HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Awards discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
  #51
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post

BTW, I keep reading on this board that we were picked for 30th. Did someone actually pick us below the Caps and the Blues b/c I don't remember that. I know that Nolan recently said that we were picked for 30th but I think he was wrong unless someone can hit me up with a link.
I don't have a link but I did read that in a few pre-season publications. Nolan was'nt talking out of his ass on this one. Dang, wish I had a link.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
  #52
sonnyisles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D. Gallof View Post
i like Ted a lot. But a team eking into an 8th spot didn't..and shouldn't..really wow anyone to giving him anything.
I agree. I like Nolan and am glad that he's the coach of the Isles. I hope he's here for a long time. That being said, I wouldn't put him ahead of any of the guys that were nominated. Hopefully in the future he'll be there but he doesn't deserve it this season. And although if we wave our Islanders pom poms we could maybe make a case for him, I really don't think you can call it a travesty that he wasn't nominated.

sonnyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
  #53
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,685
vCash: 500
If Lundqvist's numbers weren't so obscene in the second half of the season, he likely wouldn't have gotten nominated. But they were absurd, and he was huge in helping the Rangers secure a playoff spot, so that's what they were looking at.

Also, the Rangers D was pretty mediocre for a lot of the year, but it did tighten up towards the end, so I wouldn't make statements about Lundqvist being the entire D himself. But hey, it's not like Brodeur and Luongo didn't play behind good defenses...good goalies who win this award usually have good teams in front of them.

Basically the voters saw a goalie ride an incredible hot streak into the playoffs, so that's why he got the votes. I doubt it has anything to do with him being from NYC

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
  #54
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I don't have a link but I did read that in a few pre-season publications. Nolan was'nt talking out of his ass on this one. Dang, wish I had a link.
I saw us listed very close to the bottom in many publications but never dead last like Nolan said. Many people had the Caps, Blues, Blackhawks and Coyotes ranked below us and there were others that had the Pens and others below us as well.

__________________
No more running. I aim to misbehave.
Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:50 PM
  #55
Sonny Lamateena
Registered User
 
Sonny Lamateena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 50
I think what you will end up seeing with the Vezina voting is all the first and second place votes going to either Brodeur or Luongo and Kipper and Lundqvist finishing tied at a distant 3rd with a bunch of goalies also very close to them in voting. So really its a two goalie race and anyone who finishes 3rd - 10th being about equal.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
  #56
Volek25
Registered User
 
Volek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
Lundqvist's '06-'07 split stats
Pre All-Star Break: 19-15-2 2.83 GAA .903 sv% 1 SO
Post All-Star Break: 18-7-6 1.80 GAA .934 sv% 4 SO

come onnn!! u gotta consider the entire season when ur voting for the finalists!! lundqvist was nothing more than average the first half of the season...
what hockey fan would want a goalie to win the vezina that tries to pull himself from games and abuses ice girls? haha
I agree buddy, if Vezina meant for the goalie who had an OK 1st half and great 2nd half to a season, then Lundqvist should win...but this is ridiculous.

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
  #57
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
It is when Jagr was the best player in the league last season.
I agree with that but you can't make it out to be the guy was robbed when you look at what Thornton did for the Sharks last year. It's DEBATABLE to say the least. Lundy being in the top 3 is not as far as I am concerned.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:57 PM
  #58
rbw
Registered User
 
rbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you want to go in that direction, Nolan does not deserve to nominted then. Renney got Jagr to play hard game in and game out. He found a way to get through to him.

If Jagr is the biggest difference, then Nolan takes a hit for getting underwhelming production from is most talented player.

My point is both coaches respective teams (that is Renney's Rangers last season and Nolan's Islanders this season) were projected to be among the worst teams in the league. Both teams played very well, surprised, and made the playoffs.
Dunno- I think Nolan got more out of Yash this year than any coach has on LI; look at the first half numbers. [Hastily added: not close to the what he's being paid, or near what someone with a C should do, etc., I know] Hard to say how much of the second half was the knee, but overall, I thought Yash contributed far more this year than in any other year he's been here.

I'm disappointed that Nolan wasn't on the list, and hope it doesn't feed more of the "everyone's against me" mentality TN sometimes shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I like Nolan but I honestly don't believe he had a better year than any of the 3 nominees.

BTW, I keep reading on this board that we were picked for 30th. Did someone actually pick us below the Caps and the Blues b/c I don't remember that. I know that Nolan recently said that we were picked for 30th but I think he was wrong unless someone can hit me up with a link.
Most of the big names only pick first, etc. (TSN, etc.), but I found this one. Very perceptive analysis of DiP... :

http://www.canadianwild.ca/sports/nhl2006.html

rbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
  #59
ProtecYaNet
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ProtecYaNet
Didn't DP have an amazing second half as well? I guess the reporters just happened to miss how much he was missed when he was out with concussions.

ProtecYaNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
  #60
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw View Post
Most of the big names only pick first, etc. (TSN, etc.), but I found this one. Very perceptive analysis of DiP... :

http://www.canadianwild.ca/sports/nhl2006.html
Good find, rbw. However, their opinion should be thrown out if you look at their list of the top 100 players in the league. They had Crosby at #22. Sheesh!

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
  #61
hgo
Registered User
 
hgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D. Gallof View Post
i bolded what is horrendously wrong.

Rangers D is horrific. Lundquist is the sole reason for the playoff spot and 6th slot...not Avery...as any savvy Ranger will tell you.
Ask any Rangers fan about Malik, and you'll hear all about their defense.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
  #62
Hunter07
Registered User
 
Hunter07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,787
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Good find, rbw. However, their opinion should be thrown out if you look at their list of the top 100 players in the league. They had Crosby at #22. Sheesh!
I think SI had Isles dead last...not sure if I have the article anymore or not

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
  #63
rbw
Registered User
 
rbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
I think SI had Isles dead last...not sure if I have the article anymore or not
I had that in my head, too, but all I could find on their site were division by division predictions. One of their writers, though, did predict that Nolan would be the first coach fired in the 2006-2007 season:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ons/index.html

Prescient. These guys are just prescient.

rbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
  #64
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,937
vCash: 500
I wonder if wings fans think babcock should have been nominated?

The Fact that players thnk of Lecavalier as an MVP and writers don't tells you all you need to know.

As for last year, Thornton wins because he elevated the play of those around him.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
  #65
Sather Hater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I agree with that but you can't make it out to be the guy was robbed when you look at what Thornton did for the Sharks last year. It's DEBATABLE to say the least. Lundy being in the top 3 is not as far as I am concerned.
Lundqvist is the only goalie in the league to be top 10 in every single statistical goalie category. Brodeur & Luongo did not make the top 10 for shootout numbers. Some people might not take the shootout numbers as seriously, but the NHL keeps track of the goalie's stats, and shootout wins have a direct result on the teams points and do play a big role in who makes the playoffs. Just look at a team like Florida which lost around 10 shootouts and missed the playoffs by 6 points.

It's funny how people are complaining about Lundqvist being a nominee, what about Kipper? Lundqvist had a better GAA and plays in a higher scoring conference, and does not have arguably one of the top defensive core's in the league like Calgary's in front of him.

It's obviously a two man race between Brodeur and Luongo. For the third nominee there were probably 4 or 5 names that floated around - Lundqvist, Kipper, Giguere, & Hasek, etc.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
  #66
ProtecYaNet
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ProtecYaNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
Lundqvist is the only goalie in the league to be top 10 in every single statistical goalie category. Brodeur & Luongo did not make the top 10 for shootout numbers. Some people might not take the shootout numbers as seriously, but the NHL keeps track of the goalie's stats, and shootout wins have a direct result on the teams points and do play a big role in who makes the playoffs. Just look at a team like Florida which lost around 10 shootouts and missed the playoffs by 6 points.

It's funny how people are complaining about Lundqvist being a nominee, what about Kipper? Lundqvist had a better GAA and plays in a higher scoring conference, and does not have arguably one of the top defensive core's in the league like Calgary's in front of him.

It's obviously a two man race between Brodeur and Luongo. For the third nominee there were probably 4 or 5 names that floated around - Lundqvist, Kipper, Giguere, & Hasek.

Personally I don't think GAA and/or wins tells you how good a goalie the tender is. Save percentage is the best statistic for this, but even that can distort things. Besides, where was Lundy in amout of concussions recieve on that top 10 list???

ProtecYaNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
  #67
E_Godard
Registered User
 
E_Godard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Section 103
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I like Nolan but I honestly don't believe he had a better year than any of the 3 nominees.

BTW, I keep reading on this board that we were picked for 30th. Did someone actually pick us below the Caps and the Blues b/c I don't remember that. I know that Nolan recently said that we were picked for 30th but I think he was wrong unless someone can hit me up with a link.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/preview...preislanders06

ESPN picked us for 15th in the east, which to me equates us to a 30th or 29th place finish. Regardless if thats the actual outcome or not, thats basically where they see us falling.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
  #68
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I saw us listed very close to the bottom in many publications but never dead last like Nolan said. Many people had the Caps, Blues, Blackhawks and Coyotes ranked below us and there were others that had the Pens and others below us as well.
I know ESPN had us dead last in the East, which at least accounts for the Caps.

Edit: oops, Egod beat me to it.


Last edited by Seph: 05-01-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
  #69
Sather Hater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtecYaNet View Post
Besides, where was Lundy in amout of concussions recieve on that top 10 list???
That's the "Lindros" award to be handed out by Brett and Eric annually to the player with the most concussions in a season (after Eric finally retires due to concussion problems).

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 04:05 PM
  #70
ProtecYaNet
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ProtecYaNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
That's the "Lindros" award to be handed out by Brett and Eric annually to the player with the most concussions in a season (after Eric finally retires due to concussion problems).
oh man... brutal. Think conolly should get a nomination as well

ProtecYaNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 04:18 PM
  #71
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2006/news/story?page=preislanders06

ESPN picked us for 15th in the east, which to me equates us to a 30th or 29th place finish. Regardless if thats the actual outcome or not, thats basically where they see us falling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I know ESPN had us dead last in the East, which at least accounts for the Caps.
Fair enough. Thanks.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
  #72
Capt Reynolds
Registered User
 
Capt Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Fair enough. Thanks.
This is the appropriate time for Twine to post that jpg of the cowboy getting kicked in the jewels by a bull with P@WNED! emblazoned across it.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
  #73
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volek25 View Post
I agree buddy, if Vezina meant for the goalie who had an OK 1st half and great 2nd half to a season, then Lundqvist should win...but this is ridiculous.

He didn't win and isn't going to so you can put to rest your fears. Though it's a deserved nomination. In my opinion (and obviously that of the voters) being the best for half a season >>> being above average all season.


Plus who would you put above him from the teams that finished in the playoffs? The only goalie who made the playoffs that had better stats the Lundqvist in 2 outa 3 areas (sve gaa and wins) was Giguere....cept he had 2 norris finalists playing in front of him

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
  #74
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
This is the appropriate time for Twine to post that jpg of the cowboy getting kicked in the jewels by a bull with P@WNED! emblazoned across it.
The fact that you mixed me up with Twine will make me have to post that pic on myself.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE INSULTED, JOE DYTON.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
  #75
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
If that argument is going to be made then the Pens coach should not even be MENTIONED when talking about the Jack Adams trophy.
Exactly. The Adams nominations ARE a travesty. Give Nolan Crosby and Therien Yashin... please....

Not even to mention the suspensions and injuries suffered down the stretch... and don't give me "everyone has injuries"... true... but the Isles had by far one of the least thought of rosters going in.... So the journalists basically say he has a sh1tty team when it's 100% healthy and should be thinking about the lottery.... then he absorbs devastating injuries to said roster... and still gets the team into the playoffs with Yoda in net and at the expense at the much more highly regarded Maple Leafs and Canadiens (some pubs. I read had the Habs in the Finals)...

TRAVESTY

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.