Notices

Off-season game plan: Blow it up?

Old
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
mac_82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Fair enough. I was just trying to give an outsider's opinion.

No worries. I think the main problem with trading Ference/Kobasew was the chemistry that it took away from the team. I mean don't get me wrong, Ference was the one guy I loved to hate on the team because most of the time he looked like a forward that the coach put out for his first shift of defense in novice. But other times he really stepped up to the plate, and showed he had top 4 dman potential.

Is it just me or does it seem we lost our 03/04 core faster than we did our core from 88/89?

mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:27 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
this is what i would do with this team next season (i stole this from myself on another board )

Line 1:

Tanguay - Langkow - Iginla
i would for sure reunite this line it was the line that was together as the top unit when we actually won games consistenly

Line 2a:
Huselius - Taratukhin - Lombardi
I think Taratukhin's ability to win draws and his ability to play defense would be a big plus on this line... plus he is slick enough offensively to fit right in

Line 2b:
Boyd - Conroy - Moss
Moss has shown an ability to play well in clutch games... Boyd is the hotshot prospect and Conroy will provide leadership and strong defensive play to the line

Checking line:
Primeau - Yelle - Prust
this wouldbe a strong defensive line as well as it would be more offensively talented IMO than when it had Friesen and Nilson on it

pressbox: a UFA 4th liner looking for a job... as long as he can skate and play some defense we'll sign him (could be Friesen if he will do it for 750k or less

Defense 1:
Regehr - Stuart
i think they played great together after Stuart's acquisition and i think Stuart will re-sign here

Defense 2:
Phaneuf - Hale
i know its a risk putting Hale in the top 4 but he was used regulary in PK and even stregth situations... he doesnt pinch often and that would give Dion teh chance to do just that... and with his ability to throw the big hit our top 4 would arguably be the most punishing in the NHL

Defense 3:
Zyuzin - Giordano - Ri. Regehr
i can see the 3 being rotated in and out... both Gio and Zyuzin have earned their spots next year so Richie will basically be the #7 guy but i think he will play well enough to push one of those 2 out of the lineup on a semi-regular basis

No Warrener... trade Rhett... i dont care if its for a 2nd round pick... he just doesnt have what it takes anymore... he played better in the playoffs but IMO its time for him to move on... maybe a fresh start elsewhere will give him some new life

Starter Goaltender:
Kiprusoff

Backup Goaltender:
if Irving is eligible to play in the AHL then i would give this job to McElhinney as his play in the AHL has at least warrented that he deserves a more than legit shot at it... if he doesnt perform well in camp ther eis always backup goalies available for cheap

the focus of this team IMO is adding youthful enthusiasm and maybe even a little more talent... winning more faceoffs is an absolute must... and this lineup would give us Primeau and Lombardi who can step in and win the draws if guy are thrown out of the circle or are injured... Prust would also bring the grit we were sometimes lacking... and taratukhin and Boyd could challenge for the Calder trophy instead of the Calder Cup next season
My Sentiments exactly. Well Played Lunatik. This is the best I have seen yet. Who would you like to see coach the team though?

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:21 PM
sandbox

First off Here are our UFAs
I have bolded those who I think we should keep.

Brad Stuart
Roman Hamrlik
(if he takes a significant pay cut to 2million, and plays 2nd pairing time)
Marcus Nilson
Tony Amonte
Darren McCarty
Wayne Primeau
Jeff Friesen
Byron Ritchie
Jamie McLennan
Brad Ference
Carsen Germyn (Group VI)
Brent Krahn (Group VI)

Line 1:

Smyth-Langkow-Iginla
(I know people love tanguay, but i'd rather trade him, get some value, then add smyth.) If we want to play a style like we did in 03/04 we need to get rid of tanguay. That line makes me so happy.

Line 2a:
Shanahan-Lombardi-Moss (Boyd)
Shanny is a UFA, I love what he brings to an organization. IF we could get him for 3.5, I'd say do it. (only 1 year tho).
I'm not sure if I want Lombardi on my 2nd line, i dont really like him that much, but he did show me something in the last 3 playoff games..

Checking line:
Primeau - Yelle - Dustin Brown
Brown aquired in the tanguay deal.

4th Line
Ritchie- Boyd (moss, would have to shift over to wing)-Nilson

13th man: prust

Defense 1:
Regehr - Stuart

Defense 2:
Phaneuf-Hamrlik (if he signs for 2 million)
(I'd love to seem them trade him for Weber, but thats just a dream)

Defense 3:
Hale- Giordano

Starter Goaltender:
Kiprusoff

Backup Goaltender:
Jamie McLennan

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 05:09 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
(I know people love tanguay, but i'd rather trade him, get some value... If we want to play a style like we did in 03/04 we need to get rid of tanguay.
I totally agree on that and I'd like to see the 04-Flames back again next season.
Therefore I'd go like this.

Defence:
Resign Stuart. After struggeling in the first two games, he played great for the rest of the season and will help to strenghten our defence next season.
I really like Hamrlik, but I think it would be too expensive to resign him.
I'd like to see Scott Hannan in a Flames jersey. Furthermore it is very important to keep Robyn Regehr.
So my defence would look like this next season:

Phaneuf - Stuart
Hannan - Regehr
Giordano - Warrener
Hale - Regehr 2.0

If the Flames are in for a serious cup run, I'd try to strenghten the defence at the trading-deadline, though.

Offence:
As I mentioned above, I'd like to see Tanguay and Huselius traded to free up some cap space up front and to come back to Flames-hockey 04. Although Ryan Smyth would be a great fit to the Flames line-up,
it's too expensive in my opinion. I'd like to go for Scott Hartnell and Sean Avery or Mark Bell in the off-season.
Furthermore I'd like to bring in Tarathukin, Boyd and Prust, so my line-up would look like this:

Hartnell - Langkow - Iginla
Boyd - Conroy - Moss
Avery/Bell - Tarathukin - Lombardi
Primeau - Yelle - Prust

Goalies:
I wouldn't change much here. Resign Noodles to back up Kipper and give McElhinney some starts in back-to-back games next season.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
I can say one thing this team needs some youthful rookie overexuberance.

To many guys on the wrong side of the career path playing in the 3rd and 4th lines. Bring in some young guns to replace the old guys that are going out and this team will be fine next year.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
I totally agree on that and I'd like to see the 04-Flames back again next season.
I don't want to see the Flames of 2004 back. I want to see the work ethic of 2004 back, but not that same team. Tanguay would be one of the last guys I'd even consider trading. And I'd also like to see Huselius back next season. Yes, he was invisible during the playoffs, but after a season like the one he just had, he could only get better.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFeva View Post
My Sentiments exactly. Well Played Lunatik. This is the best I have seen yet. Who would you like to see coach the team though?
Playfair isnt the problem... the problem is there are no leaders other than Iginla on this team... and our 3rd/4th line guys are on the downside of their careers... they don't have anything left to improve... the Flames went from being a great young team to being an older team in just a few bad signings

if Playfair was fires i would deffinately approach Pat Burns... but I don't think Playfair should be fired nor do I think he will be... Sutter IMO is a bigger problem than Playfair at this point in time because I see the problems being hobbible free agent signings

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I don't want to see the Flames of 2004 back. I want to see the work ethic of 2004 back, but not that same team.
I am not talking about trading for Gelinas and co., but about the style of play, that the Flames brought to the finals in 04.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:14 PM
BenThatcher

I love how people here are all putting together lines with guys like Shanahan, Ryan Smyth, and Brad Stuart. Stuart is as good as gone, there is no way Hamrlik is taking a pay cut to $2m, and what makes you think we can afford guys like Shanahan or Smyth? Tanguay has a no trade clause now, so he's not going anywhere.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
I can say one thing this team needs some youthful rookie overexuberance.

To many guys on the wrong side of the career path playing in the 3rd and 4th lines. Bring in some young guns to replace the old guys that are going out and this team will be fine next year.
I am sure there will be some addition by subtraction. Young, hungry players who are willing to go to the wall, should provide considerable spark to the club.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
this is what i would do with this team next season (i stole this from myself on another board )

Line 1:

i would for sure reunite this line it was the line that was together as the top unit when we actually won games consistenly

Line 2a:
Huselius - Taratukhin - Lombardi
I think Taratukhin's ability to win draws and his ability to play defense would be a big plus on this line... plus he is slick enough offensively to fit right in

Line 2b:
Boyd - Conroy - Moss
Moss has shown an ability to play well in clutch games... Boyd is the hotshot prospect and Conroy will provide leadership and strong defensive play to the line

Checking line:
Primeau - Yelle - Prust
this wouldbe a strong defensive line as well as it would be more offensively talented IMO than when it had Friesen and Nilson on it

pressbox: a UFA 4th liner looking for a job... as long as he can skate and play some defense we'll sign him (could be Friesen if he will do it for 750k or less

Defense 1:
Regehr - Stuart
i think they played great together after Stuart's acquisition and i think Stuart will re-sign here

Defense 2:
Phaneuf - Hale
i know its a risk putting Hale in the top 4 but he was used regulary in PK and even stregth situations... he doesnt pinch often and that would give Dion teh chance to do just that... and with his ability to throw the big hit our top 4 would arguably be the most punishing in the NHL

Defense 3:
Zyuzin - Giordano - Ri. Regehr
i can see the 3 being rotated in and out... both Gio and Zyuzin have earned their spots next year so Richie will basically be the #7 guy but i think he will play well enough to push one of those 2 out of the lineup on a semi-regular basis

No Warrener... trade Rhett... i dont care if its for a 2nd round pick... he just doesnt have what it takes anymore... he played better in the playoffs but IMO its time for him to move on... maybe a fresh start elsewhere will give him some new life

Starter Goaltender:
Kiprusoff

Backup Goaltender:
if Irving is eligible to play in the AHL then i would give this job to McElhinney as his play in the AHL has at least warrented that he deserves a more than legit shot at it... if he doesnt perform well in camp ther eis always backup goalies available for cheap

the focus of this team IMO is adding youthful enthusiasm and maybe even a little more talent... winning more faceoffs is an absolute must... and this lineup would give us Primeau and Lombardi who can step in and win the draws if guy are thrown out of the circle or are injured... Prust would also bring the grit we were sometimes lacking... and taratukhin and Boyd could challenge for the Calder trophy instead of the Calder Cup next season
Not bad Luna, I like the first line for sure, I also like the idea of Prust and Boyd on the team for sure, and if Taratukhin can show enough I would like to see him get time, I like keeping Primeau as well, just 'cause he brings more physicality than Friesen or Nilson I think, I also like the idea of getting Scott Walker that was mentioned earlier, he would be a nice second line winger. Also, I don't like dropping Hamrlik in your example if we also drop Warrener, I would prefer to use that cash to keep Hamrlik who I don't think would be asking for a lot of cash, I bet 3 mil would get it done with him.

Maybe something like this...

Boyd - Conroy - Walker
Huselius - Lombardi - Moss
Prust - Yelle - Primeau
Taratukhin, Godard

Regehr - Stuart
Phaneuf - Hamrlik
Hale - Giordano
Zyuzin

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

I think Curtis Mac is ready and with both Keetley and Lalande being available for the minors next year (correct me if I am wrong) it would be best to let them split time with the Knights IMO, I like giving Taratukhin a chance or two, and keeping Godard around to replace Prust in certain games.

This line-up would cost under 47 mil IMO, may as well go for it this year and then worry about blowing it up next year (in which I would keep Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper and pay them, then build around them)

Last edited by kruezer: 04-29-2007 at 09:00 PM.
kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
da_pope*

We should trade Iggy and get Sean Weber and get a pick from Nashville.

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
Not bad Luna, I like the first line for sure, I also like the idea of Prust and Boyd on the team for sure, and if Taratukhin can show enough I would like to see him get time, I like keeping Primeau as well, just 'cause he brings more physicality than Friesen or Nilson I think, I also like the idea of getting Scott Walker that was mentioned earlier, he would be a nice second line winger. Also, I don't like dropping Hamrlik in your example if we also drop Warrener, I would prefer to use that cash to keep Hamrlik who I don't think would be asking for a lot of cash, I bet 3 mil would get it done with him.

Maybe something like this...

Boyd - Conroy - Walker
Huselius - Lombardi - Moss
Prust - Yelle - Primeau
Taratukhin, Godard

Regehr - Stuart
Phaneuf - Hamrlik
Hale - Giordano
Zyuzin

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

I think Curtis Mac is ready and with both Keetley and Lalande being available for the minors next year (correct me if I am wrong) it would be best to let them split time with the Knights IMO, I like giving Taratukhin a chance or two, and keeping Godard around to replace Prust in certain games.

This line-up would cost under 47 mil IMO, may as well go for it this year and then worry about blowing it up next year (in which I would keep Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper and pay them, then build around them)
one of the things i was thinking (and even more so now) when i posted my defense pairings (Regehr - Staurt, Phaneuf - Hale, Zyuzin - Giordano - Ri. Regehr is the possibility of dressing 7 defensemen in alot of games... dress only Primeau and Yelle as the 4th line and have Prust and Nystrom as the extras... Iginla has shown he can play alot of minutes... so adding an extra 5 minutes or so by playing with Primeau and Yelle on their even strength shifts wouldnt kill him

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 11:20 PM
kruezer

That seems pretty reasonable to me, Iginla can certainly handle more minutes I think, and with the players the Flames have that can proficiently switch positions they could probably throw some random guys on that fourth line RW at times, I think Nystrom has gotta go back to the minors one more year IMO though, he was ready before this year, but with all the injuries I think Taratukhin, Boyd and even Prust with his stellar playoffs so far in the AHL have passed him one the depth charts.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxflamerxX View Post
We should trade Iggy and get Sean Weber and get a pick from Nashville.
No, we shouldn't.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
The funny thing is that Hemsky 83 gave as a good an analysis as anyone. I agree with lots of his takes but Hamr should be resigned if he miss out on Stuart. Hartnell, Hannan, and Smyth would be fantastic additions but they're amongst the top free agents this summer and no way any one team could afford them all. Smyth especially is the kind of guy this team needs, but five million is a lot for him. You'd need to get rid of Huselius or Tanguay for that to happen.

I'd rather add a bottom 2 line guy like Walker, as the top 2 lines should be kept in tact for one more year. We need to overhaul our bottom 2 lines, backup goalie, and last 3 D.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote