HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lang.....and other stuff

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

vCash: 500
Lang.....and other stuff

Well....it really looks like this is Langs team now.....I'm not counting on him winning the Art Ross.....but he really seems like the guy they look to, and he seems to want that...He was a good player last year...and is a great player this year. Its been debated over and over why...and if it will continue......I think the Capitals should think long and hard before moving him....and only consider an offer thats out of this world (yes I know, they wont get that kinda offer...which is fine). The team is not struggling to make payroll.....and even Ted says what they need to do is win

"The bottom line is, we have to win. It's simply not more complicated than that. "

"We have to win and give people a reason to come out, and in the meantime, I have to take the bad with the good. I knew what I was getting into when I bought this, and I'm going to own this team for 20 or 30 years."

and IMO you need good players to win.....The above quotes dont sound like a guy thats ready to go through a 3-5 year rebuild where his team misses the playoffs each year.

I'm not saying they wont/shouldnt shed salary....but who will be playing center? I cant see Nylander being with the team past this season (or even finishing the season)....Lang is a big center, with lots of skill and experience, and what looks like some nice leadership qualities..... and he wants to be the guy....

Zubrus is just playing eff'n great....he just does so much....I recently caught flak for saying Zubrus is the best player among those traded (by Hab fans mainly it seems....shocking) Would any of you trade Zubrus straight up for any of the others involved in that deal?

Old
12-20-2003, 07:09 AM
txpd

IMO, the reason Lang is playing at his current elevated level is because he has gotten an opportunity that he had not had before. That is the be the lead offensive player on his team. in pittsburgh and even last year with the Caps, Lang was not a primary player on the power play.
The puck stayed primarily on Jagr's side of the ice and his touches were limited.

Now Lang is in Adam Oates old spot on RW half boards. He gets the first touch and regular touches. Even with Jagr back, the play goes thru Lang. Bondra's one timer goals always come from Gonchar by way of Lang. Jagr's goals go around behind the net. Passes from Lang.

If the Capitals continue to have a #5/#6 power play ranking, Lang could win the Hart trophy on that alone. I think he has a real shot.

While I think the players, grier-zubrus and hanlon, have said that this is kolzig's team, I think they also recognize that Lang is the embodiment
of what they are trying to do. Lang takes the pressure of being the offensive leader off of Jagr and Jagr has seemed to return to his old self
with that.

The Capitals seem now to feel like they can come back from being behind...Lang setting the table for that. I would strongly considering giving Lang the C. He is a happy player, that loves to play the game.
He does not brag on his success. He gives his mates credit and seems to want to win very badly.

Thats my take. Has Lang ever been an all star?

Old
12-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
IMO, the reason Lang is playing at his current elevated level is because he has gotten an opportunity that he had not had before. That is the be the lead offensive player on his team. in pittsburgh and even last year with the Caps, Lang was not a primary player on the power play.
The puck stayed primarily on Jagr's side of the ice and his touches were limited.

Now Lang is in Adam Oates old spot on RW half boards. He gets the first touch and regular touches. Even with Jagr back, the play goes thru Lang. Bondra's one timer goals always come from Gonchar by way of Lang. Jagr's goals go around behind the net. Passes from Lang.

If the Capitals continue to have a #5/#6 power play ranking, Lang could win the Hart trophy on that alone. I think he has a real shot.

While I think the players, grier-zubrus and hanlon, have said that this is kolzig's team, I think they also recognize that Lang is the embodiment
of what they are trying to do. Lang takes the pressure of being the offensive leader off of Jagr and Jagr has seemed to return to his old self
with that.

The Capitals seem now to feel like they can come back from being behind...Lang setting the table for that. I would strongly considering giving Lang the C. He is a happy player, that loves to play the game.
He does not brag on his success. He gives his mates credit and seems to want to win very badly.

Thats my take. Has Lang ever been an all star?

like I said.....its been debated over and over why he is putting up better numbers than his normal very respectable numbers.....and your reasons for that are very accurate......

I'm not sure I see him winning the Ross or the Hart, still way too early...if he keeps it up and the team can get into the playoffs he would have to be at least a finalist.....but much of that depends on other players in the NHL, and how well their teams do

I too would consider strongly giving the C to Lang....he does seem to be a modest, happy, team first guy.....and like you said....wants to win very badly....and more importantly, want to be the guy out there with the game on the line

Old
12-20-2003, 08:46 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree

I think Lang should get the C if the Caps are comitted to keeping him. I think there must be some serious interest in him right now that could be preventing it.

I can see moving him IF, and only IF we get a young NHL forward and a decent NHL d-man in return. I proposed

Zetterberg and Dandenault

for

Lang and a 2nd

on the trade proposal boards.

As for Zubrus, considering he's scoring at a career best pace, and playing against the oppositions top line, I wouldn't trade him back to Montreal for all of the players we sent them. Biased yes...just my opinion.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
I think Lang should get the C if the Caps are comitted to keeping him. I think there must be some serious interest in him right now that could be preventing it.

I can see moving him IF, and only IF we get a young NHL forward and a decent NHL d-man in return. I proposed

Zetterberg and Dandenault

for

Lang and a 2nd

on the trade proposal boards.

As for Zubrus, considering he's scoring at a career best pace, and playing against the oppositions top line, I wouldn't trade him back to Montreal for all of the players we sent them. Biased yes...just my opinion.
I would not make that Lang trade....but thats just me...I'm also not paying him 5 mil....so....

as for Zubrus....I'm with you..I wouldnt trade him for back for both players either....nuts? maybe......but like you said....

Plays shutdown center against most teams big centers...and does it very well

playing on the #1 PP unit
playing on the #1 PK unit

and putting up pretty damn good #'s in the process.....if he doesnt get any better I'm still happy....and there is still a good chance he will continue to improve.......stability with his role on the team helps grow his confidence......something he hasnt really had before

Old
12-20-2003, 07:20 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
I would not make that Lang trade....but thats just me...I'm also not paying him 5 mil....so....

as for Zubrus....I'm with you..I wouldnt trade him for back for both players either....nuts? maybe......but like you said....

Plays shutdown center against most teams big centers...and does it very well

playing on the #1 PP unit
playing on the #1 PK unit

and putting up pretty damn good #'s in the process.....if he doesnt get any better I'm still happy....and there is still a good chance he will continue to improve.......stability with his role on the team helps grow his confidence......something he hasnt really had before

I think Zednik and Zubrus RIGHT NOW balance each other out, depends on the type of player you want...30-35 goals would be the ceiling for Zednik but Zubrus is really developing into a complete player...if Zubrus plays this way next season (whenever that is) then I think the caps got the better of the deal

Old
12-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3owner
I think Zednik and Zubrus RIGHT NOW balance each other out, depends on the type of player you want...30-35 goals would be the ceiling for Zednik but Zubrus is really developing into a complete player...if Zubrus plays this way next season (whenever that is) then I think the caps got the better of the deal
thats prolly a pretty accurate and fair statement......if Zubrus continues to produce on the score sheet, IMO its a no brainer.....seeing how I feel he brings much more to the table already

Closed Thread