HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

NHL Awards discussion

Old
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Masterplan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I compare the job that Nolan did to the job that Renney did last season and he was nominated. And I agree that Nolan should have been a finalist.
I agree 100%.

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I like the nominations of Pandolfo and Pahlsson for the Selke.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Exactly. And the Pens coach is going to win with 2 of the most dynamic players in the league surrounded by the best young talent the league has to offer. A hampster can coach that team.
I disagree, personally. Young players tend to have the least self-direction, especially in comparison to older vets. Getting them all going in one direction is a huge challenge, and the coach has to fill in for all the missing experience on top of that. Winning with a young talented team is hardly an easy feat.

Honestly, I think it's a pretty good list, one of the better ones in a while at the very least. While yeah, I could have some quibbles here and there (namely Kipper, who's clearly there based more on rep than play this season), I think the people nominated are very deserving. Not that there weren't other people who deserved it also, but when you only have 3 slots, someone deserving is always going to get shaft.

Last edited by Seph: 05-01-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:08 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
I compare the job that Nolan did to the job that Renney did last season and he was nominated. And I agree that Nolan should have been a finalist.
Big difference. Jagr actually produced a majority of the season leading HIS team to 1st place.

NYI's Russian Albatross worked wonders in OCT/NOV and did jack crap the rest of the way. IF Yashin played to MVP caliber, then Nolan would be nominated. Absent that, when your best player,captain, highest paid stinks up the joint again, don't be disappointed...

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
You CAN'T be considered one of the top 3 goaltenders in the league when you can't crack the top 5 in either GAA or SV%.
Well, I guess you CAN since he DID.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I disagree, personally. Young players tend to have the least self-direction, especially in comparison to older vets. Getting them all going in one direction is a huge challenge, and the coach has to fill in for all the missing experience on top of that. Winning with a young talented team is hardly an easy feat.
I agree to a point. A young team is hard to win with but when was the last time there was a team this young while being this SUPREMELY talented? There are young talented teams, and then there are the Pens, who are in a class by themselves. My point is, they are so deeply talented, that it can make up for alot of mistakes young players tend to make. Thats going to be one powerhouse team for the next few years until Sid, Malkin and Stall meet their paydays.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Big difference. Jagr actually produced a majority of the season leading HIS team to 1st place.

NYI's Russian Albatross worked wonders in OCT/NOV and did jack crap the rest of the way. IF Yashin played to MVP caliber, then Nolan would be nominated. Absent that, when your best player,captain, highest paid stinks up the joint again, don't be disappointed...
If you want to go in that direction, Nolan does not deserve to nominted then. Renney got Jagr to play hard game in and game out. He found a way to get through to him.

If Jagr is the biggest difference, then Nolan takes a hit for getting underwhelming production from is most talented player.

My point is both coaches respective teams (that is Renney's Rangers last season and Nolan's Islanders this season) were projected to be among the worst teams in the league. Both teams played very well, surprised, and made the playoffs.

05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
sonnyisles

Quote:
Theodore was recognized several years ago based on his post ASG performances that led MON to 8th place...

As usual, folks seem to disregard that the league,players, gm's, etc. give a LOT more weight to pressure situations of the post-ASG then they do the what someone did in OCT/NOV.
I guess it's kind of similar to the College Football top 20 rankings. A loss in the early part of the season is not nearly as damaging as a loss in the latter part.

sonnyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
I'm a bit surprised Ted Nolan wasn't even nominated. To go from being projected last in the NHL to making the playoffs is certainly a big jump and should've garnered some recognition.
I thought that was really ****ed up.

Quote:
The Jack Adams Award is awarded annually "to the NHL coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success," as selected by the NHL Broadcasters' Association.
So what do you all think? Has Lindy Ruff contributed more to his teams success then any other coach has done to their own? I personally dont think so.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Are you sure? Check Kiprusoff's GAA and SV%, also what city he plays in.
He plays on a CANADIAN TEAM Sonny...NONE of them ever fall through the cracks when it comes to hockey.

Last edited by RWWallpaper: 05-01-2007 at 02:22 PM.
RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:19 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
If you want to go in that direction, Nolan does not deserve to nominted then. Renney got Jagr to play hard game in and game out. He found a way to get through to him.

If Jagr is the biggest difference, then Nolan takes a hit for getting underwhelming production from is most talented player.

My point is both coaches respective teams (that is Renney's Rangers last season and Nolan's Islanders this season) were projected to be among the worst teams in the league. Both teams played very well, surprised, and made the playoffs.
I got your point. Less value is placed on the supposed 'rank' of a team in the offseason vs. what it accomplishes during the season.

I think your 1st two blurbs trump your final one. Renney deserved it last year, but Nolan does not deserve it this year.

blitzkriegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Well, I guess you CAN since he DID.
You want to play semantics with me TE? Of course you CAN because he DID. The point was, and STILL is, is that in a season in which you finish where Lundy finished as far as GAA and SV% are concerned you CAN'T be listed as one of the top 3 in the league and have the award have ANY meaning whatsoever.

Old
05-01-2007, 02:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I got your point. Less value is placed on the supposed 'rank' of a team in the offseason vs. what it accomplishes during the season.

I think your 1st two blurbs trump your final one. Renney deserved it last year, but Nolan does not deserve it this year.
Fair enough. I do believe that Nolan deserves it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Killer Carlson

Enough with the back and forth about this. Healthy debate is fine but this is headed down another road. Clean it up...and quick.

05-01-2007, 02:30 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I love the NHL and the media favors the Rangers cry.Last season,Jagr should have won the Hart.He was the best player in the NHL and a major reason why the Rangers ended up where they ended up after SI had them finishing 30th overall.Jagr had a bad final month as did the Rangers.Joe Thornton and SJ came from nowhere to capture a playoff spot.Thornton was named MVP after he quit on the Bruins.The eastern media voted for Jagr but the western media and Canadian media voted for Big Bird

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:32 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
And at least Lundy has somewhat of a D in front of him. Ricky has EXCELLENT numbers and if the people who vote for these things actually realized what DP had to put up with every night (40 shots/game...MOST from close range), maybe he would get some consideration. Ricky did it all by himself... he was the ENTIRE defense HIMSELF!

i bolded what is horrendously wrong.

Rangers D is horrific. Lundquist is the sole reason for the playoff spot and 6th slot...not Avery...as any savvy Ranger will tell you.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Thornton was named MVP after he quit on the Bruins.
He did what now?

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
I'm a bit surprised Ted Nolan wasn't even nominated. To go from being projected last in the NHL to making the playoffs is certainly a big jump and should've garnered some recognition.
Ted Nolan not even being nominated is beyond a travesty.... The man has a lot of enemies though...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
McRanger

I find 2 things comical:

1) that people think the Rangers get special consideration from the league

and

2) that people think the Rangers defense is that good. Lundqvist IS the defense, take him away and its abysmal, on paper and on the ice.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin79 View Post
Ted Nolan not even being nominated is beyond a travesty.... The man has a lot of enemies though...
I like Nolan but I honestly don't believe he had a better year than any of the 3 nominees.

BTW, I keep reading on this board that we were picked for 30th. Did someone actually pick us below the Caps and the Blues b/c I don't remember that. I know that Nolan recently said that we were picked for 30th but I think he was wrong unless someone can hit me up with a link.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin79 View Post

i like Ted a lot. But a team eking into an 8th spot didn't..and shouldn't..really wow anyone to giving him anything.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
letsgoisles89

Lundqvist's '06-'07 split stats
Pre All-Star Break: 19-15-2 2.83 GAA .903 sv% 1 SO
Post All-Star Break: 18-7-6 1.80 GAA .934 sv% 4 SO

come onnn!! u gotta consider the entire season when ur voting for the finalists!! lundqvist was nothing more than average the first half of the season...
what hockey fan would want a goalie to win the vezina that tries to pull himself from games and abuses ice girls? haha

letsgoisles89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I love the NHL and the media favors the Rangers cry.Last season,Jagr should have won the Hart.He was the best player in the NHL and a major reason why the Rangers ended up where they ended up after SI had them finishing 30th overall.Jagr had a bad final month as did the Rangers.Joe Thornton and SJ came from nowhere to capture a playoff spot.Thornton was named MVP after he quit on the Bruins.The eastern media voted for Jagr but the western media and Canadian media voted for Big Bird
"Big Bird" ended up with more points the JJ and was every bit as important to San Jose as JJ was to the Rangers. If Thornton was in not in the top 7 of either goals or assists and was given consideration then it would be similar issue. The guy went to a new team and won a scoring title so to say it's not fair to give him the Hart is absurd. You can argue that JJ also deserved it, and I would agree with that, but you can't make a case for it being unfair considering the numbers Joe posted.

Old
05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D. Gallof View Post
i bolded what is horrendously wrong.

Rangers D is horrific. Lundquist is the sole reason for the playoff spot and 6th slot...not Avery...as any savvy Ranger will tell you.
I'm not so sure that can be said anymore. Is there a star? No. Is there a true #1 or #2 defenseman? No. But the unit is proving to be pretty effective. Girardi and Mara were upgrades over Kasparaitis and Ward. The team gave up the second fewest goals against in the East. Lundqvist was brilliant. But I'm not sure it can be said that the Ranger defense is horrific.

It's come a long way from the days of Rich Pilon, Sylvan Lefebvre, Stephane Qunital, Greg de Vries.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
"Big Bird" ended up with more points the JJ and was every bit as important to San Jose as JJ was to the Rangers. If Thornton was in not in the top 7 of either goals or assists and was given consideration then it would be similar issue. The guy went to a new team and won a scoring title so to say it's not fair to give him the Hart is absurd. You can argue that JJ also deserved it, and I would agree with that, but you can't make a case for it being unfair considering the numbers Joe posted.
It is when Jagr was the best player in the league last season.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote