HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Calgary vs Nashville

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the standings
Calgary 46 53.49%
Nashville 40 46.51%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Redrum

vCash: 500
You guys kill me!!!

Old
12-21-2003, 08:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon
You guys kill me!!!
oh, alright. what's next? you're going to use EA NHL hockey ratings to back up your argument?

"dooood, Iginla is like a 90, and vokoun is only an EIGHTY!"'''

Old
12-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Cain

I am continually surprised at how little respect calgary gets. Seriously.

Nashville is a good team, with a nice future, but calgary at this point is better.

Old
12-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Youreallygotme

calgary owns. sutter has drilled their gameplan into the back of their minds, and it wasnt working at first, but with a bit of confidence, theyre showing what theyre truly made of. And wtf they are missing so many players. nashville is impressive right now too. but for this choice, calgary. for now, and its about tied for future

Old
12-21-2003, 10:46 PM
macho232

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Rick Nash has only been good for a year. Does that make him any less of a goal scorer?

Vokoun's only been good for a year because you don't follow the Predators. He's only been good for a year to outsiders because he finally unseated the franchise goalie in Dunham a year ago. He was superb in backup duty for the Preds for several years. Fans have been calling for him to be the starter since 2001.

And I could comment that Iginla had one fluke year and is nothing but a legit 65-70 point man. Which would make him a very good but not great forward. A case can be made for Vokoun, you cannot deny that. Whether you agree with it or not, you have to throw your Calgary leanings aside and fess up to that.
If Iginla had a true #1 center, he would get 40 goals and 90 points every year.

Old
12-22-2003, 01:22 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by macho232
This poll was presented to us about a month ago, and I was surprised to see the results. I now want to give all those Nashville fans a chance to rethink what they were saying. Nashville has the youngest team in the league and in time this will show. Nashville might have a brighter future, but for now the flames are the team to beat.
Why is this poll being created again? Because you didn’t like the outcome of the first poll? Because you couldn’t stand the fact that maybe a few people on here thought that just possibly Nashville could end up being in the playoffs over Calgary so you had to start a new poll to try to get people to vote for Calgary now? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen!

Since, as you say, “for now the flames are the team to beat,” I guess we’ll be doing another poll all over again next month when Calgary isn’t the team to beat anymore.

Here’s the original poll with the results from then. Why didn’t you just put your thoughts on this poll? That way, other people could come and tell why they still think one would make it and the other wouldn’t or why they would change their vote to another team. Right now it just seems like you couldn’t handle the results of the original poll.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=33321

Old
12-22-2003, 06:53 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
If Iginla had a true #1 center, he would get 40 goals and 90 points every year.

If Vokoun had NJ's team in front of him, he'd be a serious Vezina candidate every year.

Old
12-22-2003, 07:05 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Are you serious? Do I really have to explain everything?

Here goes: Rick Nash was the 1st overall pick last year. Vokoun was a 9th rounder 9 years ago and they broke out at the same time. Vokoun was good one year, Iginla was the best in the league one year. Vokoun's good but what are you basing it on? The last 20 games? BTW there are no Calgary "leanings" so don't go down that waaaaaay overused road I'm just telling it how it is.
And yes, you do need to explain everything. You are living in some Calgarian utopia if you don't think it's atleast debatable. Vokoun only broke out because he finally got media attention and unseated our million dollar man. You can ***** all you want that he was drafted in the 9th round and took 5 years to get going. I guess we should have told Hasek to go home. Bottom line is they have both had 1 good year (your attack against Vokoun). If you don't like the example, come up with a better argument to begin with.

I'm basing it over the past 2 years. Vokoun has been one of the premier goalies in the league. He plays behind this 'really bad' defense and puts up great numbers and wins games. Iginla, in the past 2 years, has scored 67 points and is one pace for 61 points this year. Not exactly All-Star material if it wasn't for his career year.

And I'll play the Calgary leanings card so long as you continue to be a major Calgary (and Edmonton) fan. Considering every one of your posts seems to involve one or the other.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:12 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
oh, so when you're drafted is a barometer for how good you are? tell that to hasek.
Or Brett Hull a 6th rounder or Luc Robitaille drafted in the 9th or Robert Lang in the 7th or Peter Bondra in the 8th or Donald Audette in the 9th or say Theo Fleury drafted in the 8th.

BTW Vokoun has been pretty decent since the 99-00 season. Trading Dunham last November was one of the greatest moves the Preds have made in their breif existance.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Redrum

Quote:
And yes, you do need to explain everything. You are living in some Calgarian utopia if you don't think it's atleast debatable. Vokoun only broke out because he finally got media attention and unseated our million dollar man. You can ***** all you want that he was drafted in the 9th round and took 5 years to get going. I guess we should have told Hasek to go home. Bottom line is they have both had 1 good year (your attack against Vokoun). If you don't like the example, come up with a better argument to begin with.

I'm basing it over the past 2 years. Vokoun has been one of the premier goalies in the league. He plays behind this 'really bad' defense and puts up great numbers and wins games. Iginla, in the past 2 years, has scored 67 points and is one pace for 61 points this year. Not exactly All-Star material if it wasn't for his career year.

And I'll play the Calgary leanings card so long as you continue to be a major Calgary (and Edmonton) fan. Considering every one of your posts seems to involve one or the other.
*sigh* Ok Vokoun had one good year, Iginla had one GREAT year and about 5 good years.

Modano hasn't had a good year, is Vokoun better than him? If you base it on the last few months yes, But then I could say that Shean Donovan is the best player on both teams, Or that Miika Kiprusoff is better than Vokoun. Yes, there are a lot of ways you can twist it. Your Rick Nash comment was unfair because he was drafted last year and just started playing, Vokoun broke out 8 years after being drafted. C'mon don't be a player hater (by player I mean me not Iginla).

Old
12-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its seems that people seem to think that having an "elite" forward is better than an "elite" goalie. Why? Is not goaltending the most important position in the game?

First of all, Vokoun is an elite goalie, while Iginla (while being in the upper echelon) is not one of the top 10 forwards. Also, goaltending is the most important position in the game. This is why Nashville is probably better than the Flames. They have an elite goaltender, that can carry them on his backs. He proved it last year. He is also a workhorse, and started the 38 final games last season. Iginla is good. Heck, he is a much coveted forward. However, I would not even rank him in my top 15 forwards, nor consider him as a game-breaker.

On the injury issues:

You cannot just judge a player on his statistics. Andreas was the Predators leading scorer last year. He is their ONLY goal-scorer on the entire team. This has a huge impact in the offensive department. Schnabel and Kloucek were the ONLY crease-clearing defensemen, and with them out, the Preds have been burned several times b/c of their inability to move parked forwards. Obviously, the Predators defensive play has suffered without a physical presecense....Walker is our unsaid leader on the team. With him out, we went on a huge road-game skid going 0 - 5 on the road. With his return, we started a huge 6 game winning streak. Now, I am not naive, and saying that Team A's injuries are worse than Team B's, but I am saying that injuries have played a big part, just like in Calgary, torwards the team's survival. When your top line goes down to injury (and your not a goal-scoring team to begin with), it really is going to hurt your ability to win games.

All this being said, I will again say that Vokoun is what gives the Predators the edge over the Flames. We all saw what happens when a goaltender goes on a roll (just look at Giguere in the playoffs last year). With Vokoun on his game, the Predators are all but unbeatable..This is not a knock on Calgary in any way, shape, or form. I just feel that an elite goaltender gives any close team the edge over teams without one.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Red Bull

Quote:
*sigh* Ok Vokoun had one good year, Iginla had one GREAT year and about 5 good years.

