HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

First Shot Scorer.

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
First Shot Scorer.

The Oilers have a tremendous number of top flight playmakers on the roster. Forwards like Mike York, Ales Hemsky, Adam Oates and Ryan Smyth combine outstanding passing skills with an elevated ability to see a play develop.

What the Oiler DON'T have right now is a pure scorer, a "first shot scorer" as Craig MacTavish once called Jochen Hecht.

Ethan Moreau has imo the best shot among the F's, but is about as accurate as a Liberal budget. I love Ryan Smyth, but most of his goals happen near the net.

Although York has a quick release, he's still more playmaker than sniper, and Hemsky and Oates are pass-first players.

Radek Dvorak can shoot the puck, and Chimera can rip it but other than that can you think of a forward who can?

Watching last night's game, Jani Rita once again impressed me as a guy whose shot is good enough to have an impact. I know he wandered through the game, and one play he made near the 'runner net would drive anyone nuts (just let a guy grab the puck even though Rita was between the puck and the player).

On the other hand, at one point he came over the line and let a wonderful shot go.

Is it worth bring him up for 10 games and giving him one of these gifted passers?

Giving him some PP time?

I think it might be a good idea.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The Oilers have a tremendous number of top flight playmakers on the roster. Forwards like Mike York, Ales Hemsky, Adam Oates and Ryan Smyth combine outstanding passing skills with an elevated ability to see a play develop.

What the Oiler DON'T have right now is a pure scorer, a "first shot scorer" as Craig MacTavish once called Jochen Hecht.

Ethan Moreau has imo the best shot among the F's, but is about as accurate as a Liberal budget. I love Ryan Smyth, but most of his goals happen near the net.

Although York has a quick release, he's still more playmaker than sniper, and Hemsky and Oates are pass-first players.

Radek Dvorak can shoot the puck, and Chimera can rip it but other than that can you think of a forward who can?

Watching last night's game, Jani Rita once again impressed me as a guy whose shot is good enough to have an impact. I know he wandered through the game, and one play he made near the 'runner net would drive anyone nuts (just let a guy grab the puck even though Rita was between the puck and the player).

On the other hand, at one point he came over the line and let a wonderful shot go.

Is it worth bring him up for 10 games and giving him one of these gifted passers?

Giving him some PP time?

I think it might be a good idea.
Your post wreaks of logic. Therefore it makes no sense at all. Mac-T will more likely move Bergeron up to forward and put York on Defense.

I agree that Rita needs a look. We aren't getting any better right now. But it could be worse.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:46 AM
t0mf00lery

Can you imagine how many shots Rita would get if he played LW with Oates and Hemsky?

Old
12-20-2003, 09:10 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
...Ryan Smyth combine outstanding passing skills...
I agree with everything in your post except this... personally I don't think Smytty is a great passer.

We definitely need a shooter in our lineup and perhaps Rita can fill this need. If Isbister can stay healthy and continue to elevate his play, he may be able to have an impact in this area as well.

Old
12-20-2003, 09:11 AM
windowlicker

logic and Mact just dont mix..

what may be crystal clear to 99% of all posters here could be a complex mathematical equation to MactT.

(I personally cannot believe Rita has not gotten his shot this season yet. He has talent, we know this. He has gone through slumps in his play, just like 100% of hockey players before and after him, and you just dont LOSE all of your god-given athletic ability like THAT.... unless maybe your attitude goes down the toilet because your coach and GM very bluntly & repeatedly act as if they lost all faith in you.)

Old
12-20-2003, 09:16 AM
elphy101

I don't think the Oilers have a first shot scorer in their system(other than maybe Isbister). Isbister does strike me as that type of player though, he seems to have a deadly shot, it's too bad he never uses it.I don't think Rita qualify's as a sniper.

This is the Oilers biggest problem. They need a one shot scorer like Bill Guerin and Anson Carter. They don't have one anymore.

I think Jeff O'neill would be the perfect player for the Oilers. A big sniping center/rw that would team perfectly with a playmaking right wing(Hemsky)

Old
12-20-2003, 10:24 AM
theoil

Bregeron and Semenov can shoot (Bergeron can even hit one timers) but don't seem to take advantage of that fact even on the power play. I love Dvorak but the one thing we lost with Carter was a shooter who could score from 20 feet. Why Chimera doesn't play with Hemsky is not clear to me. He is a guy that I think can be taught to go to the dead spot at the top of the circle and wait for the pass.

Old
12-20-2003, 10:25 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

This is why I'm always saying we need to acquire a guy like Freddy Modin, who's a poor man's Peter Bondra if used properly.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:54 PM
ozzieoiler

We have so many guys on this roster who are pluggers be asked to provide scoring and offence. In Rita you have player who can put the puck in the net. He may float and look unispired for stretches but talent is talent. We all talk about acqiuring talent from other teams but quite frankly i think our guy is waiting in Toronta for a ticket to E town.

Another question to this post Would Rita be on the farm for any other or at least have been given a shot ????

Old
12-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Mr Sakich

we have a first shot shooter on our team - Hemsky. He scores goal-scorers' goals.

Also, Izzy has a pretty decent shot, as does semenov.

Old
12-20-2003, 04:33 PM
OYLer

Quote:
... Ethan Moreau has imo the best shot among the F's, but is about as accurate as a Liberal budget...
LOL, well I certainly can agree with you about Chopper's shooting accuracy.

Old
12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Oiltalk

This post is a nice forshadow Lowetide, because at the rate the Oilers are going Ovechkin will be heading over.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:58 PM
creative giant*

Quote:

Rita is WAY overdue. The guy needs a decent chance at cracking the roster, and seeing as how he is determined not to make it out of training camp, what's the harm in throwing him in the mix right now in this, the worst funk of the year for the oilers. This guy has INSANE skill, he is not a minor league player. On half the teams in the NHL, he would already have a roster spot (most likely tentative though), but for some reason the oilers are too good for him. If he could get going, a line of Hemsky-Rita-Torres would be deadly, and should provide a decent mix of grit and speed. What I was most happy with about the Comrie trade was that we didn't throw Rita in too; I know he would have come back to haunt us

Old
12-21-2003, 11:36 AM
t0mf00lery

If we all keep up this petition to have Rita recalled, MacT and K-Lo may eventually listen to the fans and forget about the appearant disdain that they have for Jani.

Closed Thread