HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Odds and Ends

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Odds and Ends

In 30 games this year the $2.9 million dollar man Todd Marchant is 3-12-15 and –8. While we certainly miss Marchant’s PK skills - he’s clearly not $2.1 million better than his replacement Marty Reasoner. I also think this is more evidence that having a recent 60 point season as a center in Edmonton may be more about the amount of total ice time, quality of ice time (amount of PP time) and quality of linemates than raw talent (note to the small number of folks who dislike the Comrie trade). Unless Comrie eventually ends up with an expansion team or bottom-dweller where he gets the red carpet treatment (like he received in Edmonton after Weight left) I doubt he puts up numbers similar to his 01-02 season any time soon. He certainly won’t in Philly given their depth at center and Hitch’s system.

Jani Rita is 8-11-19 and +7 in 23 games in Toronto this year. He leads the team in both points (tied with Wright) and +/-. The plus-minus stat is most interesting to me as he is way above the other offensive players on the team (Wright has as many points but is a –5). Time to call Jani up and send Stoll down as soon as Reasoner is healthy because he’s obviously playing well at both ends of the rink.

Anyone else think Isbister would look great on RW with Moreau and Reasoner – that would be one damn fine 3rd line IMHO. Yeah I know he’s overpaid but if Izzy could be defensively responsible, physical and pop 20 goals in that role it would be a huge asset. Maybe he could sign a contract like Moreau’s for less dollars but more years next summer so that the paycheck and on-ice contribution match up better. This would also allow us to trade Laraque and have Pisani/Rita share the 4th line RW slot for the rest of the season.

Old
12-20-2003, 11:36 AM
woody

Asiaiol, you made some good points

Marchant is overpaid by alot. He is a 30 to 40 point player and is no better then a 3rd line center on a good team

Rita - it might be time to call him up as long as Jani is playing on one of the top two lines.

Stoll - When Reasoner does came back to the line-up it would be wise to have Jared play 20 minutes per game in Toronto. Horcoff has played better of late and it makes sense to just kep him there.

Old
12-20-2003, 12:21 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
Asiaiol, you made some good points

Marchant is overpaid by alot. He is a 30 to 40 point player and is no better then a 3rd line center on a good team

Rita - it might be time to call him up as long as Jani is playing on one of the top two lines.

Stoll - When Reasoner does came back to the line-up it would be wise to have Jared play 20 minutes per game in Toronto. Horcoff has played better of late and it makes sense to just kep him there.

Agreed on all 3 counts. Rita is putting up some great numbers and deserves a shot here. He has a great shot and if he can get a passer on his line he could light it up. And we have plenty of those in York, Oates, and Hemsky.

Stoll, I really like him and look forward to years of service from him, but it comes down to numbers. He doesn't have to clear waivers and honestly, Horc has looked great the last few games. I though he was hands down our best forard against Minnie. Stoll has learned a lot up here and will know what he needs to work on down in TO playing 20+ min a game.

I agree with all these moves. After Reasoner is back

Smyth - York - Hemsky
Rita - Oates - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Torres - Horcoff - Isbister

I like it!

Closed Thread