HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers need to trade Montoya

Old
04-30-2007, 10:20 AM
NoCurse94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
this is an interesting debate actually. In a perfect world I'd like him to back-up henrik next yr...play in 15-20 games and hopefully up his trade value to get a really nice chip for him. I'm not worried about henrik getting hurt, plus I think we have enough organizational depth in other places we can use our 1st or 2nd rounder this yr on a goalie to groom to replace montoya as our talented #2 goalie. Is there a goalie that deserves to go in the mid-late 1st rnd this yr? If there is, I think it makes a lot of sense to consider drafting one.

oh i just want to add...this is a GREAT problem to have.

Last edited by NoCurse94: 04-30-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: forgot 1 thing
NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 10:23 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
and yes people, i am pretty much saying, if you want to trade monty now, you don't understand the big picture of "developing" a farm system, nor should you ever suggest another trade ever again. sorry but you just don't have the mind for that side of the game.....
let be known, for now and forever, that Nich is my favoriet poster.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 10:24 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
This draft class isn't good, so I'd wait. Maybe next year when Jared Staal is there lol
he'll be available in the 3rd or 4th round.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
let be known, for now and forever, that Nich is my favoriet poster.
thanks!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

If we're to trade him I'd rather we trade him near the deadline when values are supper high. Imagine pulling in a retrun of Parent +.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 04:51 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
If we're to trade him I'd rather we trade him near the deadline when values are supper high. Imagine pulling in a retrun of Parent +.
We could have easily got Parent + someone if return for Montoya if Nashville was looking for a future young goalie.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

I don't mind losing Montoya, Prucha, the 17th, the 47th, and a pick in next years draft in packages for two young top end forwards. Whether its for proven guys or for picks that land us Voracek and JvR, moves need to be made. I do not mind if only one trade is made though.

Prucha, 17th, and 2008 2nd for a top 5 pick?

(If I had my way as well, Karel Rachunek and Jarkko Immonen would be traded for 3rd rounders). I see these extra players as excess that can be used to get us depth in another area like newly drafted goaltenders!

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

Prucha, 17th, and 2008 2nd for a top 5 pick?
see my post about not proposing trades above

Old
04-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
he'll be available in the 3rd or 4th round.
i expect him to jump. don't forget jordan jumped up from initially in the late twenties to a top 5 pick when the draft came around.

Old
04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
see my post about not proposing trades above
Because of what? I have a view on Prucha that differs from the ultimate fangirl one?

We hear about all the guys who were too small to play in the NHL, but you know what, Prucha may actually be one of those guys. He is not a guy who can assert himself as a force, i'm not expecting shift-to-shift, but game-to-game. If you can get something like that for Prucha, you pull that trigger.

Old
04-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Nich

ok well explain to me what exactly a 18 tear old rookie with no professional experience would bring to the table more than prucha? and what player has shown that he could do that on a nhl level (be a force).

and that's why you don't make the trade. especially in this draft

Old
04-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Madness

I'm not a fan of Prucha but I wouldn't trade him because I think he'll improve and the Rangers already have problems scoring goals.

I would trade Montoya though.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
ok well explain to me what exactly a 18 tear old rookie with no professional experience would bring to the table more than prucha? and what player has shown that he could do that on a nhl level (be a force).

and that's why you don't make the trade. especially in this draft
The one thing that Prucha's made his money doing is scoring. I expect him to be atleast a threat, not even force anymore, and he has not been. With Callahan up here actually asserting himself as a player, Prucha's already becoming redundant.

With regards to the top four/five of the draft, I think concerns about this draft are overblown. Voracek(Hossa-like), Kane(Briere/Datsyuk-like), JvR(Vanek-like), and Turris(Sakic-like) look to be special players. It's a draft, experts are proven wrong time and time again.

Old
04-30-2007, 06:35 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
stop using logic! you are confusing these fans asking for him to be traded, and they can't be expected to know what the right thing to do is.

you know it is threads like this that make me believe nothing is wrong with marijuana...i mean i don't care if i smoke a pound in 1 day, i could never get dumb enough to suggest trading our only goalie prospect behind hank. Especially when he is no where near a value he could get. And whats the big deal, why do we either need to play him as a backup or trade him. why can't we just let him play to get better. i mean giggy didn't get into the league until he was 26!!

and yes people, i am pretty much saying, if you want to trade monty now, you don't understand the big picture of "developing" a farm system, nor should you ever suggest another trade ever again. sorry but you just don't have the mind for that side of the game.....
What good does it do to develop a player in your farm system if he will never become a big part of your team? Assuming Lundqvist doesn't suffer a major injury or leave as a UFA, it doesn't look like Montoya will ever be the starting goalie for the Rangers.

You want to keep Montoya in Hartford until he's 26, or maybe give him 10-20 games a year as a backup? Just don't see how that helps the organization.

You have to get the most out of what you have... if you have a guy with a lot of trade value who is buried on your depth chart it just makes more sense to trade him and improve other areas of the team.

If/when Montoya has enough trade value to land you a legit, YOUNG, top line guy who can help you for years than you do it. Maybe the opportunity won't be there until a year or two from now, or maybe it will be this summer, but when the time comes you have to do it. To say we shouldn't trade Montoya at all is ridiculous.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Nich

i just read the first sentence, and who is to say montoya will never be the rangers backup? same people who said that about richter? and did you use the word assume? if so, then everything after is hearsay.

not until 26, but 23 would work, and hey 10-20 games in the pro's if he does a good job, is hell of a lot more value than minor league player with great potential. which means more for him if traded.

and he will have more value in a year after he backups up henrik. and how is 22 for a goalie being buried in a depth chart when the chart is

henrik
montoya
holt
????????

it is rediculous to trade your only other chip in goalie. hell buffalo held on to miller and biron for how many years? oh yeah, they had a terrible thing going there

i stick to my theory that if you want it now now now, you shouldn't bother with trade proposals. not one of the players in the top 5 will help us next year or the year after i would venture....but montoya could....

Last edited by Nich: 04-30-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old
04-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
i just read the first sentence, and who is to say montoya will never be the rangers backup? same people who said that about richter?
Lets try this: what's the difference between Montoya projected as Rangers backup and a 4th round pick in this years draft, say, Tyson Sexsmith and Joel Gistedt projected as Rangers backup?

That's like playing Nylander with Hollweg and Ortmeyer because we went out and got Drury, and Briere.

Old
04-30-2007, 06:42 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
What good does it do to develop a player in your farm system if he will never become a big part of your team? Assuming Lundqvist doesn't suffer a major injury or leave as a UFA, it doesn't look like Montoya will ever be the starting goalie for the Rangers.

You want to keep Montoya in Hartford until he's 26, or maybe give him 10-20 games a year as a backup? Just don't see how that helps the organization.

You have to get the most out of what you have... if you have a guy with a lot of trade value who is buried on your depth chart it just makes more sense to trade him and improve other areas of the team.

If/when Montoya has enough trade value to land you a legit, YOUNG, top line guy who can help you for years than you do it. Maybe the opportunity won't be there until a year or two from now, or maybe it will be this summer, but when the time comes you have to do it. To say we shouldn't trade Montoya at all is ridiculous.
To suggest trading him now seems ridiculous to me. He can compete with Henrik in camp , and even back him up next season, its not going to hurt his value. If he's for real ....he'll play well, and maintain his value or even increase it depending on the goaltending needs out there.
As for Prucha, all this trade him talk is just that. I like the guy, but I am of the belief that if the right offer comes along...NO ONE is untradeable. Having said that...there is no one out there in this draft class that I am absolutely in awe of, or have heard spectacular reports on.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Nich

Quote:
Lets try this: what's the difference between Montoya projected as Rangers backup and a 4th round pick in this years draft, say, Tyson Sexsmith and Joel Gistedt projected as Rangers backup?

That's like playing Nylander with Hollweg because we went out and got Drury, and Briere.
montoya is >>>>>> sexsmith and gistedt

and the reason is montoya is closure to reaching his potential. the other two can be the next blackburn, fichaud, carrey, take your pick

what is really killing me is you guys are all going for a quick fix again. i mean what has montoya done to say you want to trade him? if the answer is we have lundqvist, then the answer isn't good enough. you don't trade away your only other option.

and really, why bother trading monty, if you just want to go and pick another goalie? what are we the islanders (isles traded luongo and drafted dp)

and you ARE not going to get a first line player for montoya now...so stop dreaming. maybe in a year or two, but we have to have him in a year or two to get a first line talent.

i am not saying never trade him, but yes for good value, which we wouldn't get right now. hence you hold onto him, and draft another goalie anyway seeing we have no depth

Last edited by Nich: 04-30-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old
04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
montoya is >>>>>> sexsmith and gistedt

and the reason is montoya is closure to reaching his potential. the other two can be the next blackburn, fichaud, carrey, take your pick
And Montoya is not in the same boat?

Old
04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Nich

HAHAHA....if you think they are in the same boat you obviously missed the fact that he has had 2 good pro seasons in 2 pro seasons.

the others never had any besides carey with one.

and the younger players like sexsmith are 5 years away from proving they can get to where monty is now

Old
04-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
what is really killing me is you guys are all going for a quick fix again. i mean what has montoya done to say you want to trade him? if the answer is we have lundqvist, then the answer isn't good enough. you don't trade away your only other option.

and really, why bother trading monty, if you just want to go and pick another goalie? what are we the islanders (isles traded luongo and drafted dp)
We would not be the Islanders, we would be a SMART team moving assets around to maximize them.

There's no point in having a 6th overall backup; its either Henry or Montoya and I'm taking the guy leading us through the National Hockey League playoffs over the 7 and out Calder Cup AHL flopper. AND if there is any way Montoya overtakes Henry, then we are ****ed because Lundqvist's value will have plummeted faster than a rock.

Old
04-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Nich

but you are not planning ahead man. this is a contact sport.

put it to you this way. we bring him up to backup, then we trade him. then henrik is out for 1/2 a season. what do you do then, besides wave goodbye to the season? what was that you thought? trade for another goalie? well we could have better maximized our assets by holding on to monty instead of paying a kings ransom.

true we never know where monty will end up, but think about this....one of the best 3 goalie prospects in the league. in the whole league. so why the **** you in such a hurry to drop him?

and trading away you only viable goalie prospect is not asset management, no matter which way you try to spin it, it is ****ing idiotic. no offense, but if you ran this team i would probably speak of you along the line of mad mike...who is also an impatient guy for players to develop.....kinda like bertuzzi, lungo, pally, chara, redden, etc.....

Old
04-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
but you are not planning ahead man. this is a contact sport.

put it to you this way. we bring him up to backup, then we trade him. then henrik is out for 1/2 a season. what do you do then, besides wave goodbye to the season? what was that you thought? trade for another goalie? well we could have better maximized our assets by holding on to monty instead of paying a kings ransom.

true we never know where monty will end up, but think about this....one of the best 3 goalie prospects in the league. in the whole league. so why the **** you in such a hurry to drop him?

and trading away you only viable goalie prospect is not asset management, no matter which way you try to spin it, it is ****ing idiotic. no offense, but if you ran this team i would probably speak of you along the line of mad mike...who is also an impatient guy for players to develop.....kinda like bertuzzi, lungo, pally, chara, redden, etc.....
So never make a trade because someone might get hurt?

I'm giving Jessiman to the end of fricken Kingdome Come to develop...that is not the matter at hand. Montoya can have his time too. It's just a tier of talent that we need to address in order to be an efficient pro team with a good minor league team and well balanced system. I'd rather have a few decent goalies in the system with potential to actually backup than Montoya - who should not be looked at as a backup - and ( ).

Old
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
We would not be the Islanders, we would be a SMART team moving assets around to maximize them.

There's no point in having a 6th overall backup; its either Henry or Montoya and I'm taking the guy leading us through the National Hockey League playoffs over the 7 and out Calder Cup AHL flopper. AND if there is any way Montoya overtakes Henry, then we are ****ed because Lundqvist's value will have plummeted faster than a rock.
I Disagree i Think We Would Be Better Suited to Keep Montoya And Lets See What We Have Bring Him Up To Back up Next Year and maybe He Will Prove To Be A Good - Very Good NHL Goalie . Remember a Goalie With NHL experience And maybe a successful half season or so would get us more in a trade then a Minor League Prospect which is all he is, i mean seriously what do u think we are really gonna get for him at this point ? and why in gods name would u wanna trade Prucha ? 50+ goals in two seasons and he is only gonna get better !

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Nich

Quote:
So never make a trade because someone might get hurt?

I'm giving Jessiman to the end of fricken Kingdome Come to develop...that is not the matter at hand. Montoya can have his time too. It's just a tier of talent that we need to address in order to be an efficient pro team with a good minor league team and well balanced system. I'd rather have a few decent goalies in the system with potential to actually backup than Montoya - who should not be looked at as a backup - and ( ).
you try to build depth on overall talent, not if they will fit into a backup role. so thats your first mistake

and yes, you don't trade your only other goalie that could play at the nhl level. especially since he is 100 times more likely to play there than any kid that gets drafted this year.