HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Outclassed in every facet

Old
04-23-2007, 12:36 AM
zackisonfire*

vCash: 500
Don't pay attention to him. Good game guys, way to be respectable after the game also. ps: is kipper human?

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I wouldn't blame the coaching. I'd blame it on the Flames coming into the playoffs discombobulated, and running into a well-oiled (definitely no pun intended) machine. It was just a bad draw.

If any blame can be placed on management or coaching, it's the lack of offensive depth that the Flames had. That's really it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:41 AM
mrdeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I wouldn't blame the coaching. I'd blame it on the Flames coming into the playoffs discombobulated, and running into a well-oiled (definitely no pun intended) machine. It was just a bad draw.

If any blame can be placed on management or coaching, it's the lack of offensive depth that the Flames had. That's really it.
That is what was supposed to have been addressed after losing to Anaheim in 06. I think coaching AND management have a lot to answer for

mrdeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I'd say management before coaching, but obviously a new GM (if that really happened) would want to put his own coach in place. I don't think that's the answer though, the Flames are going to be in a real monetary bind with the contracts coming up. That's the new NHL though, you become good and you pay for it by losing a lot of players.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:44 AM
PapaBear*

I think Colorado would have put up a much bigger fight. We didnt even deserve to make it in, we just happened to trip over the gate and stumble into the playoffs.

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:46 AM
Flames2007

hmmm maybe David Hale might make thier #2 dman? ya think? ...
Quote:
I think Colorado would have put up a much bigger fight. We didnt even deserve to make it in, we just happened to trip over the gate and stumble into the playoffs.
I agree, this core of a team didn't derserve to be in the playoffs IMO...they were gliding all year and playfair TRIED to make em an elite scoring team which isn't what we tried for in 2004...we need to get rid of dead weight like amonte, friesen and hamrlik...(im sure the GREASERS will sign hamrlik...you watch..remember these words)..they can have the idiotic penaties he takes...fire playfair is the best thing that calgary can do as a hockey club now.

Flames2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007 View Post
hmmm maybe David Hale might make thier #2 dman? ya think? ...

I agree, this core of a team didn't derserve to be in the playoffs IMO...they were gliding all year and playfair TRIED to make em an elite scoring team which isn't what we tried for in 2004...we need to get rid of dead weight like amonte, friesen and hamrlik...(im sure the GREASERS will sign hamrlik...you watch..remember these words)..they can have the idiotic penaties he takes...fire playfair is the best thing that calgary can do as a hockey club now.
Playfair thinks you win championships by playing run n gun hockey, relying on your goalie, constantly giving up odd man rushes, breakaways, shots in the slot, left right and centre.

last year we were the 3rd worst offensive team, but also 2nd best defensive and shots allowed. It was an absolute chore for the opposition to score on us - they would have to battle through the trenches just to get decent chances. Now? Its a complete shooting gallery on kipper!

To go from one of the worst offensive teams to an "elite" one in the span of one summer is just retarded - and that would explain why our team pretty much forgot the defensive side of the game all season long. I would much rather remain an elite defensive team and a pretty good offensive team (not elite) because you dont need to be an elite offensive powerhouse to win cups. Tampa bay showed it this year, offense only takes you so far.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Hemsky 83 was right! Good analysis.

Dion was terrible before the Cleary hit and aside from a good game 3, was completely invisible.

I don't see Babcock as a great coach, Detroit will get demolished by the Sharks should they meet, but he is experienced now. Hard work is the fundamental thing a winning team needs, forget about the skill. That's only effective with effort.

In regards to the upcoming contracts, Huselius or possibly Regehr are the candidated I'd move if you have to start moving top players.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:33 AM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

i'll say 3 things

1. calgary is out YEESSSS !
2. good god almighty if you should ever dare to trade the kipper i'll come down to calgary and slap a fan in his face (even if it isnt his fault)
3. icebites ****

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:36 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
In regards to the upcoming contracts, Huselius or possibly Regehr are the candidated I'd move if you have to start moving top players.
With the horrible play of Regehr this year, I would most definitely move him. Maybe on draft day and try to move up.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
With the horrible play of Regehr this year, I would most definitely move him. Maybe on draft day and try to move up.
Kippers save in the first OT with the puck rolling to the net was increbible.. not so much the stop itself, he bobbled it, but the recovering was something.. gets the glove on the puck and he moves the glove, with puck, out to the post to make sure it doesnt get shoved in like the rest of his body. Wow...

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Damicles

As much as I hate the Flames and especially Phaneuf... the guy is only in his second year of NHL hockey. Give him some time man! The ENTIRE Flames team didn't show up. It wasn't just him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeeds View Post
I am beginning to lose faith in building around Phaneuf. He was someone I really though should step up, but he didn't, especially after the Cleary hit. The other strange thing is that no-one seemed to come to his defense. I am not sure that he is even a good dressing room presence.

Damicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:12 AM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

did anyone catch the final score?

what do you guys have to show? KLowe is a genius, at least he squeezed three 1st rounders out of NYI.

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
VoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007 View Post
He's just wishing they had a defensmen like Giordano to play for the Oilers...
Quote:
All-stars where?? In the Juniors?
That's sarcasm you idiot!!!

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
I am beginning to lose faith in building around Phaneuf. He was someone I really though should step up, but he didn't, especially after the Cleary hit. The other strange thing is that no-one seemed to come to his defense. I am not sure that he is even a good dressing room presence.
phaneuf is still young.. this was his 2nd year.. the deemed sophomore jinx year... give im time.. he'll be that norris winner we all know he is

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
phaneuf is still young.. this was his 2nd year.. the deemed sophomore jinx year... give im time.. he'll be that norris winner we all know he is
It's hard to get Norris-winning defensemen until they reach the age 27-28 at least. With Phaneuf, he's going to have to cope with the utter dominance by Pronger/Neidermeyer/Zubov/Timmonen in the upcoming years, as well as the much-improving Weber/Kaberle/Pitkanen, all playing on dynamically offensive teams. These are the kids who are going to get the attention. And don't forget the fact that if he plays under the defensive system implemented in Calgary, there's no way Phaneuf's going to be racking up the points that somehow the NHL thinks determines the "top DEFENSEman". Norris? Unlikely. But he's going to be a helluva player

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
HankTheTank

Wings fan here who is in Calgary semi-regularly for business so I've seen a bit of you guys.

I'm just not sure what happened this year ... on paper you guys should've been a top team in the reg season. Once the PO started I expected you guys to get another gear. I mean this is the team that I saw smoke the Sharks 7-4 at home (thanks again to the hot waitress from Earl's who gave me free tix for it). I think in general most ppl overrated some of the roster. (mostly the back half of the forwards and the bottom D pairing)

This series you guys had a lot of dead weight at forward, didn't really get on our D ... I was afraid we'd be exposed on our zone. Too many soft + slowish guys - why didn't Lombardi get more ice? He was one of the few guys who had wheels and could get in the zone. Your 3rd & 4th line didn't generate anything, not just goals but pressure in the zone or scoring chances.

You guys have some tough decisions (much like the Wings have had the past few years). The easy part will be dumping the dead weight - amonte, friesen (reduced salary at least), mccarty, nilson, warrener, yelle, primeau. Replacing these guys with prospects or younger vets who have speed will help the 3rd & 4th lines a lot.

Tough parts:
- Stuart or Hamr or both? I know Stuart is deemed the "better" player but remember the cap hit, he'll command a bigger salary to be sure

- How quickly will Phaneuf develop? This affects how you build the rest of the D.

- Extend Kipper this summer when it's cheaper or go balls out for a cup run next year?

- Is Conroy a mistake? Should you ditch his salary and look for a UFA center? I know it's unlikely but a guy like Gomez feeding Iginla would be ridonkulous. Slide Tanguay to the 2nd line and your top 6 forwards would be aligned nicely.

Can't really comment on Playfair - you need to watch all the games to evaluate the coach.

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
No way, we have elite All-Stars like Danny Syvret, Bryan Young, Sebastian Bisaillon, and Matt Greene manning our blue line
you called Matt Green an allstar

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
you called Matt Green an allstar
Sarcasm doesn't come across well when it's not spoken.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Danny__K

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
Shots.. Hits.. Faceoffs.. Puck possession.. PP.. PK.. You name it.

The Detroit Red Wings dominated this series in every facet of the game. The better team won.
except calgarys PK and PP were better then the Wings.......................

Unsure how many periods at the end of that sentence were needed to give you enough time to contemplate and understand that...............

Otherwise i would agree the Flames were dominated.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
except calgarys PK and PP were better then the Wings.......................

Unsure how many periods at the end of that sentence were needed to give you enough time to contemplate and understand that...............

Otherwise i would agree the Flames were dominated.
Overall, yes, the Flames were better on special teams. In the last two games, though, Detroit worked them on the PP and the PK just as well as they did even-strength.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote