HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Awards discussion

Old
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
OpAck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtecYaNet View Post
Didn't DP have an amazing second half as well? I guess the reporters just happened to miss how much he was missed when he was out with concussions.
I can't get a breakdown of GAA nor save %, but here is his record:

DiPi 1st half: 19-16-2, 4 shutouts
DiPi 2nd half: 13-3-7, 1 shutout

Finished season with 2.58 GAA and .919 save %.

Only three regulation losses in the second half, of course, he did miss a cluster of games.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I can't get a breakdown of GAA nor save %, but here is his record:

DiPi 1st half: 19-16-2, 4 shutouts
DiPi 2nd half: 13-3-7, 1 shutout

Finished season with 2.58 GAA and .919 save %.

Only three regulation losses in the second half, of course, he did miss a cluster of games.
I'm assuming the 3-5 or 6 place finalists were quite close DP being right in there, but if youre looking at second half of season stats no one was better then Lundqvist in any department.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 06:26 PM
macleod50

Kinda surprised about Lecavalier not being in there.

Completely expected to see Lundqvist in the Vezina running. As much as Isles fans want to say how much the D sucked this year. The Rangers D was pretty bad as well. Lundqvist had to worry about the opposing team and his D scoring on him.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The fact that you mixed me up with Twine will make me have to post that pic on myself.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE INSULTED, JOE DYTON.
I'll be honest here...it took me a long time to be able to distinguish Twine Seeking Missle, Richie Daggers Crime and Pure Slaughter Value. Must be the 3 name thing b/c I also used to confuse all of you with Philip Michael Thomas.

05-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Philip Michael Thomas is rad on his own... the fact that he's in space AND shirtless makes that pic priceless.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Philip Michael Thomas is rad on his own... the fact that he's in space AND shirtless makes that pic priceless.
Yeah, gotta love Google image searches. You just never know what kind of gold you can find out there on the interwebs.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Titan124

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I find 2 things comical:

1) that people think the Rangers get special consideration from the league

and

2) that people think the Rangers defense is that good. Lundqvist IS the defense, take him away and its abysmal, on paper and on the ice.
Rangers defense does suck, but the Rangers do get special treatment. There is no reason that Lundqvist deserves the nod over DiPietro, ZERO! This season, everything Lundqvist did DP did better.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHill View Post
Rangers defense does suck, but the Rangers do get special treatment. There is no reason that Lundqvist deserves the nod over DiPietro, ZERO! This season, everything Lundqvist did DP did better.
I dunno. Lundqvist has the edge as far as slapping the Ice Girls around goes... unless DiPi is doing his business off the ice.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Titan124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
Lundqvist is the only goalie in the league to be top 10 in every single statistical goalie category. Brodeur & Luongo did not make the top 10 for shootout numbers. Some people might not take the shootout numbers as seriously, but the NHL keeps track of the goalie's stats, and shootout wins have a direct result on the teams points and do play a big role in who makes the playoffs. Just look at a team like Florida which lost around 10 shootouts and missed the playoffs by 6 points.

It's funny how people are complaining about Lundqvist being a nominee, what about Kipper? Lundqvist had a better GAA and plays in a higher scoring conference, and does not have arguably one of the top defensive core's in the league like Calgary's in front of him.

It's obviously a two man race between Brodeur and Luongo. For the third nominee there were probably 4 or 5 names that floated around - Lundqvist, Kipper, Giguere, & Hasek, etc.
You're right. Lundqvist is a master of shootout which means he should win.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
hgo

For all of you saying DiPietro deserves this more than Lundqvist...don't forget that DiPietro was hurt at the end of the year, for one. Plus, Lundqvist's stats are slightly better. And besides, it's not like he'll actually win the award, so so what?

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I'm mildly surprised that Nolan wasn't nominated for Coach of the year. Though given the way the league has interacted with Nolan. I'm starting to get the impression, reinforced by the history between them that Nolan isn't a favorite of the league.

Hmm, maybe we can nominate him for something on our Annual Board Awards.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

good so when we win, it will ****ing burn them even more

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Choice

I think the biggest surprise is that Ted Nolan wasnt nominated for Jack Adams. I definitely think he did the best coaching job this year, and really wanted him to win the JA.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHill View Post
This season, everything Lundqvist did DP did better.

Wins:
Lundqvist: 37
DP: 32
Assessment - DP did better? Incorrect

GAA:
Lundqvist: 2.34
DP: 2.58

Save Percentage:
Lundqvist: .917
DP: .919
Assessment - DP did better? Correct

Shutouts:
Lundqvist: 5
DP: 5
Assessment - DP did better? Incorrect, draw

PS: Nolan should have easily of been on the list for coach of the year. He did an amazing job for you guys.

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post
The argument against Lecav is that he had St. Louis right there with him throughout the season.

It's hard to say that he was the most valuable to his team when both of them had such a tremendous season.
Nothing personal, but that premise is ridiculous. Bryan Trottier won the Hart Trophy the same season linemate Mike Bossy scored 69 goals.

This goes back to the ABSURD HF logic that a player is only "truly great" if he performs his personal feats in a vacuum on a lousy team. Produce on a winning team? Your achievements are somehow diminshed, says the geniuses.

The Marty Brodeur Syndrome.

Reality is, great players produce numbers that lead to team success. And they both parlay and create successful teammates.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13 View Post
Wins:

GAA:

Save Percentage:

Shutouts:

PS: Nolan should have easily of been on the list for coach of the year. He did an amazing job for you guys.
Well I think Save% is a much better statistic than GAA. I also think you should of done win % and not wins because DP was out for some time. But overall your right, its a draw pretty much

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 01:34 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Nothing personal, but that premise is ridiculous. Bryan Trottier won the Hart Trophy the same season linemate Mike Bossy scored 69 goals.

This goes back to the ABSURD HF logic that a player is only "truly great" if he performs his personal feats in a vacuum on a lousy team. Produce on a winning team? Your achievements are somehow diminshed, says the geniuses.

The Marty Brodeur Syndrome.

Reality is, great players produce numbers that lead to team success. And they both parlay and create successful teammates.
Hey, I'm with you. This is just what I've read from several sources and I'm sure what you would be told by the people that voted for the finalists.

Why else wouldn't he be in there?

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
ProtecYaNet

Send a message via AIM to ProtecYaNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13 View Post
Wins:

GAA:

Save Percentage:

Shutouts:

How about that extra dimension DP has? He's like an extra defensman back there with his outlet passes. How many times to d-men hang back anticipating that homerun pass which relieves some attacking pressure? All I'm saying is that stats don't always tell the tale. If there is one that does, it's the sv%.

ProtecYaNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Capt Reynolds

I don't think anyone can (or, frankly, is trying to) deny that DiPietro easily *could be* a Vezina candidate. But at the same time he also certainly is not such leaps and bounds better than the top netminders in the league that it's some great travesty that he didn't get a nod here. Islander fans really have this persecution complex where we constantly think "we wuz robbed," it's really embarassing.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dyton View Post
Islander fans really have this persecution complex where we constantly think "we wuz robbed," it's really embarassing.
Amen, bro.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
The fact that you mixed me up with Twine will make me have to post that pic on myself.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE INSULTED, JOE DYTON.
Messed up. So you would rather be mixed up with St. Bonnies? I think I will kill myself now.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Choice

No Nolan for JA?

I dont think DP deserved Vezina consideration, but in my mind Ted Nolan should win the Jack Adams this year. He got a team that even many of you guys considered a joke over the offseason to believe in itself and make the playoffs. He got something out of Yashin, who many people had written off. He kept them together when the DP concussions threatened to send them into a downward spiral. Especially over Therrien who only had the best player on the planet helping him win games.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
E_Godard

Im not sure he shouldve won, but I cant figure out how he didnt make the top 3. He is the reason our team went as far as we did. Made a huge impact on the players and what they gave each night on the ice. Some of the coachs that did make the list really confuse me.

No offense to the Buffalo fans, but your team and their amount of talent is what got them this far. I dont believe it was the coaching.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post

No offense to the Buffalo fans, but your team and their amount of talent is what got them this far. I dont believe it was the coaching.
EXACTLY! It's NEVER the coaching. If it was the coaching, Ruff's Sabres would have been this good for the last 10 years. This year and last year they were good. They were an "ok" team for many years before that, WITH Ruff as head coach.

As far as I am concerned, coaches/managers in sports are not as important as so many make them out to be. The fact is, if you have talent on the field/ice/court, you have a much better chance to win. Joe Torre had a HORRIBLE managing record before he got to the Yanks, then BAM... 4 world series in 5 years. Why? Because he had good players. Phil Jackson had Micheal Jordan/Scottie Pippen... Bulls win world championship after world championship. Then he goes to LA and has Kobe/Shaq... wins more championships. How is Mr. Jackson doing right now with ONLY Kobe? It's all about the players

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
EXACTLY! It's NEVER the coaching. If it was the coaching, Ruff's Sabres would have been this good for the last 10 years. This year and last year they were good. They were an "ok" team for many years before that, WITH Ruff as head coach.

As far as I am concerned, coaches/managers in sports are not as important as so many make them out to be. The fact is, if you have talent on the field/ice/court, you have a much better chance to win. Joe Torre had a HORRIBLE managing record before he got to the Yanks, then BAM... 4 world series in 5 years. Why? Because he had good players. Phil Jackson had Micheal Jordan/Scottie Pippen... Bulls win world championship after world championship. Then he goes to LA and has Kobe/Shaq... wins more championships. How is Mr. Jackson doing right now with ONLY Kobe? It's all about the players
THen i come back to you with this gem. If it is all about players why did the rangers suck for some any years ?
How did the canes win the cup ?
How is it that teams like NJ ALWAYS play a solid game. one would think with there losses of KEy players over the years they would suck.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote