HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Hollweg question

Old
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Ryan Hollweg question

how come Hollweg has not played much in the Sabres series??? I would think with the Sabres speed, Hollweg would be a good fit to play against them instead of Isbister. Isbister aint scoring either, at least Hollweg can skate with them. Are they afraid that he might take a 5 min major for boarding, or is this the end for Hollweg as Byers or Korpedo replaces him on the 4th line next year??

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Nich

isbister gives the team more puck control. that's the answer pretty much. in order to slow down a team like buffalo, the less they have the puck, the better off we are. and imo isbister has done a decent job on the 4th line. honestly, i wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year in that roll

and hollweeg will be back....and byers and korpedo will both be back in hartford in my opinion. korpedo to develop more offensive skills, and byers to round out his game. of course baring a monster camp

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:35 PM
lotus

he took penalties and we lost, then Renney "saw something" he liked in Isbister. Overall im against changing anything else right now, go with whats working.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 03:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'd think part of it also has to do with Avery.

Before Avery was here, Hollweg was playing the role of agressor/antagonizer.

I don't think its a coincidence that since Avery has arrived Hollweg has sat more.

Avery had 174 PIM this season and Hollweg 131 PIM -

Having both on the ice, disciplined or not in a tight playoff series against a high powered offense such as the Sabres is playing the percentages wrong.

Personally having Isbister on the fourth in his place balances the attack a bit with a right handed shot, a bigger man and more scoring touch. Lets not forget Isbister has 100 career goals compared to Ryans 3. Also 350 more games played.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
isbister gives the team more puck control. that's the answer pretty much.
I completely agree with this statement.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Renney "saw something" he liked in Isbister.
I think the quote was something to the effect of Renney liked his size and physical nature. Other than drawing a penalty in the last game, I really haven't seen Invisibister contribute much more than Hollweg at this point.

My gripe would be, what was the point of skating Orr at all in the playoffs? Renney should have known that, if the Rangers advanced, Orr's lack of speed would render him useless against Buffalo or Ottowa. Hollweg AND Isbister both came in cold and it showed. Both could have been making more of a contribution, IMO, had they gotten themselves in game shape during the Atlanta series.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
he took penalties and we lost, then Renney "saw something" he liked in Isbister. Overall im against changing anything else right now, go with whats working.
What penaltes were that?..Fact is, Renney used him in the 1st two games of the series and the team lost...It had little to do with the 4th line but more with the top 3 lines and the defense..A change was justified...Exit Hollweg enter Isbister..Fair enough..The 4th line still doesn't really play much and really doesn't add all that much against the Sabres (except for the PK of Betts and Orts)..Yes, they had a few good shifts the other nght (drawing a key penalty) but they also fell totally asleep on the Buffalo goal..But, the team is winning and playing well, and the 4th line is fine as is .And Renney has confidence in them...Ride the current line-up..

However, tomorrow night it looks like RUff wants to put Gaustud in and get some banging and crashing going...The 4th line of the Rangers might have an important job of neutralizing that strategy...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
However, tomorrow night it looks like RUff wants to put Gaustud in and get some banging and crashing going...The 4th line of the Rangers might have an important job of neutralizing that strategy...

I agree. If Gaustud plays he's going to add some "sand paper" as Renney would say. Last thing the Rangers want is for Buffalo to play the type of game that Ruff wants outa them in their building where they get the line match ups they want. Renney has to be on HIS game and put the right line up out there.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Nich hit the nail on the head. Isbister has the size to control the puck along the boards that guys like Hollweg do not. Buffalo doesn't have a defenseman large enough to physically dominate Isbister in the trenches, so he helps there. And there's the added bonus of Buffalo defensemen being more likely to take a penalty when they aren't big enough to knock Isbister off the puck.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote