HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Calgary vs Nashville

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the standings
Calgary 46 53.49%
Nashville 40 46.51%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 08:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
alright, fan of another team that never watches our games.

i'll take your word for it, then!

Old
12-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Mmmm no, he's cooled off lately.
You're insane. He absolutely ROBBED the Red Wings all night long and put up a shutout. He STOLE a point from the Canucks game after making a RIDICULOUS save off of Brent Sopel with seconds left in the 3rd.

Anyhow, I love both teams (Calgary probobly more), but I have to stick with Nashville. I'm sure Flames fans won't like this, but I think both teams actually have a decent shot at making the playoffs.

Both teams have excellent coaches. Sutter is a canidate for the Adams right now, and Trotz has been one of the more underrated coaches for years.

Obviously the goaltending situation in Calgary is precarious. Right now, Kiprusoff has been white-hot, but if Kipper's story continues anything like it did in San Jose, he could go cold real quick. Turek is injured and McLennan has had his ups and downs. Vokoun on the other hand is one of the top goaltenders in the league (could be a Vezina canidate this year perhaps), though their backup situation could be better.

Offensivly, I think both of these teams are pretty much a wash.

Defensivly, you've got to give the edge to Calgary, though the Preds are better than what they show on paper, too.

All in all, I think both teams are pretty darn equal, but the goaltending edge is huge, and I've absolutely got to give it to Nashville. It's real close mind you.

Also, Charon, I suggest you watch some Preds games. Some of your comments here are one step away from the lunatic fringe.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Red Bull

Hmm another fan that doesn't listen to his own words. You should try watching other teams before you judge something, or maybe watch your own team because Vokoun has cooled off compared to a couple weeks ago, and yes I have watched Nashville lately.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
You're insane. He absolutely ROBBED the Red Wings all night long and put up a shutout. He STOLE a point from the Canucks game after making a RIDICULOUS save off of Brent Sopel with seconds left in the 3rd.

Anyhow, I love both teams (Calgary probobly more), but I have to stick with Nashville. I'm sure Flames fans won't like this, but I think both teams actually have a decent shot at making the playoffs.

Both teams have excellent coaches. Sutter is a canidate for the Adams right now, and Trotz has been one of the more underrated coaches for years.

Obviously the goaltending situation in Calgary is precarious. Right now, Kiprusoff has been white-hot, but if Kipper's story continues anything like it did in San Jose, he could go cold real quick. Turek is injured and McLennan has had his ups and downs. Vokoun on the other hand is one of the top goaltenders in the league (could be a Vezina canidate this year perhaps), though their backup situation could be better.

Offensivly, I think both of these teams are pretty much a wash.

Defensivly, you've got to give the edge to Calgary, though the Preds are better than what they show on paper, too.

All in all, I think both teams are pretty darn equal, but the goaltending edge is huge, and I've absolutely got to give it to Nashville. It's real close mind you.

Also, Charon, I suggest you watch some Preds games. Some of your comments here are one step away from the lunatic fringe.
Calm down, if you look at two weeks ago he had about a 980 save % in a 10 game period. It's a little lower now. I'm not saying he's bad so take it easy. Holy crap you guys are touchy!

Old
12-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Hitman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Vokoun is the best player on either team. I would say he is the only true game-breaker on either team, with Iginla close behind.
Iginla is THE game-breaker. In every major championship he's played in, he's been Mr. Clutch. Memorial Cup, World Juniors, Olympic Gold Medal game. Iginla is the best game breaker on either team with Vokoun close behind.

-------------------

neways, to the main topic.

Calgary will be better this year. We have the best player (Iginla), the better coach and a system that is killing other teams.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Nashville will have an excellent team in the future (a scary good team). Hamhuis, Suter, Klein on defense, a young forward group thats ready to break out, Scottie Upshall will become one of the greatest heart and soul players ever. I love the way this franchise has been run and they will be very good in the future.

I hope both teams make it and if they continue the way they're playing, they both will. But Calgary just has the edge right now in experience, coaching and better talent as a group, especially on defense.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:24 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hmm another fan that doesn't listen to his own words. You should try watching other teams before you judge something, or maybe watch your own team because Vokoun has cooled off compared to a couple weeks ago, and yes I have watched Nashville lately.
Mizral is a Nashville fan?

Old
12-23-2003, 01:18 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I'm sure Flames fans won't like this, but I think both teams actually have a decent shot at making the playoffs.
Why wouldn't we like that? I don't care who makes the playoffs as long as the Flames are in.

Old
12-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Mizral is a Nashville fan?
I don't know but nomorekids is.

Old
12-23-2003, 05:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Sorry I put the wrong quote in it should have been this one

Quote:
Calm down, if you look at two weeks ago he had about a 980 save % in a 10 game period. It's a little lower now. I'm not saying he's bad so take it easy. Holy crap you guys are touchy!

Old
12-24-2003, 12:59 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by macho232

That poll was in the past, this poll is in the present. The results show that people are now giving the flames the respect they deserve. Maybe you can't handle the fact that people changed their mind and now think that the flames will finish higher than the preds. Go ahead and post this poll again in a month, the results will just get more lopsided for the flames.
You want to talk about respect? Please! I bet over half of the people on here will never think of Nashville as more than a crappy expansion team no matter how well they ever do. No, see I donít care about what others think about who will make it and who wonít. I like to see the numbers on the polls, but I never take them as truth (thereĎs not many people on here whoĎs judgment I actually trust). I donít care if both polls said 1000-0 for Calgary. If a poll doesnít happen to go the way I think it should, I donít go crying and starting another poll just to say, look you were all wrong. If people want to change their vote, fine with me, go ahead. Besides, the results arenít exactly that lopsided (27/50 Cal.-23/50 Nvl.). I just wonder why you couldnít post it in the other poll, present your arguments for why Calgary will make it and the Predators will not (not that you did in the original post, except to say Nashville is young and Calgary is the current team to beat) saying what a run Calgary has been on, why it will continue and anything else you find relevant. Then you could have people come on there and say ďHey youĎre right, maybe Calgary will make it,Ē or ďDespite Calgaryís run, which could just turn out to be a hot streak that will end, Iím sticking with Nashville.Ē If the team trends were reversed and Calgary was winning the first poll by a lopsided margin, I wouldnít be making a new poll to say they were wrong and all hail Nashville. But if this all about just seeing Calgary beat Nashville in a poll question so you feel respect for your team, then please, go ahead, keep making a new poll with the same question every 20 days. Why not do this poll with Calgary and Minnesota? The Wild are a pretty hot team right now, too (4-0-2 in their last 6).

Quote:
Crosby versus Ovechkin polls keep getting posted on here, you don't see me crying a river about it. Things change and sometimes people can be wrong and change their mind. The problem is some people can't admit when their wrong.
As far as Crosby and Ovechkin go, I donít care about those polls. Neither one of them will be in the NHL for at least a year or 2 depending on if there is a lockout, how long it takes to resolve, and if they are able to get signed by their drafted team. At this moment, and this season, neither of them have anything to do with my team so I donít even bother to read them. Thereís just too many and theyíre basically going to all be the same, which, surprise surprise, is probably why there are less than half the number of voters here than in the first one.

Oh and one more thing, I can admit when Iím wrong: I didnít think Nashville would beat Detroit last Saturday, let alone win 1-0. I didnít think Anaheim would sweep Detroit, or be the Western Conf. Champs. I didnít think Minnesota would be in the playoffs, or make it to the Conference Finals. I didnít think Atlanta would be at the top of their division right now. I didnít think Calgary would do as well as they are doing right now and I certainly didnít expect either of the 2 polls to be in any kind of favor towards Nashville, I didnĎt think they would even be close. Donít cry to me about people not admitting when they were wrong.

Quote:
Maybe you can't handle the fact that people changed their mind and now think that the flames will finish higher than the preds.
And here all this time I thought this was about which team would make it to the playoffs, like the original poll you base this poll on. Guess I was wrong again. Calgary very well could finish higher than Nashville, I have no problem with that (as you seem to think that I do). But I also think Nashville AND Calgary have a good chance to make it to the playoffs themselves. But which one has the better chance, well itís almost too close to call right now and in 4 months a lot could change.

Old
12-24-2003, 03:47 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Both will make it in and get some fresh blood into the playoffs.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:19 PM
macho232

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
You want to talk about respect? Please! I bet over half of the people on here will never think of Nashville as more than a crappy expansion team no matter how well they ever do. No, see I donít care about what others think about who will make it and who wonít. I like to see the numbers on the polls, but I never take them as truth (thereĎs not many people on here whoĎs judgment I actually trust). I donít care if both polls said 1000-0 for Calgary. If a poll doesnít happen to go the way I think it should, I donít go crying and starting another poll just to say, look you were all wrong. If people want to change their vote, fine with me, go ahead. Besides, the results arenít exactly that lopsided (27/50 Cal.-23/50 Nvl.). I just wonder why you couldnít post it in the other poll, present your arguments for why Calgary will make it and the Predators will not (not that you did in the original post, except to say Nashville is young and Calgary is the current team to beat) saying what a run Calgary has been on, why it will continue and anything else you find relevant. Then you could have people come on there and say ďHey youĎre right, maybe Calgary will make it,Ē or ďDespite Calgaryís run, which could just turn out to be a hot streak that will end, Iím sticking with Nashville.Ē If the team trends were reversed and Calgary was winning the first poll by a lopsided margin, I wouldnít be making a new poll to say they were wrong and all hail Nashville. But if this all about just seeing Calgary beat Nashville in a poll question so you feel respect for your team, then please, go ahead, keep making a new poll with the same question every 20 days. Why not do this poll with Calgary and Minnesota? The Wild are a pretty hot team right now, too (4-0-2 in their last 6).

As far as Crosby and Ovechkin go, I donít care about those polls. Neither one of them will be in the NHL for at least a year or 2 depending on if there is a lockout, how long it takes to resolve, and if they are able to get signed by their drafted team. At this moment, and this season, neither of them have anything to do with my team so I donít even bother to read them. Thereís just too many and theyíre basically going to all be the same, which, surprise surprise, is probably why there are less than half the number of voters here than in the first one.

Oh and one more thing, I can admit when Iím wrong: I didnít think Nashville would beat Detroit last Saturday, let alone win 1-0. I didnít think Anaheim would sweep Detroit, or be the Western Conf. Champs. I didnít think Minnesota would be in the playoffs, or make it to the Conference Finals. I didnít think Atlanta would be at the top of their division right now. I didnít think Calgary would do as well as they are doing right now and I certainly didnít expect either of the 2 polls to be in any kind of favor towards Nashville, I didnĎt think they would even be close. Donít cry to me about people not admitting when they were wrong.

And here all this time I thought this was about which team would make it to the playoffs, like the original poll you base this poll on. Guess I was wrong again. Calgary very well could finish higher than Nashville, I have no problem with that (as you seem to think that I do). But I also think Nashville AND Calgary have a good chance to make it to the playoffs themselves. But which one has the better chance, well itís almost too close to call right now and in 4 months a lot could change.
For someone who doesn't care, sure had alot to say. The reason why I made the poll who will finish higher in the standings is because I think both teams are going to make the playoffs. I posted a poll Nagy vs Havlat which landslide favoured Havlat. Now that Nagy is lighting it up someone reposted the poll. Did I get bitter, no. I thought it was a good idea because I wanted to see if the results were different. If you don't like my poll, keep your comments to yourself. I want peoples opinions on the topic, not comments on how dumb the poll is. Just because your a member of hockeysfuture doesn't mean you have to participate in all the polls. There is alot of dumb polls on here I don't like, so I don't vote on them.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:29 AM
c-carp

I voted for the Flames they will be solid if they can keep Iggy and get goaltending from Kipprasoff.

Old
01-17-2004, 07:49 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Just a brief update...

The Preds are 22-16-6-2 for 52 points in 46 games.

The Flames are 22-15-4-3 for 51 points in 44 games.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 01-17-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old
01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Turek's back in the lineup. Now we can see if he was actually an important injury (as some where suggesting) or if it was a blessing in disguise? Personally, I think this injury was the best thing that could happen to the Flames. It woke them up, and made their backups, step up their game.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Turek's back in the lineup. Now we can see if he was actually an important injury (as some where suggesting) or if it was a blessing in disguise? Personally, I think this injury was the best thing that could happen to the Flames. It woke them up, and made their backups, step up their game.

agreed. if i were the flames, i'd pray that he gets hurt again. mcclennan\kipper are a large part of why this team is doing so well, and i think turek going down was the best thing that ever happened to them.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i do think it's interesting that at the beginning of the season...Flames and Preds fans argued about who would sneak into the 8th spot and who would be the bottom of the Conference. Who would have thought they'd be 7 and 6(respectively) with a comfortable margin between themselves and 8th?

Old
01-18-2004, 09:07 PM
OMA

Calgary's slowly starting to get healthy. Reinprecht and Conroy are back. Iginla is day-to day and may play tomorrow. Turek's back. The Yelle and Kiprusoff injuries are of major concern though.

As for the return of Turek, it's gonna be interesting. Sutter has laid down the challenge for Turek in the form of 10 games before the all-star break. This stretch could realistically define the rest of his NHL career. I'd rather have Turek in net than Mclennan though. Jamie's a great guy, but he's not capable of being a starter. Like him or not, Turek is capable. Whether he does or not is a different story altogether. This will be Turek's first chance to play in front of the vastly improved Calgary defence though, so he'd better put up some good numbers... Realistically, I just want Kiprusoff healthy.

As for Calgary VS. Nashville. It's going to be close. They seem to be very similar teams. Both teams have sub-standard forward groups IMO. Calgary has the advantage on defence, while Vokoun is clearly the best goalie between the two clubs.

I think both clubs will make it in the 7 and 8 spots. Not sure about the order yet though..

Old
01-24-2004, 02:46 PM
macho232

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Just a brief update...

The Preds are 22-16-6-2 for 52 points in 46 games.

The Flames are 22-15-4-3 for 51 points in 44 games.

The flames 55 points in 47 games 113 GF 97 GA

The Preds 54 points in 48 Games 113 GF 120 GA

Calgary 4 Nashville 0, Turek with the SO, Vokoun yanked after 2 Periods.

Old
01-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Sec of Partying Down

I'll take the Flames nothing really has changed since I posted the first poll. It should be a great fight for that sixth spot and a chance to play the Sharks, who might be worse than both teams.

Old
01-24-2004, 07:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
The flames 55 points in 47 games 113 GF 97 GA

The Preds 54 points in 48 Games 113 GF 120 GA

Calgary 4 Nashville 0, Turek with the SO, Vokoun yanked after 2 Periods.

so the series is even at 1-1. you can't neglect to acknowledge that. Preds 4-1.

also...don't overlook the fact that Legwand and Timonen missed most of the game. Our best forward and our best defenseman, not that it would have made a whole lot of difference.

Closed Thread