HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

1st Annual Isles Board Awards

Old
05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
cjdv16

vCash: 500
what about the "Brian Curran Award" for most time spent in being penalized?

i think i might take that one.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Killer Carlson

Ok, we're ready to go!

So, this is the way that it is going to work. Instead of really drawing this thing out and making much more work for myself, we're not going to have nominations for each award. I'll start a voting thread for each category that will stay open for about 24 hours and then be locked. I'll probably start, at max, two voting threads per day. On these voting threads, there will be NO discussion, just votes. This way, it will be much easier for me to count votes and name a winner. What I will do is create a stickied thread called "Isles Board Awards Discussion Thread" where anyone can discuss the voting, the awards and anything else that is related to the awards.

In the voting threads, you can only vote for one person so if you want to give someone 'honorable mention' or some props even though they didn't get your vote, you would do that in the discussion thread. Also, if you have any questions about a category or the awards, put them in the discussion thread, not the thread for the category itself.

I have eliminated a few categories for various reasons. One is the Sean Avery award (for being too negative) and the other is the Doom and Gloom award b/c it is too similar to the Chicken Little award.

I'm going to keep this thread open for a bit but will probably lock it later on so that all discussion will move over to the new, stickied thread.

05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
So, this is the way that it is going to work. Instead of really drawing this thing out and making much more work for myself, we're not going to have nominations for each award. I'll start a voting thread for each category that will stay open for about 24 hours and then be locked. I'll probably start, at max, two voting threads per day. On these voting threads, there will be NO discussion, just votes. This way, it will be much easier for me to count votes and name a winner. What I will do is create a stickied thread called "Isles Board Awards Discussion Thread" where anyone can discuss the voting, the awards and anything else that is related to the awards.

In the voting threads, you can only vote for one person so if you want to give someone 'honorable mention' or some props even though they didn't get your vote, you would do that in the discussion thread. Also, if you have any questions about a category or the awards, put them in the discussion thread, not the thread for the category itself.

I have eliminated a few categories for various reasons. One is the Sean Avery award (for being too negative) and the other is the Doom and Gloom award b/c it is too similar to the Chicken Little award.

I'm going to keep this thread open for a bit but will probably lock it later on so that all discussion will move over to the new, stickied thread.
SO there will be a poll ?
or do we have to right in our votes ?
WOuld a poll not be better to keep track ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
SO there will be a poll ?
or do we have to right in our votes ?
WOuld a poll not be better to keep track ?
I decided against a poll b/c in order to do that, I would have to have a list of say 3-5 nominations for each category. It would be too hard for me to come up with that list and for me to solicit everyone for 3-5 nominations for each category would be incredibly time consuming.

Believe me, a poll would be great b/c it would be easy to compile the votes, but the work that needs to be done before we even get to that stage would be extremely labor intensive for me.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Fantom

write in votes are flawed IMO though. you are going to get people that forget about posters. secondly people will see someone vote for Xposter and someone will eb like well it looks liek X poster works for me two. I would think only way to do it would be to have people Nominate people then put up a poll.
What ever happened to secret ballot!

Old
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Fantom

Quote:
I decided against a poll b/c in order to do that, I would have to have a list of say 3-5 nominations for each category. It would be too hard for me to come up with that list and for me to solicit everyone for 3-5 nominations for each category would be incredibly time consuming.

Believe me, a poll would be great b/c it would be easy to compile the votes, but the work that needs to be done before we even get to that stage would be extremely labor intensive for me.
what might be a good idea. Have the mods all 3 of them pick the people that should be voted on. this way you do not have to solicit everyone ?

Old
05-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
write in votes are flawed IMO though. you are going to get people that forget about posters. secondly people will see someone vote for Xposter and someone will eb like well it looks liek X poster works for me two. I would think only way to do it would be to have people Nominate people then put up a poll.
What ever happened to secret ballot!
I hear ya...but I'm not doing it that way.

Quote:
what might be a good idea. Have the mods all 3 of them pick the people that should be voted on. this way you do not have to solicit everyone ?
And then have people accuse me/us of having favorites or excluding certain people? No thanks.

Plus, there is the whole issue of the 3 of us. Clearly, we all deserve to be nominated in certain categories but if we nominate all of us for some categories, we'll be accused of rigging the contest. Again, no thanks.

(Not coming down on you here, Fantom but I have thought this out a bit and this is just going to be the most fair way that it can be done without causing me a WHOLE lot of work.)

Old
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Fantom

Quote:
I hear ya...but I'm not doing it that way.

And then have people accuse me/us of having favorites or excluding certain people? No thanks.

Plus, there is the whole issue of the 3 of us. Clearly, we all deserve to be nominated in certain categories but if we nominate all of us for some categories, we'll be accused of rigging the contest. Again, no thanks.

(Not coming down on you here, Fantom but I have thought this out a bit and this is just going to be the most fair way that it can be done without causing me a WHOLE lot of work.)
I know you are not. i just see your system more flawed.

Old
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
I know you are not. i just see your system more flawed.
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that it is flawed...but then again, that would make it perfect for this conspiracy-loving, dysfunctional mess of a community we have here, wouldn't it?

Old
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that it is flawed...but then again, that would make it perfect for this conspiracy-loving, dysfunctional mess of a community we have here, wouldn't it?
yes true. I just dont see why you cant take your post down tomorrow tally it up. take the top 5 vote getters and then post a poll ?

Old
05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
yes true. I just dont see why you cant take your post down tomorrow tally it up. take the top 5 vote getters and then post a poll ?
Because that is going to double the amount of time that it takes to complete this whole thing and it will clutter the board with the awards threads. This is meant to be a nice complimentary piece to the discussions on the boards, not to take them over.

Old
05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Bones45

Im not going to win any awards.. and Im ok with that.

However, Im going to nominate myself as give myself the award for sexiest avatar.

ANYONE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

Bones45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

However, Im going to nominate myself as give myself the award for sexiest avatar.

sorry, beach wins that one!

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

i do

Old
05-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Because that is going to double the amount of time that it takes to complete this whole thing and it will clutter the board with the awards threads. This is meant to be a nice complimentary piece to the discussions on the boards, not to take them over.
I just do not see it. o well.Yes it would be more but double is pushing it hehe.

Old
05-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post

Also, if this were a "global" contest, those Montreal/Edmonton fans would win. And that one with Carrie Underwood. DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
Yup, sexiest avatar goes to beach in a landslide. Hayden...and she's licking the Stanley Cup. Lord Stanley, indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post

Also, if this were a "global" contest, those Montreal/Edmonton fans would win. And that one with Carrie Underwood. DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, if you guys ever poke around some of the other boards, some posters have some great, great girlie avatars. Not sure if I've seen the Underwood one, Twine. Who has it?

Old
05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Yeah, if you guys ever poke around some of the other boards, some posters have some great, great girlie avatars. Not sure if I've seen the Underwood one, Twine. Who has it?
I ma not sure who, I know it's an Oilers fan but let me tell you this, I had no idea how hot she was until I saw that avatar. EASILY on my top 5 list after seeing that pic.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2007, 12:45 PM
NYIsles1*

moderator of the year thread

NYIsles1* is offline   Reply With Quote