Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season game plan: Blow it up?

Old
04-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

vCash: 500
Off-season game plan: Blow it up?

Face it, this team has been on a steady decline since Game 6 vs. Tampa. We were a no-show in Game 7, had a decent regular season following the lockout, then subsequently got roasted by the Ducks in the post-season. And of course you all know what happened this season. Didn't even deserve to make the playoffs - but got in by the skin of our teeth - then got outclassed, I repeat, OUTCLASSED by a superior Red Wings team.

If this trend continues this team won't even make the playoffs next season (remember, you heard it here first!) I say fire the coach, get what you can for Iggy now, and start the re-building process ASAP.

The Chicago Blackhawks began the "7-year itch" in the mid-1990s, I think the Detroit Red Wings may have just begun another.

Let the off-season begin.

Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 04-23-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:53 AM
PapaBear*

Blow it right up boss!

Kaboom!!!

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
BenThatcher

Trade Huselius for a second pairing Dman under the age of 25. Re-sign Regehr and Iginla at the end of next year. Back the Brinks truck up to Kipper's backyard. Get rid of old guys like Amonte, McCarty, Friesen and hopefully Warrener, though nobody will take his contract. Harvest the crop of youngsters in Omaha like Tarahtukin, Prust, and Boyd. Sign a back up goalie that is capable of playing more than five games a year. Let Stuart and Hamrlik both go to greener pastures. Let Ritchie play instead of old bums like Amonte. Fire the current powerplay coach. Fire Jim Playfair. That's just what I would do in the first week of the offseason.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Other than not signing Stuart and perhaps firing the coaching staff, Ben Thatcher isn't that far off. I've heard Peter Maher say many times that if they bow out early this year Darryl will make some big time changes.

I wish someone could take Zyuzin and Warrener (Zyuzin signed for one more year, Warrener for two), as that's a combined 3.8 million you're pi$$ing on. Maybe you could move Zyuzin but Warrener is damaged goods and I can't see anyone taking him. Perhaps a buyout or a trade where you eat lots of his salary? I wouldn't want him, especially at 2.5 million a year until 2009. Yikes....

Amonte, Friesen, Nilson, McCarty, Krahn, and Primeau are certainly questionable for next year. You may want to keep either Preems or Friesen at a million dollars for one year, but the others will save you almost 7 million dollars a year if you let them go. Bring up Taratukhin, Nystrom (to see if he'll ever stick or becomes the next Krahn), Prust (although I have my doubts about him being an effective 4th liner), and Boyd if you think he's ready.

On defense, you can keep Regehr, Dion, Giordano. I'd sign Hamr is he took a paycut from 3.5 to 2 or something like that, but I'd let him walk otherwise. Stuart was fantastic for the Flames and I'd give him up to 4 million dollars. Like Hamr, if he's in it just for the money, I'd let him walk, but I'd love to see him back. That's another 3 million dollars you can save on the point to sign another 3/4 defenseman or to acquire via trade.

In regards to McLennan, he only made 500k, so I'd say sign a guy for an extra couple 100k that can play 10 games. As I said earlier, Krahn is a bust and I'd let him go. McElhineny should be left to develop another year seeing lots of action.

Your roster will look like this next year:
Tanguay-Langkow-Iggy
Huselius-Conroy-Moss
Friesen-Taratukhin-Lombardi
Ritchie- Yelle- Nystrom
Godard, Boyd, Prust

Stuart-Regehr
Dion-POTENTIAL NEW PLAYER
Warrener- Giordano
Regehr 2.0, Zyuzin

Kipper
NEW BACKUP

You have almost 9 million dollars this way to improve the team where it's needed: either with another top D or some character players to fill out the bottom 2 lines.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:40 AM
PapaBear*

^ Haha thats pretty much the same roster as we have now. Gee, why dont we just ice the same lineup

I would trade Regehr and possibly Hesulius if you can get a good return. Resign Stuart, another dman and let go of everyone on the bottom two lines but Yelle and Primeau.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Cactus Jack

That's 9 million dollars worth of addition by subtraction. That gives you the money to do almost anything you want and still have lots of proven players around. You could really change things if you could get rid of Zyuzin and Warrener, but that's likely not to happen. I think my plans is good because you have to see what the kids can do, but it still allows you to sign free agents and make deals. Plenty of cap room! You can sign some forwards but Darryl's history of signing forwards (McCarty, Amonte, Friesen, etc). leaves something to be desired.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
Face it, this team has been on a steady decline since Game 6 vs. Tampa. We were a no-show in Game 7, had a decent regular season following the lockout, then subsequently got roasted by the Ducks in the post-season. And of course you all know what happened this season. Didn't even deserve to make the playoffs - but got in by the skin of our teeth - then got outclassed, I repeat, OUTCLASSED by a superior Red Wings team.

