HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes / Bourret

Old
04-22-2007, 01:02 PM
TSV

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TSV
Dawes / Bourret

with their impressive play since the start of the ahl playoffs (8pts in 3 games each !!), is there room for both of them on the big club for next season ?? because they seem to have a real good chemistry...

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:07 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSV View Post
with their impressive play since the start of the ahl playoffs (8pts in 3 games each !!), is there room for both of them on the big club for next season ?? because they seem to have a real good chemistry...
its possible. Rangers have most of their players re-signed for next season. Questions like will shanny be re-signed, or should bourret replcae hollweg. And the rangers have callahan and prucha already, does a third small guy like dawes going to help or is it just going to get this team pushed around? Training camp is definitely going to be interesting next season.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont see room for dawes to be honest. i expect him to be moved this offseason...i think the rangers are going to be busy this offseason trying to get a legit #1 center who is young.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:09 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i dont see room for dawes to be honest. i expect him to be moved this offseason...i think the rangers are going to be busy this offseason trying to get a legit #1 center who is young.
Nylander is Jagr's ceter, FWIW.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:10 PM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Unless some type of significant trade is made or Shanny isn't brought back, I don't see room for either of them

BroadwayBlueshirt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:11 PM
TheZherdev

lol how about a number 1 center that we plug into the 2nd line until nylander leaves with jagr!

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:13 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
lol how about a number 1 center that we plug into the 2nd line until nylander leaves with jagr!
That's more like it.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 01:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Bourret will play another year in the AHL...Dawes is ready for the NHL but unless injuries occur..he will probably be in the AHL another season. Hopefully we don't move him, he still has so much offensive talent that I wouldn't want to trade away.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:03 PM
philbo

Not looking to get flamed, because I like him too, but maybe Dawes replaces Prucha.

Dawes has been a consistent scorer on every level he's played. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought when Pru was playing in Europe he wasn't known as a scorer. He became one w/ us last season. Maybe it's in our best interest to move Pru when he still is regarded as a goal scorer by many throught the league.

Don't flame me, Pru is a good player but it may be last season was a bit of an over-achievement.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

But is back to back 20+ goal seasons an overachievement??? We all know he would have at least 25 goals this season had his PP time not been greatly diminished during the first 50+ games of the season do the Shanny's presence and Renney's unwillingness to change up the PP units...

Dawes hasn't proved he can do that as this level because he hasn't been given a chance... But without major injuries, there won't be that chance for him to prove it....

So by no means do you move a back to back 20 goal scorer on a 'whim' that Dawes can replicate that...

Stick with what you have and with what works...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:10 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbo View Post
Not looking to get flamed, because I like him too, but maybe Dawes replaces Prucha.

Dawes has been a consistent scorer on every level he's played. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought when Pru was playing in Europe he wasn't known as a scorer. He became one w/ us last season. Maybe it's in our best interest to move Pru when he still is regarded as a goal scorer by many throught the league.

Don't flame me, Pru is a good player but it may be last season was a bit of an over-achievement.
Seeing that Prucha is my favorite player (along with Lundqvist), I'd obviously be adamently against something like this.

But personal feelings aside, I see your point. However, you can't trade Prucha and expect Dawes to come up and be as good, if not a better offensive player. He has to prove that he can do it at this level. With that in mind, the only way Dawes can prove that is if he plays a year or two in the NHL. But you can't trade Prucha and allow Dawes to replace him until Dawes has proven he can play. So, essentially, you really can't trade Prucha yet, IMO, although I acknowledge that it's possible that he's at his peak and his trade value is at it's highest.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbo View Post

So scoring 22 goals in about 75 games, in which about 60 he was paired with hollweg, orr, betts, ortmeyer, etc. That's bad? Prucha is everything. Yea he is small, but he is so agressive, and I would even put him on the PK.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Nylander is Jagr's ceter, FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
That's more like it.
yeah, thats what i was going for, hence the young part. he can take over for nylander when nylander retires or moves on...

Old
04-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Crease

It'll be interesting to see how far Buffalo goes in the playoffs with four lines of scorers. Depending on their success, maybe Sather and Maloney would be willing to have a Dawes - Betts - Bourret fourth line that can get 10-12 minutes a game. (I'm a huge Ortmeyer fan FTW)

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:04 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I do think that at some point a player like Dawes or Prucha will be moved. My rationale behind that opinion is that you cannot have the same type of small player populate your roster. Bourrett is another smallish player who plays bigger so that is a big plus. Bourrett maybe the replacement for Hollweg. A better all round player will obviously more offensive upside. That is why a Montoya & Prucha for Horton maybe more attractive for us now. Or a Montoya and Dawes for Horton.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I do think that at some point a player like Dawes or Prucha will be moved. My rationale behind that opinion is that you cannot have the same type of small player populate your roster. Bourrett is another smallish player who plays bigger so that is a big plus. Bourrett maybe the replacement for Hollweg. A better all round player will obviously more offensive upside. That is why a Montoya & Prucha for Horton maybe more attractive for us now. Or a Montoya and Dawes for Horton.
I've been saying that for two years now. My belief is that this team will not have both Prucha and Dawes as top 6 forwards. Right now, I don't see a spot for Dawes.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
So scoring 22 goals in about 75 games, in which about 60 he was paired with hollweg, orr, betts, ortmeyer, etc. That's bad? Prucha is everything. Yea he is small, but he is so agressive, and I would even put him on the PK.
Don't get me wrong I really like Pru I'm just thinking of this from as an asset perspective. Does the emergance of Cally the last 2 months make moving Pru you initiate if your Sather? Does Dawes stellar (AHL) performance 2 seasons straight make you say we can take the risk.

I understand the passion we all have for Prucha, and it's well earned. I just think to remain a dominant NHL orginization you need true NHL prospects.

To have true NHL prospects you either play lousy for years and draft high for years and then see the fruit bloosom. Or your be a shrewd gm and keep the competition level high throught out your orginization, by making aggressive trades, drafting well, and providing a healthy atmosphere of competition from the ECHL to the NHL level. Keeping your young players motivated and truly believing that if you play hard, you play well, you'll get your chance at the garden will keep the Rangers healthy for the long term not just the next few years.

I'll say it again I personally like Prucha, so I was just speculating about what our options could be. Every spring for the next few years I think we'll be having the same conversation. Maybe next year it's Girardi or Tyutin instead of Pru, cause we'll be saying well we have Stall, Sauer, and Sangunettini on the way. Who do we move?

It's a great position to be in, one that we have waited for quite a while. But I guess it's like that old saying be careful what you wish for.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:15 PM
blue2noise

Prucha needs to put together a consistent season. He's been a late bloomer in both but the question is how much of the late blooming this season is due to the knee surgery?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Captain Monglobster

I'm glad that I do not have to make these kinds of decisions, and judging from recent acquisitions and departures, I feel confident that whatever happens the Rangers will not end up on the short end of the stick.

I think it's almost impossible at this point to not have some sort of prospect 'blockbuster' trade in the next year or two judging from the log jam that is only getting 'worse' (hardly a bad thing to have too much) in this organization.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id do monty + dawes for horton.

Old
04-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSV View Post
I am personally not that high on Dawes, he could defenitly come in and have somewhat of the same impact Callahan have had, but there is also a down side with him on the team, you can't get away from his size, 5'6-8 depending on the source...

That will bring more puzzeling, more disadvantages, more flawed players -- something I think we should work to get away from. If I want to see him up, it should be on a scoring line, not on a 3rd line.

Dawes is one step away from that, if he had one aspect more to his game he could become a star in this league. He doesn't nearly have the same jets as MSL got gooing north to south. In a race from board to board Dawes would get beat by probably everyone else except Shanny in NY. If it were a skill competition thing with cons on the ice Dawes could be one of the fastest. He moves his feet extremely quick. But straight away N-S he isn't very fast. If I hadn't known so much about Dawes I would be allot more optimistic. But Dawes is in perfect shape, he can't improve much there. Dawes doesn't got any real flaws in his stride. Its just that his thick legs doesn't give him enough jump. Nothing odd with that, he doesn't got great speed, not many Joe's would.

I am not expecting him to correct that aspect, but its still possible. However, if he doesn't I think it could keep him out of any substained NHL career all together. There is so many aspects of that little man that you love, his attitude, his workethic, his hands, his nose for the net, his smartness. Though its a uphill battle if you got Nigel's height, not beeing one of the fastest players on the ice makes it really tough. It wouldn't be impossible, but Nigel doesn't either got any play making skills worth mentioning as great or anything close, that could seal the deal.

On Bourret, I really like what I am seeing from him, but I don't think he is that far ahead in his development. You see some aspects of his game in short glimpses only. One more year in the AHL defenitly wouldn't hurt him. Its not like he is dominating all aspects of the game down there. He have been absolutely lethal with the puck in the attacking zone, but he got it in him to challenge a set up D, something he haven't done point in the A at this point, thats something I want to see him do before we promote him.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:40 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
id do monty + dawes for horton.
I doubt Florida would.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:36 PM
bleedrngrblue

The ONLY way I move either Prucha or Dawes (not both) is in a package for LeCavalier. Then we are looking at a start to something. The offer would have to be pretty significant, and either of those two would only be a starting point from our perspective. Vinny said he'd like to play here a couple of seasons ago, so I am going on that assumption, and thinking that either of these 2 players would be a good start to a Package to entice a trade. Vinny is also coming up on a big contract with the monster season he had. I believe he has another season to FA status.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Fletch

Blu...

Purcha's late season surge was due to him getting back on the first PP unit - it is as simple as that. He got his groove back, found his rhythm, and began scoring again. He didn't adjust to not having a playmaker and a guy to get him the puck for chances, which is his style (park near the net, wait for the puck). It's really that simple. He was aggressive and skating well to start the season, so it wasn't the knee - and he played well with Jagr post knee injury.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:49 PM
JerseyRangers

Alot depends on how far we go in the playoffs. Not sure how many slots we be open come next season although I could see Satheroney making a couple of moves in the offseason to open up some slots. Big difference from two seasons ago when the roster spots were plentiful. Amazing how far we've come in a short period of time.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote