HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA link - lesser lights

Old
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
UFA link - lesser lights

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this list, but here's a link to a UFA list on the Forecaster site:

http://www.forecaster.ca/demos/hocke...FA-summer-2007

Some lesser-light names that jump out at me that could be good fits and/or bargains:

Joe DiPenta (D): could be a good fit for a 6/7 d-man.

Scott Walker (RW): many have mentioned him here - seems to be a natural fit for Nolan - another Sillinger?

Joe Vasicek (C/LW): has had injury issues the past 2 years, but is only 26 and seemed a rising star to me a few years ago. This would be a bit of a gamble, but depending on what the scouts say he could be the classic late-blooming big guy. Not sure what his attitude/work ethic is like, but Forecaster report is positive FWIW.

Marcus Nilsson (C): definitely a Nolan fit, but maybe not an improvement over what we have on the bottom 2 lines.

Martin Gelinas (LW): another vet that would fit well on a Nolan team, but would they have to risk a 2-year deal to sign him?

Scott Gomez (C): okay, not a lesser light, but I really want him on the Isles

Dean McAmmond (C/LW): speed and a Nolan fit, and having a good playoffs BTW.

Lasse Kukkonen (D): if he really is UFA (seems questionable), he looked to be a really solid young d-man in the games I saw him play in Philly - kind of the opposite of Campoli

Vladimir Orszagh (RW): if healthy again, is a Nolan type and could put up some points in the "new" NHL.

Bryan Muir (D): another 6/7 possibility.

I'm sure there are many others, but these guys seemed appealing to me off a quick review.

BTW, some have mentioned Ossi Vaanaanan on D which sounds good on a lot of levels, but my concern is the lateral mobility issue. If it's true he has issues there, that's a big problem for a defenseman in the league nowadays.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Jones23

vCash: 500
Scott Walker is exactly the type of player that fits into a Nolan coached team.

It will be interesting to see how Nolan and Snow piece this team together with all the uncertainty because of so many UFA's.

Jones23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Atrivis

Not a bad look. I would only disagree with DiPenta. We have WAY too many 6/7 D-Men and most are younger and make less. I would stick with what we have for that position . We need more 1-4, and a 1/2 would be GREAT... in my best Tony the Tiger imitation!!!

Atrivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 12:56 AM
StylinIsle30

Since the blue line's the Islanders' biggest need, I only focused on UFA defensemen, and here were some of the quieter ones that caught my eye...

David Tanabe - CAR - Many on the board were talking about him as a potential desired return when the Blake-to-Carolina rumors were hot. 26-years-old, made $900,000. Inconsistency may frustrate 'Canes into lower offer than other teams.

Darryl Sydor - DAL - I would guess that Dallas would keep him around, but he is 34 and made $2.1-mil this year, which could make him available. A little on the slow side in the new NHL, but a steadying blue line presence & leadership could make him a slightly younger, better, chemically-cleaner version of Sean Hill.

Martin Skoula - MIN - Has won a Cup, been in the league 6+ years, yet is only 27. Made $1.6-mil this season. Makes occasional judgment errors, but still was +9 in the Lemaire system with the Wild. MIN probably keeps him for the experience and age combo, but could be worth a reasonable (slightly overpaying?) midnight 7/1 offer if he's not locked up by then.

Vitaly Vishnevski - NSH - Another guy who has been mentioned in the past on these boards. Big hitter, 27-years-old, been in the league awhile, $1.55-mil this season. Occasional own-zone mistakes, probably from his hitting aggressions. Expect more offense from DiPietro though.

Brad Lukowich - NJ - Bring him back? 30-years-old, $1-mil this year. Wasn't that bad in his stint here, but management mischaracterized him, thinking he was a higher pairing D-man than he actually is. NYI could be an appealing return because he can keep his family in the same place.

Cory Sarich (TB) and Scott Hannan (SJ) have been mentioned enough on here where they wouldn't be considered lesser lights, therefore they do not need much of a bio from my perspective, but for the right offer, I would certainly consider both of them to be potential assets on the Isles' blue line.

StylinIsle30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:13 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinIsle30 View Post
Since the blue line's the Islanders' biggest need, I only focused on UFA defensemen, and here were some of the quieter ones that caught my eye...

David Tanabe - CAR - Many on the board were talking about him as a potential desired return when the Blake-to-Carolina rumors were hot. 26-years-old, made $900,000. Inconsistency may frustrate 'Canes into lower offer than other teams.

Darryl Sydor - DAL - I would guess that Dallas would keep him around, but he is 34 and made $2.1-mil this year, which could make him available. A little on the slow side in the new NHL, but a steadying blue line presence & leadership could make him a slightly younger, better, chemically-cleaner version of Sean Hill.

Martin Skoula - MIN - Has won a Cup, been in the league 6+ years, yet is only 27. Made $1.6-mil this season. Makes occasional judgment errors, but still was +9 in the Lemaire system with the Wild. MIN probably keeps him for the experience and age combo, but could be worth a reasonable (slightly overpaying?) midnight 7/1 offer if he's not locked up by then.

Vitaly Vishnevski - NSH - Another guy who has been mentioned in the past on these boards. Big hitter, 27-years-old, been in the league awhile, $1.55-mil this season. Occasional own-zone mistakes, probably from his hitting aggressions. Expect more offense from DiPietro though.

Brad Lukowich - NJ - Bring him back? 30-years-old, $1-mil this year. Wasn't that bad in his stint here, but management mischaracterized him, thinking he was a higher pairing D-man than he actually is. NYI could be an appealing return because he can keep his family in the same place.

Cory Sarich (TB) and Scott Hannan (SJ) have been mentioned enough on here where they wouldn't be considered lesser lights, therefore they do not need much of a bio from my perspective, but for the right offer, I would certainly consider both of them to be potential assets on the Isles' blue line.
I would LOVE Vishnevski HERE

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 01:39 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I can't vouch for the accuracy of this list, but here's a link to a UFA list on the Forecaster site:

http://www.forecaster.ca/demos/hocke...FA-summer-2007

Some lesser-light names that jump out at me that could be good fits and/or bargains:

Joe DiPenta (D): could be a good fit for a 6/7 d-man.

Scott Walker (RW): many have mentioned him here - seems to be a natural fit for Nolan - another Sillinger?

Joe Vasicek (C/LW): has had injury issues the past 2 years, but is only 26 and seemed a rising star to me a few years ago. This would be a bit of a gamble, but depending on what the scouts say he could be the classic late-blooming big guy. Not sure what his attitude/work ethic is like, but Forecaster report is positive FWIW.

Marcus Nilsson (C): definitely a Nolan fit, but maybe not an improvement over what we have on the bottom 2 lines.

Martin Gelinas (LW): another vet that would fit well on a Nolan team, but would they have to risk a 2-year deal to sign him?

Scott Gomez (C): okay, not a lesser light, but I really want him on the Isles

Dean McAmmond (C/LW): speed and a Nolan fit, and having a good playoffs BTW.

Lasse Kukkonen (D): if he really is UFA (seems questionable), he looked to be a really solid young d-man in the games I saw him play in Philly - kind of the opposite of Campoli

Vladimir Orszagh (RW): if healthy again, is a Nolan type and could put up some points in the "new" NHL.

Bryan Muir (D): another 6/7 possibility.

I'm sure there are many others, but these guys seemed appealing to me off a quick review.

BTW, some have mentioned Ossi Vaanaanan on D which sounds good on a lot of levels, but my concern is the lateral mobility issue. If it's true he has issues there, that's a big problem for a defenseman in the league nowadays.
Outside of Gomez, the only thing these kind of players would improve is depth.

Which don't get me wrong, is necessary, but there are bigger fish to fry before addressing depth needs IMO.

There's a real dearth of top-6, and top-4 D talent on this team, that should come first. Though Walker would be a nice fit on the 2nd line, very Nolan-esque.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that is a mistake, as to be a group VI UFA like the website claims Lasse will be, you need to have played fewer than 80 NHL games. Lasse's played 85.

Some nice thoughts on there, Walker is an obvious choice, would make a nice RW for the Isles. Vasicek could prove an upgrade as a checking line pivot and seems worth the risk. McAmmond and Orszagh also seem like good fits in checking roles, and wouldl likely be upgrades over guys like Asham or Hilbert.

