HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Chouinard traded for 5th rounder

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 09:22 AM
tytech

vCash: 500
Chouinard traded for 5th rounder

Flyers Trade Forward Eric Chouinard to Minnesota

Philadelphia gets fifth round pick in 2004

Philadelphiaflyers.com

This should put a rest to some of the "part of a bigger package" rumours.

IMO--Great trade by Clarke to get Comrie.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Flyers26

from the FLYERS website:

The Philadelphia Flyers today announced that they have traded forward Eric Chouinard (shwee-NAHR) to the Minnesota Wild in exchange for a fifth round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, according to General Manager Bob Clarke.

“With the acquisition of (Mike) Comrie, there just wasn’t going to be any ice time or any place to play Eric,“ said Clarke in making the announcement. “We felt that for our team and for Eric that it’s better he goes somewhere else where he gets a chance to play.”

Chouinard, 23, scored three goals in 17 games for the Flyers this season. He was also scoreless in one game for the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms, this season. In 45 regular season games with the Flyers, Chouinard recorded seven goals and four assists for 11 points and eight penalty minutes. He was acquired by the Flyers from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a second round pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft on January 29, 2003. In 58 career NHL games over parts of three seasons with Montreal and the Flyers (2000-01, 2002-03 and 2003-04), the 6’3”, 215-pound forward has registered eight goals and seven assists for 15 points and eight penalty minutes. He was originally drafted by the Canadiens in the first round (16th overall) of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.

Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Old
12-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech

Philadelphiaflyers.com

This should put a rest to some of the "part of a bigger package" rumours.

IMO--Great trade by Clarke to get Comrie.
He gave a 2nd rounder in 2004 for a 5th rounder in 2005.
Way to go Bobby!!!

Old
12-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental
He gave a 2nd rounder in 2004 for a 5th rounder in 2005.
Way to go Bobby!!!
2nd rounder in '03 for a 5th rounder in '04 I believe...
Again, we overpay for a player, then get fair market value for him later.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
“With the acquisition of (Mike) Comrie, there just wasn’t going to be any ice time or any place to play Eric,“ said Clarke in making the announcement. “We felt that for our team and for Eric that it’s better he goes somewhere else where he gets a chance to play.”
We should be seeing an announce ment about a deal in the next couple of days I assume.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:41 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
We should be seeing an announce ment about a deal in the next couple of days I assume.
Just visited TSN.CA and it says tonight Comrie will talk about the trade. I don't think Clarke would get rid of Eric if Mike wasn't going to sign. Good move, Clarke.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Teezax

it was only a matter of time we saw Choui get traded, good move, but we kind of look stupid swapping a 2nd rounder for a fifth, no worries though, as nowadays it's the later round players that make an impact (Datsuyk)

Old
12-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Just visited TSN.CA and it says tonight Comrie will talk about the trade. I don't think Clarke would get rid of Eric if Mike wasn't going to sign. Good move, Clarke.
Comrie just finished doing a live interview w/ Gord Stellick on the Fan 590, and said that Clarke and Winter were talking contract today. I'm sure he'll sign...not sure for how much though.

He talked about the trade, but only really mentioned 'lack of communication' on both sides...he didn't get into gory details.

He sounded pretty wiped; I wonder if he got much sleep last night.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
We gave a 2nd rounder to Montreal for Chouinny and now we get a 5th rounder...Another bright trade by Clarkie. :mad:

Old
12-17-2003, 10:48 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
We gave a 2nd rounder to Montreal for Chouinny and now we get a 5th rounder...Another bright trade by Clarkie. :mad:
With the addition of Comrie he wasn't going to get any playing time, and he would have had to clear waivers to play with the Phantoms.

Get a 5th rounder back or lose him for nothing.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
With the addition of Comrie he wasn't going to get any playing time, and he would have had to clear waivers to play with the Phantoms.

Get a 5th rounder back or lose him for nothing.
Yea, obviously he would have lack of ice time, and a trade weemed to be the only issue for him.
It's just the return which is upseting me.

Anyway, Good luck to Chouinny in Minny! I hope hell perform there...

Old
12-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Yea, obviously he would have lack of ice time, and a trade weemed to be the only issue for him.
It's just the return which is upseting me.

