HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Preissing vs. Poti

Old
04-29-2007, 02:58 PM
discostu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Personally, I think playing for Ottawa made him look better defensively than he actually is. But even then I didn't think he was any better than Poti in is his own zone, and Poti actually outpointed him. Not to mention, Poti led our entire team in assists -- he is not IMO and interchangeable part.
Preissing is an intelligent defender, who does benefit from Ottawa's system. Still, it is an achievement to have that plus/minus. He didn't get it from doing nothing.

In Ottawa, he's a bottom pairing guy. Him and Corvo found some stability in that role, and play off each other well, being strong enough offensively and defensively, that they were encroaching on the struggling Redden and Meszaros ice time. But, defensively, they got the easiest match-ups, and, Preissing was actually the only guy on defence that never went through a period of being regularly used on the PK. He isn't physical in the slightest, being waifer thin.

But, good hockey smarts is why he's a good defenceman. He makes smart plays, and has a really good sense of when to join the rush.

If he goes elsewhere, he'll be a valuable asset, but, I agree with your sentiment, that if you have someone that fulfills that role, it makes no sense to replace it.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Bingo. Poti came into the league a guy with a lot of skill and no game. And it took him, as it does many NHL dmen, several long years to find his role, his confidence. Like numerous other dman, he came in with high (unrealisitic) expectations placed on him offensively. And he came in with a defensive game with holes.

He has matured. He now plays a quiet (and not overtly aggresive) game that is understated, but very efficient.

He is, in fact, based on this season, a solid positional dman. I'm not ready to make a KJ comparison, but put me on the record that the guy is an asset in his own zone. No coincidence why Nolan paired him with the defensively suspect Bergeron.
And that's the one thing I do give him credit for.

He IS very good positionally, but he has other flaws that I believe can be upgraded in the offseason.

The Islanders need a shutdown man in front of DiPietro this season. Only Witt and Hill took the body, and even they were slow sometimes to get there.

If Poti changed his game, not drastically, but used that huge body (that he was blessed with) in front of the net, I would have no qualms in re-signing him.

Idk, I feel that he was a fine stopgap for the time being, but it's time to upgrade - not keep a defensively suspect team the same.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 05:54 PM
raskolnikov

Send a message via AIM to raskolnikov
Who is under contract for next season on D? Witt Bergeron Martinek and Campoli?

raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskolnikov View Post
Who is under contract for next season on D? Witt Bergeron Martinek and Campoli?
cGervais also. But, campoli must be resigned, hes a RFA according to nhlnumbers

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
mitchy22

I like Poti. But please get him off the same PP as MAB, I swear Poti was shooting a lot more before we obtained MAB and it wasn't till I think the playoffs that I saw him attempt to shoot at the net again.

That said, for most of the year he was all around was one of our better defenseman.

I think Poti will stay for a reasonable raise. Some continuity isn't just good for teams it's sometimes good for players as well hard to keep uprooting your family though it is a part of pro sports.

Witt, Martinek, Gervais, Campoli, Poti.

The quality of player we can add to those 5 guys will be of huge importance to this team next year. How healthy Martinek is matters as well and we sure as hell are going to need a 7th guy that can step in considering how reliable Marty has been.

FM the IV isn't the answer. I'm not impressed with anything we can call up from the AHL. We need some NHL quality depth in this area pronto and I'm hoping the 6th player (assuming we hold on to Poti) is of higher pairing quality though obviously a lot of what happens this offseason concerning our UFAs will dictate how much we can spend and what type of players we can bring in.

Poor MAB I forgot him. That kind of leaves me at odds with myself. Maybe there's a trade to be made or maybe add MAB to the top and go to war with that??? Ugh, I've confused myself.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
And that's the one thing I do give him credit for.

He IS very good positionally, but he has other flaws that I believe can be upgraded in the offseason.

The Islanders need a shutdown man in front of DiPietro this season. Only Witt and Hill took the body, and even they were slow sometimes to get there.

If Poti changed his game, not drastically, but used that huge body (that he was blessed with) in front of the net, I would have no qualms in re-signing him.

Idk, I feel that he was a fine stopgap for the time being, but it's time to upgrade - not keep a defensively suspect team the same.
i think a shutdown d can be had while maintaning a smart player like Poti.

hannan-marty
witt-gervais
poti-bergeron

Old
04-29-2007, 06:14 PM
In Exisle

i like preissing but if we can bring poti back, then we have to go with poti. he fits in well with the team and we need some stability here on the back end.

as many people said before we need a guy like hannan. snow needs to be ALL OVER hannan the second free agency starts.

if we can't get him i think we may need to look into picking up 2 more solid vet D. i wouldn't mind having 7 NHL blue liners.. no matter how solid martinek is, it always seems like he finds a way to get hurt.

other guys i like are rivet, d. markov (andrei most likely won't be available), and sarich.

In Exisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 06:15 PM
mitchy22

So if we resign Poti, Marty is healthy?

Who do you trade? Campoli?

I'm kind of torn now. Campoli and Gervais are decent enough pairing IMHO, and by decent I mean they can improve and they're still cheap. So if that's our 2nd or 3rd pairing. Then we need to improve up top.

Martinek is great, if he can play all year and would be wonderful to pair with a top-4 guy. Personally, I'd like to see him alongside Witt.

So okay as I'm working thorugh this. Witt/Martinek. Campoli/Gervais.

MAB, Poti?

Honestly, now I'm thinking the only way we upgrade without a trade is if we take Poti's money and the money we are probably sure to save by losing one of our forwards via trade or free agency and we bring in a real top pairing guy?

Or do we keep Poti, and trade someone else and hope to upgrade their position?

Having thought about it now for a bit, I think it's still way too early to speculate on anything until the draft and as UFA day comes.

I can't even decide about Poti until I know what is going to happen to Smyth, Blake and whether or not we shed a salary at the draft.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 06:19 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Ironic, I was thinking about this comparison the other day.

Tough call, having watched both extensively this year. Pressings +/- is inflated by playing on one of the best goal-differential teams in the league.

Both are, stereotypically speaking, "soft," and both are positionally sound, but Poti's long reach makes him a better asset in that dept.

Poti has better vision, but Preissing has a better shot.

For me it's a wash, both bring different aspects to the table,but overall are evenly matched.

Remember, we are looking to upgrade our D.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 07:05 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

easy solution...sign both.

poti deserves it, earned it, and the team needs him. he played nolan's system well, and really performed. He's earned a main role...and yes, needs to have his shot and shooting worked on. With him and MAB both shooting it helps.

Preissing is a good dman, and the ISles are woeful on depth and I feel Campoli is very overrated.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Isles4ever11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Ironic, I was thinking about this comparison the other day.

Tough call, having watched both extensively this year. Pressings +/- is inflated by playing on one of the best goal-differential teams in the league.

Both are, stereotypically speaking, "soft," and both are positionally sound, but Poti's long reach makes him a better asset in that dept.

Poti has better vision, but Preissing has a better shot.

For me it's a wash, both bring different aspects to the table,but overall are evenly matched.

Remember, we are looking to upgrade our D.
Exactly. Poti was fine for a one-year stopgap, as was Hill - but like BI said, continuity may not be the answer.

You put Martinek in the equation - he is BOUND to get hurt. So now, you are pretty much set with a better D-man than Sean Hill. That's the improvement?

You put Poti and Bergeron in front of DiPietro, and the same thing happens as this year - guys in front having all day to put a rebound pass him (Buffalo Game 2 anyone?)

I love the idea of Hannan and Sarich. Put them with Witt, Bergeron, Gervais, and Marty (Campoli when he gets hurt) - you have a much better D than this year and one teams will be more "afraid" to go up against.

Old
04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Exactly. Poti was fine for a one-year stopgap, as was Hill - but like BI said, continuity may not be the answer.

You put Martinek in the equation - he is BOUND to get hurt. So now, you are pretty much set with a better D-man than Sean Hill. That's the improvement?

You put Poti and Bergeron in front of DiPietro, and the same thing happens as this year - guys in front having all day to put a rebound pass him (Buffalo Game 2 anyone?)

I love the idea of Hannan and Sarich. Put them with Witt, Bergeron, Gervais, and Marty (Campoli when he gets hurt) - you have a much better D than this year and one teams will be more "afraid" to go up against.
I still dont see why poti must go. hes solid in his own zone and is a huge help in teh o-zone. sign hannan or sarich, but keep poti. poti's play this year has shown him to be more than a one year stopgap. keep him.

Old
04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Isles4ever11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
I still dont see why poti must go. hes solid in his own zone and is a huge help in teh o-zone. sign hannan or sarich, but keep poti. poti's play this year has shown him to be more than a one year stopgap. keep him.
Not necessarily aimed at you, but can someone PLEASE tell me what made Poti so "solid?"

Fundamentally, he's awful. He's lucky he has a brain.

Old
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
isles1055

I say we just sign Hannan and resign Poti/campoli and make the lines:

Hannan/Poti
Witt/Marti
MAB/Gervais or campoli

Just have gervais and campoli battle for the spot and have one of them sub in when someone eventually gets injured. I want to keep hill but that suspension is just bad. Meyer imo should be cut/traded.

isles1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 09:16 PM
HumphreyBrogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles1055 View Post
I say we just sign Hannan and resign Poti/campoli and make the lines:

Hannan/Poti
Witt/Marti
MAB/Gervais or campoli

Just have gervais and campoli battle for the spot and have one of them sub in when someone eventually gets injured. I want to keep hill but that suspension is just bad. Meyer imo should be cut/traded.

I'm thinking along those lines as well. Everything would be so much easier if we could count on Marty playing a full season.

HumphreyBrogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 01:11 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:

I would not be even mildly abhorrent to retaining Poti, but also adding a quality number 1/2 rearguard via free agency/trade. A semblance of roster continuity is necessary in order to build on what has been created, but so are roster upgrades. Why not both?

As it stands, IMO there are better, more physical options available, superior to Preissing. We've mentioned Hannan's name quite a few times around these parts.

So I throw this scenerio out:

Hannan-Poti; Witt-Marty; MAB-Gervais (Campoli toils at Bridge for one year, and is the first call up). Perhaps bring in Simpson/Quint on a 2-way, depth.

Those are complementary pairs, that will show a nice balance of mobility and physicality. Gervais is defensively sound enough to cover MAB's blunders, IMO. Hannan and Poti provide the rough stuff, sound positioning and two-way play. And Witt/Marty *should be* the Witt/Marty we saw this past year. Interesting combos IMO.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 06:08 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
I would not be even mildly abhorrent to retaining Poti, but also adding a quality number 1/2 rearguard via free agency/trade. A semblance of roster continuity is necessary in order to build on what has been created, but so are roster upgrades. Why not both?

As it stands, IMO there are better, more physical options available, superior to Preissing. We've mentioned Hannan's name quite a few times around these parts.

So I throw this scenerio out:

Hannan-Poti; Witt-Marty; MAB-Gervais (Campoli toils at Bridge for one year, and is the first call up). Perhaps bring in Simpson/Quint on a 2-way, depth.

Those are complementary pairs, that will show a nice balance of mobility and physicality. Gervais is defensively sound enough to cover MAB's blunders, IMO. Hannan and Poti provide the rough stuff, sound positioning and two-way play. And Witt/Marty *should be* the Witt/Marty we saw this past year. Interesting combos IMO.
You are definitely right, we should be looking to upgrade our defense this offseason- not retaining all the same players. I like the idea of bringing in Hannan, he would be a good, solid guy back there. Poti played well for us this year, and I would definitely like to see him back- I think he brought a nice mix of offensive ability and solid work in his own zone. What about getting rid of Martinek and either bringing in someone else from the outside or retaining Hill? I just don't trust Martinek for another season, he has proven to be very unreliable at this point. I think he has some trade value, as he is a solid positional player. I still would like to see Hill back, unless we find out he was on some sort of legit performance enhancing drug and was actually knowingly cheating. But our defense definitely needs to be upgraded from the outside in some capacity.

Possibly a Meyer / Campoli / Martinek trio to Detriot for Lidstrom would do it?

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Continuity from year-to-year matters on a roster. At least an NHL roster (not fantasy).

If his demands are reasonable, retaining Poti is an off-season priority for this franchise.
agreed, if his demands are reasonable, I'd pay him. But, hey, why not ALSO add Preissing??? (that wasn't targetted to you, Trotts, btw -- was just a rhetorical Q.) I'd like to *improve* our defensive depth, not just keep it at the same level. Poti was mostly solid, but not really great at either end -- didn't shoot enough in the other end of the ice, and was not physical enough in our zone. IOW, fine as a 4, but really isn't a top or big minute dman. In addition, it was the complete inability of most of our D to clear our crease, Poti included, that led to Sean Hill getting way more minutes than he should. If we bring Poti back, we need to find another way to improve our play in the corners and in front of our net.

Ideally I'd prefer someone more physical and better at D than Preissing, but he'd still be an upgrade over giving heavy minutes to Campoli, Gervais or (yuk) FMIV. There should be little doubt at this point that you cannot count on Martinek being in your top 4 and that he WILL miss substantial time, and I don't want have as my Plan B giving heavy minutes to borderline AHLers like FMIV or Camps or guys who really need a much more responsible partner like MAB.

Personally, I'd like to see us add a very steady and preferably physical stay-at-home to pair with MAB, who is an asset in the other team's end but who coughs the puck up a bit too much in our end. I think if we could pair him with the right guy, MAB really could shine. However, if we sign Poti, there are precious few spots left to let us improve, b/c The Wonder Triplets (Camps, Gervais and FMIV) all are signed and out of options, and Witt, MAB and Marty are too -- that 6 right there. Somebody's gotta go if we're not gonna have just more of the same next year. Ideally I'd find a way to start Fearful Freddy Meyer IV in BP, and Camps too, so that we could keep Poti AND add a quality stay at home top 4 player.

EDIT -- I like the Hannan idea that BI suggests!

Last edited by Capt Reynolds: 04-30-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Fantom

I like the idea of trying to bring poti back here. I think when the NYR did not sign poti back he wanted to stay in by becuase he liked it no ?
He is not the worlds best player by any means. He is in the verry least a solid number 3 or 4 defender. i would take him back for 2 more years at the right price. say 3m each ?
I still do think that we would need to go out and grab anouther solid D man though.

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I think getting Hannan is a long shot. Teams are gonna be bidding hard for his services.

I still think that picking up Ossi Vaananen would accomplish the same thing, be cheaper and give the Isles more cap flexibility since you'd probably be able to get him for $2-2.25 million rather than the $4+ that Hannan will command.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I think getting Hannan is a long shot. Teams are gonna be bidding hard for his services.

I still think that picking up Ossi Vaananen would accomplish the same thing, be cheaper and give the Isles more cap flexibility since you'd probably be able to get him for $2-2.25 million rather than the $4+ that Hannan will command.
I think Vaananen would be another fine pickup for us. Takes the body, not flashy but responsible. Better than seeing Campoli or Gervais getting tons of minutes.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post

I do not see hannan getting more then 4+ on the open market. i would take a guess and say he get 3.5

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
I think Vaananen would be another fine pickup for us. Takes the body, not flashy but responsible. Better than seeing Campoli or Meyer getting tons of minutes.
edited it for ya

back on topic, i dont know vaananen that well so i cant offer an opinion on him. BUT, if he is what you say he is, im all for it. if not him then sarich whose fairly young (28 i think), won a cup, plays a gritty, smart game, and should be cheap.
witt-marty
gervais-sarich type palyer
poti-MAB

Old
04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Isles4ever11

You have to remember, if they resign Poti, it will be at least 3 million dollars, and there is no way he plays 3rd pairing minutes like some of you are suggesting...

Old
05-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I do not see hannan getting more then 4+ on the open market. i would take a guess and say he get 3.5
Did you see what Jay McKee and Willie Mitchell got on the market last year? My guess is that Hannan will command at least McKee type dollars.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote