HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Random trade proposals

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Random trade proposals

Allright, getting a little quiet in here right now, so thought I'd throw some random trade ideas out right now. Now be gentle, I'm just making these up as I go along, but please don't shut down an idea because you like a certain player, you'll like what you get back eventually as well. Salmalainen I'm going to purposely use for this factor. I doubt he'll ever be a high profile player, but people around here seem to love him a little to much.

To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo
Salmalainen, Stoll, Horcoff

To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson

To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff

having trouble thinking one more up, so I'll pick a completely random team by going to NHL.com and using first team I click on and try and make some sort of match...

To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff

and just thought of one more that would be interesting to see peoples takes on...

To Edmonton
Henrik/Daniel Sedin, Allen

To Vancouver
Isbister, Smyth, Ferguson

Old
12-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Jamie

And to whoever disagrees with any, I am ready to defend them(even if I actually think you're right )

Just trying to get some interesting arguments going over certain players.

Old
12-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Allright, getting a little quiet in here right now, so thought I'd throw some random trade ideas out right now. Now be gentle, I'm just making these up as I go along, but please don't shut down an idea because you like a certain player, you'll like what you get back eventually as well. Salmalainen I'm going to purposely use for this factor. I doubt he'll ever be a high profile player, but people around here seem to love him a little to much.

To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo

To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson

To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff

having trouble thinking one more up, so I'll pick a completely random team by going to NHL.com and using first team I click on and try and make some sort of match...

To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff

and just thought of one more that would be interesting to see peoples takes on...

To Edmonton

To Vancouver
Do you really think KL is an idiot.

12-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Do you really think KL is an idiot.
No... in which deal do you think Lowe would come out like an idiot?

Old
12-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
No... in which deal do you think Lowe would come out like an idiot?
The last one. Edmonton and Vancouver won't trade especially since the Sedins have 3 goals combined and Allen has been involved in injuries to key players on other teams. Smyth alone would be worth more than that. Yet you throw in Izzy and Ferguson. No thanks.

Old
12-20-2003, 03:41 PM
OilerMania83

To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo

I really like Stoll, and Salmalainen could be good. Horcoff is playing a lot better right now too. I do like Noronen though but I'm not in the know with Kalinen. Not sure about this trade.

To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson

I read on here yesterdat someone said Zubrus has been the best Capital this year...propably highly exaggerated but I'd consider this trade.

To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff

I don't know anything about Dumont so I can't comment on this trade. (You don't like Stoll?)

To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff

If Chicago offered that I'd make the deal.

To Edmonton

To Vancouver

I hate this trade a lot. The Sedins aren't as good as they have been hyped and trading the Oilers heart and soul for 2 second/third liners and a 5/6/7 defenceman is lame.

Old
12-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerMania83
To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo

I really like Stoll, and Salmalainen could be good. Horcoff is playing a lot better right now too. I do like Noronen though but I'm not in the know with Kalinen. Not sure about this trade.

To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson

I read on here yesterdat someone said Zubrus has been the best Capital this year...propably highly exaggerated but I'd consider this trade.

To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff

I don't know anything about Dumont so I can't comment on this trade. (You don't like Stoll?)

To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff

If Chicago offered that I'd make the deal.

To Edmonton

To Vancouver

I hate this trade a lot. The Sedins aren't as good as they have been hyped and trading the Oilers heart and soul for 2 second/third liners and a 5/6/7 defenceman is lame.
I actually do like Stoll, but I think his value is pretty high right now, and it seems like most people on here are overrating him so figured I'd put him in the proposal.

Dumont has 10 goals and 24 points this season. He's had 2 20 goal seasons in his past and is the same age as Horcoff. He also plays well in both ends of the ice.

As for the Smyth-Sedins one, I'll agree I did give up to much there... However, the Sedins IMO are getting greatly underrated right now. Try to remember, they are still a year younger than someone like Chimera for example and are a defensive role in Vancouver and both are in the plus for +/-. I'll revamp that deal though to Isbister, Rita, Horcoff and Ferguson, same return.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:12 PM
momentai

Quote:
To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo
Not enough value coming back for Buffalo especially given their concerns with their depth at defense. The one with the best value in our list is Jarett Stoll and I doubt that it is that high. Buffalo wouldn't do that if only for the sole reason they won't give up Kalinin.

Quote:
To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson
Don't see this happening either. The two players we are shipping off just don't have much value in the league right now. A 4th liner and a 6/7 dman isn't going to net you a top 6 forward.

Quote:
To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff
This is probably doable... but I'm not sure if I rather am interested in Dumont as a player. His career high is 28 pts so far in his career... and at 25 years old... is there really that much upside there? Would it be worth giving up Stoll for him especially given our center concerns for this year and next? Don't think so.

Quote:
To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff
I think Leighton is playing rather well so far and it's not as if Chicago is searching for a playoff spot. So I don't think Salo holds enough value there. At best he's probably worth a second rounder... and Horcoff and a 2nd isn't going to net you Kyle Calder I'd bet. And who would we have in net behind Ty Conklin? Valiquette? Scary proposition.

Quote:
To Edmonton

To Vancouver
Nowhere near worth it. The Sedin twins have, thus far, been a disappointment in regards to where they have been drafted. (I do realize that very few of the top picks have panned out but that is besides the point)

Henrik's career high is 39 pts. Daniel's is 34. Could they become a dynamic duo? Possibly but I don't see it. I think a 50 pt season is a success for those two.

No sense giving up the leadership and our top left wing for a couple of inconsistent question marks.

Old
12-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Cujo_31

To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo

I really like Stoll & i think Salmelainen could do pretty good...if you replaced Stoll with Rita perhaps, I think it'd be a good deal.

To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson

i'd do this deal in a heart-beat..Zubrus would do really well in the Oilers system, + he's got pretty good size, put him with Isbister & you've got 2 huge players.

To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff

no thanks..Stoll is good, & Horc's been better as of late.

To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff

replace Korolev with a prospect or a 3rd rd pick & I like this deal.
we have a lot of forwards as it is, why do we need more??

To Edmonton

To Vancouver

terrible trade..Smytty is the heart & soul of this team, & Isbister has a really good shot just needs to use it a bit more. & No way there'd be a big trade like this between division rivals.

Old
12-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
To Edmonton
Noronen, Kalinen

To Buffalo

I really like Stoll & i think Salmelainen could do pretty good...if you replaced Stoll with Rita perhaps, I think it'd be a good deal.

To Edmonton
Zubrus

To Washington
Horcoff, Ferguson

i'd do this deal in a heart-beat..Zubrus would do really well in the Oilers system, + he's got pretty good size, put him with Isbister & you've got 2 huge players.

To Edmonton
Dumont

To Buffalo
Stoll, Horcoff

no thanks..Stoll is good, & Horc's been better as of late.

To Edmonton
Calder, Korolev

To Chicago
Salo, Horcoff

replace Korolev with a prospect or a 3rd rd pick & I like this deal.
we have a lot of forwards as it is, why do we need more??

To Edmonton

To Vancouver

terrible trade..Smytty is the heart & soul of this team, & Isbister has a really good shot just needs to use it a bit more. & No way there'd be a big trade like this between division rivals.
Well, like I said, I'd defend the deals, even if I did believe your take on it.
So... First one you had problems with was the Buffalo one.
Dumont has had 2 20 goal seasons, and allready has 10 this year. He is a shoot first player and with a good playmaker would be a great sniper. So I really think sticking him with either Oates or Hemsky, he'd really break out.

On to the Chicago one... The reason I put Korolev in there, is because we'd have to take him. He makes $1,600,000 and if they're taking a highly overpaid Salo, we're going to take an overpaid player back.

And finally the Canucks one. Well, I allready admitted that one was to much and changed it to Rita and Horcoff there instead of Smytty. And I really, really think people are jumping on the Sedins way to early. They're both playing really solid two way hockey, and lets not forget, they're not old, only a year older than Salmalainen and a year younger than Chimera. They're being relied on for good defensive play, and they are giving that. Once Naslund leaves, I think these two are going to shine big time.

Old
12-21-2003, 09:53 AM
camboy

How about this:

To Wash:
Brewer
Philly 1st

To Edm: Gonchar

I think Gonchar has the most reasonable salary of any of the elite talent in the NHL and is exactly what the Oilers need. Long term solution if the Oilers could find a way to afford him.

or

To Wash:
Brewer
Philly 1st

To Edm:
Wash 1st 2004
Nylander

Gives Edmonton a good shot at the # 1 pick and an offensive center for right now.

York Nylander Dvorak
Smyth Oates Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Isbister
Torres Stoll Laraque

extras: Horcoff, Chimera, Pisani

Smith Semenov
Staios Woywitka
Cross Bergeron
Ferguson

Coming up: Lynch and Greene

Old
12-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
How about this:

To Wash:
Brewer
Philly 1st

To Edm: Gonchar

I think Gonchar has the most reasonable salary of any of the elite talent in the NHL and is exactly what the Oilers need. Long term solution if the Oilers could find a way to afford him.

or

To Wash:
Brewer
Philly 1st

To Edm:
Wash 1st 2004
Nylander

Gives Edmonton a good shot at the # 1 pick and an offensive center for right now.
Well, I would love Gonch here in Edmonton, but the big question is, how long would we be able to keep him? If we can only keep him an Oiler for 2 or 3 years, Brewer and a 1st is highly overpaying. As for the 2nd one, Nylander makes near $3 mill and will be a UFA soon. I would have to pass on this one, at least at this point. Washington still has enough talent that they could turn their season around and contend for a playoff spot, and Brewer has way more value than a mid 1st rounder. And a late 1st has more value than Nylander... Just my 2 cents(gotta shut down others ideas don't I? )

Old
12-21-2003, 10:23 AM
camboy

Quote:
Well, I would love Gonch here in Edmonton, but the big question is, how long would we be able to keep him? If we can only keep him an Oiler for 2 or 3 years, Brewer and a 1st is highly overpaying. As for the 2nd one, Nylander makes near $3 mill and will be a UFA soon. I would have to pass on this one, at least at this point. Washington still has enough talent that they could turn their season around and contend for a playoff spot, and Brewer has way more value than a mid 1st rounder. And a late 1st has more value than Nylander... Just my 2 cents(gotta shut down others ideas don't I? )

If we could figure out a long term commitment for Gonchar I think my proposal makes a lot of sense. If the new CBA allows for a more level playing field, a guy like Gonchar could be worth the investment. Can you imagine his skill being used effectively in the western conference? It would be absolutely sickening.

Old
12-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not enough value coming back for Buffalo especially given their concerns with their depth at defense. The one with the best value in our list is Jarett Stoll and I doubt that it is that high. Buffalo wouldn't do that if only for the sole reason they won't give up Kalinin.

Don't see this happening either. The two players we are shipping off just don't have much value in the league right now. A 4th liner and a 6/7 dman isn't going to net you a top 6 forward.
Agreed on both counts. Zubrus is breaking out this year, this one isn't even close.

Quote:
This is probably doable... but I'm not sure if I rather am interested in Dumont as a player. His career high is 28 pts so far in his career... and at 25 years old... is there really that much upside there? Would it be worth giving up Stoll for him especially given our center concerns for this year and next? Don't think so.
This one isn't doable at all. Career high of 28 points? in the '00/'01 season, he had 23 goals and 51 points, so I don't know where you get that. He has 24 points already this season, more than any Oiler player (in 33 games). He's 25 and was a high overall pick a number of years ago. Dumont could score 30 goals in the NHL someday. Maybe even this year. He's streaky, but he would be a HECK of an aquisition. Too bad I don't think Regeir would trade him right now.

Quote:
I think Leighton is playing rather well so far and it's not as if Chicago is searching for a playoff spot. So I don't think Salo holds enough value there. At best he's probably worth a second rounder... and Horcoff and a 2nd isn't going to net you Kyle Calder I'd bet. And who would we have in net behind Ty Conklin? Valiquette? Scary proposition.
They don't want to move Leighton. They might move Anderson though.

Quote:
Nowhere near worth it. The Sedin twins have, thus far, been a disappointment in regards to where they have been drafted. (I do realize that very few of the top picks have panned out but that is besides the point)

Henrik's career high is 39 pts. Daniel's is 34. Could they become a dynamic duo? Possibly but I don't see it. I think a 50 pt season is a success for those two.

No sense giving up the leadership and our top left wing for a couple of inconsistent question marks.
While I love Smyth, I don't think I'd want this trade for the Canucks either, mostly because I don't think we can afford to lose Bryan Allen and potentially two good scorers. The Twins are playing like garbage right now, but a month ago they were considered to be 'breaking out'. Allen is the key here though.

Furthermore, I wouldn't move any youth to the Oilers from the Canucks. I don't want my #1 team helping out my #2 team

Old
12-21-2003, 12:44 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
This one isn't doable at all. Career high of 28 points? in the '00/'01 season, he had 23 goals and 51 points, so I don't know where you get that. He has 24 points already this season, more than any Oiler player (in 33 games). He's 25 and was a high overall pick a number of years ago. Dumont could score 30 goals in the NHL someday. Maybe even this year. He's streaky, but he would be a HECK of an aquisition. Too bad I don't think Regeir would trade him right now.
My apologies. I was looking at the assist totals instead of point totals. The fact remains is that he is an incredibly streaky player and I believe the Oilers have had more than their fill of players like those. Don't really like him... so personally I wouldn't let this deal fly especially considering the lack of short-term depth at center at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
They don't want to move Leighton. They might move Anderson though.
There was no talk of moving Leighton. The proposal was for Kyle Calder.

Old
12-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Well, like I said, I'd defend the deals, even if I did believe your take on it.
So... First one you had problems with was the Buffalo one.
Dumont has had 2 20 goal seasons, and allready has 10 this year. He is a shoot first player and with a good playmaker would be a great sniper. So I really think sticking him with either Oates or Hemsky, he'd really break out.

On to the Chicago one... The reason I put Korolev in there, is because we'd have to take him. He makes $1,600,000 and if they're taking a highly overpaid Salo, we're going to take an overpaid player back.

And finally the Canucks one. Well, I allready admitted that one was to much and changed it to Rita and Horcoff there instead of Smytty. And I really, really think people are jumping on the Sedins way to early. They're both playing really solid two way hockey, and lets not forget, they're not old, only a year older than Salmalainen and a year younger than Chimera. They're being relied on for good defensive play, and they are giving that. Once Naslund leaves, I think these two are going to shine big time.
but Stoll is still very young & he has a really good future ahead of him, I dont think giving up Stoll is an option right now.

well the fact is i doubt the Oilers will pick up Salo's option, but we'll be stuck with Korolev for a couple more years, the reasoning there doesn't make much sense, we might be able to deal Salo at the trade deadline to a team who wants goaltending insurance, as long as he finds his game by then & has some trade value, even if we can get a pick out of it, it's better then nothin.

& the Nucks one, Like i said earlier a trade of this magnitude is not gonna happen, we're division rivals. plus Burke seems quite high on the Sedin twins & I doubt he's gonna give them up anytime soon, especially to a division rival, or even a conference rival for that matter. Burke is a smart GM & he knows Sedins are still young & will eventually be the go-to guys for the Nucks.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Shizuka

Interesting ideas, Jamie, but most of them are weighted in favour of the Oilers? There isn't enough return for any of them to happen, plus you are talking about moving key guys off of other teams, whereas we would be trading mostly fringe players. I don't blame you though...something needs to be done with the lineup doesn't it? It certainly can't hurt.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
but Stoll is still very young & he has a really good future ahead of him, I dont think giving up Stoll is an option right now.

well the fact is i doubt the Oilers will pick up Salo's option, but we'll be stuck with Korolev for a couple more years, the reasoning there doesn't make much sense, we might be able to deal Salo at the trade deadline to a team who wants goaltending insurance, as long as he finds his game by then & has some trade value, even if we can get a pick out of it, it's better then nothin.

& the Nucks one, Like i said earlier a trade of this magnitude is not gonna happen, we're division rivals. plus Burke seems quite high on the Sedin twins & I doubt he's gonna give them up anytime soon, especially to a division rival, or even a conference rival for that matter. Burke is a smart GM & he knows Sedins are still young & will eventually be the go-to guys for the Nucks.
We'd be stuck with Korolevs salary just this year and next I believe(may be wrong here though). If it took us eating Korolevs salary an extra year along with Salo and his salary and Horcoff for Calder though, I'd do it.

And for the Nucks one, ya I doubt we'd ever do such a huge deal with them, but was just throwing it out there for arguments sake, and I think it's pretty good, considering the Nucks fan here doesn't like it for them, and none of the Oilers fans like it for them. Usually the sign of a fair deal. And big divionsal deals do get done on occasion. Drury-Morris for example.

Old
12-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
And for the Nucks one, ya I doubt we'd ever do such a huge deal with them, but was just throwing it out there for arguments sake, and I think it's pretty good, considering the Nucks fan here doesn't like it for them, and none of the Oilers fans like it for them. Usually the sign of a fair deal. And big divionsal deals do get done on occasion. Drury-Morris for example.

even so, it wouldn't be a good deal for the Nucks...

To Edmonton

To Vancouver

Smytty is 27, Ferguson is 30, & Isbister is 26

& there giving up Sedin's who are 23, & Bryan Allen who is also 23..why would the Nucks trade there youth for Smyth who needs to be on the top line if he's gonna put up big #'s, Isbister who isn't really that great yet, he's a "edmonton project" & Ferguson who isn't that good anyways?? would be a terrible deal for the Nucks.

Closed Thread