it was the red pants that did it for me... hideous.
They just took the state flag and made a jersey out of it, but it looks good.

Old
05-09-2007, 02:51 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
they only made the playoffs because the Smythe divison sucked, and second place got you in. its not really a stunning endorsement of Paiemont's leadership.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
OLYMPIA STADIUM

Quote:
Why is it that the KC-CO-NJ teams had really, really ugly uniforms until the Devils changed the green to black? Who designed those color schemes?
I always liked the scouts and rockies jerseys. they are classic jerseys just like the atlanta flames and 1970 vancouver and buffao jerseys.

Old
05-10-2007, 10:42 PM
604flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
The all sewn-on durene jerseys from 1981-82 are really nice.
I have one I love it!

604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
they only made the playoffs because the Smythe divison sucked, and second place got you in. its not really a stunning endorsement of Paiemont's leadership.
And the WHA was still going so the league wasn't as talented as it was post 79

Old
05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

Quote:
They actually wore blue pants with the white jerseys and it looked pretty sharp.

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 09:32 PM
OLYMPIA STADIUM

Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Well your 1980-81 rockies with lanny mcdonald had good goaltenders in net with Al Smith, Phil Myre and Chico Resch and still could not get into the playoffs.the 1977-78 rockies had Doug Favell along with Wilf Paiement and made the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2007, 11:08 PM
jiggs 10

Careerwise, Lanny McDonald had a better one than Paiemont. But as a Rockie, Paiemont had better numbers. Lanny had the 66 goal year, yes, but little else. Paiemont was there longer, and had 2 40 goal seasons, and got them to the playoffs. Granted, Lanny had the added burden of having Don Cherry as coach, so....

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
OLYMPIA STADIUM

[QUOTE=jiggs 10;9254287]. Lanny had the 66 goal year, yes, but little else. [QUOTE]

Lanny had that season with calgary not colorado in 1982-83.

Old
06-24-2007, 09:53 AM
OLYMPIA STADIUM

Denis Dupere

Here is a nice photo of Denis Dupere who also played for the team when they were in kansas city.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DENIS DUPERE COLORADO COLOR HEAD PHOTO+.jpg‎ (19.6 KB, 8 views)

Old
06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
GB

Send a message via ICQ to GB
One of the first (non-British) items of hockey memorabilia that I got was a Chico Resch autographed 8x10 with him in a Rockies uniform. Those jerseys rocked.

GB is offline   Reply With Quote