HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think of Kovalev for Satan?

Old
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
I wouldn't want Kovalev in the Islanders; he would cause too much trouble around here. Satan can be traded for a top 4 defenceman, since the Isles are not likely to bring back Sean Hill.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
A trade such as this only perpetuates what the organization is trying to currently extract of.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
CrimsonBruin21

I would consider it.... mainly b/c Kovalev: (1) has wheels (something we lack across the board- ESPECIALLY if Blake is gone); (2) is strong with the puck and could be helpful in setting Yashin up; and (3) could very well respond to Nolan.

But this would have to be about Plan "C" in my book... i.e. we strike out in free agency... are stuck with Yashin.... Blake walks... etc.

Did Kovalev and Zednik play on the same line together?

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:50 PM
stranger34

I would want it as part of a plan B (no smyth) Kovalev and Yash are buddies, I think Nolan could get a lot out of him, Kovalev is fast which we need. Kovalev is a playmaker unlike Satan, and we need that too.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Satan'sIsland81

I really dont get you guys sometimes. I always try to accept the theory that everybody is entitled to their opinion, but what do many of you have against Miro? He is the kind of goal scorer that we had always wanted prior to last year and then we got him all I have read about is how we should trade him. And Im not talking about only this year, even last year when the guy scored 35 goals there were a large amount of people talking about trading him 5 months after we signed him to a 3 year deal.

What is it with the people on this board who just want to trade everybody the minute that the play a game for us. In two seasons Satan has scored a combined 62 goals and 125 points and just by watching him I can see the guy cares (does anybody remember the emotion he showed when scoring that last second goal against the devils?), that he is responsible defensively and that he is nowhere near lazy. In fact he is always in on the forecheck and he plays the body much more than our other european players.

And now on top of all this I see people who want to trade him for KOVALEV!!!!!!!!! Miro supposedly had a "horrible season" according to so many of you yet he scored 27 goals while Kovalev scored 18. Miro according to many of you is a defensive liability and yes he was a -12 but Kovalev was a -19. How many games in the last two seasons has Miro singlehandedly won shootouts for us? If not for Miro we lose that shootout game against the Rags and dont make the playoffs. And as if this all was not enough, him and Kovalev make the same amount of money so its not like we would even be saving anything. Let me put it this way, I would honestly rather take Miro for 4 million than I would Kovalev for only 2 million.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
I really dont get you guys sometimes. I always try to accept the theory that everybody is entitled to their opinion, but what do many of you have against Miro? He is the kind of goal scorer that we had always wanted prior to last year and then we got him all I have read about is how we should trade him. And Im not talking about only this year, even last year when the guy scored 35 goals there were a large amount of people talking about trading him 5 months after we signed him to a 3 year deal.

What is it with the people on this board who just want to trade everybody the minute that the play a game for us. In two seasons Satan has scored a combined 62 goals and 125 points and just by watching him I can see the guy cares (does anybody remember the emotion he showed when scoring that last second goal against the devils?), that he is responsible defensively and that he is nowhere near lazy. In fact he is always in on the forecheck and he plays the body much more than our other european players.

And now on top of all this I see people who want to trade him for KOVALEV!!!!!!!!! Miro supposedly had a "horrible season" according to so many of you yet he scored 27 goals while Kovalev scored 18. Miro according to many of you is a defensive liability and yes he was a -12 but Kovalev was a -19. How many games in the last two seasons has Miro singlehandedly won shootouts for us? If not for Miro we lose that shootout game against the Rags and dont make the playoffs. And as if this all was not enough, him and Kovalev make the same amount of money so its not like we would even be saving anything. Let me put it this way, I would honestly rather take Miro for 4 million than I would Kovalev for only 2 million.

point taken. he definitely has value, my issue is that he seems to float looking for goals rather than taking the play and creating.

Old
05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
A trade such as this only perpetuates what the organization is trying to currently extract of.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Sounds like a textbook Milbury solution to me.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 11:12 PM
hgo

Quote:

Miro's lazy. People brand him in the same mold as Kozlov and Yashin and want to dump him and his salary. What they don't realize here is you're getting a lazier guy with less friendly contract in return if you get Kovalev, whether he's more talented or not.

Old
05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
point taken. he definitely has value, my issue is that he seems to float looking for goals rather than taking the play and creating.
Interesting that you say that. Kozlov does exactly the opposite - tries to create a little too much - yet he and Satan are frequently complained about in the same breath for being lazy.

Old
05-01-2007, 11:23 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
I really dont get you guys sometimes.
Try not to get so worked up about it. I'm sure most people would ship Yashin out way before Miro... but (absent a buy out) that ain't happening. Meanwhile, why would I trade Miro for Kovalev? Again- nothing directly critical to Satan- but Kovalev brings something this team lacks (and will be completely without if Blake walks)... SPEED... and WHEN motivated- Kovalev has been one of the elite offensive players in the league [Pittsburgh, Montreal (playoffs)]... Satan is not particularly fast and though a legit top 6 forward... has not reached the heights IMHO that Kovalev (at his best) has...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 12:00 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
Interesting that you say that. Kozlov does exactly the opposite - tries to create a little too much - yet he and Satan are frequently complained about in the same breath for being lazy.
well I really like kozlov, not so much Satan.

Old
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:

I agree with you, I would not trade Miro for Kovalev. I don't want the Isles to bring in another lazy player. But if we have the opportunity to trade Miro for a solid defenseman or a two way forward, I would jump at it. I think the Miro - Yashin - Kozlov trio has to go. Miro is the best of the three, but that is not saying much. He is a streaky scorer, who is irresponsible in his own zone. He occasionally shows heart out there, but not all that often. He is good in the shootout, better than most. For me, Satan not being a force in the playoffs really was the final straw.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Capt Reynolds

If we move Miro, it should be to free up cap space -- i.e., find a team starving for some scoring who is willing to give us a crappy pick in exchange for taking his salary akin to Philly giving away Roenick a few years back. Or at a minimum, if you want to move Miro, it's not for another underachiever that doesn't show up often enough.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin79 View Post
I would consider it.... mainly b/c Kovalev: (1) has wheels (something we lack across the board- ESPECIALLY if Blake is gone); (2) is strong with the puck and could be helpful in setting Yashin up; and (3) could very well respond to Nolan.

But this would have to be about Plan "C" in my book... i.e. we strike out in free agency... are stuck with Yashin.... Blake walks... etc.

Did Kovalev and Zednik play on the same line together?

yes they did....along with Koivu. They were the Habs #1 line when Zed scored 31 goals.

The good 'ol days.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Fantom

Apparently i am the only one on this board who likes MIRO. Yes he is SLIGHTLY overpaid. he is still a good player. Miro is still good for about 60 points a year. he is a perfect second line player IMO.
i wish he was making about.5M less though

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Apparently i am the only one on this board who likes MIRO. Yes he is SLIGHTLY overpaid. he is still a good player. Miro is still good for about 60 points a year. he is a perfect second line player IMO.
I actually like Miro, too. I think that at times, he gets unfairly lumped in with Yashin and Kozlov. Now, don't take that to mean that I think he is the second coming of Mike Bossy but Miro does something that not many of our wingers can do and that is score some goals. Yes, his overall play can be a bit lacking at times and he is streaky but he does have a knack for scoring and I'd be afraid that if we traded him, we'd struggle to replace the goals.

05-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Fastest way to lose the graces of the fans: Fail to show up in the playoffs.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Fastest way to lose the graces of the fans: Fail to show up in the playoffs.
Yeah, but if that is the case, most of us should probably go start posting on the Ducks board b/c very few of our guys actually produced in the playoffs.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Yeah, but if that is the case, most of us should probably go start posting on the Ducks board b/c very few of our guys actually produced in the playoffs.
While true, production and showing up aren't necessarily the same thing. Satan's paid to be a goal scorer and there were a number of games in that series where a timely goal by him would've made all the difference. And in those games, he had some glorious chances that he failed to convert. But moreover, was the lacking effort, in the playoffs of all places. One goal in five games isn't really acceptable from a guy who you pay 4m+ to pretty much just be a goal scorer. I'm not about to start busting the chops of guys like Smyth, Sillinger or Poti, who are also scorers and had similar production, but showed up in other ways -- played solid defense, worked hard all over the ice, etc. And I'm certainly not going to start getting down on guys like Witt, Park or Asham who aren't here to be scorers and who held up their role.

The biggest reason we lost was that the guys we're paying big dollars to be top scorers (Yashin and Satan) were anything but top scorers. The only reason I even consider taking Kovy over Satan is that Kovy has been very good in the playoffs over his entire career, whereas Satan's recent showing was pretty lackluster.

Last edited by Seph: 05-02-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
While true, production and showing up aren't necessarily the same thing. Satan's paid to be a goal scorer and there were a number of games in that series where a timely goal by him would've made all the difference. And in those games, he had some glorious chances that he failed to convert. But moreover, was the lacking effort, in the playoffs of all places. The only reason I even consider taking Kovy over Satan is that Kovy has been very good in the playoffs even for the Habs, whereas Satan's recent showing was pretty lackluster.
Alot of our team was pretty lackluster though.

Old
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
JP Parise

Quote:
Alot of our team was pretty lackluster though.
Seriously, other than the Sillinger/Smyth/Hunter line, there really weren't any standout efforts put forth by any Islander forward.

Personally, I don't think Satan looked any worse vs Buffalo than say... Blake.

They both had a goal and two assists, but Blake was a -2, whereas Satan finished the series even.

Nobody really looked good.

The only really outstanding turds were Alexei Yashin (nada,even) and Randy "What, Me Defend?" Robitaille (2 assists, -5).

Last edited by JP Parise: 05-02-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Correction on Robitaille
JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Parise View Post
Seriously, other than the Sillinger/Smyth/Hunter line, there really weren't any standout efforts put forth by any Islander forward.

Personally, I don't think Satan looked any worse vs Buffalo than say... Blake.

They both had a goal and two assists, but Blake was a -2, whereas Satan finished the series even.

Nobody really looked good.

The only really outstanding turds were Alexei Yashin (nada,even) and Randy "What, Me Defend?" Robitaille (nada, -5).
Yet people want to play blake ALOT more then he makes now.

Old
05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
I think Miro is a key player in the fact that he is great in the shootout, but beyond that, he doesn't seem to fit the type of player that Nolan wants on the team, but neither does Kovy. Miro seemed lazy and disappeared at times...but then again he was 3rd on the team in goals and had close to another 30 goal season. I'm not gonna go into the -12 cause pretty sure we already discussed that somewhere else. The whole Kovy for Satan thing isn't really going to get us anywere IMO...I'd rather keep Miro then.

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Seph

Quote:
Yet people want to play blake ALOT more then he makes now.
But few, if any, want to pay him what we're paying Satan, and that's even after he had a much better regular season and at worst a comparable post season as Satan.

Old
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
NYIsles2792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
With his recent comments about the front office, Kovalev seems to be talking his way out of Montreal. They both make $4.5 million, with Kovalev having an extra year left.
Satan had a better year, but I think a motivated Kovalev could be a beast. And if Wang decides to keep Yashin, his presence could only help. I know he can be erratic and moody, but so can the guy we would be trading him for. Then again, Satan on a contract year could be motivated to put up 40! What do you guys think?
no thanks.If we get anyone from montreal,we should get Samsonov,Higgins,or Komisarek.

NYIsles2792 is offline   Reply With Quote