HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: The Final *FINAL*Doug MacLean Show (On Big Show at 5:00pm, 1460 AM) | 04/26/07

Old
04-26-2007, 05:32 PM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Say what you want about a few things... but Doug Maclean knows how to turn on the class when he wants to. Took a lot of class to do the show. That class and caring is currently evident in the organization as it runs today. Hope we don't lose that.

"Class" counts in the world of hockey, therefore my prediction:
Mr. Maclean will be back GMing soon.
Ill agree it took class to do the show

Dont know if he will be a GM again...maybe a coach or President. One thing he needs to do...is pick ONE thing and do it...not all 3. He is a guy that needs to focus on one item...and have somebody to have the power above him to reign him in at times.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 05:37 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Wow. That last caller just got ripped into. Hooley just went on a complete tangent with rather unimpressive points.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 05:39 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Say what you want about a few things... but Doug Maclean knows how to turn on the class when he wants to. Took a lot of class to do the show. That class and caring is currently evident in the organization as it runs today. Hope we don't lose that.

"Class" counts in the world of hockey, therefore my prediction:
Mr. Maclean will be back GMing soon.
No doubt it took class to do this interview without it turning into a blame fest.

As for Doug's future, I think its more likely he ends up back behind the bench than in the front office, at least in the NHL.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

They say the interview will be replayed at 6:05.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post
Wow. That last caller just got ripped into. Hooley just went on a complete tangent with rather unimpressive points.
Yes....as he should have. JHC.....MacLean was freakin fired, he calls in to talk to his fans to say goodbye and that guy wants to continue ripping him....

Sure I wanted him gone as GM, nothing more. Let the guy have a chance for a future in the NHL...there is no need to rehash his shortcomings now.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 05:54 PM
jimotis

for some reason i see doug as president of a club before gming again. you cant take away from him of what he did for this city. the one issue was the team was bad and never sucked. he possibly to fault put too good of a team on the ice the first few years...

jimotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Maybe Nashville will want him as president seems they have a pretty good on ice product but seem to have some problem gettin the fans in .. maybe a lil dash of dougie can help them he made us all junkies and we suck

Old
04-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsTst97 View Post
Maybe Nashville will want him as president seems they have a pretty good on ice product but seem to have some problem gettin the fans in .. maybe a lil dash of dougie can help them he made us all junkies and we suck
Possible....but I doubt he wants to work in the south....

I bet he gets a GM job in the future and based on what he learned here will do quite well. I think he has learned he cannot sell a product on the ice that does not exist and he will not surround himself with so many inexperienced friends (based on what I thought at least) .....we will see.

Old
04-26-2007, 06:39 PM
mook6873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Possible....but I doubt he wants to work in the south....

I bet he gets a GM job in the future and based on what he learned here will do quite well. I think he has learned he cannot sell a product on the ice that does not exist and he will not surround himself with so many inexperienced friends (based on what I thought at least) .....we will see.
i have a feeling a buch of russian players will hire him as their agent after what he did for zherdev and fedorov.

mook6873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 07:45 PM
DougKnowsBest

doug

what a guy. to bad we didnt win 10 more games a year for the last 2 or 3 years

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 10:02 PM
3mta3

Interesting that the loss of Ray Whitney was a downer. I recall him saying that Whitney was the reason that the Jackets sucked on the road because he didn't light the lamp away from home.

Hearing how he was today made me feel for the guy until I thought about that a bit. Too much revisionist history, too little results. When your record gets so bad that people can use your ego against you to have you thrown out on your can that's just your own damned fault.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
- Really regret that we didn't win more games.
There's a sigline for you.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
Interesting that the loss of Ray Whitney was a downer. I recall him saying that Whitney was the reason that the Jackets sucked on the road because he didn't light the lamp away from home.

Hearing how he was today made me feel for the guy until I thought about that a bit. Too much revisionist history, too little results. When your record gets so bad that people can use your ego against you to have you thrown out on your can that's just your own damned fault.
Good point mta....sort of piling on but true none the less.....

Old
04-27-2007, 12:05 AM
CBJSlash

I guess this will free up time so he can post on this board more often....I know who you are.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 08:28 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Former Blue Jackets president and general manager Doug MacLean made his first public comments since his firing yesterday on WBNS-AM (1460).

Taking mostly soft questions from hosts Bruce Hooley and former Ohio State quarterback Kirk Herbstreit, MacLean said he was "really proud about what we accomplished" in his nine years with the Blue Jackets.

The only revelation was that MacLean was surprised by his firing April 18.

"I had some conversations with (alternate governor) J.P. McConnell prior to the meeting," MacLean said. "I sensed we'd get another year."

MacLean was asked whether he'd change anything during his six seasons, all of which ended with the Blue Jackets way out of the playoffs.

"I probably made the mistake of going too young in goal," he said. "I thought Marc Denis was ready to take the step and be a real good goaltender. And I may have made the mistake of playing too many young guys.

"People have chastised me for the (Sergei) Fedorov trade. But the club is .500 since we made the Fedorov trade."

Actually, the Blue Jackets are 63-72-11 since the Fedorov trade. But when did .500 become the goal, anyway?
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/disp...rumblings.html

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 08:57 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Actually, the Blue Jackets are 63-72-11 since the Fedorov trade. But when did .500 become the goal, anyway?

This right here is exactly why Doug got fired.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
darrmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-Lebowski View Post

This right here is exactly why Doug got fired.
Yea but at the same time you can say that .500 in the sense that it is loss in overtime which many teams have used to go onto the playoffs. I can see what he is trying to say.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
Yea but at the same time you can say that .500 in the sense that it is loss in overtime which many teams have used to go onto the playoffs. I can see what he is trying to say.
I don't believe that OTLs are even apart of the discussion win discussion winning percentage, which is a major flaw with the system.

We could go 2-2-78, and be .500, yet lost 80 games. I think that is how it is usually figured and it is terrible.

I still haven't figured out why they give points for OTLs. I can understand SOL, as a concession for shootout, but if a team beats another in OT...... I don't think they should get a point. I think it would also make OT more competitive rather than some teams holding out until the shootout.

Old
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
darrmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
I don't believe that OTLs are even apart of the discussion win discussion winning percentage, which is a major flaw with the system.

We could go 2-2-78, and be .500, yet lost 80 games. I think that is how it is usually figured and it is terrible.

I still haven't figured out why they give points for OTLs. I can understand SOL, as a concession for shootout, but if a team beats another in OT...... I don't think they should get a point. I think it would also make OT more competitive rather than some teams holding out until the shootout.
I was just doing Doug math, it is newer the new math.

I agree on the point you made though on OT Losses Points vs Shootout Loss Points

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Quote:

That would have exactly the opposite effect, making the OT period absolutly meaningless. Teams would play ultra-conservativly through the OT period so they don't lose the point. Teams that are good in the SO would have even more reason to stall through OT than they do now.

The idea for the OT loss point was to make the OT more competitive back when there were ties. Teams could afford to take chances in OT chasing the extra point without worrying about losing the point they had already "earned." I definitly think the practice needs to be revisited now that every game has a winner but any way they could go with it will cause someone to yell bloody murder. The whole thing is a balancing act between fairness, entertainment, and practicality.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV CBJ Fan View Post
That would have exactly the opposite effect, making the OT period absolutly meaningless. Teams would play ultra-conservativly through the OT period so they don't lose the point. Teams that are good in the SO would have even more reason to stall through OT than they do now.

The idea for the OT loss point was to make the OT more competitive back when there were ties. Teams could afford to take chances in OT chasing the extra point without worrying about losing the point they had already "earned." I definitly think the practice needs to be revisited now that every game has a winner but any way they could go with it will cause someone to yell bloody murder. The whole thing is a balancing act between fairness, entertainment, and practicality.
That is true. I would like to see some change made.

1 1/2 pt for SO win and 1/2 pt for SO loss makes the most mathematical sense to me. 2 pt for OT win, 0 pt for OT loss.

Teams play to win in OT or else they lose half a point.

Old
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Quote:
That is true. I would like to see some change made.

1 1/2 pt for SO win and 1/2 pt for SO loss makes the most mathematical sense to me. 2 pt for OT win, 0 pt for OT loss.

Teams play to win in OT or else they lose half a point.
The thought of including fractions in the process makes me feel all icky.:shiver:

Old
04-27-2007, 11:49 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
The thought of including fractions in the process makes me feel all icky.:shiver:
I understand

I suppose you can multiply everything by 2

4 for a win, 3 for a Shootout Win, 1 for a shootout loss.

All the games are for the same number of points; the biggest criticism in the league. Or drop Points (I know, I'll be lynched), in favor of winning percentage calculated with this method.

Old
04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
The Dancin' Beaver

Quote:
I understand

I suppose you can multiply everything by 2

4 for a win, 3 for a Shootout Win, 1 for a shootout loss.

All the games are for the same number of points; the biggest criticism in the league. Or drop Points (I know, I'll be lynched), in favor of winning percentage calculated with this method.
Now we see the complication inherent in the system!

Help! Help! I'm being confused!

Old
04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Now we see the complication inherent in the system!

Help! Help! I'm being confused!
You're a great poster WV, cause you make me laugh. Love the new avatar too.

Robert makes me cry.
3mta3 makes me feel bad.
Bender gets my goat.
Mods make me infracted.

We need to create and sticky a "Maclean Punching Bag" thread. Can't close them all.

"Maclean for President"
(but not a GM, good point)

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote