HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(HF Story) Doug Lynch Q&A

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 07:16 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) Doug Lynch Q&A

I had an opportunity to talk to Doug Lynch yesterday and Holly has the interview up on HF's front page already!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
12-21-2003, 07:39 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
great article guy!

Lynch gave some nice sweet answers...he should become a politician i know its late but have u ever asked him who he thinks he plays like the most or tries to emulate?

Old
12-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Lowetide

One thing I really like about your writing Guy is that I come away feeling like I know the player a little better. Not just strengths and weaknesses, but the character as well. Excellent job.

As an aside, hockey player nicknames are just awful. Baseball has terrific nicknames, hockey it's just lame. If there's a Smith it's Smitty, and on it goes. Lyncher? Winnie?

Thanks Flamer!

Old
12-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
great article guy!

Lynch gave some nice sweet answers...he should become a politician i know its late but have u ever asked him who he thinks he plays like the most or tries to emulate?
He has referred to himself as a "Jason Smith clone".

Old
12-21-2003, 09:43 AM
theoil

Nice article Guy. Lynch sounds very mature for a 20 year old. Was this your impression as well? Was there anything else that came with the comments about his high risk decision making or his need to work on his outside speed? Thanks

Old
12-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Excellent article Guy !

Just bought a game-worn of Lynch and i can say: it was a good decision to buy thta jersey. (weared it on Friday, when my german team lost 6-0 on the road and we travelled the whole day to see that game).

Old
12-21-2003, 11:23 AM
momentai

Great. That Lynch has got a good head on his shoulders.

Winnie? Geez.. Now wouldn't that be embarassing?

Old
12-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Cerebral

I'm really starting to like what i hear about Lynch! Who is closer to NHL-ready in your mind though, Lynch or Woywitka?

Old
12-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Shizuka

Another great article and read, Guy!

The kid sounds like a leader alright, and I hope he gets at least a cup of coffee here at some point this season.

Old
12-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Derek

From what i saw in training camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
He has referred to himself as a "Jason Smith clone".
and watching him in Red Deer. he is more of a two way dman, excellent passer and puck handler and tough in his own end. In reading the article again, Lynch never compared himself to J Smith, HF questioner said there are comparisons to J Smith. Not a bad comparison to have anyway, but I think he is more like a Brewer style than Smith from what I have seen of him in Jr.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Thanks everybody for the compliments.

I've heard lynch compare d to Jason smith numerous times and have actually heard himself make the comparison before too. I didn't ask him to do it again, simply because it's been done.

I think Woywitka is closer but both could be in the line up next year (stay tuned for the K.P. interview for more on them).

As for nicknames... yeah most are pretty dull. I was probing for some interesting ones just in case. "Smack Down" is different. We've got "Chopper", "Gator" and "Chico" up here now... so not everybody's is the standard formula.

I could do without the "Flamer" moniker but I've heard worse. I get "Geezer" (or is that "Guy-zer"?)a lot from my brothers and sisters - in -law.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:58 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i'll begin sticking the Story threads from now, if i dont someone PM me so that i do. Also when i notice there is not enough activity i'll unstick it.

Back to the topic i loved g2k (i think) reason for Moreau's nickname of "chopper", busy high sticking everyone in sight

Old
12-23-2003, 07:47 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Thanks everybody for the compliments.

I've heard lynch compare d to Jason smith numerous times and have actually heard himself make the comparison before too. I didn't ask him to do it again, simply because it's been done.

I think Woywitka is closer but both could be in the line up next year (stay tuned for the K.P. interview for more on them).

As for nicknames... yeah most are pretty dull. I was probing for some interesting ones just in case. "Smack Down" is different. We've got "Chopper", "Gator" and "Chico" up here now... so not everybody's is the standard formula.

I could do without the "Flamer" moniker but I've heard worse. I get "Geezer" (or is that "Guy-zer"?)a lot from my brothers and sisters - in -law.
From watching Lynch play a lot this year, the only thing that will probably prevent him from getting a callup to the Oilers is that he does take a lot of risks with the puck, which was fine in junior, but will cost him in the NHL.

And that is perfectly fine... there is nothing wrong with needing a skill or two to work on. The only other thing is (like mentioned in the article), he can get burned to the outside, but he is making up for that by being positionally better. I have never (well in my 4 years of watching the Oilers farm team), seen an Oiler player develop as well, or as fast as Lynch has. He is easily 5 times better than he was at the start of the year, and he was a pretty decent rookie to start the year.

It's funny how he mentioned Thompson and Allen... everytime Allen and Lynch are on the bench at the same time (which isn't often), or they skate past each other on a stoppage, they are always exchanging words, which 9 times out of 10 result in a head nod from Lynch. That Allen deal is looking better and better, even if he never plays an NHL game. Rocky is out there, which allows Lynch to play as physical as he wants (no one is going to try and get back at him). Eventually Lynch is going to have to fight his own battles (which I don't think he is reluctant to do), but in the meantime, Rocky has the kids back which is looking like a pretty good move right now.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

great input dawgbone... nice to have readers in the area who can give us eye witness accounts too.

Closed Thread