If this trend continues this team won't even make the playoffs next season (remember, you heard it here first!) I say fire the coach, get what you can for Iggy now, and start the re-building process ASAP.

The Chicago Blackhawks began the "7-year itch" in the mid-1990s, I think the Detroit Red Wings may have just begun another.

Let the off-season begin.
I hate you.

1) We (actual Flames fans, not you) just got eliminated like 2 hours ago.

2) 'Blowing it up' is the stupid idea ever. Yeah trade Kiprusoff for 13 1st round picks, that's what we need to do. ****ing *********.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:51 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
That's 9 million dollars worth of addition by subtraction. That gives you the money to do almost anything you want and still have lots of proven players around. You could really change things if you could get rid of Zyuzin and Warrener, but that's likely not to happen. I think my plans is good because you have to see what the kids can do, but it still allows you to sign free agents and make deals. Plenty of cap room! You can sign some forwards but Darryl's history of signing forwards (McCarty, Amonte, Friesen, etc). leaves something to be desired.
All I know is, just as long as Zyuzin and Warrener arent back on the backend Im happy. But I know that wont happen.

Old
04-23-2007, 02:28 AM
fcbarcelona

Iginla for Wolski and Hejduk...

fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:10 AM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

did anyone catch the final score?

what do you guys ahev to show? At least Klowe is a genius fro squeezing three 1st rounders out of NYI.

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 03:14 AM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post
I hate you.

1) We (actual Flames fans, not you) just got eliminated like 2 hours ago.

2) 'Blowing it up' is the stupid idea ever. Yeah trade Kiprusoff for 13 1st round picks, that's what we need to do. ****ing *********.

did anyone catch the final score in tonites game?

what do you guys have to show? KLowe is a genius, at least he squeezed three 1st rounders out of NYI.

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:02 AM
Soundwave

Sutter won't trade Iginla. I just don't think he'd do it, the public backlash would be too much (then again Lowe went and moved Smyth in Edmonton).

I don't really understand how you guys were this bad. On paper, depth-wise there aren't too many teams in the West that should be better than you.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 08:44 AM
MAGICMAN1963

As an outside observer,and Flames fan,,,But Canucks first,,This is the team that D,Sutter built this year.The reason for the flames not doing so well this year,and more so on the road,is that they did not have an identity.They went from a bang-crash team to a more offencive team.Sorry to say but the grit was not there.
Get rid of guys like Hueslious,Amonte,Freison,Zyzin,Tanguay,,,
get back your grit,,,
Guys that you had like Donaven,,Clark,,ect,,,brought a lot of heart and charector
to the team.Please put Sutter back behind the bench also,as Jim Playfair just can not coach this team.
Sorry you lost,and best of luck next year

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
If this trend continues this team won't even make the playoffs next season (remember, you heard it here first!)
I guess I should be careful what I wish for. If we miss the playoffs next season everyone will be complaining "how come we didn't make the playoffs this year?" And the hockey gods will respond by saying "well, you said you didn't deserve to make the playoffs last year, so I'm simply making it a reality for you this year."

I hope Sutter makes the appropriate changes to get this ship righted again. The "five-year plan" is now down to one single solitary year. If we don't win the Cup next year, then blow it up (but I guess we'll have no choice by then eh!)

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICMAN1963 View Post
Get rid of guys like Hueslious,Amonte,Freison,Zyzin,Tanguay,,,
Tanguay? I disagree. He's been a great addition to this team and I hope to see him stay put. IMO he was one of our best players in this series.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Complacent Iggy

This team needs leadership badly, trade iggy he just doesn't have it. He'll be 30 next season, is way over rated and won't improve. Besides the team played better without him in the regular season. Huselius did nothing for us in the playoffs, and Langkow too. We need younger, faster, bigger, and hungrier players. I have a feeling we're spiraling down to the level of the Oilers, the only saving grace is that we have A) players worth trading
B) a city UFA's would like to come to

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Fire Playfair and bring Sutter back behind the bench and your problem is sorted.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
kurtcobang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkipper View Post
This team needs leadership badly, trade iggy he just doesn't have it. He'll be 30 next season, is way over rated and won't improve. Besides the team played better without him in the regular season. Huselius did nothing for us in the playoffs, and Langkow too. We need younger, faster, bigger, and hungrier players. I have a feeling we're spiraling down to the level of the Oilers, the only saving grace is that we have A) players worth trading
B) a city UFA's would like to come to
Who do you have worth trading besides iginla and regehr? Your GM signed all these bums your complaining about. Im shure Calgary is a top destination for free agents, what with all those free agent superstars you have signed in the past . Your a ****in ******

kurtcobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Cephalusc

I agree with a few things you said, but how do we not deserve to be in the playoffs? We won more games than Colorado. Colorado didn't deserve to be in the playoffs for ******** the bed in the first half.

However we didn't deserve to win a game in this series. We were outshot 2:1 (3:1 in last game?), showed no heart, couldn't respond to adversity and there wasn't much leadership. The core group (other than Kipper) didn't show up to play.

Playfair needs to go to change things up. I don't think losing this early was his fault, getting put played that badly is on the players. However a change is needed to get the players attention.

If possible I'd move Iginla for someone of equal value (ie Hossa for Heatley). If you can't get a player like that in return keep him. Move Huselius and let Hamrlik go.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:07 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalusc View Post
I agree with a few things you said, but how do we not deserve to be in the playoffs? We won more games than Colorado. Colorado didn't deserve to be in the playoffs for ******** the bed in the first half.
Actually, Calgary had more points the Colorado, but Colorado won one more game. Calgary just got more OT points.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Complacent Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtcobang View Post
Who do you have worth trading besides iginla and regehr? Your GM signed all these bums your complaining about. Im shure Calgary is a top destination for free agents, what with all those free agent superstars you have signed in the past . Your a ****in ******
Langkow, and Huselius have trade value, they both had similar years to Smyth. Kipper is a superstar, although they should never trade him, Phaneuf, and Tanguay would be good trade bait too.

I moved out to Alberta 10 years ago from Winnipeg, and as far as Edmonton's concerned I'd rate it about the same as Winnipeg. Very cold in the winter, and an ugly eyesore, at least Winnipeg has a nice cottage area one hour outside of the city. Heres to the Oilers being the Maple Leafs of the west. Does a day go by with no mention of the glory days of the 80's in the Deadmonton Sun sports pages? Do you believe in Karma?

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
... how do we not deserve to be in the playoffs? We won more games than Colorado. Colorado didn't deserve to be in the playoffs for ******** the bed in the first half.
The Flames just weren't prepared. They lacked that mental toughness, in a lot of cases they lacked discipline, and the work ethic wasn't there.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
The Flames just weren't prepared. They lacked that mental toughness, in a lot of cases they lacked discipline, and the work ethic wasn't there.
That's exactly it. That's what they lacked this year and that's equally on the coach and the players. Now you have to make changes to perhaps both parties.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
MyDogsAn_Oilers_fan

Quote:

However we didn't deserve to win a game in this series. We were outshot 2:1 (3:1 in last game?), showed no heart, couldn't respond to adversity and there wasn't much leadership. The core group (other than Kipper) didn't show up to play.

Playfair needs to go to change things up. I don't think losing this early was his fault, getting put played that badly is on the players. However a change is needed to get the players attention.

If possible I'd move Iginla for someone of equal value (ie Hossa for Heatley). If you can't get a player like that in return keep him. Move Huselius and let Hamrlik go.
Actually Colorado's record was 44-31-7 compared to the Flames 43-29-10.

MyDogsAn_Oilers_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodybutcalgary View Post
did anyone catch the final score in tonites game?

what do you guys have to show? KLowe is a genius, at least he squeezed three 1st rounders out of NYI.
we got revenue from 3 home playoff games.. what did u get?

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote