HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

What would you say to the Big E in DC?

Old
04-24-2007, 01:51 PM
malyk

vCash: 500
What would you say to the Big E in DC?

Ok, I know this sounds crazy, but bear with me for a minute.

Eric Lindros is a UFA this year. Last years salary was $1.5ish. He only played 49 games last year and had 5 goals, 21 assists, 26 points. He's 34. And he has all kinds of baggage and potential injury problems.

But I was watching him play int he dallas/vancouver game last night wondering how he would fit in a Caps uniform next season.

I've never been a huge fan of his since his "I wont play in Quebec" ********, but the caps probably need a short term option as a first/second line center. It would be intriguing to see how Lindros performed paired with guys like Ovie and Fehr on the top line. Then when backstrom matures a little he can drop down to playing between Semin and Clark. It would add a little more physical presence to the caps offense and he shown that he can put up really good numbers if he stays healthy (a big if).

The bonus is that the contract number isn't going to be huge and so the risk is minimal. Hell, worse comes to worse he's probably good trade bait come February to teams looking to beef up for the postseason run (again if he's healthy).

I'm not sold on the idea by any stretch, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thought of the idea.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
thanks, but no thanks.

Tomppav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
Ok, I know this sounds crazy, but bear with me for a minute.

Eric Lindros is a UFA this year. Last years salary was $1.5ish. He only played 49 games last year and had 5 goals, 21 assists, 26 points. He's 34. And he has all kinds of baggage and potential injury problems.

But I was watching him play int he dallas/vancouver game last night wondering how he would fit in a Caps uniform next season.

I've never been a huge fan of his since his "I wont play in Quebec" ********, but the caps probably need a short term option as a first/second line center. It would be intriguing to see how Lindros performed paired with guys like Ovie and Fehr on the top line. Then when backstrom matures a little he can drop down to playing between Semin and Clark. It would add a little more physical presence to the caps offense and he shown that he can put up really good numbers if he stays healthy (a big if).

The bonus is that the contract number isn't going to be huge and so the risk is minimal. Hell, worse comes to worse he's probably good trade bait come February to teams looking to beef up for the postseason run (again if he's healthy).

I'm not sold on the idea by any stretch, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thought of the idea.
too many reasons to say no. health, production, attitude, etc. i think there are dozens of options i'd try before i got to him.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
For some reason I can imagine he will be one of those ex-nhl all stars that will only sign for teams that will likely challenge for the cup. I could be wrong. He did look good in the game last night though with all the injuries overall I would say pass, IMO.

04-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Poke06

I think the 1 - 1.5 mil could be put to better use elsewhere. Just too much of a risk.

Poke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Mothra

I honestly dont see what he would bring to this team.....

They need 2 scoring line centers, Im ok with Backstrom being penciled in as one of them....but the other needs to be a sure thing, a bonafide topline center. Lindros hasnt been that in ages. I guess he could play on the right side somewhere, but with the baggage he brings (that includes health) I say no way

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Devil Dancer

Nah. The E-Train hasn't had a really strong season since 01-02, and he hasn't played 50 games in a season since 02-03.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

No.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I honestly dont see what he would bring to this team.....

They need 2 scoring line centers, Im ok with Backstrom being penciled in as one of them....but the other needs to be a sure thing, a bonafide topline center. Lindros hasnt been that in ages. I guess he could play on the right side somewhere, but with the baggage he brings (that includes health) I say no way
Sure the other center needs to be a top line center. But I'm doubtful that the caps will be able to lure one of those guys here. They may prove me wrong, and I hope the do, but it just doesn't seem very likely to me.

Instead I think we'll end up looking at second (or third) tier guys that have some potential to help out. Guys like Josef Stumpel or Eric Belanger. Or the Big E. Guys that get passed over for top spots on the power teams but who, when compared to the caps lineup, come out near the top of the heap.

I'd love Briere, Gomez, or Drury, but they are going to have 15 other offers to consider and not many of them will be with poor performing teams.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Foy

Several years ago when asked about signing Lindross, a member of management said they weren't interested in bringing in a player that was one hit away from being done. I don't think much has changed in his career since then, except that he's got more injury problems than just his head now.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Roccoman

count me in with the "NO" chorus - we need a player on the upswing or at least at close to their peak...

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
too many reasons to say no. health, production, attitude, etc. i think there are dozens of options i'd try before i got to him.
I'll guarantee you that what ever team signs Lindros will have no issue with his attitude.

Old
04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
The Viking Fury

I'd say "come again?" Then I'd laugh because I said "come."

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Sure the other center needs to be a top line center. But I'm doubtful that the caps will be able to lure one of those guys here. They may prove me wrong, and I hope the do, but it just doesn't seem very likely to me.

Instead I think we'll end up looking at second (or third) tier guys that have some potential to help out. Guys like Josef Stumpel or Eric Belanger. Or the Big E. Guys that get passed over for top spots on the power teams but who, when compared to the caps lineup, come out near the top of the heap.

I'd love Briere, Gomez, or Drury, but they are going to have 15 other offers to consider and not many of them will be with poor performing teams.
Caps have tons of money and cap space, DC is a major city and a great city to live in, especially as a millionaire athlete. They have what could be a good team, with a superstar player sure to boost your numbers, brand new practice facility.....well over 90% of the time money talks (IMO), so....if they cant bring in top players they are in the wrong business

Old
04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMurp View Post
count me in with the "NO" chorus - we need a player on the upswing or at least at close to their peak...
exactly.....I think there needs to be at least 1 player brought in that fits that description.....a player you think of as having for 4-6 years (regardless of their current contract). A player that helps define the face/core of this team....I can live with a couple stop-gap sort of players (good ones)....but they need to bring in a significant piece IMO

Old
04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Jasper17

Quote:

I agree with most of what you have said.

I think you are 100% right to question the Caps ability to lure a top tier free agent as they have never done so in the past.

But i disagree that they will settle for guys like Lindros or Belanger, at least not unless they have no other choice.

The Caps have said they will look to make trades before they look to the free agent market. And that to me says that they want to add talent but don't think they can compete in free agency. I expect them to try and make a trade in order to bring in a top 6 center. If they can't do that they will sign the best player they can get, but that isn't going to be an elite player.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
KenHiczkakenbalz

I'd say, "Hey, Eric! Imagine seeing you here of all people!"

KenHiczkakenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
What about Yashin? for a 2nd round pick and a prospect for a guy who has chemistry with Ovechkin?....just a thought and from what they have been talkin on the Isles board

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Langway
Intangibles

No one is going to take Yashin off the Isles' hands. Not unless they're throwing Okposo into the deal and that's not going to happen. Their only realistic option is buying the guy out at this point and that's not a great option...just the least worst option.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
No one is going to take Yashin off the Isles' hands. Not unless they're throwing Okposo into the deal and that's not going to happen. Their only realistic option is buying the guy out at this point and that's not a great option...just the least worst option.
yea, why anyone would think they could actually get any kind of value for Yashin is amazing to me. There is a hell of a lot more you can do with 26.5 million over the next 4 years than spend it on a heartless pu$$y like Alexie Yashin.

I would rather have signed Zubrus to a 4 year 26.5 million dollar deal than Yashin, and I have made quite clear my thoughts on Zubrus. But he has only scored 6 points less than Yashin over the last 3 NHL season's, has just as much if not more chemistry with Ovechkin, and isn't a high maintenance pu$$y who doesn't show up in the playoffs.

Last edited by Jasper17: 04-24-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 01:51 AM
txpd

Quote:

Just thinking about it for a moment....the public relations/sales disaster of saying this offseason will be different and that important pieces will be added and then adding a Richard Zednik level forward as the first line center would fatal. That is what you are doing if you sign Lindros.

If what you are saying is the BEST, Leonsis and company are capable of attracting is a $1.5m center to line up next to an MVP candidate LW, then the entire thing is DOOMED(pun intended) from the start.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 12:04 PM
TempusFugit

I would say: "Welcome to DC Mr. Lindros, the Washington Monument is there, museums are there, White House is that way, George Washington Hospital to check on your brain is right there, tickets for Capitals games can be purchased at any Ticketmaster outlet, enjoy your retirement. And BTW if I were you, I'd buy a disguise for when the Flyers play here and bring their fans with them."

I watched him carefully during the Dallas/Vancouver series. He's a SHADOW of his former self. No physicality at all, a gentle giant on skates. Kris Beech would give you as much.

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
I would say: "Welcome to DC Mr. Lindros, the Washington Monument is there, museums are there, White House is that way, George Washington Hospital to check on your brain is right there, tickets for Capitals games can be purchased at any Ticketmaster outlet, enjoy your retirement. And BTW if I were you, I'd buy a disguise for when the Flyers play here and bring their fans with them."

I watched him carefully during the Dallas/Vancouver series. He's a SHADOW of his former self. No physicality at all, a gentle giant on skates. Kris Beech would give you as much.
I believe it was perid 3 of game 5 vs. had a nice closeup of BigE shanking an open net rebound from paint-blank range....would have been the gwg.

Not even if E and Poppa L. paid Ted $1.5M

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It sounds crazy because it is crazy.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
strungout