HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHI's 1st rounder

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
PHI's 1st rounder

With respect to the new 1st round pick from Philly, the best things that can happen are:

a) Philly tanks
b) New Jersey does well
c) Anyone but PHI wins the Cup

Of course, the first one is the best. But Philadelphia and New Jersey are the only teams with a realistic chance of winning that division. The Cup winner gets the final pick in every round. In the first round only, the division winners get the bottom picks. So if Philly doesn't win the Cup or their division, the pick will be #23 or higher. It would really help if NJ won that division.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands right now.

Old
12-20-2003, 09:17 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Better than watching the Oilers play at the moment. But yes. The best chance is having New Jersey takes the division which is not too unlikely. Philly won again tonight and are, I believe, 6 pts ahead of the Devils.

However, the Devils have 3 games in hand. As long as Brodeur is around, they have an excellent opportunity at the division.

Old
12-20-2003, 10:25 PM
FacelessButcher

If I had my way I would just draft Mark Fistric with it born in Edmonton and big physical d to replace our soon to be bear cupboards he's right around that 27-30th overall level, then trade a player along with our first pick for a pick around 6-8th overall in the draft and grab Tukonen scoring right wing sniper we are lacking then were pretty good to go just little patches here and there.

Old
12-20-2003, 10:56 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
If I had my way I would just draft Mark Fistric with it born in Edmonton and big physical d to replace our soon to be bear cupboards he's right around that 27-30th overall level, then trade a player along with our first pick for a pick around 6-8th overall in the draft and grab Tukonen scoring right wing sniper we are lacking then were pretty good to go just little patches here and there.
Not to rag on a guy I know from High School, but I would not draft Mark Fistric. The physical part is there, but doesn't seem to have the head and drive to match. Maybe he's changed since I knew him, but I doubt it.

Old
12-21-2003, 10:50 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Better than watching the Oilers play at the moment. But yes. The best chance is having New Jersey takes the division which is not too unlikely. Philly won again tonight and are, I believe, 6 pts ahead of the Devils.

However, the Devils have 3 games in hand. As long as Brodeur is around, they have an excellent opportunity at the division.
It is only December, six points is not insurmountable and New Jersey also has an excellent team.

Lots of time left for many scenarios.

Old
12-21-2003, 12:39 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
With respect to the new 1st round pick from Philly, the best things that can happen are:

a) Philly tanks
b) New Jersey does well
c) Anyone but PHI wins the Cup

Of course, the first one is the best. But Philadelphia and New Jersey are the only teams with a realistic chance of winning that division. The Cup winner gets the final pick in every round. In the first round only, the division winners get the bottom picks. So if Philly doesn't win the Cup or their division, the pick will be #23 or higher. It would really help if NJ won that division.

Hm, I was under the impression that the Stanley Cup winner only drafted last in the first round, but then assumed their normal place in the pecking order after that?

Old
12-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
Hm, I was under the impression that the Stanley Cup winner only drafted last in the first round, but then assumed their normal place in the pecking order after that?
They draft according to their final regular season standings do they not? Someone please correct me on that. The only reason it seems that way (Stanley Cup winners drafting last) is because lately, it's been fairly predictable teams that are winning (Wings, Devils, Avs), all based on their regular season performance and standings.

Old
12-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
They draft according to their final regular season standings do they not? Someone please correct me on that. The only reason it seems that way (Stanley Cup winners drafting last) is because lately, it's been fairly predictable teams that are winning (Wings, Devils, Avs), all based on their regular season performance and standings.
No, the cup winner picks last reguardless of where they finished in the regular season. If the Oilers slipt into the playoffs at the eighth spot, and managed to win the cup, they would pick 30th.

Old
12-21-2003, 02:19 PM
The New Dynasty

I would say we draft Ryan Duncan if you are wondering who he is check out the Shattuck website for his stats. I have seen him play a few times as he was my friend when he still lived in Calgary and let me tell you the kid has amazing skills, he is a little small (5'8-5'9) but that dosn't mean he wont be effectiv, heck he has been making every top team since he was 5 and he has always been small.

Old
12-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
No, the cup winner picks last reguardless of where they finished in the regular season. If the Oilers slipt into the playoffs at the eighth spot, and managed to win the cup, they would pick 30th.
I stand corrected, thank you. Uh, about us winning the cup...hehe

Old
12-21-2003, 03:26 PM
jadeddog

well if the draft was today, we would pick 8th overall (pretty dam good)... so im not sure that we need to trade to get a higher draft pick.... now of course this season is LONG from over, but if the oilers keep playing like this for another 10 games or so, i could see the oilers management really start playing the rookies more and maybe bring some players up from toronto (rita, salmo maybe even lynch) so next year (whenever that is, lol) these players wont be raw rookies..... i say this because at some point, and that point is approcaing rather rapidly) you have to start looking at "next year country" and play younger players more to get them more experience

Old
12-22-2003, 12:08 PM
t0mf00lery

I am still holding out hope that we will be able to draft Cam Barker.

Old
12-22-2003, 08:56 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
well if the draft was today, we would pick 8th overall (pretty dam good)... so im not sure that we need to trade to get a higher draft pick.... now of course this season is LONG from over, but if the oilers keep playing like this for another 10 games or so, i could see the oilers management really start playing the rookies more and maybe bring some players up from toronto (rita, salmo maybe even lynch) so next year (whenever that is, lol) these players wont be raw rookies..... i say this because at some point, and that point is approcaing rather rapidly) you have to start looking at "next year country" and play younger players more to get them more experience
Good point, at what time should the oil say, hey we should get some of our rookies some experience, guys like Chimera, Laraque, Hoercoff, aren't doing much. The oil has a few players that could use a good look at the NHL level. On of the threads mentioned that Rita is in his final year of his contract, he's shown he can produce at the AHL level, why not give him a shot at the NHL level. If he proves to be a bust don't sign him for next year, what possibly could be bad about having a guy that has played well up on the big team?

GXL

Closed Thread