HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Wholesale change in the new year (not necessarily immediate but inevitable)?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
To me, a rebuild is when the core players are changed for a new core.

Weight, Guerin, Hamrlik, Salo, et al were the core a few years ago, and since then, the team has 'rebuilt' it's core. Why is this so hard to understand? You honestly don't think Lowe has gone through a 'rebuild' in Edmonton? You're kidding yourself. You can call it a 'retooling' if you want, but it boils down to the same things - core players are exchanged for new core players. It might not have been rebuild if maybe three or four of those guys I mentioned above were still here, but fact is, they aren't (only Smyth and Salo remain by my count). In fact, look up and down the lineup, how many players that existed on that '99/'00 team and had a prominent role in the lineup are still around now?

I thought a rebuild happened in the mid 90's in getting Weight, Guerin, Smith, Smyth, and Salo, another rebuild around the turn of the century when the core changed to Smyth, Carter, Comrie, Marchant, Brewer, and Niinimaa. They look like they are 'retooling' from that right now, but a few more moves (if Smyth or Brewer is traded for instance), one could construe it to be yet another rebuild.

Old
12-21-2003, 12:39 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
To me, a rebuild is when the core players are changed for a new core.

Weight, Guerin, Hamrlik, Salo, et al were the core a few years ago, and since then, the team has 'rebuilt' it's core. Why is this so hard to understand? You honestly don't think Lowe has gone through a 'rebuild' in Edmonton? You're kidding yourself. You can call it a 'retooling' if you want, but it boils down to the same things - core players are exchanged for new core players. It might not have been rebuild if maybe three or four of those guys I mentioned above were still here, but fact is, they aren't (only Smyth and Salo remain by my count). In fact, look up and down the lineup, how many players that existed on that '99/'00 team and had a prominent role in the lineup are still around now?

I thought a rebuild happened in the mid 90's in getting Weight, Guerin, Smith, Smyth, and Salo, another rebuild around the turn of the century when the core changed to Smyth, Carter, Comrie, Marchant, Brewer, and Niinimaa. They look like they are 'retooling' from that right now, but a few more moves (if Smyth or Brewer is traded for instance), one could construe it to be yet another rebuild.
At this point, you are simply arguing semantics. I think most people would constitute a full-scale rebuilding process as one akin to Carolina/Atlanta/Florida where high draft picks are acquired and the team is rebuilt from the ground up with young players.

Going by your definition, one could assume that the New York Rangers have also undergone a "rebuild" in your definition. Even Los Angeles? The problem with your definition is that it is entirely too open-ended and vague to have any substantial meaning. Going by your definition, nearly every team goes through a partial rebuild every offseason.

You can scoff all you like. But a rebuilding process where it has landed the Oilers a 90 pt season most every year should be impressive even by your standards.

This team is already in a partial rebuild if you look at the roster. I have no qualms with Lowe finally attempting the youth movement simply because of the "retooling" that has been done to try and limp the Oilers into the postseason. So, in essence, he has not really undergone a full-scale rebuild. What he "has" tried to accomplish is to acquire the personnel to keep the Oilers competitive in the present. Whether or not you believe that to be successful or not is irrelevant. However, that is what Lowe has done.

Whether you want to call that a rebuild or not depends on your definition. But when your definitions are as vague as they are, there's a lot to be left for interpretation.

Last edited by momentai: 12-21-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old
12-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Didn't I address this last week with you? I am sure I did. Here we go. Actually it was 3 days ago...

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=22

I think there is something to be said about having veterans around to lead by example. Not that having veterans is an absolute necessity, just that it doesn't hurt.

This, of course, is what Oates was brought in to do and what Lowe was thinking when he entertained the idea of having Messier back this year. Athletes, just like everyboy else, can be told the same thing over and over and it won't stick until they are finally shown what is required.

Mac T can say 'do this', 'you guys have to buy in', 'you have to make the commitment yourselves', etc... until he's blue in the face and nothing will change. Not until Smyth, Smith and Oates? (I think it will take time for the young guys to truly see Oates as a leader on this team) go out and do what Mac T asks, will anything change.

Management/Coaching just needs to find out what buttons motivate individual players. And as Muckler said the other day, 'this changes every year.' That is the difficulty of coaching. Finding what new buttons to push each year for each player and pushing them.

Remember how bad Smyth played last year until Lowe said to the media something like, 'Ryan has to decide if he's going to play hockey or run his restaurant.' When they find out what this years hot button is, look out.

There is plenty of talent on this team to make the playoffs and even get to the second round. But the true potential is for after 2004.

T

Closed Thread