HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie's status????

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Dekhockey55

vCash: 500
Comrie's status????

I know he's unsigned but are the Flyer's close to a deal with him? What is he even asking for? Thanks.

Old
12-17-2003, 08:09 PM
augster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekhockey55
I know he's unsigned but are the Flyer's close to a deal with him? What is he even asking for? Thanks.
It is assumed that he will get a deal similar to what he had already negotiated with the Quacks.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:52 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:

From today's article in the Inquirer:

His agent, Rich Winter, and Flyers general manager Bob Clarke opened contract discussions yesterday. Clarke made an offer for at least two years that probably averages between $1.5 million and $1.7 million a year, with this year prorated. Winter wants a one-year deal.

"We're working hard to get a deal done," Winter said from his office in Edmonton. "We have never failed in the past to get something done. We don't have any major issues. We're struggling with whether it's a one-, two- or three-year deal, but we'll get it done."

Comrie's contract status

This better be for more than a year. We didn't give up Jeff for Mike to play a total of 30 games.

Old
12-18-2003, 05:17 AM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
This better be for more than a year. We didn't give up Jeff for Mike to play a total of 30 games.
I agree that we didn't trade Jeff for one year of Comrie, but lets remember he will only be a restricted FA as he is only 23.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFlyer
I agree that we didn't trade Jeff for one year of Comrie, but lets remember he will only be a restricted FA as he is only 23.
It didn't make any difference with Edmonton though. They paid 8.5 million for 2 1/2 seasons of Comrie.

Old
12-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Dekhockey55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy2
It didn't make any difference with Edmonton though. They paid 8.5 million for 2 1/2 seasons of Comrie.

If Comrie is only looking for a 1 year deal I have a feeling he will be sitting for a long time. Why he would want a 1 year deal....I have no idea why.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:47 PM
PineJockey

Quote:
If Comrie is only looking for a 1 year deal I have a feeling he will be sitting for a long time. Why he would want a 1 year deal....I have no idea why.

And we don't know why he wanted out of Edmonton. The kid is either getting some terrible advice from Winters, or he really is in it for the cash. The only reason for wanting a one-year deal is so that he can hold out for a better second contract.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:50 PM
blah

I hope they're not betting on Clarke budging.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:12 PM
boxall9

Quote:
It is because Clarke is basing this contract on his play last season and he sucked! He wants a 1 year because he thinks he can step it up and it will make him worth a lot more next year. He is a greedy baby and you will be sick of him soon, his dads billions of dollars aren't enough!

Old
12-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxall9
It is because Clarke is basing this contract on his play last season and he sucked! He wants a 1 year because he thinks he can step it up and it will make him worth a lot more next year. He is a greedy baby and you will be sick of him soon, his dads billions of dollars aren't enough!
Despite some of his more rediclous trades, I thought Clarke was smarter than this. There should have been a deal in place before the trigger was pulled on this trade.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:23 AM
stanley

Quote:
Probably with the idea that he could get more in the off-season with a new contract. Maybe the Comrie camp thinks the new bargaining agreement will favor a player with no contract as a whole bunch of things could be different. I don't think it will be a sticking point. Clarke hasn't over-negotiated with Group II free agents and no arbitration eligibility (he isn't eligible for salary arbitration until the 2005 season) in the recent past; I see no reason that he'd do it in-season.

Last edited by stanley: 12-19-2003 at 05:27 AM.
Old
12-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Dr Love

Comrie wants a 2 year deal. It's the Flyers who want a one year deal.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:49 AM
wasting time

1. Comrie was a home town boy in Edmonton, and was successful there so he could have been a hero in that town for the rest of his life. But no.

2. The Edmonton team is a close-knit group with a very good chemistry. He could have been a part of that team and added more to the team. But no.

3. Edmonton is a very well managed and coached team. They know the true value of talent and are willing to pay for that talent budget permitting. Just ask Ryan Smith. They wanted Comrie and offered what they felt to be fair market value and a long term deal. But no.

4. Edmonton is a small market, but hockey frenzied town. The press can be stifling at times. Mike resented that scrutiny and disliked the lack of privacy. Ha ha, welcome to Philadelphia Mikey!

5. Now Bobby has traded away real assets from the club. The trade is a little questionable and the Philly Fans and Press are starting to question it. Now, Mikey wants a 1 year deal and is deciding to play hard to get!

6. The Flyers have a great chemistry in the dressing room and a winning coach that has the team accepting their roles and style of play. Defense first, of course. Now Bobby is inserting a known dressing room cancer who was a -18 last year.

7. The Eastern Conference is big and tough. The Flyers arguably are the biggest and toughest. And its working! Now which one of those big centers is going to lose ice time to a guy who is 5'9"?

8. The Flyers are the #1 team in the NHL. What a great time to really disturb things. First game, post Comrie trade. 5 goals against in an overtime loss to a desparately struggling Tampa team that has scored something like 13 goals in their last 8 games.

And it only cost 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder. Way to go Bobby!

Old
12-19-2003, 05:58 AM
Dr Love

1. Comrie was a home town boy in Edmonton, and was successful there so he could have been a hero in that town for the rest of his life. But no.

2. The Edmonton team is a close-knit group with a very good chemistry. He could have been a part of that team and added more to the team. But no.

3. Edmonton is a very well managed and coached team. They know the true value of talent and are willing to pay for that talent budget permitting. Just ask Ryan Smith. They wanted Comrie and offered what they felt to be fair market value and a long term deal. But no.

None of that has anything to do with the Flyers.

4. Edmonton is a small market, but hockey frenzied town. The press can be stifling at times. Mike resented that scrutiny and disliked the lack of privacy. Ha ha, welcome to Philadelphia Mikey!

Your point is completely backwards. He'll have less media scrutiny here. Only the hardcore fans care.

5. Now Bobby has traded away real assets from the club. The trade is a little questionable and the Philly Fans and Press are starting to question it. Now, Mikey wants a 1 year deal and is deciding to play hard to get!

Care to give an example where the local press is questioning it?

6. The Flyers have a great chemistry in the dressing room and a winning coach that has the team accepting their roles and style of play. Defense first, of course. Now Bobby is inserting a known dressing room cancer who was a -18 last year.

And they can't beat Ottawa or NJ, perhaps Comrie can help get them over that hump. And he was a 30 goal scorer at age 21.

7. The Eastern Conference is big and tough. The Flyers arguably are the biggest and toughest. And its working! Now which one of those big centers is going to lose ice time to a guy who is 5'9"?

Handzus, who has struggled this season and is more of a 3rd line center than a 2nd line center. Mark Recchi is the same size, he's done just fine.

8. The Flyers are the #1 team in the NHL. What a great time to really disturb things. First game, post Comrie trade. 5 goals against in an overtime loss to a desparately struggling Tampa team that has scored something like 13 goals in their last 8 games.

Yes, what a great time to disturb things, they haven't won in 5 games.

And it only cost 2 first rounders and a 3rd rounder. Way to go Bobby!

Would you be saying the same things about Murray if the Anahiem deal went through?

Old
12-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Slats432

Old
12-19-2003, 09:24 AM
wasting time

what the hell was that?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
what the hell was that?
The title of the classic album I referred to was.

"Welcome To My Nightmare."

Read= As an Oiler fan I feel your pain.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Slats432

Sportsnet.ca is reporting that Comrie is seeking a 1 year deal from the Flyers and the Flyers are looking for something longterm.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:01 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Sportsnet.ca is reporting that Comrie is seeking a 1 year deal from the Flyers and the Flyers are looking for something longterm.
snicker

Old
12-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Bobby should have known that this would happen when he took a player with Rich Winter as his agent.

Back in 1989 Bobby Clarke vowed never to deal with Winter again after the whole Hextall contract disputes.

Look at a few of the more recent charades of this wonderful agent's portfolio and remember the headaches the GM's had with each player.
Bondra (ended up being suspended 13 games) - Washington
Satan - Rich requested trade from Edmonton that didn't turn out too good for the Oilers. (got Millar & Moore)
Svelha - Retiring, not retiring, agent advised him not to sign papers.
Comrie - Nevermind
Hasek - Could be a blessing for the Flyers in disguise.
Elias - Heldout after he seen what Rafalski got.
Prospal - $$
Stefan - The Entry Draft medical fiasco.

I'm sure there's more.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:37 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
if Comrie lets his agent continue this ******** than I'm sure he won't receive a warm welcome in philly.

I'm already starting to turn to disliking him for taking this long already.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Brad*

EJ Hradek said on ESPN a little while ago that his “sources” told him the Flyers are pushing hard to get Iginla from Calgary before tonight’s trade freeze and that Comrie may be involved, but then again he may not.

Usually I find Hradek to be pretty accurate with his stuff, but I’m not holding my breath on this one.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:22 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
EJ Hradek said on ESPN a little while ago that his “sources” told him the Flyers are pushing hard to get Iginla from Calgary before tonight’s trade freeze and that Comrie may be involved, but then again he may not.

Usually I find Hradek to be pretty accurate with his stuff, but I’m not holding my breath on this one.
if the Flyers are attemping to ship Comrie in a package to get Iginla, what else would they have to give up?
maybe one or two of Siedenberg, Williams, Carter, Richards etc, etc.

I would imagine it's going to take alot to get a player like Iginla(if he's even available) and I am not sure if I want to gut the team to get him.

how about Comrie, Siedenberg and something else to get Nabokov or another young goalie?

Old
12-19-2003, 02:03 PM
PF

Quote:
“The one thing we have agreed upon is it will be a one year [contract],” said Clarke. “It’s about the same thing every contract is (money). We wanted one year. I don’t know what they wanted, but that’s what we want. We don’t know what the new CBA is going to bring. They sent us something this morning, and we responded, and now we’re just waiting to hear from them.”

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/1350.asp

For those who were saying there was no chance of a one year contract, it seems Clarke has decided otherwise.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:29 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy69
if the Flyers are attemping to ship Comrie in a package to get Iginla, what else would they have to give up?
maybe one or two of Siedenberg, Williams, Carter, Richards etc, etc.

I would imagine it's going to take alot to get a player like Iginla(if he's even available) and I am not sure if I want to gut the team to get him.

how about Comrie, Siedenberg and something else to get Nabokov or another young goalie?
Maybe Handzus would be the centerpeice? I don't think the Flames need another young defenseman. Plus, if Comrie was involved why would the Flyers negotiate a contract w/ him?

Handzus, Fedoruk, 2nd 04, 1st 05 for Iginla would be my shot in the dark.

Closed Thread