Anyway, Good luck to Chouinny in Minny! I hope hell perform there...
I hope he does well in Minnesota. Hell, Diagle is leading the Wild with 9 goal. I think this could be good for Chouinard.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:57 PM
FearTheFlyers

I hope he does really well in Minny because he was treated like ***** and never given a fair chance.

Old
12-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Bennevol10

We gave up 2nd round draft pick in one of the deepest entry draft in NHL... We could of drafted really good prospect with that draft pick... Who would be at least 3rd line player... I am little upset about the whole trade... Did Flyers give 2nd round, 61st overall to montreal for Chouinard... I can't remember... All I know Montreal drafted twice in 2nd round (40th overall and 61st overall)....

Old
12-17-2003, 02:55 PM
IronMarshal

Quote:

You guys are hilarious!

Sorry Flyman, I just picked your post to p--s on . Nothing personal, but I needed to pick one.

Yeah, when looked at value for value, it looks bad, sort of like a quote taken out of context. WE all thought the Chouinard trade was a good one the first week he was here. The guy just did not make it here. We have too much talent. If a fifth is all we could get, then so be it.

By the way, a second for Chuoinard was a gamble. You can't win them all, but you have to make them to win.

Clarke makes a trade for a pretty good young player, who everyone thought would cost us Gagne, or Handzus plus or Williams plus. We got him for a good prsopect, who is playing in the minors, and a couple of high draft picks. This team can win now (goaltending please... Esche? Malek? Someone?), and the Comrie move is all about that. I wish Woywitka well, but I doubt he will be an all - star, and heaven knows about those draft picks.

For the most part Clarke makes good moves which are mostly ignored and gets crucified for the occassional gambles that don't pay off.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:13 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
How is Chouinard's defensive play?

Old
12-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
How is Chouinard's defensive play?
pretty poor, he was one of our only minus players. Hitch never really liked him and played fedorek over him every chance he could get.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:25 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Chouinard will get to play with his cousin on the Wild. His cousin is Mark Chouinard. I think him going to the Wild is a good move. He is going to get a lot more playing time there, the West is not as physical as the East. He just didn't fit into the physical style of play. He can score but he was just overpowered alot. I wish the guy well, he should do very well there.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:59 PM
daynus

look at it this way

Quote:
ever play poker and you fold and wait and then see you had the best hand, you say to yourself chit, well the samething happened here. we took a gamble and got something back, we didnt fold.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:31 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMarshal
You guys are hilarious!

By the way, a second for Chuoinard was a gamble. You can't win them all, but you have to make them to win.

Clarke makes a trade for a pretty good young player, who everyone thought would cost us Gagne, or Handzus plus or Williams plus. We got him for a good prsopect, who is playing in the minors, and a couple of high draft picks. This team can win now (goaltending please... Esche? Malek? Someone?), and the Comrie move is all about that. I wish Woywitka well, but I doubt he will be an all - star, and heaven knows about those draft picks.

For the most part Clarke makes good moves which are mostly ignored and gets crucified for the occassional gambles that don't pay off.
I agree about needing to gamble occasionally. Chouinard was a gamble and it didnt pay off. I can live with that. Clarke is both a very good and very bad GM. Overall, his strategy of making risky trades has paid off though, considering that we are the #1 team in the NHL.

I still disagree with the Comrie trade. It just weakens us for the post CBA NHL, and doesnt help our team where we really need it. I mean, great, we have three power play units now, and the best fourth line center in the NHL. I would have at least gone after a good young goalie for what we gave up.

(BTW Yotes fans, Burke is not a good young goalie)

Old
12-18-2003, 09:40 AM
sinisalo

Yeah, he didn't get much of a chance here. Nor did he stand out when given any semblance of a chance.

I don't know why, but the Flyer's organization does not give players many chances before they ship them out. Clarkie goes through a lot of players.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:30 AM
stanley

I'm with IM - I'm getting a yuck or two out of some of thse responses. As with IM, it's not personal, but it is pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisalo
Yeah, he didn't get much of a chance here. Nor did he stand out when given any semblance of a chance.

I don't know why, but the Flyer's organization does not give players many chances before they ship them out. Clarkie goes through a lot of players.
Note that they ship them out if they can play in the NHL but can't break the Flyer lineup. They could very well have let him rot with the big club just in case they needed somebody to fill a spot. He was already scratched half the time as it was. The NHL is not a proving ground, it's a producing ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo
I still disagree with the Comrie trade. It just weakens us for the post CBA NHL, and doesnt help our team where we really need it. I mean, great, we have three power play units now, and the best fourth line center in the NHL. I would have at least gone after a good young goalie for what we gave up.
Mojo,
I don't see how the Comrie trade weakens the Flyers. This morning, either the Inquirer or Daily News reported that Winter was after a one-year deal and the Flyers wanted a two-year contract. Both sides acknowledged that something would get done, as it wasn't a deal-breaking sticking point. Anyway, the Flyers don't seem too concerned about adding the $2M next year it would cost to sign him now. Financially, it doesn't seem to be a big deal to the team.

As far as improving the team, I think a creative forward is exactly what this club needed, and they added him for zilch, zippo, nada off their current roster. It's not addition by subtraction, it's addition by addition (a novel business plan). Regardless, you suggested that the Flyers need a young goaltender. Said very kindly in response: ugh! Does either of Esche or Hackett not hold the door open well enough? Who was this young goaltender going to be an upgrade over? Armed with the knowledge that they already have and are high on Robert Esche, and that Jeff Hackett has a no-trade clause, how is sitting one of them in the press box nightly an upgrade? Okay - step away from the keyboard, Stan.

For what it's worth, the NHL is going to have to include some sort of grandfather clause or annual reduction in a luxury tax or salary cap, because every big-market team would be gutted and the NHLPA would not be happy if the league went with a once-and-for-all cap figure right from the start. But that's another story...

Old
12-18-2003, 05:42 PM
panayiotis

again yanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I'm with IM - I'm getting a yuck or two out of some of thse responses. As with IM, it's not personal, but it is pretty funny.

Note that they ship them out if they can play in the NHL but can't break the Flyer lineup. They could very well have let him rot with the big club just in case they needed somebody to fill a spot. He was already scratched half the time as it was. The NHL is not a proving ground, it's a producing ground.

Mojo,
I don't see how the Comrie trade weakens the Flyers. This morning, either the Inquirer or Daily News reported that Winter was after a one-year deal and the Flyers wanted a two-year contract. Both sides acknowledged that something would get done, as it wasn't a deal-breaking sticking point. Anyway, the Flyers don't seem too concerned about adding the $2M next year it would cost to sign him now. Financially, it doesn't seem to be a big deal to the team.

As far as improving the team, I think a creative forward is exactly what this club needed, and they added him for zilch, zippo, nada off their current roster. It's not addition by subtraction, it's addition by addition (a novel business plan). Regardless, you suggested that the Flyers need a young goaltender. Said very kindly in response: ugh! Does either of Esche or Hackett not hold the door open well enough? Who was this young goaltender going to be an upgrade over? Armed with the knowledge that they already have and are high on Robert Esche, and that Jeff Hackett has a no-trade clause, how is sitting one of them in the press box nightly an upgrade? Okay - step away from the keyboard, Stan.

For what it's worth, the NHL is going to have to include some sort of grandfather clause or annual reduction in a luxury tax or salary cap, because every big-market team would be gutted and the NHLPA would not be happy if the league went with a once-and-for-all cap figure right from the start. But that's another story...
Suspect goaltending and old slow d-men spell disater for the flyers. Boobie shots another blank.

Old
12-18-2003, 06:03 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Suspect goaltending and old slow d-men spell disater for the flyers. Boobie shots another blank.
Good point. I only wish I had read it before I wasted all my time writing that stuff.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:16 AM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
....and it's disaster, numbnuts. Anyways, the defense isn't that bad. As for Woywitka, as much as he will be missed, truth of the matter is that we have at least three defensemen who play a similar game to replace him. Those three are: Ruggeri, Mormorina, Picard. Also, don't forget that Korovkin also played a similar game and is well adept too. Like it or not, the Comrie trade is the kind of trade that this team needs to do. We don't need anymore aging scorers or anything like that. And when you think of it, it isn't a bad center core we're building. But of course, you're a professional GM, so you know more than everyone.

Closed Thread