HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blue Jackets/Canucks proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 05:31 AM
z13

vCash: 500
Blue Jackets/Canucks proposal

Marc Denis and Ben Knopp for Johan Hedberg and R.J. Umberger?

Old
12-22-2003, 05:42 AM
MoS*

i'd do it in a second

Old
12-22-2003, 05:45 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z13

NO from the Blue Jackets. A top young starting tender that played 77 games last season for a 2nd stringer in Hedberg. Columbus already has a backup in Braithwaite.

Is Umberger even signed yet? If not, why would Columbus want someone who would potentially leave and sign elsewhere?

Old
12-22-2003, 06:46 AM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Want Denis? Then you'll have to start talking names like Sedin and King.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:20 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Is Umberger even signed yet? If not, why would Columbus want someone who would potentially leave and sign elsewhere?
Apparantly Umberger is willing to sign a deal for around $950,000 as a base salary, but Burke refuses to pay him anything more than $750,000. It doesn't appear to be that Umberger is asking for a rediculous ammount, just that Burke is a very stubborn GM. I'm sure he'd sign with the NHL team that is in the same city where he went to college.

As for the deal, sign me up, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Old
12-22-2003, 07:46 AM
z13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
NO from the Blue Jackets. A top young starting tender that played 77 games last season for a 2nd stringer in Hedberg. Columbus already has a backup in Braithwaite.

Denis isn't playing like a #1 and I think Freddy is just as good. I used to be a big Denis fan, but I can't take it anymore, he gives up to many easy goals.

Umberger is the main objective of this proposal, I saw him play for the Buckeyes last year and I think he has 1st or 2nd line potential. I'd like the Jackets to get a head start in signing him.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:48 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity
Want Denis? Then you'll have to start talking names like Sedin and King.
king? why is he so coveted?

Old
12-22-2003, 09:25 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by z13
Denis isn't playing like a #1 and I think Freddy is just as good. I used to be a big Denis fan, but I can't take it anymore, he gives up to many easy goals.

Umberger is the main objective of this proposal, I saw him play for the Buckeyes last year and I think he has 1st or 2nd line potential. I'd like the Jackets to get a head start in signing him.
Never mind the fact that the CBJ won't be trading Denis until Leclaire displaces him ... IF the CBJ wanted Umberger, I'd be willing to bet they could get him at a much smaller price considering the stalemate between he and the Canucks.

BTW, I'd love for the team to acquire RJ, but I'm content to wait until June and see if he becomes a UFA.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:32 AM
BrianBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Never mind the fact that the CBJ won't be trading Denis until Leclaire displaces him ... IF the CBJ wanted Umberger, I'd be willing to bet they could get him at a much smaller price considering the stalemate between he and the Canucks.

BTW, I'd love for the team to acquire RJ, but I'm content to wait until June and see if he becomes a UFA.
Forget that... Burke's not just going to let an asset like that walk without having something to show for it... I'm guessing they'll reach a deal, but if not, Burke will move him to a team that's willing to give up something rather than face several other teams in a UFA bidding war.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:37 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurke
Forget that... Burke's not just going to let an asset like that walk without having something to show for it... I'm guessing they'll reach a deal, but if not, Burke will move him to a team that's willing to give up something rather than face several other teams in a UFA bidding war.
I can't blame him. I wouldn't let him walk either.
As a CBJ fan, I just can't imagine what they'd give up to ge t him. I'd offer a 2nd round pick (isn't that the compensation they'd get if someone signs him?), but the CBJ traded their 2nd rounder this year.
Maybe some combo of mid-pick and mid-prospect, but Columbus can't afford to give up anyone young of value and I don't imagine the Canucks would want any of the vets. Of course, given some injuries, you never know what a team might need at the deadline ....

Old
12-22-2003, 09:41 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Actually if I'm not mistaken he will get something for letting him walk.. namely a compensatory 2nd round pick in the same slot that R.J. was originally selected. So, Burke very well could let him walk since he will be getting something out of it.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Burke has already made it quite clear over a month ago that no deal would be made that saw Umberger being shipped out of town. Either he signs in Vancouver or he walks and the Canucks recieve a 2nd round pick in compensation.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:16 AM
z13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Burke has already made it quite clear over a month ago that no deal would be made that saw Umberger being shipped out of town. Either he signs in Vancouver or he walks and the Canucks recieve a 2nd round pick in compensation.
Oh well, put this proposal in the scrap pile, but I think this trade would benefit both teams since Denis still has alot of ability but no confidence right now. I think Marc will end up being a quality starter just not one to carry a young franchise.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:30 AM
BrianBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF

Yeah... and Brian Burke never postures during contract disputes?

Old
12-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by z13
It's just not worth while for the Canucks to trade Umberger. It is far better to either sign him on the Canucks terms or get both the 2nd round compensation pick (especially seeing that Vancouver doesn't have a 2nd round pick this year) plus getting the intimidation leverage the team will gain should they let him walk rather than cave in to the player's demands. This leverage will be a doublely strong message to other unsigned players seeing that it seems Umberger's demands are just a couple 100K over what the Canucks have reportedly offered. Thoughout the league, players have commented that Vancouver is one of the better teams to play for should they change teams. Burke is considered tough & stubborn, but overall fair & supportive if the player buys into the team's stand of team & community first. The team's wide open style of hockey & fan support also makes for the players enjoying the game.

As for Denis, I can't see Columbus trading him just yet, nor do I see the Canucks being too interested as he would just add to the team's log jam of quality young goalies. Cloutier is going to be hard to displace as the Canucks #1 as he has been improving each year & is playing great. Hedberg is a great backup, acquired for his experience & style. The Canucks would lose that style & confidence in Denis even though Denis has more NHL experience. At best Hedberg for Denis would be a trade off for the Canucks. Auld has also shown he can handle the NHL too. Mensator will be up next year in the Moose so it's going to be a goalie log jam there again next year.

That said, the Canucks could be a good trading partner with Columbus. Because they have a fairly young team, there is not a lot of openings on the Canucks, now or in the forseeable future. The Canucks will have a number of spares playing for the Moose as well as some decent 3rd & 4th line NHL regulars that could be moved. Columbus's problem, IMHO isn't that they lack top line quality young players or bottom line experienced NHL players, they lack depth & experience for the 2nd & 3rd lines & on defense. The way I see it, Columbus may be better off to forego trying to draft a premier bluechipper this year & trade that pick for quantity in the form of good 2nd & 3rd line & defensive prospects that are nearer to being NHL ready and for some experienced D or 2nd/3rd liners. In the prospect category I'm thinking along the lines of Jokela, Obsut, Smith, Kavanagh, Reid, Morrison, Bouck & Fedorov. In the experienced player catagory I'm thinking of Ruutu, May, Arvedson, Chubarov or Malik. Those players would not illecite enough interest if Columbus has the first pick overall or even one of the top 3, but they may if Columbus ends up in the 4th to 10th pick range & Vancouver was willing to swap 1sts along with some of those players or if Vancouver was willing to trade it's 1st this year, along with players & prospects for Columbus's 1st pick in 2005. From Vancouver's point of view, they could use a premium prospect, but that prospect doesn't have to be NHL ready for many years as the team is still quite young as it is.

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 12-22-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Closed Thread