HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Fassel and the G men

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Potter

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potter
OT: Fassel and the G men

Now I would like to start the contreversy by saying that Fassel's firing was RIDICULOUS. And I'd like to argue my point, see what you guys have to say about it, and have some fun doing it.

First of all, as a Giants fan, this season I've been DISGUSTED with the teams preformance. It's not when the other team beats them, its when they do lazy things like miss tackles on defense and special teams (the philly game is not Feagles' fault, he's been the MVP in my opinon), blown assignments (the loss to Dallas monday night again is not the kickers fault, bryant should have never caught a 30 yard pass), and the showboating. I'm sick of Shockey acting like a moron, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE'RE LOOSING!!! I'm sick of the line backers and d-line celebrating every time they make a routine tackle. I'm also sick of them not listening and continuing to make these blundering plays every week.

However I dont think it was Jim Fassel's fault. This year I knew was destined for failure a few games in when I realized the line was not good enough, despite all the press they were getting. I didn't come close to predicting this kind of meltdown, but I didn't expect them to get passed one round of the playoffs. This team has been DECIMATED by injuries. These last few games, we got guys in there who are not good enough to be in the NFL. The whole secondary is trying hard and playing hard, they are just not good enough.

Fassel AND THE GM took a gamble on the O-line, hoping that they would come together, develope some chemistry, and become a solid unit. Didn't happen.

It wasn't Fassel who kept running out of the pocket like a little girl whenever it got hot. Collin's doesn't have the balls to take a hit to make the play. The Redskins had a terrible line, but Ramsey took the hits and had himself a good year with all things considered. Fassel doesn't keep fumbling, thats Tiki Barber. Now, it may be that he went to UVA, but I feel like he should take some initiative to solve his fumbling problem. Just on a side note, why can't Collins spend a half an hour a day, JUST 30 MINUTES A DAY doing some agility drills and running? I dont understand QB's that can't learn how to run.

I'm ranting here. My point is there has to be a point where we put the blame on the players and not the coach. No one is a better coach for that team than Fassel. Everything that could have gone wrong this year did, and things like that happen. Mara should have held a press conference and said "To all the fans with the signs and the chants, to the all the sports writers, THIS IS OUR GUY. This is our coach. He's gonna be our coach next season. He's brought this team from a joke to a super bowl caliber team. This year, everything that could have gone wrong did. I'm saying it's a flop and I'm not going to give up Fassel just because of one bad year. If next year we see similar results, then maybe a change is necessary. However, right now, like it our not, he's our guy. He's earned this position and one bad season isn't going to change that." Then they should have, together, drafted either Rothesberger or Kevin Jones, shored up the O-line and special teams in the draft or with FAs, let everyone get healthy, and give this thing another shot.

I don't feel firing Fassel was the best thing for this team. In pro sports today that seems to be the trend but I feel this will yeild negative results that might take a period of team to rebound from. Only time will tell now, but thats how I feel. What does everyone else thinK?

Old
12-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Davisian

It's my opinion that this season was not all Fassels fault, and he'd be pretty low on the list of fault, of which there's plenty to go around..

Accorsi should take more blame than Fassel IMO, and the players as well..

I think he's a damn good coach and has done a lot of great work for this team..

Having said that, I do think its time for a change.. I thought Accorsi should follow him, but I think this team needs a new coach, new direction, and while most are aging, there is still a very solid core of players that can help turn it around quickly..

Old
12-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
It's my opinion that this season was not all Fassels fault, and he'd be pretty low on the list of fault, of which there's plenty to go around..

Accorsi should take more blame than Fassel IMO, and the players as well..

I think he's a damn good coach and has done a lot of great work for this team..

Having said that, I do think its time for a change.. I thought Accorsi should follow him, but I think this team needs a new coach, new direction, and while most are aging, there is still a very solid core of players that can help turn it around quickly..
Thos are pretty much my thoughts as well. A change is needed and its probably best for both Fassel and the Giants to move on. Both management and Fassel have handled this with lots of class, and I'm glad he'll end his tenure with some grace.

As for Accorsi, I agree he shares plenty of blame, especially for the O-line mess. On the other hand, I'm curious to see how he does picking his first coach as Giants GM. Remember, he was the first GM to give Bill Belichek an HC job.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Thos are pretty much my thoughts as well. A change is needed and its probably best for both Fassel and the Giants to move on. Both management and Fassel have handled this with lots of class, and I'm glad he'll end his tenure with some grace.

As for Accorsi, I agree he shares plenty of blame, especially for the O-line mess. On the other hand, I'm curious to see how he does picking his first coach as Giants GM. Remember, he was the first GM to give Bill Belichek an HC job.
What's the story with Nick Saban, the LSU coach? What is his forte'? Why does everyone keep saying he's a solid coach is my question and could he be our guy?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
What's the story with Nick Saban, the LSU coach? What is his forte'? Why does everyone keep saying he's a solid coach is my question and could he be our guy?
I think he said he doesn't want to leave LSU.. Might not hold true, but seems like he won't be a choice..

I've heard on the short list

Coughlin
Weis
Crennel

Don't know much about the latter two (except that they've done a good job with the Pats, but don't have a lot of head coaching expierence) but I know I don;t want Coughlin.. He had his chance to be the coach of the G-men and turned 'em down.. You shouldn't get another shot at one of the best jobs in the game unless no other candidates are available..

I didn't know much about Fassel when he was hired, so I can't really say who I prefer.. Either way, I'll judge him on the way he gets his boys to play..

Old
12-19-2003, 10:00 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
IMO, a change of head coach was needed, but I don't know if now was the right time. I don't think the Giants will find a better coach than Fassel.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Barnaby

I think Fassel has been a very good coach but its time for a change.

Old
12-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Servo

I'd strongly prefer Crennel to Weis. If they don't hire Coughlin, I want a defensive guy.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:05 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope the new coach insists that players act like professionals. What s up wth celebrating evert time you make a tackle. That's your job. And what's with all the stupid personal fouls.

The Giants used to have intelligent players. Accorsi drafts hs share of slow learners and dummies and Fassell never holds them accountable.

Ron Dayne? If you're not gonna play him why the hell keep him?

Boy, that Kenny Holmes was sure a great free agent signing. Only outdone by Brian Mitchell. Giants would have been better off rushing 11 guys instead of using Mitchell to return punts.

Get rid of Accorsi, too. He's more to blame than Fassel.

Hoping we lose the rest.
We're gonna get a high draft pick this year. but I don't want another Dayne or Cedric Jones.

Oh yeah, how many years is it gonna take till they realize Palmer can't cut it?

Old
12-19-2003, 02:42 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Exactly Accorsi always gets overlooked. He definitely should have been fired this year. It is absolutely rediculous how little depth the Giants get every year from their drafts. Besides no-brainers like Shockey, his early round picks have been horrible. And if your gonna take a DT like Jospeh then play him. I am praying the Giants drop the rest of their games so they could get a very good draft pick. I want a Manning, Roethlisberger, Roy Williams, Steven Jackson, Shawn Andrews or Robert Gallery...

Old
12-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Potter

Everyone seems to be spitting the same jargen that "this team needs a change." My question to you is, how is this specific change going to get the Giants closer to the Super Bowl?

And Accossi is terrible. Delvin Joyce is nasty, yeah JMU grad.

Old
12-21-2003, 10:02 AM
ap215

Agreed although i'm saddened to see fassel be let go a change was needed and other than the players,accorsi should take responsibility for the awful season we are having this year.

Closed Thread