HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1997 Playoff Run:How good was it?

Old
04-21-2007, 09:53 PM
DaBadGuy7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
1997 Playoff Run:How good was it?

I was only 6 and only a casual kid fan at best I remember 1997 Rangers run to the conference finals only to lose to the Legion of Doom led Philadelphia Flyers. So can anyone describe and expain each round series and how the Rangers played and who were the key palyers in the series.

Thanks?

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:03 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
First 2 rounds were pretty identical won each series 4-1 , richter gretzky and messier were majorly responsible. Gretzky won 1 game in each series as I recall with his hatricks, richter had 1 shutout in each series (maybe more dont recall). Though I think that team was real similar to last years rangers team in that Jagr went down and we shat ourselves, same in 97 when messier got a charlie horse we just lay down for philly.

Though as I recall a big turning point in series with philly after it was tied 1 game to 1 was when richter went out a bit to cover up a puck that bounced off the boards and put his glove over it but Lindros just skated up to him pulled it out from his glove and put it into the net, was the most annoying **** ever richter had it for like 2 seconds and lindros just walked up open the glove took it and shot it in.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:09 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I remember it being very much a case of a team that hadn't been spectacular in the regular season suddenly gelling in the playoffs. All the veterans, Soupy's coaching, Alexei Kovalev, everything suddenly came together and they played very very well.

They were worn out by the time they played Philly, back when the Flyers were a big, big, mean team to play against. The Rangers competed pretty well against that team, considering everyone knew what Philly were going to try to do - grind the Rangers into powder - and they did it well.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
First 2 rounds were pretty identical won each series 4-1 , richter gretzky and messier were majorly responsible. Gretzky won 1 game in each series as I recall with his hatricks, richter had 1 shutout in each series (maybe more dont recall). Though I think that team was real similar to last years rangers team in that Jagr went down and we shat ourselves, same in 97 when messier got a charlie horse we just lay down for philly.

Though as I recall a big turning point in series with philly after it was tied 1 game to 1 was when richter went out a bit to cover up a puck that bounced off the boards and put his glove over it but Lindros just skated up to him pulled it out from his glove and put it into the net, was the most annoying **** ever richter had it for like 2 seconds and lindros just walked up open the glove took it and shot it in.
I loved the team in 97 and really thought that they had what it took to win the cup. That was also the season Kovalev was lost due to injury for the year. The first round TGO and Mess schooled the Cats, esp at the garden. I still remember thier coaches face turning beat red from getting so owned! As a person who loved Gretzky growing up and didn't get to see him play much I really enjoyed this series as that was classic Gretzky in that round.

Second round was the Debbies with Graves scoring an almost identical wrap around double OT goal on Marty as Mattau did in 94. I remember we lost a lot of guys to injury in this series as the Debbies got thier panties in a bunch when Colin Campbel's game plan had the Rangers very prepared to play them. I believe this series is when the Devil fans hatred for the Rangers really started, not 94. I remember Gretzky pointing to his head after one game when the Devils were losing it saying they were in thier heads, another great series but the reason the team fell to the Flyers the next round was because we lost key players to injuries. If memory serves, which it usually doesn't, we lost Niklas Sundstrom, Shane Churla, Ulfy, and also Russ Courtnal (he may have played hurt) which really hurt the teams already weak depth. Guys like Ken Genander and the Ferraro twins were called upon and aside from one great game that TGO won us we just couldn't keep up with the best line in the league then that legion of broom thing.

Last edited by Radek27: 04-21-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: bad memory
Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I remember it being very much a case of a team that hadn't been spectacular in the regular season suddenly gelling in the playoffs. All the veterans, Soupy's coaching, Alexei Kovalev, everything suddenly came together and they played very very well.

They were worn out by the time they played Philly, back when the Flyers were a big, big, mean team to play against. The Rangers competed pretty well against that team, considering everyone knew what Philly were going to try to do - grind the Rangers into powder - and they did it well.
Kovy only played half the season as he tore his ACL. Anyone remember the pregame show where they showed his surgury? That was awesome! This was also the time where Vorobiev got a shot to take over Kovy's place and did well for a while then..........I dunno what really happened to him after that.

Old
04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

The 1997 Rangers bought into a defensive system and played brilliantly despite being devastated by injuries. By the Flyers series, they could barely ice a full team.

They beat Florida 4-1 in a series that included Gretzky's natural hat trick (one of the greatest games I have ever attended) and won another game on an overtime goal by Esa Tikannen that came after a lengthy video review. Against Jersey they completely shut down the Devils and were the beneficiary of the then no tolerance rule about players being in the crease -- I think the Devils had 3 goals waved off in the series because someone had a skate in the crease. Adam Graves won the final game in overtime and the photo of him celebrating is classic. Along the way, they lost several players to injuries -- Kovalev ripped up his knee at midseason, Bill Berg went out with (I think) a broken leg and Nicholas Sundstrom has his arm broken by John MacLean.

In the finals they had to bring up Dallas Eakins and have him skate as a forward. Gretzky scored a hat trick to beat Garth Snow in Philadelphia but the Flyers won a game in the Garden on a late power play and held on to win another despite a great Ranger rally in the 3rd period. It was a gutty display by an undermanned team and the standard for hard work and tenacity by this franchise.

And it was very similar to what is going on in New York this year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
rangerjoe

The '97 playoff run was a bit surprising but still awesome. The first round against Florida was closer than the 4-1 series win indicates. We got shutout 3-0 in game 1 in Florida, and them shut them out by the same score in game 2. The Rangers won Game 3 at the Garden, but it took a last second goal by Luc Robitaille to tie the score and send it to OT, where a missile of a slapshot by Esa Tikkanen won it. His slapshot was so hard that it hit the back pipe inside the net and flew out so fast that play continued without the goal light or ref signalling a goal. When the play stopped, the refs called for a review. Tikannen was the only one inside MSG that was confident it went in. In fact he went and put his arm around Mike Richter with a huge smile on his face just waiting for the goal to be announced.

Game 4 the Rangers beat Florida 3-2 on Gretzky's awesome hat trick in one period. Game five went back to Florida and the Rangers won in OT again by Tikannen off a deflected slap shot (I was at that game, it was awesome).

The second round was awesome, and the series turned towards our favor when Messier creamed Doug Gilmour. Adam Graves' wraparound OT winner in New Jersey in game 5 won the series.

Unfortunately, we kept losing key defensive players to injuries, such as Sundstrom, Flatley, Berg, etc. By the time we got to the Eastern COnference Finals against Philadelphia, we were too banged up to withstand their offense. We also lost Leetch in that series from a check by Trent Klatt. Lindros' game-winner with 6 seconds left in game 4 at MSG put them up 3-1 heading home, and they finished the series in game 5.

I always said that if we hadn't lost so many good defensive players, we would have been able to hang with Philly. BTW, I have all of these games on video if you'd like them.

RangerJoe

Last edited by rangerjoe: 04-21-2007 at 10:38 PM.
rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Perhaps we're thinking of the same series, but didn't Lindros do this during the 97-98 season as well? I remember being at a game at MSG - saturday afternoon FOX game I think - and it was a close game late, Lindros skated up to Richter, knocked the puck out of his glove and shot it in. That really, REALLY frustrated me and that was pretty much the beginning of the end in that horrible season.

I remember the Kovalev pre-game surgery...one of the most surreal moments ever watching a Rangers game. Yet, strangely fascinating.

The Florida series was great. I was at Disneyworld for the first two games and I arrived back in New York at Penn Station (we took Amtrak there) just as Game 3 was starting. I listened to the Gretzky hat trick on a cab stereo and then caught the last goal when I got in the house. Then the exciting Game 4 and then when Tik scored in Game 5, I was jumping up and down.

The Devils series was an exciting one. I was at Game 3, the Rangers were up 3-2 but the Devils tied it on a goal by....Randy McKay I think? But it was disallowed because he was in the crease. We won the game and then I watched Adam Graves send the Devils home during Mother's Day dinner at my grandmother's house. My dad and I were going nuts as everyone else looked at us strangely.

Then the Flyers series came. I had such high hopes for this team..I was ready for a Rangers/Avalanche Cup Finals..but the injuries kicked it..it was pathetic. Calling all sorts of guys up from Hartford, I think Bill Berg was on our top pairing on defense if I remember right...and the Lindros 6 seconds remaining goal still gives me nightmares.

Still, it was a great - and unexpected - run and I will always remember it. And it's even more fun to look back on it now since we are actually in the Playoffs.

Last edited by danno2530: 04-21-2007 at 11:47 PM.
danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
skymachine

The '97 playoff run had so many glorious moments...but at the same token there were some devastating ones. Game 4 against the Flyers was the day I officially decided Lindros was my most hated player in the league. I've always hated him...but that goal with what, 7, 6 seconds left was heartbreaking. Especially after the Rangers turned that game around and worked so hard to tie it 2-2 in the 3rd. That was probably the hardest loss ever to swallow watching as a young Ranger fan. A win couldve turned the series around. Yet, I was only 10 or 11 at the time but I was so into the team.

The Devils series was great. The Devs did get screwed out of a few goals (crease rule) but nonetheless Richter won the series. I believe he allowed 5 goals in the 5 games...including 2 shutouts. The Graves goal in game 5 was amazing too.

I also remember...the Rangers always wore their Liberty jerseys for every road game that playoff, except game 1 in Florida when they got shutout.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I was young too, the things I remember was the Tikkanen goal and the Greztky hattrick vs florida. I vagulely remember playing the flyers.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Choice

I be overly optimistic here.

I was 13 I think and I remember the 97 pretty well, I was at the Tikkanen reviewed OT (kinda like Cullens) goal against Florida and I'll always remember that. It was good times but that team was the remnants of the 94 run plus Gretzky so it was a team on the downswing. This years team is hopefully a team on the upswing, despite Jagr and co's age, a lot of these players have their primes ahead of them (Avery, Tyutin, Girardi, Prucha, Callahan) plus the solid prospect pool.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:58 AM
The Thomas J.*

No one was expecting the Rangers to get out of the 1st round, The Rangers were slow & lumbering, outside of Grtezky & messier they did not have a ture scoring Threat Luc Robatie was never the player he was in LA when he was here.

The Rangers played a style of game that just forced other teams to slow down & play down to the Rangers, Also it did not hurt that each & everytime a call went against the Rangers Messier & Gretzky were able to use there "power" with the Refs to even things out. Let us not forget the Crease rule.

One of the main reasons for our sucess & failure was the Checking line of Eastwood, Berg & flatly, there was awesome, They took on all comers, killed Pens, ate up alot of minutes against opposing teams top lines & allowed Mess & Gretz to rest up. When Eastwood & Flatly became Injured it killed us in the third round, Losing Karpotsov when his mother died & Leetch's Wrist Injury against the Devils, That injury bothered him for a year after that series. His wrist was mashed into the boards, he was unable to shoot the puck with any power & was taking Cortazone shots inbetween periods, before & after each game.

The greatest moments from those 3 rounds, Gretzkys Hat tricks Richters shuts outs, My personal favorite was when Messier leveled Doug Gilmour with a cross check to the head after a Whistle & just skated away, It was awesome. The saddest moment was watching Messier get owned by Lindros.

That basically sums it up.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 08:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What was so much fun was it was really unexpected. They beat the reigning Eastern Conference champs (Florida) in the first round and then beat the Devils in round two. They ran intoa buzzsaw of a Flyer team in the finals and didn't have anything left.

04-22-2007, 08:35 AM
JerseyRangers

Yep remember it well. The first two rounds were great. Gretz against Florida, Richter with a couple shutouts and one of my favorite Mess moments when he crosscheck Gilmour in the face (I still remember Gilmour on the bench picking out pieces of black tape off his teath -- classic Mess). Of course thats also the series where the Dev's knocked out Sundstrom with a slash and numerous other stick fouls. To this day I remember how much I hated that Devs team. Like others have mentioned this was a really worn down and beat up team by the time we reached Philly. The E-Train was at his best -- he owned Mess and the Rangers. This is one series where our lack of depth in the minor league really hurt us -- although with as many players as we had go down not too many teams could have fought through that. Anyway, up until the last two seasons that was one of the last times I could say I was really proud to be a Rangers fans. The organization went into a death spiral after that!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 09:22 AM
bubba5

Also, I believe Leetch was playing with a very bad injury in the Flyers seriers, I think it was a shoulder injury. I remember one game where the Flyers knew he had the injury, and on a Rangers PP, the Flyers would not go over to Leetch's point because they knew he could not shoot, so they covered everyone else down low and the other point. So Leetch had the puck at one time for like 15-20 seconds at the point no-one to pass to, and finally decided to shot. The puck barely left his stick and went toward the corner.

We definitly were beat up in that series, I mean Kenny G was playing major minutes for us. If we had half the amount of injuries that we had, who knows what would have happened.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Stevedude530

Any videos of the '97 playoff run. Please tell me you have some Conf. Final glow puck footage with FOX's shoddy coverage.

Stevedude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 09:47 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
97 was awesome. Like everyone has said, two great series wins in the first and second rounds followed by a decimated Rangers team losing to the Flyers. Gretzky, Tikkanen and Richter were amazing that spring. It was just so frustrating towards the end because the Rangers had lost so many men to injuries.

Last edited by NYR94: 04-22-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: forgot Tik :)
NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:25 AM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Thanks for all the answers you guys had given me on the Rangers 97 playoffs. Now lets say the Rangers were all the way healthy before facing Philadelphia and beat the Flyers in the Conference finals. How many games do you think could have realistically gotten against the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals before losing?

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
I remember our run that year fairly well.. I was only 12 at that time... i remember Tik's goal that went under review... he was the only one in the area who thought it went it... Richter had this look on this face while he was smiling and talking to him that is just priceless... Tik is trying to describe how it happened and Mike is looking at him like he's nuts.....

I remember the Philly series fairly well.. i remember listening to game 3 or 4 on the radio.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
Thanks for all the answers you guys had given me on the Rangers 97 playoffs. Now lets say the Rangers were all the way healthy before facing Philadelphia and beat the Flyers in the Conference finals. How many games do you think could have realistically gotten against the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals before losing?
I don't think anyone could have beaten the Detroit team that year, or the following year, they swept the finals both times.... and even if we had healthy players, AND got past Philly, I think we would have gone the same way, 4 and out...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 11:14 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedude530 View Post
Any videos of the '97 playoff run. Please tell me you have some Conf. Final glow puck footage with FOX's shoddy coverage.
yeah, i'd love to get a solid flashback video going too..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:13 PM
jgrangers2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedude530 View Post
I loved those robots that would always kick the crap out of each other after someone scored. I was 9 and probably thought that was the greatest thing ever.

As for the playoffs, as I said, I was only 9 and only remember a few things. First off, I was at the game against Florida where Gretzky scored his hat trick, that was an awesome game to be at just watching him truly "turn back the clock" as Sam put it. It was like he had suddenly just gone back to the 1980's and put on an Oiler uniform again. I remember the Tikannen overtime goal just because he knew it went in immediately and seemed like the only one in the entire world.

In the second round, I remember all the goals taken away from the Devils and the Messier cross check on Gilmour. That was just classic Mess right there.

jgrangers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangers2 View Post
I loved those robots that would always kick the crap out of each other after someone scored. I was 9 and probably thought that was the greatest thing ever.
lol. That was indeed awesome.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:51 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
No one was expecting the Rangers to get out of the 1st round, The Rangers were slow & lumbering, outside of Grtezky & messier they did not have a ture scoring Threat Luc Robatie was never the player he was in LA when he was here.

The Rangers played a style of game that just forced other teams to slow down & play down to the Rangers, Also it did not hurt that each & everytime a call went against the Rangers Messier & Gretzky were able to use there "power" with the Refs to even things out. Let us not forget the Crease rule.

One of the main reasons for our sucess & failure was the Checking line of Eastwood, Berg & flatly, there was awesome, They took on all comers, killed Pens, ate up alot of minutes against opposing teams top lines & allowed Mess & Gretz to rest up. When Eastwood & Flatly became Injured it killed us in the third round, Losing Karpotsov when his mother died & Leetch's Wrist Injury against the Devils, That injury bothered him for a year after that series. His wrist was mashed into the boards, he was unable to shoot the puck with any power & was taking Cortazone shots inbetween periods, before & after each game.

The greatest moments from those 3 rounds, Gretzkys Hat tricks Richters shuts outs, My personal favorite was when Messier leveled Doug Gilmour with a cross check to the head after a Whistle & just skated away, It was awesome. The saddest moment was watching Messier get owned by Lindros.

That basically sums it up.

I forgot to mention how good russ Courtnall was in that series as well.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 05:07 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
Not sure even healthy we could have taken the Flyers. They were just too physical and ended up pounding the crap outta us. We didn't have enough size to counter them but I believe we would have given them a run for their money if we were healthy. As to the Wings not even a healthy Rangers team competes with those guys. That 97 team was just great!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Not sure even healthy we could have taken the Flyers. They were just too physical and ended up pounding the crap outta us. We didn't have enough size to counter them but I believe we would have given them a run for their money if we were healthy. As to the Wings not even a healthy Rangers team competes with those guys. That 97 team was just great!

Not sure I agree, the Flyers were a one line team with questionable goaltending that was exposed in a sweep by the Redwings. If the Rangers weren't so banged up I have no doubt we could have atleast made the series more interesting if not win it.