HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

It's time to tank the season

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 08:21 AM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
It's time to tank the season

This is not a good hockey team, this is a given. Any hope a small market team has of winning the cup has to be based on drafting high and well for a few years. Pittsburgh went from basement to Stanley Cup winners with a franchise pick and a few years of top five selections. Ottawa has had the potential for the same (perhaps missing that one stud player).

With the growing prospect of next year's play wiped out via lockout, the last place team(s) this year may be in the hunt for selecting BOTH Ovechkin and Crosby (depending how the league chooses to draft in the absence of a season). It's hard to root against the Sabres and/or the Bills, but the bottom line is not just being in the game it's actually winning the big one once in our lives.

Old
12-20-2003, 06:18 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

vCash: 500
point taken, but you don't have to draft high to draft well
look at detroit- they've picked at the end of the first round for a long time and recently gotten guys like zetterberg, hudler, fischer, datsyuk
calgary, on the other hand, has picked at the front of the first round for a long time and have jack to show for it

i suppose it is a matter of opinion, but i would rather have the sabres remain competitive and have a crack scouting squad than tank and draft in the top 5

Old
12-20-2003, 09:46 PM
RattledSABRE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres

i suppose it is a matter of opinion, but i would rather have the sabres remain competitive and have a crack scouting squad than tank and draft in the top 5
Our scouting squad has been on crack alright.Tanking really is the only option until you change the coach.With Ruff still here no one will listen.If becuase of cash they want to wait out the season and the following lock out year before making any moves then that is okay with me.I'd rather see them get the right man ofr the job instead of rushing for the sake of change.

Closed Thread