HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Backlund at #9 ?

Old
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
St.Louis sports fan

vCash: 500
Backlund at #9 ?

Before he was injured this year he was seen as a possible number 1 overall and a Blue-chipper. With his recent resurgence at the U-18 if the Blues don't trade up to get JVR, or Voracek would it be that bad if we took Backlund at #9? Then maybe get an Oscar Moller, McLean, or Tyrell with the second number 1 and maybe Mark Katic with the third. It's also possible that one of the top 8 nabs Backlund letting Gagner or Couture fall to us. I know IB thinks we'll trade up and I'm all for it, but if the price is too high Backlund could be a steal at #9.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 12:21 PM
kimzey59

Backlund will likely still be around for Atlanta's 1st round pick.
IMO taking him at #9 is FAR too much of a reach. IF we select a non-Russian European with the #9 pick(I like both of the Russian wingers(Cherepanov and Mayorov) and would have no problem taking either with a top 10 pick); I think it would be Lars Eller. The kid has shot up the rankings this year much like Oshie did in his draft year. IF any prospect has "Jarmo Reach Pick" writen on them this year; it's Eller.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Checker*

Backlund won't be around for Atlanta's pick, but it's not like we couldn't trade up and snag him if we really liked him. I, unlike most on the board, don't think we'll trade up from 9, but it wouldn't sursprise me in the least if we moved up Atlanta's pick to around 15 or so.

If we want to do a reach at #9, I vote that we "Blake Wheeler" Max Pacioretty. He's already huge and he can skate. Not to mention he has an incredible work ethic and has likewise been shooting up the draft charts. Oh and he just won USHL rookie of the year, and will play at Michigan next year.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Not a chance that Backlund gets picked at 9...but as Kimzey pointed out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him chosen with one of the later 1st rounders. In addition to Eller, Simon Hjalmarsson looks to be a solid, rugged player though perhaps a little undersized at the moment. Another reason why I hope we keep the multiple picks, rather than packaging some to move up a couple of positions.

and as for all of the worry about the European draftees that i've been reading on this board, I wouldn't be at all upset if the Blues somehow came away with Cherepanov/Mayorov, Eller/Hjalmarsson, Backlund/Andersson as our 1st round selections.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
St.Louis sports fan

I don't think that Backlund at #9 is a reach at all. CSB has him rated the #2 Euro and he was concensus number 1 overall before this year started. He has had injuries which has hurt his development this year, but he has shown his ability to play at a high level. I also don't think he will be around for the Atlanta pick. I was hoping some Swedish posters could chime in on Mikael's season and upside. I don't know much about Eller Kimzey could you fill me in? Thanks.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Robb_K

I think better North American forwards will be available at #9. Why pick another European who might stay a long time in his own country, or need extra time getting used to the North American game before making The Blues' NHL roster, when there are several forwards with similar NET upsides/downsides, and enough of them have grown up in the North American game?

Even Esposito, with his so-called questionable "character" issues, seems like a better pick. Backlund is by no means a "sure thing". If a miracle were to happen, and Cherepanov is still on the board at #9, I'd take him, but not Backlund.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Prussian_Blue

I wouldn't dismiss out-of-hand the possibility of Backlund being taken at ninth overall, if the Blues aren't able to trade up for a Voracek or a van Riemsdyk.

As SLSF points out, Backlund was widely considered a potential first-overall pick not so long ago, and he has regenerated interest in himself by having a very strong performance (6 GP, 6-1-7, even +/-, 6 PIM, 2 PPG) at the U-18 WJC.

I am inclined to agree with kimzey, however, that Lars Eller might be even more the "Kekalainen-type" pick that the Blues may reach for with the ninth-overall selection.

Eller was 2-5-7, plus-6, 16 PIM, 1 PPG in six games for Denmark at the U-20 WJC, in Division 1, Group A. He was also 3-7-10, plus-5, 6 PIM, 1 PPG, 1 SHG in six games for Denmark at the U-18 WJC, Division 1, Group B. In 39 games for Frolunda juniors, he was 18-37-55, with a plus-22 and 58 PIM. 8 PPG, 1 SGH, 4 GWG, and won 400 of the 778 faceoffs he took (51.41%).

He's a center, 6-00, 198, shoots left. I passed on him in my mock draft, and I'm kicking myself for it now, even more so after delving a little deeper into his production this year.

If the Blues did opt for Eller at ninth overall; scored Backlund, Moller, MacLean or Max Pacioretty with Atlanta's pick; and then were lucky enough to have either Nick Petrecki or Kevin Shattenkirk still available when they use Jersey's pick, it could be a very profitable draft for the boys in Blue.

I'd still like to see them figure out a way to draft both of the Baskhirov twins as well.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Backlund won't be around for Atlanta's pick, but it's not like we couldn't trade up and snag him if we really liked him. I, unlike most on the board, don't think we'll trade up from 9, but it wouldn't sursprise me in the least if we moved up Atlanta's pick to around 15 or so.

If we want to do a reach at #9, I vote that we "Blake Wheeler" Max Pacioretty. He's already huge and he can skate. Not to mention he has an incredible work ethic and has likewise been shooting up the draft charts. Oh and he just won USHL rookie of the year, and will play at Michigan next year.
I just got Pacioretty with the 39th-overall pick in my mock...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I just got Pacioretty with the 39th-overall pick in my mock...

P_B

That is indeed amazing. You know I've liked Pacioretty for a while now (you got my PM from an earlier mock draft you were in) even before he shot way up draft charts. I've yet to read or hear anything negative about the guy from anyone I know or from any hockey sites. The thing that really gets stressed is his work ethic, but I've seen articles praising him for his soft hands and creatvity, then I see an article praising his ability and desire to play two-way hockey. Then I hear first-hand accounts of how good of a skater he is for a big guy. It seems like he has all of the tools the scouts are looking for in combination with a ton of size. I see his stock shooting up further at the combine and I really think he goes top 15. Sure the USHL isn't exactly the stiffest competition to play against, but he was a better than point-per-game player there, showed he knows how to use his size, and won rookie of the year. This combined with the fact that I'm not sold on Hamill, Esposito, or Mayorov and I really wouldn't mind reaching with our pick for a guy like this.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote