HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Re-Sign Forward Trent Whitfield

Old
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
SIU LAW

vCash: 500
Blues Re-Sign Forward Trent Whitfield

According to a press release issued by the Blues (and should be up on the website any minute), the Blues have re-signed Trent Whitfield. What makes this move somewhat noteworthy is Whitfield had grown unhappy being stuck in the minors this past year, and was on record as saying such. I wonder if the Blues have plans for him on the main roster? To be quite honest, I thought he was done with the organization.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
HarmonyOfDissonance

Send a message via AIM to HarmonyOfDissonance
I don't see the room. I mean Whitfield is decent. But i don't see the room for him.

HarmonyOfDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

yeah.....unexpected signing.....but a clear depth move until we start locating more centers. it's tough to let guys go when you have no guarantee at a suitable replacement. But if the Blues are relying on Trent to be more than an emergency call up for the parent-club, then it's going to be another long season next year.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:50 PM
fan in oregon

I think this a totally dumb move. all whitfield is gonna due is take up space which
could have been used to develop actual players for the blues rather than players
for the rivermen.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:57 PM
StLooFrenchy

Alright! Another undersized forward!

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
barnburner

Certainly, considering his outburst - it's a very suprising move - both on his, and the Blues part.

Actually, I agreed with him that he sort of got the shaft last year. I think Peoria got stuck shorthanded because of the defections and injuries, and he got stuck there as a result.
Maybe we are looking at someone like Ryan Johnson getting thrown into a deal with Backman, picks, etc., for a scorer?
Whitfield provides many of the same qualities as RJ, energy, forechecking, penalty killing, and probably provides more offensive ability.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
Certainly, considering his outburst - it's a very suprising move - both on his, and the Blues part.

Actually, I agreed with him that he sort of got the shaft last year. I think Peoria got stuck shorthanded because of the defections and injuries, and he got stuck there as a result.
Maybe we are looking at someone like Ryan Johnson getting thrown into a deal with Backman, picks, etc., for a scorer?
Whitfield provides many of the same qualities as RJ, energy, forechecking, penalty killing, and probably provides more offensive ability.
True, but let's face it, who doesn't?

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Trouble

OMG!! I am so glad the Blues locked this key piece up for at least another year. Now, if only we can get Terry Yake, Jeff Hoggan, and Jeff Heerema to sign multiyear deals with the club nothing will stand in our way to the cup!

Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:15 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
I think this a totally dumb move. all whitfield is gonna due is take up space which
could have been used to develop actual players for the blues rather than players
for the rivermen.
Even if Whitfield stays in Peoria .... You cannot have a total team full of "prospects" there. You have to have a few vets to set the example, and provide leadership.
Our minor league system is not so awash with great prospects that any of them are going to be displaced by Whitfield.
If only it were so...

Old
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
SIU LAW

Some comment on the blog.

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:20 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
OMG!! I am so glad the Blues locked this key piece up for at least another year. Now, if only we can get Terry Yake, Jeff Hoggan, and Jeff Heerema to sign multiyear deals with the club nothing will stand in our way to the cup!
Why the sarcasm? Did the Blues, or anybody else, promote this signing as somthing really significant, or push the idea that this guy was going to make a big impact on the Blues?
Teams make minor deals and signings all the time. It takes a lot of players to staff a team and it's minor league club(s).
I don't think Davidson signed Whitfield with the idea of his carrying us to the Cup, nor did he think that anyone else would think so either.
It is what it is.

Old
04-24-2007, 07:20 PM
execwrite

There's your big off-season free agent signing boys.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
There's your big off-season free agent signing boys.
Crap ... we'll have to re-open the book on the "Trent Whitfield" era in Blues history.

04-24-2007, 08:17 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Crap ... we'll have to re-open the book on the "Trent Whitfield" era in Blues history.

True, but think about the excitement on the night when they retire his jersey.

Old
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
True, but think about the excitement on the night when they retire his jersey.
I can't wait until the Blues win the Cup, and our captain gets the Cup from Bettman and hands it to Whitfield and says, "THIS IS FOR YOU!" and Whitfield gets to skate the Cup first, putting the final touches on an illustrious career.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
Why the sarcasm? Did the Blues, or anybody else, promote this signing as somthing really significant, or push the idea that this guy was going to make a big impact on the Blues?

Teams make minor deals and signings all the time. It takes a lot of players to staff a team and it's minor league club(s).

I don't think Davidson signed Whitfield with the idea of his carrying us to the Cup, nor did he think that anyone else would think so either.

It is what it is.
Truer words were never spoken, sir...

Someone else said that you have to have veterans on the minor-league club to show the prospects the way. That, IMO, is exactly what this signing is for.

Either that, or as someone else suggested, someone with whom the Blues are talking trade has indicated that they want Ryan Johnson or someone of that ilk in the deal, and the Blues re-signed Whitfield to take the place of the traded player.

I know that everyone's antsy, on pins and needles waiting for the playoffs to end and for the draft and free-agent signing period to get rolling, but making a mountain out of a molehill like this just makes us look like Hoosiers...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Irish Blues

I'll agree, this isn't the end of the world ... but as SIU pointed out, it's curious that Whitfield openly complained about being in Peoria - but turrns around and re-upped.

However, I had closed the book on the "Trent Whitfield" era based on his prior comments.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
IMO the two likeliest explanations are

1) that Whitfield was speaking against the Blues' keeping him in the minors in a flash of emotion that has since calmed - he's been promised the first callup spot or that he'll be traded to another organization if there's no room and either way recognizes the wisdom of being under contract; or

2) maybe Drake has privately told management he's ready to move into another role with the Blues.

Regardless, it is not a big deal. 4th liners/AHLers are not anywhere near the top dilemma facing this club nor do their contracts hamper the organization to any real degree.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 07:45 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Truer words were never spoken, sir...

Someone else said that you have to have veterans on the minor-league club to show the prospects the way. That, IMO, is exactly what this signing is for.

Either that, or as someone else suggested, someone with whom the Blues are talking trade has indicated that they want Ryan Johnson or someone of that ilk in the deal, and the Blues re-signed Whitfield to take the place of the traded player.

I know that everyone's antsy, on pins and needles waiting for the playoffs to end and for the draft and free-agent signing period to get rolling, but making a mountain out of a molehill like this just makes us look like Hoosiers...

P_B

Someone has misplaced thier sense of humor.

Old
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
Someone has misplaced thier sense of humor.
Guilty as charged. I was having sort of a bad day yesterday. Much better now, though.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
It is what it is.
I realize this is primarily a move for Peoria and will probably have minimal impact at best on the big club. I could not resist an easy albeit lame joke.

Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 10:43 AM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I realize this is primarily a move for Peoria and will probably have minimal impact at best on the big club. I could not resist an easy albeit lame joke.
I guess I understood your post to be a slam at the Blues managment, and probably over-reacted.
Sorry.