HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yashin in DC

Old
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
HockeyCritter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
it's not so much the money, (even if he's signed at the price you said), it's that he lacks the character and work ethic that has been the face of the team along with Ovechkin for the past two seasons
Other then his girlfriend wanting some of the Ice Girls fired, Yashin hasn't really been a problem on the Island ............ and in DC he wouldn't have to be "The Man" --- not saying that I want him here (though I would love his skill set here).

I don't see ANYONE trading for Yashin ... that contract is nuts. It is more likely that the Islanders will buy him out and Yashin will sign somewhere for cheap.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 09:37 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Other then his girlfriend wanting some of the Ice Girls fired, Yashin hasn't really been a problem on the Island ............ and in DC he wouldn't have to be "The Man" --- not saying that I want him here (though I would love his skill set here).

I don't see ANYONE trading for Yashin ... that contract is nuts. It is more likely that the Islanders will buy him out and Yashin will sign somewhere for cheap.
That's exactly what i think.

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Jasper17

Not sure there is any other choice at this point.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 11:20 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Actually, cap numbers don't fluctuate over the life of a contract. The cap hit is the average a player makes over the duration of the entire contract. Yashin's payroll number may (and will) change but his cap hit ($7.415M) will not change while he's on his current contract. $7.415M is terrible value for what you yourself admit is moreso a complimentary player.

It would be a disaster to bring in Yashin...Jagr redux. If McPhee does that then he's toast.

A more reasonable addition would be Fedorov, with his $6.08M cap hit & payroll number next year and then his contract is up. Let him mentor the Alexs and provide the two-way play of Zubrus with better playmaking ability and puck poise. If Fedorov is happy in DC and the experiment works then he can re-up on a more reasonable contract in line with what he brings to the table at this point in his career. If not, he can walk next summer and there's not much lost in the process.

I agree with you on your points but will add the following points that are open to discussion:

1. I was unaware that Federov was available, and if he is, are his age and recent injury history a concern? Yashin is a durable player minus the cut wrist and the knee on knee injury he sustained this season.

2. Regarding Yashin being a complimentary player, I thought that was what Wash. was looking for, veteran players to compliment their young stars.

I quess I miss represented my point of decreasing salary with decreasing cap space, so I will defer to your knowledge of the cap situation. You are right the contract is large but I contend that the dynamics that may play into the availability of top line centers may dictate the necessity for Wash to consider this.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 11:24 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

No. This is nothing to consider.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

1. No one is trading for Alexei Yashin. If the Islanders buy him out, someone will sign him for a pittance compared to his current salary, and I just pray it isn't Washington. He won't make more than $2.5M/yr on his next contract.

2. Why would anyone intentionally want to build an ethnic team? Why would you go out of your way to bring in more Russians, simply because they are Russian?

If anything, unless literally the entire team is of a particular nationality, which is only even possible with Canadians in this league, it can sometimes produce divisiveness. See the Montreal Canadiens for the last decade.

There is nothing wrong with acquiring a Russian player... Andrei Markov would be a great addition, for example, but he would be a great player to sign because he's a hell of a hockey player, not because of his Russian origins. If by some miracle Sergei Zubov hit the open market, then sign me right up for that.

Today Alexei Yashin is, charitably, an overpaid, underperforming, injury-prone, and unreliable player. The fact that he's Russian should be irrelevant. Ovechkin and Semin don't need Russian buddies, and it shouldn't be a priority to bring in Russians, simply because they are Russian. Bring in solid hockey players, whether they be of Canadian, American, Russian or any other extraction. This obsession with some to build a Russian enclave in DC is ridiculous. Why would being Russian mean that Yashin would necessarily have strong chemistry with Ovechkin and Semin?

Just focus on bringing in hockey players on their merits alone, and if that philosophy results in a melting pot of players from all over the hockey world, so much the better. On merits alone, no one trades for Yashin under his current contract.

Last edited by Drake1588: 04-30-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
1. I was unaware that Federov was available, and if he is, are his age and recent injury history a concern?
He may not be, it's not quite certain. Columbus, like Washington, has a lot of holes to fill this offseason and either they'll keep him for another year so as to minimize the number of moves they need to make or dump his salary and try to spend it elsewhere. He hasn't helped Zherdev develop (through no fault of his own, imo) and Columbus should be looking to upgrade at the center position this summer.
Quote:
2. Regarding Yashin being a complimentary player, I thought that was what Wash. was looking for, veteran players to compliment their young stars.
Yes but Yashin isn't even an ideal complimentary player wouldn't you agree? If he was, the Islanders wouldn't be looking to peddle him to whoever will take him. The same goes for Kovalev or Samsonov.
Quote:
You are right the contract is large but I contend that the dynamics that may play into the availability of top line centers may dictate the necessity for Wash to consider this.
I think they'd prefer the likes of Jozef Stumpel, Eric Lindros or Todd White at $1-2M / year before acquiring Yashin. While it's true that the Caps are one of the teams with the most cap space heading into the offseason, that doesn't mean that'll be the case in the next couple of years. Acquiring Yashin would be taking money away from landing a stabilizer on defense, upgrading elsewhere on the roster and allowing the young core of the team to be retained when they come off of their current deals.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Burgh32

Quote:
Yes, we want vets who complement our kids, not drag them down and set bad examples.

I have absolutely no clue how anyone who follows hockey would think this is a good idea other than the Isles and their fans who want to dump this guy off on anyone.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Quote:
He may not be, it's not quite certain. Columbus, like Washington, has a lot of holes to fill this offseason and either they'll keep him for another year so as to minimize the number of moves they need to make or dump his salary and try to spend it elsewhere. He hasn't helped Zherdev develop (through no fault of his own, imo) and Columbus should be looking to upgrade at the center position this summer.

Yes but Yashin isn't even an ideal complimentary player wouldn't you agree? If he was, the Islanders wouldn't be looking to peddle him to whoever will take him. The same goes for Kovalev or Samsonov.

I think they'd prefer the likes of Jozef Stumpel, Eric Lindros or Todd White at $1-2M / year before acquiring Yashin. While it's true that the Caps are one of the teams with the most cap space heading into the offseason, that doesn't mean that'll be the case in the next couple of years. Acquiring Yashin would be taking money away from landing a stabilizer on defense, upgrading elsewhere on the roster and allowing the young core of the team to be retained when they come off of their current deals.

In response to your comments, I can say that prior to the knee injuryYashin was the reason this team was winning and I can say that his sucess prior to the injury was when playing with Simon and Blake and looking at Blakes first half numbers I think it's safe to say that he complimented him nicely. even Simon scored most of his points when playing with Yashin. Given the players you feel are better fits I will say that with all his flaws, Yashin is a better player then all. remember the Isles have been a deeply flawed roster since he'ds been here, at no time in the past has he ever been surrounded by anyone who could play at a first line level.

I would also think that we would be sending another veteran player, but that doesn't leave much. You are looking at Bates or Martinek, not much but both are above average bottom pairing role players. ( I'd steer toward Martinek)

Not gonna kick a dead horse repeatedly, but give him some talented motivated players and he'd do much better than he's getting ripped for. All in all it's, as is the case for both teams, it is ownerships willingness to deal with the contract.

My gut says, I think Yashin is moved (trade/buyout) if Smyth re-signs but stays if he doesn't.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I would say that if the Caps fail to land their trade/UFA targets, they might sign a bought-out Yashin for considerably less than his present salary. It would be a mistake, in my opinion, but I could see it happening.

Literally no team in the NHL will trade for his current contract, however. None, under any realistic circumstances. (e.g. Yashin plus the Isles' next x number of first round picks would qualify as unrealistic)

He's just a guy whose reputation, whether wholly justified or not, is fixed. No rival GM is going to have a soft spot for him.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yashin did play a lot better earlier in the year, I agree with that point but he's just not that good of a fit. There are a number of factors to take into consideration when you're talking about taking on such a hefty contract for four years (during which time all of the young Caps core players will need new contracts). Given the Jagr fiasco, I would be amazed if the Caps brought in Yashin under his current contract (or at all given the character and motivational concerns). I don't think you can underestimate the lingering effect Jagr still has on the front office as a whole. Adding that type of player with that type of contract would be the definition of insanity...repeating the same mistake while expecting a different result.

Old
04-30-2007, 01:21 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
I agree with you on your points but will add the following points that are open to discussion:

1. I was unaware that Federov was available, and if he is, are his age and recent injury history a concern? Yashin is a durable player minus the cut wrist and the knee on knee injury he sustained this season.

I quess I miss represented my point of decreasing salary with decreasing cap space, so I will defer to your knowledge of the cap situation. You are right the contract is large but I contend that the dynamics that may play into the availability of top line centers may dictate the necessity for Wash to consider this.
The decreasisng salary just means there is less "out of pocket" costs involved --- cap hit is the same regardless of actual amount paid to Yashin.

Old
04-30-2007, 05:14 PM
PSUhockey34

when Ovy was at the olympics didnt he talk about learning a few things from Yashin and McPhee said "god I hope not" (something to that effect)

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
StikSav

If Zubrus was still in DC I'd seriously consider supporting signing a bought-out Yashin if it could be done for $2.5M or less for one, max two years. The chemistry between Zubrus and Yashin in the World Cup in 2004 was unbelievable. They were, by far, the two best skaters for Russia and played like they were reading each other's minds. I'd take a chance on Yashin at center with Zubrus on right wing and Semin at LW and put Ovechkin with Backstrom and (I guess) Clark. But Zubrus isn't in DC and isn't coming back and given the needs of the club I'd not take a chance on wasting that $2.5M on Yashin, if for nothing else than the injury factor.

StikSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
For 6-7M take Gomez

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikSav View Post
If Zubrus was still in DC I'd seriously consider supporting signing a bought-out Yashin if it could be done for $2.5M or less for one, max two years. The chemistry between Zubrus and Yashin in the World Cup in 2004 was unbelievable. They were, by far, the two best skaters for Russia and played like they were reading each other's minds. I'd take a chance on Yashin at center with Zubrus on right wing and Semin at LW and put Ovechkin with Backstrom and (I guess) Clark. But Zubrus isn't in DC and isn't coming back and given the needs of the club I'd not take a chance on wasting that $2.5M on Yashin, if for nothing else than the injury factor.
What makes you say Zubrus isn’t coming back?

He was on XM last week (or was it two weeks ago) and clearly indicted that he has a strong interest in returning.

Or does management not want Zubrus back?

Old
05-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
What makes you say Zubrus isn’t coming back?

He was on XM last week (or was it two weeks ago) and clearly indicted that he has a strong interest in returning.

Or does management not want Zubrus back?
I'd take him back.

Though only to play RW, and with another Center. He would be a pretty solid insurance policy for Backstrom.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Re: Zubrus: it comes down to money and term. If he's still looking for his big payday then I don't see the Caps leading the charge to ink him. But if he's reconsidering that and willing to sign a more reasonable deal in line with the role he would play on the team then it'd make some sense. I'd honestly not want him back but it's not out of the question that it happens.

Old
05-14-2007, 03:16 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Re: Zubrus: it comes down to money and term. If he's still looking for his big payday then I don't see the Caps leading the charge to ink him. But if he's reconsidering that and willing to sign a more reasonable deal in line with the role he would play on the team then it'd make some sense. I'd honestly not want him back but it's not out of the question that it happens.
didn't the capitals and zuby have the money worked out, it just came down to length right? they wanted 4, he wants 5

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 03:19 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
didn't the capitals and zuby have the money worked out, it just came down to length right? they wanted 4, he wants 5
Yep, GMGM in an interview said exactly that. He said Zubie really wants that 5th year.

05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Yep, GMGM in an interview said exactly that. He said Zubie really wants that 5th year.
True, they weren't that far off according to GMGM and Tarik's reports. Although Leonsis said in an inteview that the money per year was also a factor in that Zubrus wanted "first-line center money" and the Caps personnel department felt that type of dough was better off spent on a more complimentary player for Ovechkin. Would the Caps be prepared to pay $3M / year in addition to bringing in a scoring-line center and a defenseman? I'm not so sure. My assumption has been that the veteran winger addition would be more in the range of a $1-2M / year player. (Of course, that payroll projection could also change if their bigger offseason priorities happen to come cheaper than expected. For instance, if they were to acquire a center/defenseman on a fairly cheap multi-year deal.)

Last edited by Langway: 05-14-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old
05-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
What about trading Alexey Yashin from NY Islanders.He has 7.6 mln $.
He will have good chemistry with Ovechkin and Semin.
You have no hockey sence what so ever.

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote