HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most Hostile Visiting Arena?

View Poll Results: What's the worst hockey arena to visit?
The Mosuleum 9 13.24%
The Swamp 4 5.88%
The Boston Gah-den 3 4.41%
Filthydelphia 33 48.53%
Igloo 0 0%
Montreal Forum 13 19.12%
Other 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Most Hostile Visiting Arena?

Just for hockey, but I've been roundly abused/had stuff thrown at me for wearing my NYR jerseys at the Fleet Center (or whatever it's called now) in Boston. What's your worst visiting arena experience?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I won't vote, because I've only been to Philly, but I was pretty surprised by the lack of abuse I got when I was there with my Rangers' jersey on. I had no problems, despite the warnings I got from my Philadelphia friends.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I took a road trip to Philly to see the Rangers play the Flyers in 2003 with a buddy of mine. I wore my Blue Ranger jersey. Not one person said a word to me until I was walking out of the arena after the game. Some dweeb yelled "Rangers suck". I turned to look and it was some 300lb chick that made Rosie O'Donnell look like a fox. I looked at her and said "have a salad you cow". Man times have changed. If you wore a Ranger jersey to Philly in the 70s you were looking for a beating. That dump in Uniondale is much more contentious.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
I have been to a lot of arenas (15) and can sum the fans up as follows:

Nicest: Ottawa (Honorable mention: Buffalo)
Biggest jerks: NYI (Honorable mention: Vancouver)

Old
05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Been to 23 NHL rinks including all of the above and the Island is clearly the worst place to show up with a Rangers shirt on. Montreal? Great, passionate fans. Best arena oither than The Garden? My second home -- The Xcel Center.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post

HSBC in Buffalo is a seriously nice arena.

Old
05-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Slats432

I saw 18 000 Flyers fans seriously abuse some NJ Devils fans. Philly fans are relentless.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:22 PM
WNY Blueshirt

Send a message via AIM to WNY Blueshirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
I looked at her and said "have a salad you cow".
i said the same thing, pretty much word for word, to some beef leprechaun when I was in Tampa (she also yelled "Rangers suck"). she tried to pick a fight afterward in the bathroom with the girls we were with. she was the only person who talked any smack in that place the entire night.

WNY Blueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
I took a road trip to Philly to see the Rangers play the Flyers in 2003 with a buddy of mine. I wore my Blue Ranger jersey. Not one person said a word to me until I was walking out of the arena after the game. Some dweeb yelled "Rangers suck". I turned to look and it was some 300lb chick that made Rosie O'Donnell look like a fox. I looked at her and said "have a salad you cow". Man times have changed. If you wore a Ranger jersey to Philly in the 70s you were looking for a beating. That dump in Uniondale is much more contentious.
Hahahah I had almost the same thing happen to me as well, but I went in '04.. we got blown out like 6-3 I think... same deal.... maybe it was the same fatty fat fat?

IMO, if you are with someone wearing the home teams colors, you are less of a target...

Same goes with how you act.. stand up and cheer when your team scores, but other then that, sit down and shut up.... its fine to be a fan and I am not saying you should not be one.. only suggesting that if you don't want to start a problem, might want to keep under the radar.... starting chants in the away teams building (unless you have a good amount of fellow fans to do it with) is NOT a goo idea...at least thats what I tell my friends when the say they are going to the garden and rooting for the away team...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Philly.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I know most Philly fans don't show a lot of class, at least the ones that aren't on these boards, but usually that's because of one thing: Alcohol.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 05-03-2007 at 02:07 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:01 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
HSBC in Buffalo is a seriously nice arena.
Lots of legroom and wings, obviously. This isnt about arena quality for me, though. Because although the Ottawa fans were nice, their building had very uncomfy seats and was so out in the middle of nowhere that it made the CAA look convenient.

Old
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Forechecker

Blather that doesn't need to repeated.

Last edited by Forechecker: 05-03-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Good Taste
Old
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

For me it's Philly...

There is a guy back in 1996 that I know ate out of a straw for a few months after he tried to rip my girlfriend (now wifes) jersey off in the parking lot...

all i can remember him saying was "i didn't know she was..." and then teeth and blood my friends...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:15 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
I know most Philly fans don't show a lot of class, at least the ones that aren't on these boards, but usually that's because of one thing: Alcohol.
And you just showed a lot of class by editing your post. Well done.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
I've only had the opportunity to visit arenas in non hockey areas (Tampa, Sunrise, Anaheim, L.A.)

Tampa was probably the worst out of them, but most of it was all in good fun.

Anaheim was easily the best I've been to, classy fans, classy arena and a very nice show put on.

I was chatting back and forth with a few Ducks fans afterwards and started in about how it was a bad call (this was the game that Jagr won in OT this season) and the like, afterwards a lady wearing a Ducks jersey turned to me and said, "You've got to be the nicest, most polite Rangers fan I've ever met"..... I smiled at her and said "That's because I'm not from New York maam."
Right after this happens, this guy in a big truck that has a lift kit in it is blaring his horn and cursing at this bus in front of him, of course he has a Rangers jersey on hahah, and the lady turns to me again and says, "Yeah they're normally more like that"

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:27 AM
TrueBlue9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Just for hockey, but I've been roundly abused/had stuff thrown at me for wearing my NYR jerseys at the Fleet Center (or whatever it's called now) in Boston. What's your worst visiting arena experience?
Been going to what is now the "TDBankNorth Garden" and haven't gotten anything from anyone for the past 2 years...however that could be a result of us never losing to them...

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:33 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Me and a friend went up to Ottawa for a game this year and the Rangers won 3-1, and the fans there were really friendly. It was a day game, so there were some kids present but still, I didn't hear one fan say anything abrasive at all. The kids that worked at the rink were super cool too. We got a free Sens blanket as a promo for signing up for some credit card even though we weren't supposed to since we didn't have a valid Canadian address, but the guys giving them out just let us make something up and we got em.
Granted, we were being respectful but still, it was a really good experience, I respect Ottawa fans a lot now.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

even though ive never been there, from the games ive seen on tv, id HAVE to go with Montreal.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 12:38 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I went to the old Spectrum and was treated...rather harshly, lol. The Wachovia Center isn't nearly as bad except for some verbal taunting, but that doesn't really bother me.

I've never really ran into any trouble at the TD Banknorth Garden but that's mostly because it's usually about half Rangers fans in attendance.

The Coliseum can get a little rowdy sometimes but I've never had anything thrown at me or anyone touch me.

I think it's all about how you conduct yourself at away games.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

btw, on the flip side, i consider the Philips Arena to be one of the best fan experiences ive ever had, and that includes the Garden.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 03:25 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I've only seen the Rangers in San Jose and not only is there a healthy contingent of fellow Ranger fans about, but it's always a good experience.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 05:12 AM
patnyrnyg

I have been to: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Florida, Philly, Pitts, Bahsten, NJ, and NYI. Never really had a problem anywhere, closest was the colliseum. Friendliest people were in Ottawa by far, with Toronto next.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post

I've only been to the coliseum once, (Hollweg/Simon game) but I think we we're worse to home fans than they were to us. It never got out of hand, but when your team wins, there's not much you can say in reply.

Actually it was good natured all around, but my point is I didn't find the coliseum bad at all. The only other place I've ever been is Verizon center, and it certainly wasn't an intense atmosphere.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 10:16 AM
thesnake

Ive seen the Rangers play in Montreal, Philly, NJ, and Long Island. Everyplace was fine except Philly. I pretty much feared for my life there, but it wasnt inside the game that was the problem.

The game I went to was Lindros' first game back in Philly... and the Eagles were home for a playoff game that afternoon. The scene in the parking lot between the hockey and football games was something similar to a prison riot, if they served beer and BBQ at prison riots.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote