HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Preissing vs. Poti

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2007, 11:48 AM
  #1
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,689
vCash: 500
Preissing vs. Poti

Poti will cost at least 3 Mil per season for a multi year deal, Preissing is an UFA who should get 2.5 per over a multi year deal. Who would you rather have?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 11:51 AM
  #2
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
didnt poti cost 2.5 this year? i cant see him asking for 500k more, especially if its a multiyear deal.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 11:53 AM
  #3
RafterRat
Registered User
 
RafterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Wales
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
Although Poti played well this year I would go with Preissing.

RafterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
  #4
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafterRat View Post
Although Poti played well this year I would go with Preissing.
agreed.

preissing shoots.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:00 PM
  #5
raskolnikov
Registered User
 
raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LI
Country: Ireland
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to raskolnikov
pressing also had a very nice +-.

raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:02 PM
  #6
Jones23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vernon B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Poti

He was argueably the best Isles defenseman this year.Losing his minutes in ice time would be a huge loss.

2 years...6 million

Jones23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
  #7
My friend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Poti made $2.75 mil this year, if I remember correctly. I would like to see an upgrade over Poti, but honestly, if he signs a deal averaging $3-3.25 mil per AND we get a Nick Boynton to pair with him, I'd welcome him back.

Trotts. was the first to call for signing Poti last summer (waaaaay before we signed him) and though I disliked the move at the time, Trotts was right about him.

The key for me is balancing Poti with a smart, mobil, and physical stay at homer. That way, Witt-Martinek becomes our 2nd pairing, and MAB-Gervais our 3rd pairing. together with one of Campoli OR Meyer, and Hill for depth, we should be good next year on D.

I'd rather persue some more beef on the right side than Preissing. We're already a bit waifish there to begin with.

My friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:22 PM
  #8
Atrivis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mamaroneck, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
Poti has gotta shoot more AND hit the net. But, in reality, he was a very capable defender who had some very good sprawling sweep checks and plays good, positional hockey. He seems comfortable here, and I would almost hate to change that for a player we currently don't have that is relatively on par with Tom. I would rather have the known quantity. But that's just me. As long as it's for a small increase!!!

Atrivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:24 PM
  #9
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivis View Post
Poti has gotta shoot more AND hit the net. But, in reality, he was a very capable defender who had some very good sprawling sweep checks and plays good, positional hockey. He seems comfortable here, and I would almost hate to change that for a player we currently don't have that is relatively on par with Tom. I would rather have the known quantity. But that's just me. As long as it's for a small increase!!!
I agree Atrivis. He is a very solid dman. A lot better than I expected.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:45 PM
  #10
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Even if you think Preissing is better, the difference isn't by nearly enough to care. We already know Poti fits in here and will play well. We don't know that about Preissing. I don't see there being enough upside to take the risk that Preissing simply isn't as good for us as he was for Ottawa. Both are guys that have basically had one good season a long development -- I'll stick with the devil we know.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
  #11
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,476
vCash: 500
Continuity from year-to-year matters on a roster. At least an NHL roster (not fantasy).

If his demands are reasonable, retaining Poti is an off-season priority for this franchise.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:38 PM
  #12
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Preissing and it's not even close, IMO.

This team doesn't need offensive defensemen. We need defensive defensemen that can chip in on offense.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
  #13
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Preissing and it's not even close, IMO.

This team doesn't need offensive defensemen. We need defensive defensemen that can chip in on offense.

Poti does chip in on offense. He was 21st in the league in defensemen scoring with 44 points. I know it's maddening how he refuses to shoot the puck, but he does a nice job in the transition game and can run a PP.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:48 PM
  #14
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Poti does chip in on offense. He was 21st in the league in defensemen scoring with 44 points. I know it's maddening how he refuses to shoot the puck, but he does a nice job in the transition game and can run a PP.
Exactly.

He's not a defensive defenseman...

Which is what the Islanders need.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
  #15
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Preissing and it's not even close, IMO.

This team doesn't need offensive defensemen. We need defensive defensemen that can chip in on offense.
Huh? Are you calling Preissing a defensive defenseman? Don't let Preissing's +/- fool you, he's anything but a defensive D.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:53 PM
  #16
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Huh? Are you calling Preissing a defensive defenseman? Don't let Preissing's +/- fool you, he's anything but a defensive D.
Hmm..whenever I saw him, I saw him as a very good defenseman who chips in on offense...

WHatever. My targets are Cory Sarich and Scott Hannan to replace Poti and Hill.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
  #17
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Hmm..whenever I saw him, I saw him as a very good defenseman who chips in on offense...

WHatever. My targets are Cory Sarich and Scott Hannan to replace Poti and Hill.
Personally, I think playing for Ottawa made him look better defensively than he actually is. But even then I didn't think he was any better than Poti in is his own zone, and Poti actually outpointed him. Not to mention, Poti led our entire team in assists -- he is not IMO and interchangeable part.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:00 PM
  #18
Jones23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vernon B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Exactly.

He's not a defensive defenseman...

Which is what the Islanders need.
Poti is a defensive defenseman with offense to his game.He is not the same player that broke into the NHL with the Oilers.He reminds me alot of Jonsson with his positional play with his body and stick.

Poti's defensive game does not get the credit it deserves!

Jones23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
  #19
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Personally, I think playing for Ottawa made him look better defensively than he actually is. But even then I didn't think he was any better than Poti in is his own zone, and Poti actually outpointed him. Not to mention, Poti led our entire team in assists -- he is not IMO and interchangeable part.
Playing for Ottawa definitely could make a player look better than he is - I think Brad Lukowich is a perfect example. He thrives in that NJ system.

I dunno...I don't see why people saw Poti as solid. I saw him as a soft defenseman, who NEVER shot, doesn't take the body. And if he misses that pokecheck, he's screwed. DP bailed him out a lot this season.

I think that Poti looked better in the NYI system because there was 4 defensemen with major deficiencies. JMO

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:09 PM
  #20
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Playing for Ottawa definitely could make a player look better than he is - I think Brad Lukowich is a perfect example. He thrives in that NJ system.

I dunno...I don't see why people saw Poti as solid. I saw him as a soft defenseman, who NEVER shot, doesn't take the body. And if he misses that pokecheck, he's screwed. DP bailed him out a lot this season.

I think that Poti looked better in the NYI system because there was 4 defensemen with major deficiencies. JMO
But he rarely missed that pokecheck, and even when he did, you still had to get past his big body -- easier said than done.

Yes, he's soft, and he often passed when he should've shot (then again, after leading the team in assists, it's kinda difficult to critisize his passing), but Preissing simply isn't an upgrade. He's also soft, and Poti took 134 shots this season to Preissing's 94. Preissing also didn't find himself in defensively critical spots nearly as often as Poti due to being on a team with a much much stronger team defense. I fear what would happen if he suddenly were put in the position Poti was.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:23 PM
  #21
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
But he rarely missed that pokecheck, and even when he did, you still had to get past his big body -- easier said than done.

Yes, he's soft, and he often passed when he should've shot (then again, after leading the team in assists, it's kinda difficult to critisize his passing), but Preissing simply isn't an upgrade. He's also soft, and Poti took 134 shots this season to Preissing's 94. Preissing also didn't find himself in defensively critical spots nearly as often as Poti due to being on a team with a much much stronger team defense. I fear what would happen if he suddenly were put in the position Poti was.
Fair. But again, I'm not looking at Preissing over Poti. I'm looking at Hannan over Poti.

The D offense will be fine with Bergeron and Martinek. Gervais will get PP time (he didn't during the season).

I think the big Achilles heel of this team was it's defense. We need shutdown guys like Hannan and Witt.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
  #22
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Fair. But again, I'm not looking at Preissing over Poti. I'm looking at Hannan over Poti.

The D offense will be fine with Bergeron and Martinek. Gervais will get PP time (he didn't during the season).

I think the big Achilles heel of this team was it's defense. We need shutdown guys like Hannan and Witt.
Fair enough, I'd love to get Hannan also, but that's not really the question at hand here. And it very possibly might not even be an option.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:48 PM
  #23
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Continuity from year-to-year matters on a roster. At least an NHL roster (not fantasy).

If his demands are reasonable, retaining Poti is an off-season priority for this franchise.
You stole my post!

I think the Isles need to pick up Poti. He played well, he knows the system, he's comfortable with the guys and he likes it on Long Island.

Even if Preissing was a minor upgrade, it's not worth tossing aside ANOTHER player who wants to be on Long Island.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
  #24
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov View Post
pressing also had a very nice +-.
+/- is a nice stat but alot of it has to do with the team you are on.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
  #25
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones23 View Post
Poti is a defensive defenseman with offense to his game.He is not the same player that broke into the NHL with the Oilers. He reminds me alot of Jonsson with his positional play with his body and stick.

Poti's defensive game does not get the credit it deserves!
Bingo. Poti came into the league a guy with a lot of skill and no game. And it took him, as it does many NHL dmen, several long years to find his role, his confidence. Like numerous other dman, he came in with high (unrealistic) expectations placed on him offensively. And he came in with a defensive game with holes.

He has matured. He now plays a quiet (and not overtly aggresive) game that is understated, but very efficient.

He is, in fact, based on this season, a solid positional dman. I'm not ready to make a KJ comparison, but put me on the record that the guy is an asset in his own zone who can contribute in the other end. No coincidence why Nolan paired him with the defensively suspect Bergeron.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.