Modano hasn't had a good year, is Vokoun better than him? If you base it on the last few months yes, But then I could say that Shean Donovan is the best player on both teams, Or that Miika Kiprusoff is better than Vokoun. Yes, there are a lot of ways you can twist it. Your Rick Nash comment was unfair because he was drafted last year and just started playing, Vokoun broke out 8 years after being drafted. C'mon don't be a player hater (by player I mean me not Iginla).
That's a good point, IF you base it on the last couple years then the two are comparable, but even then Vokoun isn't necessarily better. But then you could base it on the last couple of games, or the last THREE years, or even their entire career, then Jarome obviously takes it.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Im sticking with my original vote and saying Nasville

Old
12-22-2003, 10:42 AM
berney fkaj

I say Calgary has the better shot of making the playoffs, but what does it matter, neither team will. And in the future we won't have to debate this silly question, because Nashville will be much better.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by berney fkaj
I say Calgary has the better shot of making the playoffs, but what does it matter, neither team will. And in the future we won't have to debate this silly question, because Nashville will be much better.
Touche

Who do you think will make it over both of them, as they are both in the playoff hunt.

Old
12-22-2003, 12:06 PM
macho232

[QUOTE=spank303]Why is this poll being created again? Because you didn’t like the outcome of the first poll? Because you couldn’t stand the fact that maybe a few people on here thought that just possibly Nashville could end up being in the playoffs over Calgary so you had to start a new poll to try to get people to vote for Calgary now? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen!

Since, as you say, “for now the flames are the team to beat,” I guess we’ll be doing another poll all over again next month when Calgary isn’t the team to beat anymore.

Here’s the original poll with the results from then. Why didn’t you just put your thoughts on this poll? That way, other people could come and tell why they still think one would make it and the other wouldn’t or why they would change their vote to another team. Right now it just seems like you couldn’t handle the results of the original poll.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=33321[/Q

That poll was in the past, this poll is in the present. The results show that people are now giving the flames the respect they deserve. Maybe you can't handle the fact that people changed their mind and now think that the flames will finish higher than the preds. Go ahead and post this poll again in a month, the results will just get more lopsided for the flames.

Crosby versus Ovechkin polls keep getting posted on here, you don't see me crying a river about it. Things change and sometimes people can be wrong and change their mind. The problem is some people can't admit when their wrong.

Old
12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
macho232

Quote:
If Vokoun had NJ's team in front of him, he'd be a serious Vezina candidate every year.
Or the flames, they lead the league in shots against.

Old
12-22-2003, 01:42 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Or the flames, they lead the league in shots against.

Hell, if he started on pretty much any team other than an expansion team, he'd a be a legit Vezina candidate. As it is, he'll happily settle into obscurity.

Old
12-22-2003, 03:47 PM
macho232

Quote:
Hell, if he started on pretty much any team other than an expansion team, he'd a be a legit Vezina candidate. As it is, he'll happily settle into obscurity.

He isn't a Vezina candidate this year with Nashville. I find it funny how in the last poll Nashville's defence is better than Calgary's and now Vokoun is the best player on either team. Yet Calgary's goals against is way better. Something doesn't sound right here.

Old
12-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Red Bull

I like what Nashville has done in a short time, but Calgary's sytem looks really good right now and for the future. I'll go with them.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
He isn't a Vezina candidate this year with Nashville. I find it funny how in the last poll Nashville's defence is better than Calgary's and now Vokoun is the best player on either team. Yet Calgary's goals against is way better. Something doesn't sound right here.
Vokoun is the best player on either team. I would say he is the only true game-breaker on either team, with Iginla close behind.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:39 PM
icarus

Wow, you guys really do think Vokoun is the bee's knees, don't you? Not that I disagree, but I think this would make another interesting poll...

Old
12-23-2003, 09:02 AM
Red Bull

Vokouns numbers aren't as good as I thought compared to a lot of other goalies: 916% Sv % and 2.36 GAA. He just had that one hot streak but he's cooling off now.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:05 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

or

he had a slow start to the season, but has been getting hotter.

OH.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Red Bull

Mmmm no, he's cooled off lately.

Closed Thread