Another name that stands out to me who I didn't realize was set to be UFA was Rusty Fedotenko. If we can't sign Smyth, I'd set my sights on him.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Another name that stands out to me who I didn't realize was set to be UFA was Rusty Fedotenko. If we can't sign Smyth, I'd set my sights on him.
I'd hope that we aim higher (Drury, Gomez, etc) but I agree about Feds. He's a very useful player. Seems like he'd fit well on a Nolan team.

05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
I'd hope that we aim higher (Drury, Gomez, etc) but I agree about Feds. He's a very useful player. Seems like he'd fit well on a Nolan team.
Well, I meant as an option at LW. We should have our sights set on Drury/Gomez/Briere regardless of if we sign Smyth.

Old
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Well, I meant as an option at LW. We should have our sights set on Drury/Gomez/Briere regardless of if we sign Smyth.
Seph, I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Exactly. Don't just stop at one player. I would love for the Isles to do that but I am sure you know there is only one possible way that can happen. I wont say it... you know what it is.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Seph, I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Is this another Simpson quote?

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
Is this another Simpson quote?
It is a paraphrase of one, yes.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Section322

I think that we need to get way more physical on the blueline. So heres who I would take a look at.

Sean O'Donnell- A little old at 35, but hey this is the Isles were talking about. Makes around 1.5 mil

Andy Sutton- Love his size 6'6 245lbs but makes $2 mil plus

Jiri Fischer- Good size, 26 years old making $1.5 mil

Aaron Miller- Again a little old, makes $2.3 which is a little pricey for a guy his age I think

Dan McGillis- 34yrs old makes $2.2 mil

Scott Hannan- 28yrs old at $2.2 mil

Craig Rivet- 32yrs old at $2.5 mil

Corey Sarich- 28 yrs old $1.9 mil

Section322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section322 View Post
I think that we need to get way more physical on the blueline. So heres who I would take a look at.

Sean O'Donnell- A little old at 35, but hey this is the Isles were talking about. Makes around 1.5 mil

Andy Sutton- Love his size 6'6 245lbs but makes $2 mil plus

Jiri Fischer- Good size, 26 years old making $1.5 mil

Aaron Miller- Again a little old, makes $2.3 which is a little pricey for a guy his age I think

Dan McGillis- 34yrs old makes $2.2 mil

Scott Hannan- 28yrs old at $2.2 mil

Craig Rivet- 32yrs old at $2.5 mil

Corey Sarich- 28 yrs old $1.9 mil
If we sign more than one of those guys (other than Sarich and Hannan, that is), along with Witt already back there, we could make a case for slowest blueline ever. Look no further than Philly for how well that works out.

Also, as far as I know, Jiri Fischer has not returned to play. He is probably not available to anyone at any price, given his condition.

Old
05-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Section322

Quote:
If we sign more than one of those guys (other than Sarich and Hannan, that is), along with Witt already back there, we could make a case for slowest blueline ever. Look no further than Philly for how well that works out.

Also, as far as I know, Jiri Fischer has not returned to play. He is probably not available to anyone at any price, given his condition.
Im not saying get more than one of those guys, just one. If Hill is not going to be resigned then his physical play has to be replaced. I think we need someone with size who can acctually clear the front of the net. And if they do get a slower more physical Dman Nolan CANNOT pair him up with Witt. The Hill/Witt pairing bothered me all year.

Old
05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Seph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section322 View Post
Im not saying get more than one of those guys, just one. If Hill is not going to be resigned then his physical play has to be replaced. I think we need someone with size who can acctually clear the front of the net. And if they do get a slower more physical Dman Nolan CANNOT pair him up with Witt. The Hill/Witt pairing bothered me all year.
I also would like to replace Hill's hitting, but on the other hand, do we really need to replace his slowness also?

Old
05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
RWWallpaper

The overall lack of footspeed, at both the forward AND defense position, is the biggest problem facing this team right now. It led to, in no small way, the parade to the penalty box caused by one obstruction foul after another. Any player we add this summer MUST be well equipt to handle the "new" NHL style otherwise we will be no better off then we were before we signed them.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
BennyBST

For the 4th line i was thinking...

How about a guy like Brad Winchester who played with edmonton? he's a group VI unrestricted free agent. He would add size 6'5'' 230, and toughness. He made $500k last yr. He might be a cheap replacement for Asham. If he doesn't make the team he can be assigned to Bridgeport.

Tom Kostopoulous? he's similar to Winchester, but can provide a little more offense.
Adam Mair? seems like a nolan-type guy
Jed Ortmeyer?
Ville Nieminen?

Upgrades...
Todd White? would be a pretty good upgrade over Randy Robitaille.
Jeff O'Neill? upgrade over Kozlov, seems like he's been around forever, but is only 31.
Yannick Perreault? Great on faceoffs, but is 36, had 21 goals last season.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Section322

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Yannick Perreault? Great on faceoffs, but is 36, had 21 goals last season.
The Isles offered Perreault a contract last year when he was an UFA, and he did not want to come here.

Old
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
RWWallpaper

Not to mention you could time him from blue line to blue line with a calander...no thanks.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Outside of Gomez, the only thing these kind of players would improve is depth.

Which don't get me wrong, is necessary, but there are bigger fish to fry before addressing depth needs IMO.

There's a real dearth of top-6, and top-4 D talent on this team, that should come first. Though Walker would be a nice fit on the 2nd line, very Nolan-esque.
BI (and Seph and Killer too), I agree that they need to dump Yashin. They need to sign Smyth (6 years at $6 million or 7-8 years at a lower annual amount) and try very hard to sign a high-end UFA forward (my guy is Gomez - 7 years at $6 million? - 10 years at $5 million? - and I'm not kidding).

Assuming they do all that, and upgrade the defense as well, there won't be a lot of money left over considering that Yashin's buyout will also count against the cap (and Charles' wallet). In fact, I could see Charles agreeing to buyout Yashin on the condition that Snow and Nolan will have to work within a tighter team budget, at least initially.

There might be some cheap kids in the lineup (from among Bergenheim, Tambellini, Okposo, Neilsen, Comeau, Nokelainen). But I think they'll try to trim the fat elsewhere too. If they can deal Satan they could replace him with Walker at half the price. Basically I see this team next year being a few high quality forwards mixed in with Nolan-vets and cheap kids and Yashin's empty locker and they'll go to war with that.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I also would like to replace Hill's hitting, but on the other hand, do we really need to replace his slowness also?
That's why I think Vaananen would be an ideal fit. He's got good wheels, the concerns about his 'lateral mobility' is just THN quick cap exaggeration, he plays the body and is steady in the defensive zone.

You won't get any offense, though. That's the knock on him.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2007, 11:46 PM
In Exisle

3 guys i really like a lot that may fly under the radar are:

scott walker - LW
ossi vaananen - D
todd white - C

some other pretty good options could be guys like vasicek or rivet.

In Exisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
BI (and Seph and Killer too), I agree that they need to dump Yashin. They need to sign Smyth (6 years at $6 million or 7-8 years at a lower annual amount) and try very hard to sign a high-end UFA forward (my guy is Gomez - 7 years at $6 million? - 10 years at $5 million? - and I'm not kidding).

Assuming they do all that, and upgrade the defense as well, there won't be a lot of money left over considering that Yashin's buyout will also count against the cap (and Charles' wallet). In fact, I could see Charles agreeing to buyout Yashin on the condition that Snow and Nolan will have to work within a tighter team budget, at least initially.

There might be some cheap kids in the lineup (from among Bergenheim, Tambellini, Okposo, Neilsen, Comeau, Nokelainen). But I think they'll try to trim the fat elsewhere too. If they can deal Satan they could replace him with Walker at half the price. Basically I see this team next year being a few high quality forwards mixed in with Nolan-vets and cheap kids and Yashin's empty locker and they'll go to war with that.
That would be a dream off season my friend. And would essentially be my approach. On second thought, I actually like the Walker idea, seemingly replacing Satan's and Bake's production, compounded by help from Gomez, Bergie and Tambs.

A lot can happen to continue re-shaping this organization, and I have faith that Nolan will make his mark. But how much of a mark that may be, that is the lingering question. Here's hoping they take some notes from this message board.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote