HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where does your kid play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
  #151
javorka
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I knew it!

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
  #152
Hockeymom67
Registered User
 
Hockeymom67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Have a good tourney.
We were in Rochester NY last weekend. Did some Xmas shopping while there, gotta love that Canadian $ right now

Thanks . Unfortunately ,we didn't get lucky in this tourney ....many more to come tho. My son's team is single letter house league but we've got over half the team with Elite team experience .So much potential ,unfortunately we don't have a vey good goalie and this hurts us at times.
In all ,this weekend was a good away tournament that helped the team connect and get the chemistry going between players

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
  #153
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post

last season my 5 year old ( 4 years at the time ) was awarded player of the year for his association .( bridgeport, CT.) he played mites (6-8 yrs.).
i was never prouder in my life.
the girl in the picture is julie chu of the U.S womens team. and that is her olympic bronze medal.
be still my beating heart! Oh the hotness that is julie chu!!!!!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 02:54 PM
  #154
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
my 4 year old scored his first goal ever. ... at the moose game in front of 7500 people. he was named mvp for the game. we're so proud of him. my 6 year old ( the one with julie chu above)was sick so he couldn't play , but he has 35 goals so far this year and they've played 9 games so far. they are both doing fantastic. gotta love timbits hockey.



Last edited by vivianmb: 12-23-2007 at 02:59 PM.
vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
  #155
4Hockey4
Registered User
 
4Hockey4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Congrats to your 4 YO....so are you in CT or Canada ?? looking for a good mite camp in the N.E. over the summer for a 7 YO.....we are in VA and he has to play too far up, and we'd like to get him involved with kids his own age

Thx

4Hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2007, 07:27 PM
  #156
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Congrats to your 4 YO....so are you in CT or Canada ?? looking for a good mite camp in the N.E. over the summer for a 7 YO.....we are in VA and he has to play too far up, and we'd like to get him involved with kids his own age

Thx
i moved to winnipeg in march. a good camp for 7-10's in N.E. ? check tabor academy at www.hockeyjournal.com


Last edited by vivianmb: 12-27-2007 at 12:29 AM.
vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2007, 07:45 AM
  #157
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
my 4 year old scored his first goal ever. ... at the moose game in front of 7500 people. he was named mvp for the game. we're so proud of him. my 6 year old ( the one with julie chu above)was sick so he couldn't play , but he has 35 goals so far this year and they've played 9 games so far. they are both doing fantastic. gotta love timbits hockey.

That's awesome! He must have been pumped eh?

My 4-year old is doing pretty well too. He's still one of the weaker players out there but his skating has come a long way.

He touched the puck 4 times in his last game so he was pretty proud of that. He's still a little hesitant to get in the big scrums. I don't blame him though. He's still not very confident with his skating and because almost every kid is a giant compared to him, he's a bit intimidated when a large group is digging for the puck.

I keep telling him to stand near the goalie and sweep in any loose pucks. He's been getting that message lately. Although, he still manages to find the other teams #7 and finds this a great ice-breaker to strike up a conversation.
The other game he and their #7 (a cute little girl his age and size) used up most of a 3-minute shift chatting at centre ice while the play wizzed around them. Everyone in the arena had a good laugh over that.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
  #158
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
my 4 year old scored his first goal ever. ... at the moose game in front of 7500 people. he was named mvp for the game. we're so proud of him. my 6 year old ( the one with julie chu above)was sick so he couldn't play , but he has 35 goals so far this year and they've played 9 games so far. they are both doing fantastic. gotta love timbits hockey.

Congrats to the little man!

My 4 YO starts skating lessons next weekend. Any advice would be appreciated...

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 12:51 PM
  #159
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Congrats to the little man!

My 4 YO starts skating lessons next weekend. Any advice would be appreciated...
first and foremost LET HIM HAVE FUN!!!!
secondly. lots of circles in both directions.
thirdly LET HIM HAVE FUN!!!

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 01:10 PM
  #160
FDBluth
Registered User
 
FDBluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,821
vCash: 500
I don't have a kid...I hope.

One thing for you dads, though...When I was a little kid my parents put me in figure skating lessons. It really helped me become a much better skater and it really teaches you to use your edges and to do crossovers, forewards and backwards. In Canada it's called CanSkate, and that's what I did. I would recommend it.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
  #161
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
My 4 YO starts skating lessons next weekend. Any advice would be appreciated...
-Make sure his skates fit correctly and are tied tightly enough

-If he's not wearing full equipment yet, make sure he's dressed warmly enough and that he wears a helmet. Hockey or ski helmets are best, but even a bike helmet is better than nothing.

-If he's really not having fun, take him off for a few minutes "just to watch". If he doesn't last the whole class, don't worry about it; it's not uncommon for a 4 y.o. not to the first few weeks.

-Most importantly, if you can skate yourself, take him to open skating- not to practice, per se, just to have fun skating with you. I coach, and I can always pick out the pre-hockey kids in my classes who skate between their lessons. They progress faster AND they enjoy it more because they can see their progress more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post

One thing for you dads, though...When I was a little kid my parents put me in figure skating lessons. It really helped me become a much better skater and it really teaches you to use your edges and to do crossovers, forewards and backwards. In Canada it's called CanSkate, and that's what I did. I would recommend it.
I competed in figure skating from age 11-25 and started playing hockey at 24. People I play with never know quite what to make of me, because I'm usually one of the better skaters on the ice- and then they see me try to stickhandle and shoot I teach both figure skating and power skating (for hockey), and it's amazing how much better some of the mite and squirt kids become after spending some time working on skating skills without worrying about a stick and a puck, AND having the basic mechanics of edges and how their blades work explained.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 08:45 AM
  #162
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
THanks for all the advice!

I'll be skating with him during open skates as long as he wants to. I'm not sure where he stands with it yet ebacuse we only went out skating twice. Once was a blast and once was a tragedy...so now we're looking to see if he's really interested, somewhat interested or not interested.

Definitely no pressure on him. Just want to know if he enjoys it and wants tokeep with it. I hadn't skated in some 20 years when I brough him to the rink the first time.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 07:58 AM
  #163
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
THanks for all the advice!

I'll be skating with him during open skates as long as he wants to. I'm not sure where he stands with it yet ebacuse we only went out skating twice. Once was a blast and once was a tragedy...so now we're looking to see if he's really interested, somewhat interested or not interested.

Definitely no pressure on him. Just want to know if he enjoys it and wants tokeep with it. I hadn't skated in some 20 years when I brough him to the rink the first time.
The best advice I was ever given was think of it as stacking penny's. It's a slow process but on some days you stack a few, and on others you take a few off.

When I signed my 4 YO up for a 9 week CanSkate program the first lessen was horrific. But in the 2nd session it was amazing - night and day compared to the first. It had a lot to do with the instructor that showed up for week 2 through week 9.

But even with his hockey this year, he started out rough having a few good games/practices and then having some bad ones.
But now that he's comfortable with skating and doing the drills he's really liking it.

Good luck. Have lots of patience and don't get down if he has a bad day. It's all about encouragment and don't get discouraged.

I've witnessed some kids that literally laid on the ice and cried the first 4 weeks to suddenly becoming a superstar over night.

One 6 YO on another team did just that. In practice he would cry and cry. And on game days he'd stand by the boards and not move his feet. And then suddenly, after about 4 weeks, he showed up to a game and looked like an entirely different kid. He was skating, shooting, digging for pucks. It was like a light switch suddenly got turned on and he figured out what he had to do.

Every kid has a different learning curve. We're all not going to have a Sidney Crosby on our hands or even a Richard Park.

At this age, it should be about skill development, social development and having fun. My kid gets a bigger kick out of yapping on the bench with his teammates and hamming it up in the dressing room before and after games.
That's fine with me.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 09:43 AM
  #164
4Hockey4
Registered User
 
4Hockey4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
We had real good luck starting both of ours in the Lil Bauer skates. Comfortable, and they don't have the pick on the front.....the 6 YO did lessons when he turned 4 in them, 3 sets, and then went to Bauer Vapors...it was also nice to make sure they wanted to continue before buying exp. skates.

Don't buy cheap skates - my son loves hockey as much as air, and he wanted to give up cause the "cheap" ($50 online after a friend fit him) skates hurt too much

Have fun, no pressure, and go with them when you can !!!

Enjoy

4Hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 09:46 AM
  #165
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
The best advice I was ever given was think of it as stacking penny's. It's a slow process but on some days you stack a few, and on others you take a few off.

When I signed my 4 YO up for a 9 week CanSkate program the first lessen was horrific. But in the 2nd session it was amazing - night and day compared to the first. It had a lot to do with the instructor that showed up for week 2 through week 9.

But even with his hockey this year, he started out rough having a few good games/practices and then having some bad ones.
But now that he's comfortable with skating and doing the drills he's really liking it.

Good luck. Have lots of patience and don't get down if he has a bad day. It's all about encouragment and don't get discouraged.

I've witnessed some kids that literally laid on the ice and cried the first 4 weeks to suddenly becoming a superstar over night.

One 6 YO on another team did just that. In practice he would cry and cry. And on game days he'd stand by the boards and not move his feet. And then suddenly, after about 4 weeks, he showed up to a game and looked like an entirely different kid. He was skating, shooting, digging for pucks. It was like a light switch suddenly got turned on and he figured out what he had to do.

Every kid has a different learning curve. We're all not going to have a Sidney Crosby on our hands or even a Richard Park.

At this age, it should be about skill development, social development and having fun. My kid gets a bigger kick out of yapping on the bench with his teammates and hamming it up in the dressing room before and after games.
That's fine with me.

Good luck and have fun with it!
absolutely on the money! we have two kids on my sons' team who would lay down on the ice for their whole shifts.so the coach made them play goal. and when the puck hit them everyone yells "great save". now 10 weeks into the season , they dont lay down on the ice anymore.
PATIENCE.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
  #166
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
doubleminor138, just to give you a glimpse of how things might progress.

Like I stated, when I first got my 4 YO in skating and hockey things didn't start out so well.
In fact, with his personality type, I kind of figured that at best, he wouldn't mind playing hockey for a couple of seasons and then probably quit before he was 8.

But with patience and a TONNE of encouragement, I think he might have caught the hockey-bug.
Last night, we got to skate on the rink I built for the first time (we had been out twice before, but water underneath kept spilling uptop and forcing us off).
We horsed around for over an hour and I had to bribe him to get off as I was getting tired. He would have stayed out there till midnight if I let him.

I thought that story might help you along with your son. Some kids take to it like fish in water. One friend of mine has a 4 YO son as well, and despite never watching the game on TV, or pressure from his dad, this kid is gung-ho about hockey. He can't get enough.
But a lot more take some warming up to the idea.
I have another friend that put his kid in hockey and because of extra pressure from him, the kid never took to the game. He rejected it and I don't think he'll ever go back.

It's a fine line because you don't want to teach your kids to be quitters but you don't want them to hate it to the point they'll never do it again.
But keep up the positive atmosphere and I'm sure he'll do great.
One thing my kid absolutely loves is how I'll use his number when cheering him on. I'll yell things like "Nice shot #7!", "Way to go #7". I don't know why, be he loves that.

Good luck!

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  #167
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Thanks again, folks. Its great to hear your stories because it will really help me to put things in perspective when my child decides to have an episode.

More than anything, I don't want to pressure him into doing anythign he doesn't want to. But I can safely say that he's signed up for 10 weeks of skating lessons...we'll be at the rink for 10 weeks.

My son presently views hockey as time that I spend away from him. He doesn't want to watch hockey, he wants to play (not necessarily hockey, but you get my drift). So that's why the skating lessons in the first place. Well, that and I loved skating whenmI was younger but never took lessons.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
  #168
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Two lessons in. My child's first foray into an organized learning environment. He's not gotten very much out of it yet, but we're goign back every week even if its just to watch him holler and get him to sit and watch the other kids.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
  #169
Phunhog
Registered User
 
Phunhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
testing 1 2

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
  #170
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
Wellm, the third class wasn't a nightmare...but my son didn't want to get on the ice. We sat and watched the other kids try to skate.

He didn't want to go at all, but we did. When he refused to go out on the ice because he was scared (of what, I'm not sure yet) we sat and watched.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point except maybe get some skates myself and take him to some open skating sessions to practice. He seems intimidated by not havign someone he knows to skate with. And when he tries to make some new friends...its not exactly the best time to start chatting so it doesn't go over.

Ah well, maybe I'll get myself some skates and see if he wants to join me.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
  #171
hockeyfreak95*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hershey,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
i play on hershey jr bears peewee AAA. we just won our regional silversticks and we are leaving tomorrow for the finals in port huron. i am so siked!

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:46 AM
  #172
Hank19
Registered User
 
Hank19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Wellm, the third class wasn't a nightmare...but my son didn't want to get on the ice. We sat and watched the other kids try to skate.

He didn't want to go at all, but we did. When he refused to go out on the ice because he was scared (of what, I'm not sure yet) we sat and watched.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point except maybe get some skates myself and take him to some open skating sessions to practice. He seems intimidated by not havign someone he knows to skate with. And when he tries to make some new friends...its not exactly the best time to start chatting so it doesn't go over.

Ah well, maybe I'll get myself some skates and see if he wants to join me.
My kid was frightened to death as well. His fear was over falling. I don't think he was afraid of the pain (he was well padded) but rather being disappointed with himself and the fact that he had a hard time getting up on his own.
Once he figured out how to stand up by himself, it was gravy.

It also helped that I got to go on the ice with him during his 9 week skating lessens. And his instructor was awesome - very patient and made a huge deal out of any advance the kids made. That really got my son going.

Don't be discouraged. They're very young. I know some buddies who had kids that wailed on the ice for 2 years. Now those same kids can't get enough of hockey. Baby steps.
Public skating is a great way to start.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:28 AM
  #173
javorka
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Wellm, the third class wasn't a nightmare...but my son didn't want to get on the ice. We sat and watched the other kids try to skate.

He didn't want to go at all, but we did. When he refused to go out on the ice because he was scared (of what, I'm not sure yet) we sat and watched.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point except maybe get some skates myself and take him to some open skating sessions to practice. He seems intimidated by not havign someone he knows to skate with. And when he tries to make some new friends...its not exactly the best time to start chatting so it doesn't go over.

Ah well, maybe I'll get myself some skates and see if he wants to join me.
Yeah, don't fret. The first winter we tried to get our younger boy skating he just wasn't interested. Next season he just took to the ice, and is one of the strongest skaters in his age group, now.

BTW, make sure your little one in comfortable - not too cold or too hot. Sometimes kids aren't interested in participating because they associate skating with one or the other.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
  #174
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 500
THanks for the encouragement!

I'll be taking him to some free skating sessions pretty soon, so he can watch his dad skate a little. Maybe he'll be more likely to "take a chance" with me on the ice with him.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
  #175
4Hockey4
Registered User
 
4Hockey4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Yea my 3 YO loves hockey and plays with our 6 YO downstairs, not to mention he's at the icepark and tourneys a bunch.....he went like 10 times to public skate, and was doing great....1st lesson GREAT....then...he didn't want to go....so he's back at public skate and loving it !!!!

4Hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.