Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalies next year?

Old
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
Goalies next year?

Who do you guys think you'll have in nets next season?

Backstrom as starter and Harding as back-up?
Backstrom and Fernandez?
Fernandez and Harding?
UFA maybe?

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
vitogor

No on the UFA.

I think the majority of Wild fans here will agree that we hope for a Backstrom/Harding tandem. Even Lemaire made it very clear that he wants Backstrom back. That would mean trading Manny and his 4.33 cap hit, which could be tough in the salary cap world.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
LamborGREENie

As I previously said and posted in my article, the Wild has to deal Fernandez:

1) To loosen up the cap room.
2) To give Backstrom the OK, to tell him he has no opposition and is the clear no.1.

If Risenbrough can get a hold of a team who wants Fernandez, do not expect a blockbuster, but a deal for a pick, 1st or 2nd, because we want to get nothing in return to have the most cap room available.

Prediction:

1) Niklas Backstrom
2) Josh Harding/UFA

UFA: Brian Boucher, Jussi Markkanen, Mathieu Garon or even Mike Dunham.

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

We also got Westblom coming in and Kopriva still under contract.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
ReliEnt

i dont think moving manny will be that hard at all. there are a lot of teams looking for goalies so someone will trade for him only prob is what will the other team give up. if the asking price is good there should be no problem.

ReliEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:52 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 247
I guess teams like Tampa Bay might be interested by Fernandez

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 02:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
I guess teams like Tampa Bay might be interested by Fernandez
No to Tampa...

Old
05-04-2007, 03:20 AM
StalkingButler

Send a message via AIM to StalkingButler Send a message via MSN to StalkingButler
Manny for future considerations or a late draft pick is probably gonna be the logical solution.. if not a clear cut. Not sure how many teams want to take a chance on an injury prone goaltender/questionable number one (after this season's results) making over 4 mil. Personally.. I think he could be a number one somewhere else if he can take the grind of being an everyday goalie.. when he splits time however, he's been much more effective.

StalkingButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Eagle20

Florida is in need of a number one and talk around there board shows some interest in Manny.

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Zelepukin Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkingButler View Post
Manny for future considerations or a late draft pick is probably gonna be the logical solution.. if not a clear cut. Not sure how many teams want to take a chance on an injury prone goaltender/questionable number one (after this season's results) making over 4 mil. Personally.. I think he could be a number one somewhere else if he can take the grind of being an everyday goalie.. when he splits time however, he's been much more effective.
I think you're exactly right. Given his contract, it's unrealistic to hope for a big return. Of course, some teams could be a little hesitant to persue Manny because
of the old "is it Manny or the 'system'?" (Roloson's dismal season didn't help, despite his solid run in the playoffs last year.)

It's hard to guage how much interest there will be. A lot probably depends on how willing teams like SJ, Dallas (Smith) and even the Rangers (Montoya) are to part with goalies, along with what several of the veterans (Belfour, Joseph, Hasek) do or are asking for if they decide to return for another season.

Should be a fun offseason.

Zelepukin Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Street Hawk

Teams in need of goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelepukin Lives View Post
I think you're exactly right. Given his contract, it's unrealistic to hope for a big return. Of course, some teams could be a little hesitant to persue Manny because
of the old "is it Manny or the 'system'?" (Roloson's dismal season didn't help, despite his solid run in the playoffs last year.)

It's hard to guage how much interest there will be. A lot probably depends on how willing teams like SJ, Dallas (Smith) and even the Rangers (Montoya) are to part with goalies, along with what several of the veterans (Belfour, Joseph, Hasek) do or are asking for if they decide to return for another season.

As you mentioned, teams with 2 very good goalies, like SJ, Dallas, Nashville, New York could move one to improve their team, and Anaheim has to re-sign Giguere and if they do, expect them to deal Bryzgalov. If you throw Minny and Fernandez into the mix, the best option is obviously Toskala, then Bryzgalov, then Mason because of their contract. Toskala, wil cost the most, then Bryz because he's won a couple of rounds in the playoffs, then Mason. All are on favorable contracts, but within a year will be up for a big raise if they are new #1 goalies next season. If you're a younger team, like Florida/Washington/Phoenix, you probably want Smith to grow with your team.

Fernandez's 4 plus million dollar contract with be a stumbling block, plus his history of back issues. Then there's the system or ability question. He's been to the playoffs with the Wild twice, both times sharing the load with Roloson/Backstrom. So, can he backstop a team by himself to the playoffs? You would expect a 4.3 million dollar goalie to do so.

If you look at which teams need a #1 goalie, it would be:

LA - but, given they are tied to Cloutier's 3.1 million per season over the next 2 years, I don't think they can afford a 4 million dollar goalie. Probably looking to take a chance on a guy, ala Minny did with Backstrom, and hope he can step up if Cloutier falters.
Phoenix - time is up on Joseph. Coyotes have Tellqvist and LeNeveu and I don't think that's goaltending that can get a team to the playoffs. Whether they want Fernandez is question.
Columbus - Norrena and Leclaire. They definately need to upgrade if they want to make the playoffs next season. Have the young talent to get one of the better goalies. However, it seems all of the capable backups who could be #1's are all from the West, so it would have to be a great package to convince a team to make a move, given that no one wants to repeat the Kipper situation again.
Detroit - depends if Hasek returns next season.
Toronto - commited salary to Raycroft, so I can't see them going after Fernandez
Boston - both Toivenen and Thomas are signed, so they pretty much have to go with them.
Florida - have only Auld, and they need to get a goalie. If I'm a Florida fan, I'd want Toskala first and would be prepared to part with a Weiss, Olesz, Stewart, Frolik, etc. to get one of Toskala, Smith, Mason, Bryzgalov. Anyone but, JBo and Horton.
Tampa Bay - owner doesn't want to increase payroll and have Denis under contract for 2 more years, so there's no fit there.

Minny's ability to move Manny depends on what other teams are asking for their backups. If those teams can make a fair trade, Manny is going to sit in Minny. To move Manny, Minny may have to take back a player they don't want, mainly to lesser the burden of Manny's contract.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 06:53 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Backstrom/Harding

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThing24 View Post
Prediction:

1) Niklas Backstrom
2) Josh Harding/UFA

UFA: Brian Boucher, Jussi Markkanen, Mathieu Garon or even Mike Dunham.
Huh? Why would the Wild even consider giving up on Harding for 3 guys who are not NHL caliber or one long past his expiration date? Harding is young and good.
Quote:

Just to step in and defend a former Wild player ... Edmonton's crappy season didn't have as much to do with Roloson as it had to do with the Oil's lack of defense in front of him. Given decent defensive coverage, Rollie's solid.

-----

I think that Risebrough will work some kind of deal for Manny. Next season we'll see Backstrom backed up by Harding.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
flair

As stated earlier in this thread, there is a lot of quality goalies that will be available in the following months. This will greatly reduce the Wild's chances of getting anything of quality for Fernandez. I wonder if the Wild will continue with a Fernandez/Backtrom combo and leave Harding in the minors for another season.

flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
hornet

I think its obvious we trade Manny. to be frank, he really faded this year and Both goales, backstrom and Harding both outplayed him. Also we've got to free up some cash to sign backstrom before he hits the market

hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by flair View Post
As stated earlier in this thread, there is a lot of quality goalies that will be available in the following months. This will greatly reduce the Wild's chances of getting anything of quality for Fernandez. I wonder if the Wild will continue with a Fernandez/Backtrom combo and leave Harding in the minors for another season.
To be honest, I don't expect anything of quality for Fernandez at this point. I don't think the Wild can realistically ask for much because they don't have much power in this situation.

I also would rather see Harding in the NHL at this point. He's ready to be the full time backup, so I don't think they can leave him in Houston.

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 07:10 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Do you think we'll lose a 1st rounder or a quality player simply to get rid of Fernandez?

Old
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
HoustonHockeyNut

Quote:

I disagree that Roloson had a dismal season in Edmonton. .909 save percentage and 2.75 GAA playing for one of the worst teams in the league which at one point had called up the very last defenseman in their entire system and still needed a minor-league forward to play defense honestly doesn't sound that bad to me. (League average sv % was .905 and average gaa was 2.77) A lot of things were dismal in Edmonton this year; Roloson wasn't one of them.

Anyway, I think a deal for Manny is definitely possible. An even-value trade for Manny will be tough to find. Another year in the A for Harding might even be counterproductive. There's not much more he can do there (speaking of good goalies playing on terrible teams)

Here's a question: assuming these were the only 2 options, would you rather unload Manny for a similarly priced free agent castaway forward or d-man from another team, or clear up the cap room but be forced to deal away a high pick or a prospect to get it done?

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 04:46 AM
BlueBaron

Well its obviosly true you Minn guys know hockey like Canadians. Alot of smart comments here, dont go to the Leaf board, it will numb your mind (Blues fan stranded in TO). StreetHawk, I disagree with one of your comments, the Boston Gm has admitted he needs a goaltender upgrade, Thomas will be bought out or sent down and they will sign a decent goalie. Mad Hatter may be right on the mark, you'd have to give up a pick and take back a bum to move Manny. I think a buy out is a very real possiblity because I know you guys like your draft picks, and as you say Harding in the minors is silly, I think thats your best bet, Backstrom played damn well last year but not long enough to merit a crazy contract so the buyout is manageable.Another possiblility is Manny in the minors, his salery doesnt go against the cap (a la NJ) and he can be called up for the playoffs if needed. I know you guys sell out heavy so I am assuming the team could afford a $4 mill minor guy if it had to.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:59 AM
ceber

Last night Lou Nanne said on the radio that he didn't think they'd have trouble moving Manny. He expected there would be three or four teams interested, and that meant that even though they would know the Wild want to move him, they'd still couldn't hold us over a barrel. Who knows, Lou could be wrong. He also said that Backstrom was pleased with the organization and his agent has a good relationship with Risebrough, so Lou didn't expect any trouble working out a deal with Backstrom.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Street Hawk

Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Well its obviosly true you Minn guys know hockey like Canadians. Alot of smart comments here, dont go to the Leaf board, it will numb your mind (Blues fan stranded in TO). StreetHawk, I disagree with one of your comments, the Boston Gm has admitted he needs a goaltender upgrade, Thomas will be bought out or sent down and they will sign a decent goalie. Mad Hatter may be right on the mark, you'd have to give up a pick and take back a bum to move Manny. I think a buy out is a very real possiblity because I know you guys like your draft picks, and as you say Harding in the minors is silly, I think thats your best bet, Backstrom played damn well last year but not long enough to merit a crazy contract so the buyout is manageable.Another possiblility is Manny in the minors, his salery doesnt go against the cap (a la NJ) and he can be called up for the playoffs if needed. I know you guys sell out heavy so I am assuming the team could afford a $4 mill minor guy if it had to.
With Thomas and Toivenen signed, it's a natural that they would be the starting duo, but if the Boston GM wants to upgrade, he certainly can. Contract for contract would mean Glen Murray, but I believe he's only got 1 year left on his deal. If I was the Boston GM, however, Manny wouldn't be one of the guys I'd be looking at.

First would be Toskala. I know he'd cost me assets, but he's shown in the past 2 years he's #1 material.
Second would be Bryzgalov. Not a tonne of regular season games, but has played well in the playoffs the past 2 years.
Third, Chris Mason. Very good regular season this past year.
Fourth would be Mike Smith, a young guy you can take a shot with. But, the B's already have 2 young goalies in Toivenen and Rask, so probably not best to add another to the mix.
All 3 would be costly in terms of assets, but you're better off giving up assets and securing the most important position on the team. As LA showed, over the past several years, if you go the cheap route, ie. Cechmanek, Potvin, Cloutier, you're going to suffer.

I don't put Manny that high simply because of his back injuries and the fact that during his time in Minny, I haven't seen him carry a big workload. He's always had a very good backup/someone to split time with. At over 4 million per season, I expect my #1 goalie to be able to play 55-60 games.

Old
05-12-2007, 01:30 AM
BlueBaron

Yes, Toskala looks pretty good, and he's cheap also, 1.7 mil next year I think. Not sure what the sharks are expecting for him.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Street Hawk

A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Yes, Toskala looks pretty good, and he's cheap also, 1.7 mil next year I think. Not sure what the sharks are expecting for him.
I'd expect they would want a young NHL player. As well, given that they traded Kipper to Calgary, which basically turned the Flames from a non-playoff team to a consistent playoff team the past 3 NHL seasons, the Sharks aren't looking to move him to the West unless it's an offer that blows them away. But, given that, Toskala is a UFA in 2008, so they might not have a choice but to move him to a western team, but the return would have to be great.

I don't think the Sharks are looking to get back more than $2 million in salary. They'd want a young player who has NHL experience.

Old
05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
ceber

Spector on Manny (commenting on a PP article):
Quote:
Spector's Note: Yes, there will be experienced goalies available, but of those Murphy noted, half won't be enticing to teams seeking a goalie upgrade. Nobody'll touch Gerber and Denis at their current salaries and level of play this season, Joseph is well past his prime and the Wings will probably re-sign Hasek after his strong play this season. Giguere's salary demands will be higher than Fernandez's current salary. Only Vesa Toskala is more affordable and of equal value in terms of performance. The Wild won't have much trouble finding suitors for Fernandez.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote