HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers already talking trade?

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Well he likes Turris, but not enough to make a bone-headed move, I'd wager. And the 6th and 15th for the 2nd this year would be a bone-headed move.

And I am pretty sure in the new CBA you have drafted Euros for only 2 years. Anyways, my point is that Cherry has enough knocks on him to fall in a my eyes. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of Espo or Cherry fall to 20 or below. But I guess we'll see what happens
fixed.

Old
05-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
You do realise that Knuble played with guys like Peter Forsberg while Hemsky played with guys like Mr. Stanley Cup Hangover Shawn Horcoff? I think any team in the league would die to swap the 35-yearold with the 23-yearold when they put up similar numbers and the 23-yearold had lesser centres to play with.

As for saying that Giroux will be wayyyyyyyyyyy better than Hemsky, you don't even know how good Hemsky is going to be. If you think it'd be a feat for Giroux to even be in a Flyers uniform three years down the road I think you're vastly overrating his chances at outshining Hemsky.

As for Pitkänen going to Edmonton, I don't really see it happen because I don't know what the Oilers would give up that the Flyers could possibly want. People on the Oilers board are talking about guys like Torres and Lupul while forgetting that the reason that they want to trade them is that they sucked big-time this season. Nobody wants them, especially not for Joni Pitkänen. I think Kevin Lowe has shown pretty clearly that he isn't going to overpay and that's exactly what he'd have to do to get Pitkänen. No deal.
Knuble played w/ an injured Forsberg for how many games? Couldn't have been for more than 30. Still you have a good point that Hemsky doesn't have much help... Horcoff is junk I will give you that, but I still wouldn't even trade Hemsky for Knuble let alone Pitkanen.

as for what I said about Giroux being wayyyyyyyyy better than Hemsky, ok ok maybe not wayyyyyyyyy better (I exaggerate) possibly as good or a little bit better than Hemsky, but I think that he has the potential and the help he needs (gagne + maybe Briere) to shine.

Old
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well he likes Turris, but not enough to make a bone-headed move, I'd wager. And the 6th and 15th for the 2nd this year would be a bone-headed move.

And I am pretty sure in the new CBA you have drafted Euros for only 2 years. Anyways, my point is that Cherry has enough knocks on him to fall in a lot of GMs eyes. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of Espo or Cherry fall to 20 or below. But I guess we'll see what happens
i very much doubt you know HOW MUCH he likes Turris... neither do i. it very much matters how much he wants him.

you and the redline report are the ONLY people who think Cherapanov will fall outside of the top 5 that i've seen. Esposito may very well tumble down the board, but Cherapanov will be going very quickly... and now we have rumors that the IIHF deal will be signed. shocking.

Old
05-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I think you are missing my point, we don't need hemsky bad enough to trade Joni. I am simply pointing out that we have enough depth on right wing already, and for the record:

Knuble's stats:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ayerId=8458590

Hemsky's stats:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ayerId=8469466

and Giroux will be WAY, WAYYYYYYYYYY better than Hemsky. Give him 3 years he will be in a Flyers Uni.

Haven't we learned to stop overrating our prospects yet...Funny how about 3 years ago it was a lock for Carter to score 40 goals or Mike Richards was going to be the best shutdown guy in the league. Giroux is not even a lock to be better then any Flyer...remember Alxander Daigle.

Old
05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre_Daigle View Post
There's this small minority of apparently self-loathing Flyers fans who seem convinced that the "Flyer identity" that made us so good in the 70's had something to do with lack of speed and skill. It just means grit, toughness, and drive, son. Hemsky is not a Flyer-type player.

Yeah I forgot all that skill the Flyers had...lol. While we did have some players who were truly skilled the team was made up to intimidate people and play a bruising style of play...not to showcase thier skill. Why don't you and evrey other nostalgic flyer fan realize that the 70's was 3 decades ago...The game evolves and so does the talent.

And this whole Flyer type of player thing has brought us how many cups since 75...ZERO. Skill beats grit anywhere, anytime.

Old
05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Hehehe, oops forgot about Downie. Yup Aliu is not an option.

Oh well, I was just tossing around ideas. I guess whatever happens, happens. But I'd be shocked if we moved the 6th and 15th to move up 4 spots in a draft year where the top 6 are pretty comparable (imho).

Doesn't matter if they don't think they can get him over to NA without huge legal bills.

I think you are right that the #2 for the #6 and #15 is crazy but that's not likely to be the deal. The Flyers will likely send something else along with the #2 to get the #15 and not the #29 (or whatever it will be). It might be one of our 3rd's or a player. Also remember that after the top 10 in this years draft the general concensus is that it's overall a weaker draft class than most years. That basically equates to the #15 pick being about equal to the #20-#25 pick in most typical drafts. It's not a bad pick (heck no pick in the 1st rnd is a bad pick) but it's not as great as having say the #15 pick in next years draft (probably)

Old
05-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan View Post
Yeah I forgot all that skill the Flyers had...lol. While we did have some players who were truly skilled the team was made up to intimidate people and play a bruising style of play...not to showcase thier skill. Why don't you and evrey other nostalgic flyer fan realize that the 70's was 3 decades ago...The game evolves and so does the talent.

And this whole Flyer type of player thing has brought us how many cups since 75...ZERO.
Five Stanley Cup Finals, and a few more Conference Finals isn't exactly something to ***** about.
Quote:
Skill beats grit anywhere, anytime.
If you're talking Eric Staal head to head against George Parros then yea. But just like anything else in life, balance is needed. The Sens are a model example of how the right blend of skill and physicallity can bring about great things.

Old
05-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Mythology

IMO the #6 and #15 isn't all that crazy to move up to #2 any year. A couple thing to consider is that the consensus of this draft is that the 1st tier of talent ends at pick #5 or less. Moving into the top 5 from outside is going to be expensive. Moving up into the top tier is always costly and 2 lower 1st round picks is usually the starting asking price. This year the next tier of talent is about 5-7 players that are a real toss up in most reports making the #6 pick, while still more valuable than the 10th or 11th pick closer than in many years in value to one of those picks. After the #10 to 12 pick once again the next 30 or so rated players are all a toss up bringing the value of a 15th pick closer to that of lower picks than in many years. For a team with multiple first round picks moving two of them that are out of the top 5 to get one of the top 2 is a reasonable cost. Unless the Flyers make the move in order to package the 15th pick with the Nashville pick for a player like Brad Richards I would rather they pick 2nd. They need top end, star level talent.

Old
05-03-2007, 03:27 PM
peteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Pitkanen won't get us Hemsky. I wouldn't mind seeing us swing our #2 for their #6 and #15, the quality of the player we'll get at 6 isn't far behind what we'll get at 2.
Pitkanen for their #6 and #15

Old
05-03-2007, 04:04 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post

u just made my day with that one

Old
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Who could say no to that one?

Old
05-03-2007, 05:33 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
I don't think you could close this thread with a better post than that. Ever.

Old
05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
We better throw in a 3rd to even it out.

Old
05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan View Post
The same could be said on how we overrate Carter, Richards Pitkanen...hell half the team is overrated.

Hemsky is a playmaker who can flat out fly...something we need.
we have or potentially could have a number s playmakers that can fly (giroux, #2 pick, upshall, potulny(maybe)) in addition to richards, carter & gagne but we only have one dman with joni's potantial...i am willing to bet it is easier to find speedy playmakers then 6'4" dman with joni's skill set...regardless of whether hemsky is overrated or not flyers don't need another playmaker...they need a sniper and even then it would be tough to give up on joni this soon...

Old
05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
No take backs.

Old
05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosselli View Post
we have or potentially could have a number s playmakers that can fly (giroux, #2 pick, upshall, potulny(maybe)) in addition to richards, carter & gagne but we only have one dman with joni's potantial...i am willing to bet it is easier to find speedy playmakers then 6'4" dman with joni's skill set...regardless of whether hemsky is overrated or not flyers don't need another playmaker...they need a sniper and even then it would be tough to give up on joni this soon...
Uhh, yeah they need a playmaking winger in a bad way. The players you named - Gagne, Carter, Potulny, even Upshall, are shooters (or in some cases "snipers"). Don't take NHL 07's descriptions to heart.

Old
05-03-2007, 08:52 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Uhh, yeah they need a playmaking winger in a bad way. The players you named - Gagne, Carter, Potulny, even Upshall, are shooters (or in some cases "snipers"). Don't take NHL 07's descriptions to heart.
true, the flyers do need a playmaking winger...my point was its easier to find that then a player with joni's potential...flyers have talented wingers i should have said...

this is off subject but some people say the flyers need a playmaking (kozlov, whitney) winger for carter because he is more of a sniper...others say because he holds on to the puck so much he needs more of a banger (tkachuk, hartnell, knuble) to create space for him...which is it????

Old
05-03-2007, 09:14 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
true, the flyers do need a playmaking winger...my point was its easier to find that then a player with joni's potential...flyers have talented wingers i should have said...

this is off subject but some people say the flyers need a playmaking (kozlov, whitney) winger for carter because he is more of a sniper...others say because he holds on to the puck so much he needs more of a banger (tkachuk, hartnell, knuble) to create space for him...which is it????
carter is a shooter. i think he answered those questions the night he played with gagne and upshall for the first time after the forsberg trade. whatd he have? 11 shots that game? he has a powerful wrister..

Old
05-03-2007, 09:54 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
carter is a shooter. i think he answered those questions the night he played with gagne and upshall for the first time after the forsberg trade. whatd he have? 11 shots that game? he has a powerful wrister..
yeah, so does he benefit more from a playmaker or powerforward????
i would think more of a playmaker ... either way it would be nice to see him stay healthy and have a break season

Old
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
i would think more of a playmaker ... either way it would be nice to see him stay healthy and have a break season
i hear you.

from what i see, a playmaker would be exponentially more beneficial for him.

Old
05-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Quote:

No... He has the puck too much to benefit from a playmaker that much... He needs a power forward who can pass, IMO. I'd really like to get Zubrus.

Old
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
No... He has the puck too much to benefit from a playmaker that much... He needs a power forward who can pass, IMO. I'd really like to get Zubrus.
naahh, i disagree..id want him with a small and fast offensivly oriented playmaker.

Old
05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Yeah, but Carter keeps the puck all the time... Playmakers need the puck a lot so they can set up plays.

For most snipers, yeah, they get better w/ a good playmaker, but I don't see that with Carter @ all.

Old
05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
Yeah, but Carter keeps the puck all the time... Playmakers need the puck a lot so they can set up plays.

For most snipers, yeah, they get better w/ a good playmaker, but I don't see that with Carter @ all.
well if i picture eager with carter and upshall i dont see him being any better or any more consistant than he has been before. carter shows spurts of dominence at times, i think a playmaker could bring that out in him a lot more consistantly than a bumper and grinder/power forward. carter gets the puck a lot cause he can bump in the corners himself if need be. he could play the cycle game all day long with upshall and another playmaker. theyd wear down other lines because 2/3s of the known line is young and conditioned well, and at the same time and in all likely hood have a lot more chances and goals (if he puts the puck on net)

edit- im sorry i forgot u mentioned ud like to see zubrus play with him.

in responce:

ive seen zubrus play a lot..and although hes been having a good playoff, i dont see him being as consistant as i said i think would be beneficial for carter. i just think the problem with carter is his consistancy, so to remedy that...simply put him with someone whos very consistant. it may not seem that simple, but wouldnt it be somthing to see if it was.

OT- funny you mention zubrus..i met him last year at a hershey preseason game, nice guy..i was stoked because of his former flyer status..just had to mention that

Last edited by phlacheesesteak: 05-03-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old
05-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
naahh, i disagree..id want him with a small and fast offensivly oriented playmaker.
I think that this question... powerforward or playmaker is a tough one to answer... I will go, powerforward who can pass... someone already said Zubrus, he would be a perfect fit IMO and heres why:

If we add another "small and fast" player to that line in particular, we are setting them up for failure. We have our trigger man: Carter, we have the small, quick, scrappy, but can still score/pass winger: Upshall, but who is going to camp in front of the net?, who is going to win the battles in the corner? Zubrus could be that guy and he could setup Upshall and Carter also.

However, the only thing bad about Zubrus is that he is going to cost us somewhere around 4.5 million dollars next season. So my question is, if not Zubrus then who?

The only other guy I can think of is Hartnell...?

Closed Thread